Boston takes Vanacek to get Holtz
NJD
  1. Ullmark, Linus
Additional Details:
Ullmark fills the NJD void
BOS
  1. Hanifin, Noah
Additional Details:
Local kid comes home. Only if he is willing to sign an extension.
CGY
  1. DeBrusk, Jake
  2. Lohrei, Mason
  3. Merkulov, Georgi
  4. 2026 2nd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Lohrei is a plug and play talent replacement for Hanifin. Similar strengths even if he’s not 100% ready. The deal requires DeBrusk wanting to stay in Calgary, which I think is a reasonable bet if he’s offered a market contract. Merk and a second is designed to put it over the top
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$79,728,334$4,500,000$1,350,000$3,771,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$11,250,000$11,250,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
RW
RFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 7
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 7
$3,475,000$3,475,000
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$1,237,500$1,237,500
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$870,000$870,000 (Performance Bonus$80,000$80K)
C
RFA - 3
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 3 at 3:14 p.m.
Your deal requires Calgary wanting DeBrusk which they almost certainly don't
Mar. 3 at 3:16 p.m.
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
Your deal requires Calgary wanting DeBrusk which they almost certainly don't

You sure about that? There is some smoke that they are one of three teams who have contacted Boston about him specifically.

Either way, I’d prefer they walk away from discussions on Hanifin if the price is too high.

Almost as interested in the chaos it creates if the team that trades for him signs him as him on July 1st
Mar. 3 at 3:32 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: Celtics21
You sure about that? There is some smoke that they are one of three teams who have contacted Boston about him specifically.

Either way, I’d prefer they walk away from discussions on Hanifin if the price is too high.

Almost as interested in the chaos it creates if the team that trades for him signs him as him on July 1st

Also they could just flip him. Lohrei+2nd+Merk is already a great start. If they can turn Debrusk into a 1st that would be ideal
Mar. 3 at 3:44 p.m.
Edited Mar. 3 at 3:53 p.m.
Quoting: dgibb10
Also they could just flip him. Lohrei+2nd+Merk is already a great start. If they can turn Debrusk into a 1st that would be ideal

This isn’t a super hard discussion. If Calgary can get better, I’d be surprised. All the bluster aside, I think I’m over the general excitement about bringing the local kid home angle and am just interested in hockey trades at this point. There will only be one Hanifin deal.

If Calgary can get better, great. I’ve spent the past few weeks watching Calgary fans start with one set of prospects and then move to another set from the same team speaking of them in glowing terms after the fact.

I will give Ledge and Dairy credit for mentioning Hunter before the Lindholm deal, but no one mentioned the Dallas prospect they got nor did they view Kuzmenko as a positive before the deal
dgibb10 liked this.
Mar. 3 at 3:55 p.m.
This isn’t a super hard discussion. If Calgary can get better, I’d be surprised. All the bluster aside, I think I’m over the general excitement about bringing the local kid home angle and am just interested in hockey trades at this point. There will only be one Hanifin deal.

If Calgary can get better, great. I’ve spent the past few weeks watching Calgary fans start with one set of prospects and then move to another set from the same team speaking of them in glowing terms after the fact.

I've been saying a 1st, lohrei and gryz pretty much since the draft. I was constantly told that's way too much. I think the package you offer here is worth more then that. Bruins fans are finally willing to pay now that he's not a sure thing in the summer I guess.
Mar. 3 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: Shaun80
I've been saying a 1st, lohrei and gryz pretty much since the draft. I was constantly told that's way too much. I think the package you offer here is worth more then that. Bruins fans are finally willing to pay now that he's not a sure thing in the summer I guess.

Maybe. It’s certainly closer and is really only a consideration if the Bruins have decided not to give DeBrusk an extension now to get flexibility in the offseason.

Still wouldn’t give Lohrei and a 2025 or 2026 first for Hanifin. I’m hesitant about this deal if they are planning on signing DeBrusk now. Could easily see the noise around him being about him removing lockout protection from his agents ask
Mar. 3 at 5:14 p.m.

Smoke from who? This is the first I'm hearing of this.

DeBrusk does nothing for Calgary, Flames have way too many wingers as is, so many that we are playing one of our top prospects on the 4th line, the other is stuck in the minors. And we have a winger playing center. Not to mention Greer is on IR
Mar. 3 at 5:46 p.m.
Smoke from who? This is the first I'm hearing of this.

DeBrusk does nothing for Calgary, Flames have way too many wingers as is, so many that we are playing one of our top prospects on the 4th line, the other is stuck in the minors. And we have a winger playing center. Not to mention Greer is on IR

Pierre McGuire mentioned there would be an interest in FA. Dom Tiano flagged that they called Boston about him. They also tried to acquire him two years ago as well.

Sharangovich is fine at center or forward. I thought there were discussions that he doesnt want to be in Callgary long term. Zary is arguably interchangeable at either position. He should be fine and I think the regression since the start of the season is predictable m. Poposil, Hunt, and Pelletier are replaceable players so far at the NHL level.

I believe you’ve overrated a lot of your forward prospects outside of Coronato . I thought he’s down in the AHL for the same reason Lysell is … to preserve his ELC, but I guess not
Mar. 3 at 5:59 p.m.
Pierre McGuire mentioned there would be an interest in FA. Dom Tiano flagged that they called Boston about him. They also tried to acquire him two years ago as well.

Sharangovich is fine at center or forward. I thought there were discussions that he doesnt want to be in Callgary long term. Zary is arguably interchangeable at either position. He should be fine and I think the regression since the start of the season is predictable m. Poposil, Hunt, and Pelletier are replaceable players so far at the NHL level.

I believe you’ve overrated a lot of your forward prospects outside of Coronato and I think he’s down in the AHL for the same reason Lysell is … to preserve his ELC.

Calgary was a contender 2 years ago so logically they had interest in DeBrusk. I've never heard of Dom Tiano.

Zary hasn't regressed, he's still been one of the Flames best players every night. Just because he's not scoring at 20% anymore does not change his game presence. If anything he's been consistently improving.

Pospisil is an energy guy, I don't expect him to be a long term top 6 forward.

Hunt is waiver fodder.

Pelletier literally just returned to from a shoulder surgery he got in the preseason. He's played 7 games this year, give him some runway before you write him off.

You are completely forgetting about Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, Coleman, and Huberdeau. There isn't any room for DeBrusk, especially at his age since he won't fit our next competitive window
Mar. 3 at 6:05 p.m.
Calgary was a contender 2 years ago so logically they had interest in DeBrusk. I've never heard of Dom Tiano.

Zary hasn't regressed, he's still been one of the Flames best players every night. Just because he's not scoring at 20% anymore does not change his game presence. If anything he's been consistently improving.

Pospisil is an energy guy, I don't expect him to be a long term top 6 forward.

Hunt is waiver fodder.

Pelletier literally just returned to from a shoulder surgery he got in the preseason. He's played 7 games this year, give him some runway before you write him off.

You are completely forgetting about Mangiapane, Kuzmenko, Coleman, and Huberdeau. There isn't any room for DeBrusk, especially at his age since he won't fit our next competitive window

I view your next competitive window as closer than you think apparently as long as you keep Markstrom. Use your FA space intelligently to replace defenders and have a few young players emerge, you should be a playoff caliber team.

Kuzmenko is a replaceable player if there ever was one. Last I checked, there are multiple lines that play and having someone like Debrusk would be super useful for Coronato.
Mar. 3 at 6:36 p.m.
I view your next competitive window as closer than you think apparently as long as you keep Markstrom. Use your FA space intelligently to replace defenders and have a few young players emerge, you should be a playoff caliber team.

Kuzmenko is a replaceable player if there ever was one. Last I checked, there are multiple lines that play and having someone like Debrusk would be super useful for Coronato.

Calgary is in dire need of a 1C. I think their rebuild will take at least 2 years but probably not more than 3. I don't think it will be longer than that because a lot of their young guys are starting to push for lineup spots now or are already making impacts. Calgary will sell off Mange and Kuzmenko before next year's deadline. They should sell Sharangovich too but I'm not sure they will.

A playoff caliber team should not be the goal though. They should be aiming to be a contender.

Why exactly is DeBrusk a better fit than Kuzmenko, Sharangovich, or Mangiapane? I'm sure Calgary will kick tires on JDB in the off-season as a free agent but as of right now there isn't a logical roster spot for him and the Flames want picks and prospects. Our current wingers are Huberdeau, Kuzmenko, Zary, Pospisil, Mangiapane, Coleman, Pelletier, Greer, and Duehr. Then we have Coronato, Schwindt, and Klapka who are NHL ready or close. Greer and Duehr are both 4th liners and Pospisil may end up 4th line eventually but that's still too many wingers, all with term or team control.
Mar. 3 at 7:12 p.m.
Edited Mar. 3 at 7:25 p.m.
Calgary is in dire need of a 1C. I think their rebuild will take at least 2 years but probably not more than 3. I don't think it will be longer than that because a lot of their young guys are starting to push for lineup spots now or are already making impacts. Calgary will sell off Mange and Kuzmenko before next year's deadline. They should sell Sharangovich too but I'm not sure they will.

A playoff caliber team should not be the goal though. They should be aiming to be a contender.

Why exactly is DeBrusk a better fit than Kuzmenko, Sharangovich, or Mangiapane? I'm sure Calgary will kick tires on JDB in the off-season as a free agent but as of right now there isn't a logical roster spot for him and the Flames want picks and prospects. Our current wingers are Huberdeau, Kuzmenko, Zary, Pospisil, Mangiapane, Coleman, Pelletier, Greer, and Duehr. Then we have Coronato, Schwindt, and Klapka who are NHL ready or close. Greer and Duehr are both 4th liners and Pospisil may end up 4th line eventually but that's still too many wingers, all with term or team control.

DeBrusk is in the 87th percentile in EV Offense and 92nd in EV defense. I realize his shot effectiveness is lower than expected this year translating into lower goal numbers, but I’m comfortable he’s viewed as a 200 foot player who can easily score between 20 and 30 goals. Pretty much assume most GM’s view him that way as well. I personally think it is a no brainer for Boston to resign him, but I could see Sweeney wanting flexibility on free agent pursuits

Sharangovich will likely be your third line center and he’s in the bottom quarter (21%) of the league with regards to defensive efficiency. Mangiapane is in the 37th percentile defensively. I’d think you’d like atleast one 200 foot forward with either of them. Atleast Coronato tries defensively, Kuzmenko doesn’t work well with others and forces offensive play, which is the exact role you want Coronato in. Play him on the same line as Kuzmenko and you might as well expect a disappointing performance out of Coronato.

Ultimately, I’m probably the wrong person to talk to about a Hanifin deal. I think he’s close to the top quarter of defenseman (not quite in it) and there are several defenseman in the FA market that will bring what he brings with one or two who would be better fits with McAvoy. I’m actually OK if he gets trade to Florida or Tampa Bay, because it opens up other free agent possibilities if he signs. I’d love the story, but the hockey combination is off
Mar. 3 at 10:12 p.m.
DeBrusk is in the 87th percentile in EV Offense and 92nd in EV defense. I realize his shot effectiveness is lower than expected this year translating into lower goal numbers, but I’m comfortable he’s viewed as a 200 foot player who can easily score between 20 and 30 goals. Pretty much assume most GM’s view him that way as well. I personally think it is a no brainer for Boston to resign him, but I could see Sweeney wanting flexibility on free agent pursuits

Sharangovich will likely be your third line center and he’s in the bottom quarter (21%) of the league with regards to defensive efficiency. Mangiapane is in the 37th percentile defensively. I’d think you’d like atleast one 200 foot forward with either of them. Atleast Coronato tries defensively, Kuzmenko doesn’t work well with others and forces offensive play, which is the exact role you want Coronato in. Play him on the same line as Kuzmenko and you might as well expect a disappointing performance out of Coronato.

Ultimately, I’m probably the wrong person to talk to about a Hanifin deal. I think he’s close to the top quarter of defenseman (not quite in it) and there are several defenseman in the FA market that will bring what he brings with one or two who would be better fits with McAvoy. I’m actually OK if he gets trade to Florida or Tampa Bay, because it opens up other free agent possibilities if he signs. I’d love the story, but the hockey combination is off

Huh? Mangiapane and Sharangovich are both very strong defensively. Your thought process here is extremely flawed.

I'm not going to argue Kuzmenko's defense but he's also someone we are almost certainly flipping to a contender within the next year and a half.

The main issue is by the time Calgary starts turning the corner DeBrusk will be almost or already 30. There isn't currently a place for him in the lineup and as stands there won't be one next year. They would just keep Mangiapane instead of they wanted that
Mar. 3 at 11:44 p.m.
Edited Mar. 4 at 12:41 a.m.
Huh? Mangiapane and Sharangovich are both very strong defensively. Your thought process here is extremely flawed.

I'm not going to argue Kuzmenko's defense but he's also someone we are almost certainly flipping to a contender within the next year and a half.

The main issue is by the time Calgary starts turning the corner DeBrusk will be almost or already 30. There isn't currently a place for him in the lineup and as stands there won't be one next year. They would just keep Mangiapane instead of they wanted that

You play three lines and frankly some of the guys you are putting ahead of DeBrusk could easily move down to the third line. There are 9 slots to fill

Even strength defense is an estimate of how a player impacts his team’s even strength scoring chance against prevention (or expected goals against). Uses a lot of top down hockey stats to figure it out. Highly driven by your line and can be impacted by overcompensation.

When I’ve watched Sharangovich, I didn’t see much of a defender though he made a nice play last night. Haven’t watched enough of Mangiapane. He didn’t stick out either way in the games I’ve watched.

Either way, I’m pretty comfortable that JDB is a phenomenal two way defensive forward who is effective on the PK and can score. That’s useful and I don’t see the depth where he’s worthless though I could see it be a three team trade.

Most GMs can’t afford to take a we’ll be good in three years approach and teams that don’t diversify their roster in terms of experience are pretty dumb. They are the same teams that spend year over year in purgatory.

Your opinion or my opinion doesn’t matter here. It’s Conroy and Sweeney. I believe your perspective is overly simplistic and not how GM’s evaluate items, but I could easily see either side walk away from this

I’m personally hoping Boston walks away. I don’t believe it’s worth it to trade for Hanifin at the cost being flagged. Curious to see if he makes it to free agency or what the implications of him signing will be to the team that tries to force him in.
Mar. 4 at 12:51 a.m.
Edited Mar. 4 at 12:57 a.m.
You play three lines and frankly some of the guys you are putting ahead of DeBrusk could easily move down to the third line. There are 9 slots to fill

Even strength defense is an estimate of how a player impacts his team’s even strength scoring chance against prevention (or expected goals against). Uses a lot of top down hockey stats to figure it out. Highly driven by your line and can be impacted by overcompensation.

When I’ve watched Sharangovich, I didn’t see much of a defender though he made a nice play last night. Haven’t watched enough of Mangiapane. He didn’t stick out either way in the games I’ve watched.

Either way, I’m pretty comfortable that JDB is a phenomenal two way defensive forward who is effective on the PK and can score. That’s useful and I don’t see the depth where he’s worthless though I could see it be a three team trade.

Most GMs can’t afford to take a we’ll be good in three years approach and teams that don’t diversify their roster in terms of experience are pretty dumb. They are the same teams that spend year over year in purgatory

I’m personally hoping Boston walks away. I don’t believe it’s worth it to trade for Hanifin at the cost being flagged. Curious to see if he makes it to free agency or what the implications of him signing will be to the team that tries to force him in.

9 slots to fill? We are talking about wingers here, there are only 6 top 9 winger slots. Lets go through the list of wingers who should not be on the 4th line: Huberdeau, Zary, Mangiapane, Coleman, Pelletier, Coronato, Kuzmenko. I am assuming Sharangovich stays at center here even though he is more suited to play wing, the other 2 centers are obviously Backlund and Kadri. That's still 7 players for 6 slots. No room for DeBrusk.

If we are looking at xGA then Mangiapane and DeBrusk are nearly identical this season. Mange is sitting at 2.57 xGA/60 at 5v5 and JDB is sitting at 2.56 xGA/60. Im not sure what you are using to get your percentiles but it is most like based on def WAR. It's also worth noting player deployment. Mangiapane plays significantly more against elite competition than DeBrusk does according to PuckIQ. Lastly it's worth noting that Mange played a large portion of the season with a disinterested Lindholm and a struggling Huberdeau. Since the Mange - Backlund - Coleman line was reunited, they've once again been one of the most dominant lines in the league at 5v5.

I am not saying DeBrusk is worthless by any means. He is just extremely redundant on Calgary. DeBrusk and Mangiapane are very similar players, on top of that Pelletier is that same type of player and we need to make room for him too. If the Flames had more expiring forward contracts this year then maybe but that's not the case
Mar. 4 at 12:57 a.m.
9 slots to fill? We are talking about wingers here, there are only 6 top 9 winger slots. Lets go through the list of wingers who should not be on the 4th line: Huberdeau, Zary, Mangiapane, Coleman, Pelletier, Coronato, Kuzmenko. I am assuming Sharangovich stays at center here even though he is more suited to play wing, the other 2 centers are obviously Backlund and Kadri. That's still 7 players for 6 slots. No room for DeBrusk.

If we are looking at xGA then Mangiapane and DeBrusk are nearly identical this season. Mange is sitting at 2.57 xGA/60 at 5v5 and JDB is sitting at 2.56 xGA/60. Im not sure what you are using to get your percentiles but it is most like based on def WAR. It's also worth noting player deployment. Mangiapane plays significantly more against elite competition than DeBrusk does according to PuckIQ. Lastly it's worth noting that Mange played a large portion of the season with a disinterested Lindholm and a struggling Huberdeau. Since the Mange - Backlund - Coleman line was reunited, they've once again been one of the most dominant lines in the league at 5v5.

You’re making the assumption that both Pelletier and Coronato are ready … and Kuzmenko can recover his value. Other options are present and a third team probably needs to be found, but pretending like it isn’t value is kind of a pointless discussion. I doubt you get more value, but we’ll see, 5 days and this discussion is definitely over. Hopefully sooner.
Mar. 4 at 4:14 a.m.
Overpay for Hanifin, giving up Merk and Lohrei is quite a bit, tacking on JD and a 2nd is too much

I'm all for trading JD if it means bringing in someone more useful, guy picks and chooses which games he gives an effort and clearly doesnt wanna be in BOS

Reaaaaaaaaally dont want that Vanecek contract, even if it means getting Holtz, not worth as a backup and not fair to Bussi who deserves an NHL job

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll