SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

50Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 5 - TDL additions (Go Big or Go Small)

Mar. 24 at 6:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
B2B with travel*

Even then look what happened with Det even when their flight was delayed

It's a bit of an excuse but after the last Carolina game would expect a better response
Mar. 24 at 6:51 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
That had to have been the laziest and worst period of hockey I've witnessed from the Leafs

Brutal
Mar. 24 at 7:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Yeah im ready to say adios to Robertson. He's been downright horrible in this last stretch. Started off the season so well too...
oneX liked this.
Mar. 24 at 7:30 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Yeah im ready to say adios to Robertson. He's been downright horrible in this last stretch. Started off the season so well too...

LIKE WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING ROBBY
Mar. 24 at 7:30 p.m.

I understand. I'll just say that I'd like to see him under a different coach before trading him and let's be honest..can you honestly say that a coaching change is not a real possibility if this team underachieves in the playoffs?
Mar. 24 at 7:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Keefe didn't get em ready as wow not been impressed

And yes it's a b2b and travel

Enough of the excuse. This is a team who embarrassed yah Saturday play like u want to win
Mar. 24 at 7:56 p.m.

He's falling back into his old habit of trying to do too much. Feeling the pressure of knowing he's likely about to come right back out, I'd bet. Shame too because he'd really reined it in prior to this last bit. Should never have been taken out, imo.

I'd consider moving on not because of him, but because he will never be given a real chance here. The guy was leading all our LW's by landslide in rate of production (probably still is) and didn't even get a sniff in the top 6 and got pulled the minute his game dipped.

Free this man.
Mar. 24 at 8:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: oneX
I understand. I'll just say that I'd like to see him under a different coach before trading him and let's be honest..can you honestly say that a coaching change is not a real possibility if this team underachieves in the playoffs?

This

Honestly try a coach that understands this but is also competitive

Look at Laviolette with Lafreniere
Mar. 24 at 8:17 p.m.
In the name of all things sacred, PLEASE give Robertson a shot with Matthews. I swear every time they’re out there together good **** happens
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 24 at 8:17 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Right on queue. No need to thank me!
Mar. 24 at 8:18 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
In the name of all things sacred, PLEASE give Robertson a shot with Matthews. I swear every time they’re out there together good **** happens

Putting another scoring threat next to Matthews opens up the ice for both guys. Not sure why Keefe is so resistant to the idea
Mar. 24 at 8:22 p.m.
Putting another scoring threat next to Matthews opens up the ice for both guys. Not sure why Keefe is so resistant to the idea

EXACTLY

And as much as Robertson isn’t a hard-nosed forechecker, he’s more than capable of being quick on pucks and disruptive to Dmen trying to breakout, and I think Matthews/Marner/Willy really thrive with that because they’re so good at anticipating what guys are gonna do under pressure and take advantage

I REALLY wanna see it.
Mar. 24 at 8:25 p.m.
I gotta say I find it hilarious when we do AGMs and other fan bases say that Robertson isn't worth anywhere near a 2nd. Most value him around a 4th.

He is top 25 in the league in 5v5 goals per 60 and he's still only 22. It feels like he's been around forever cause he played some games at 18 but its just absurd that he's around the same age as guys like Reichel (less than a year older) who has scored at a 5 times worse pace but is still see by many fans as guaranteed top 6 guy for Chicago moving forward.

Just crazy how talented he is, very overlooked because he's behind guys who are just world beaters in the Leafs top 9.
Mar. 24 at 8:31 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
EXACTLY

And as much as Robertson isn’t a hard-nosed forechecker, he’s more than capable of being quick on pucks and disruptive to Dmen trying to breakout, and I think Matthews/Marner/Willy really thrive with that because they’re so good at anticipating what guys are gonna do under pressure and take advantage

I REALLY wanna see it.

If there is one thing that we 100% need to do soon is split Nylander/Marner/Matthews. Imagine how deep that team would be. Personally I would do:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Marner
Knies - Kampf - Jarnkrok

If we need to be more offensive then swap Robertson for Dewar then move Knies up to the third line.

In the summer we can dump Kampf and Jarnkrok to clear another $4.5M in cap space, put Dewar as the 4C and Gregor/Reaves as the 4RW. That would give us $25M to spend on D, Goalie and resigning Bert+Domi.
Mar. 24 at 8:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Once again Leafs special teams **** em and just in time for playoffs to

Tried to play 20mins of hockey to win and failed

Only person to praise is Woll
Mar. 24 at 8:41 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
If there is one thing that we 100% need to do soon is split Nylander/Marner/Matthews. Imagine how deep that team would be. Personally I would do:

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Robertson - Holmberg - Marner
Knies - Kampf - Jarnkrok

If we need to be more offensive then swap Robertson for Dewar then move Knies up to the third line.

In the summer we can dump Kampf and Jarnkrok to clear another $4.5M in cap space, put Dewar as the 4C and Gregor/Reaves as the 4RW. That would give us $25M to spend on D, Goalie and resigning Bert+Domi.

U dont put a 10.9m guy on the third line

Either drop Marner to play with Tavares or Domi goes back to 3c.
Mar. 24 at 8:43 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
This team left Woll out to dry...

But htf did Matthews not score and wtf if their strategy to throw a prayer from the blue line on special teams
Mar. 24 at 8:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Leafsfan98
This team left Woll out to dry...

But htf did Matthews not score and wtf if their strategy to throw a prayer from the blue line on special teams

Cause Matthews decided not to try tonight along with the whole team until the final 15mins of the game

Only noticeable guy all game was Woll

Dont care if it was a b2b with travel Woll played his heart out and they left him to dry. Only thing to be proud of is they werent shutout

Special teams once again let them down and were getting ever closer to playoffs again
Mar. 24 at 8:50 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: aadoyle
Cause Matthews decided not to try tonight along with the whole team until the final 15mins of the game

Only noticeable guy all game was Woll

Dont care if it was a b2b with travel Woll played his heart out and they left him to dry. Only thing to be proud of is they werent shutout

Special teams once again let them down and were getting ever closer to playoffs again

What's up with your hate with Matthews? He literally had 6 shots and 9+ attempts... Freddie was unbelievable

But this team was mostly let Woll down at 5v5, from the Strat of the 3rd to 11 mins and zero shots when you're down 2 is horrible and embarrassing
Mar. 24 at 8:51 p.m.
U dont put a 10.9m guy on the third line

Either drop Marner to play with Tavares or Domi goes back to 3c.

Pittsburgh won with Kessel on the third line. It's a strategy that works.
Mar. 24 at 8:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: fangm
Pittsburgh won with Kessel on the third line. It's a strategy that works.

Kessel wasnt making 10m lul
Mar. 24 at 8:52 p.m.
What's up with your hate with Matthews? He literally had 6 shots and 9+ attempts... Freddie was unbelievable

But this team was mostly let Woll down at 5v5, from the Strat of the 3rd to 11 mins and zero shots when you're down 2 is horrible and embarrassing

Matthews hate isn't warranted but he definitely just doesn't show up to 20/30 games a year. Sheldon has pretty much admitted as much.
Mar. 24 at 8:53 p.m.
average joe
Once again Leafs special teams **** em and just in time for playoffs to

Tried to play 20mins of hockey to win and failed

Only person to praise is Woll

PP + PK should be >= 100% (maybe 105% for a better team).
Today (CAR) = 67% (L)
(EDM) = 93% (W)
(WAS) = 80% (W)
(PHI) = 133% (L)
(CAR) = 60% (L)
(PHI) = 67% (W)
(MTL) = 80% (W)
(BOS) = 85% (L)
(BUF) = 100% (W)
(BOS) = 50% (L)

So in past 10 games, Leafs are 5 Wins, 5 Losses. But in terms of the special teams battle, Leafs are 1 Win, 1 Tie, 8 Losses.
It's another example of making life harder for themselves.
I thought PK was biggest problem heading into the deadline, and result show they didn't address it.
Hakuna Matata

Nobody played well that game and the thing is Matthews is the best guy so we expect the best as he is gonna be their highest payed player but tonight nobody including him looked good till the final 15 mins of this game

And were getting closer to playoffs and if this continues we can have problems as we have seen him and the others do this there to
Kessel wasnt making 10m lul

He had a similar % of the cap.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll