SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Toronto Maple Leafs

Leafs 2023 2024 Season Discussion Part 6 - Nearly Playoffs

Mar. 26 at 1:06 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: RipNasty
If Matthews hit the post as many times in the 1st round as he did in the 2nd, the Leafs wouldn't have got out of the 1st round.

We cant keep using the post as an excuse. Its been an ongoing thing since the era started.
Mar. 26 at 1:09 p.m.
Amirov Forever

This popped up on my youtube recommended, and I just had to share it on here. How f***ing special was this moment? I know there are times where we all get down on the team, and lots of us have different outlooks on where the team stands, but we're all cheering for the same thing. Love or hate this team, I cannot wait for the playoffs. We need more of these moments, and we are going to get them eventually.
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 26 at 1:16 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

This popped up on my youtube recommended, and I just had to share it on here. How f***ing special was this moment? I know there are times where we all get down on the team, and lots of us have different outlooks on where the team stands, but we're all cheering for the same thing. Love or hate this team, I cannot wait for the playoffs. We need more of these moments, and we are going to get them eventually.

The Kampf and Matthews hug was my favourite part
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 26 at 3:54 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: aadoyle
We cant keep using the post as an excuse. Its been an ongoing thing since the era started.

It's a fact that hitting a post is bad luck. A fraction of an inch to the inside and it's a goal. Samsonov let in 2 terrible goals vs Florida as well, both being game winners if I recall. Those two goals could have been a major difference as well
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Mar. 26 at 3:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
It's a fact that hitting a post is bad luck. A fraction of an inch to the inside and it's a goal. Samsonov let in 2 terrible goals vs Florida as well, both being game winners if I recall. Those two goals could have been a major difference as well

Were just excusing the big boyz at this point. In game 2 they were up 2-0 and then they fell apart in the span of 2mins. Matthews and Marner were on for 2 of those goals and when you watch em defensive coverage was a mess. Could Sammy have had one of em yes but it was the breakdown up front that hurt them. And in game 3 the teams fight back was 0 especially in OT.

In the end the team goes as far as they perform and in that series they were no shows till game 4. For this team to go far each of them has to be going together not one of them not 2 of them all of them otherwise were just in no mans land again with 1st or 2nd round exits
Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 26 at 5:42 p.m.
Rip
Quoting: Leafsfan98
.943 goaltending is beyond ridiculous... It's historic

Sure but not adjusting to that is a major problem. Keefe never adjusts
Mar. 26 at 5:43 p.m.
Rip
Were just excusing the big boyz at this point. In game 2 they were up 2-0 and then they fell apart in the span of 2mins. Matthews and Marner were on for 2 of those goals and when you watch em defensive coverage was a mess. Could Sammy have had one of em yes but it was the breakdown up front that hurt them. And in game 3 the teams fight back was 0 especially in OT.

In the end the team goes as far as they perform and in that series they were no shows till game 4. For this team to go far each of them has to be going together not one of them not 2 of them all of them otherwise were just in no mans land again with 1st or 2nd round exits

You are just refusing to look at anything else beyond your opinion which can be easily refuted. You are in fact giving a pass to Keefe and Sammy. You generally give a pass to anyone you like while only seeing the bad from those you don't like. Liljegren and Timmins are great examples.
Mar. 26 at 5:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 26 at 6:09 p.m.
You are just refusing to look at anything else beyond your opinion which can be easily refuted. You are in fact giving a pass to Keefe and Sammy. You generally give a pass to anyone you like while only seeing the bad from those you don't like. Liljegren and Timmins are great examples.

I see your clouded by your fandom of these 4 guys but they are not beyond judgement. Just cause they good does not let them get a pass. They be making the money we expect results but so far its one series win since the Matthews era started not good

Going to the examples u set. Liligren has not been great this year even Keefe has repeatedly said he wants more from him. He and Edmundson are becoming something to watch but Liligren at times still has some issues. Will he be in for playoffs lets see as at this point his play will dictate that. To Timmins has been a HS till recently and has been meh for the most part. Once the lineup is healthy was right on the ball #7-8 Dman said that at the start of the year. Moving on next season to gain some cap is the wise move.

In the end if the big 4 do not show up this team has 0 hope of a long playoff run. Thats really all there is to it as with how this team is structured cap and playwise its up to them to get it done

When a team loses a series you dont focus on positives and that you focus on okay why did they lose and who didnt show up and in that FLA series the big 4 were quiet till game 4. Its not that hard were used to it by now.

TOR is gonna face FLA or BOS again this playoffs so the big 4 got to bring it otherwise were not going anywhere and the same nagging questions will rise again.

Can fire the coach and extend Marner but what if that dont work and they still dont show up?

In the end its up to them, coach and management can only do so much. Time for the players to go to work
Mar. 26 at 6:26 p.m.
Rip
I see your clouded by your fandom of these 4 guys but they are not beyond judgement. Just cause they good does not let them get a pass. They be making the money we expect results but so far its one series win since the Matthews era started not good

Going to the examples u set. Liligren has not been great this year even Keefe has repeatedly said he wants more from him. He and Edmundson are becoming something to watch but Liligren at times still has some issues. Will he be in for playoffs lets see as at this point his play will dictate that. To Timmins has been a HS till recently and has been meh for the most part. Once the lineup is healthy was right on the ball #7-8 Dman said that at the start of the year. Moving on next season to gain some cap is the wise move.

In the end if the big 4 do not show up this team has 0 hope of a long playoff run. Thats really all there is to it as with how this team is structured cap and playwise its up to them to get it done

When a team loses a series you dont focus on positives and that you focus on okay why did they lose and who didnt show up and in that FLA series the big 4 were quiet till game 4. Its not that hard were used to it by now.

TOR is gonna face FLA or BOS again this playoffs so the big 4 got to bring it otherwise were not going anywhere and the same nagging questions will rise again.

Can fire the coach and extend Marner but what if that dont work and they still dont show up?

In the end its up to them, coach and management can only do so much. Time for the players to go to work

I have on many occasions said Marner has been a problem. He wasn't great vs Florida. No question but Matthews and Nylander were good.

Liljegren is only 24, he has lots of years ahead of him and has definitely been good. Keefe suck
Mar. 26 at 6:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 26 at 6:53 p.m.
I have on many occasions said Marner has been a problem. He wasn't great vs Florida. No question but Matthews and Nylander were good.

Liljegren is only 24, he has lots of years ahead of him and has definitely been good. Keefe suck

Matthews was not good in the FLA series. 2 assists in 5 games not good

Only guy I will give props for even though it was late was Willy. And while not ideal hey he still contributed

If we look at the big 4 that series

Matthews 0 goals 2 assists and not a positive goal differential in 5 games

Marner 0 goals 2 assists and not a positive goal differential in 5 games

Nylander 2 goals and an assist but not a positive goal different ail in 5 games (Best of the 4)

Tavares 0 goals 1 assist and along with the others a non positive goal differential in 5 games

Was night and day in comparison to TBL where each popped off

Matthews 6 goals 4 assists and a positive goal differential in 6 games

Marner 2 goals 9 assists and not a positive goal differential in 6 games

Nylander 2 goals and 5 assists but not a positive goal differential in 6 games

Tavares 4 goals (1 hat trick) 3 assists with a positive goal differential in 6 games

The FLA results are the results we dont want to see again. We need each of them not just one to start clicking and especially not when down 3-0 in the series
Mar. 26 at 6:53 p.m.
Rip
Matthews was not good in the FLA series. 2 assists in 5 games not good

Only guy I will give props for even though it was late was Willy. And while not ideal hey he still contributed

Nylander 2 goals and an assist but not a positive goal different ail in 5 games (Best of the 4)

Tavares 0 goals 1 assist and along with the others a non positive goal differential in 5 games

These are the results we dont want to see again. We need each of them not just one to start clicking and especially not when down 3-0 in the series

There is never a conversation with you, you have all the answers and only see what you want to see.
Mar. 26 at 6:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 26 at 7:01 p.m.
There is never a conversation with you, you have all the answers and only see what you want to see.

Compare the two series and see the drop. Matthews was not good in the FLA series

Tavares 4 goals (1 hat trick) 3 assists with a positive goal differential in 6 games

Where is the good for him. TBL series absolutly guy was on fire. In the end if we look only guy who repeated similar results was Nylander. Everyone else fell off. Again its not what I want to see its whats staring right in front of us. If Matthews puts up 2 asists in the FLA series rematch or BOS rematch god help him

If you think TOR is going far with those results or the Matthews did well in the FLA series u do u . But if this team keeps losing playoff series with these guys not performing its gonna get ugly fast. Were already questioning the core 4 just wait till after this or next series once the new extensions come into play.

As with 1 series win since Matthews era started in 2016 it aint gonna be pretty
Mar. 26 at 7:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Compare the two series and see the drop. Matthews was not good in the FLA series

Where is the good for him. TBL series absolutly guy was on fire. In the end if we look only guy who repeated similar results was Nylander. Everyone else fell off. Again its not what I want to see its whats staring right in front of us. If Matthews puts up 2 asists in the FLA series rematch or BOS rematch god help him

If you think TOR is going far with those results or the Matthews did well in the FLA series u do u . But if this team keeps losing playoff series with these guys not performing its gonna get ugly fast. Were already questioning the core 4 just wait till after this or next series once the new extensions come into play.

As with 1 series win since Matthews era started in 2016 it aint gonna be pretty

And this is how this team was built. There success hinges on these 4 as we have invested so much of the cap into them

Even with the cap increase 53% is going into them so time to show their stuff

Management payed yah big so go reward em with more than just a single round win bring home the SC.
Mar. 26 at 7:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Was a series for the ages

Multiple times down a few goals but the team rallied came back and stole OT twice, JT scored a hatty and the series winner, depth came to life with ROR really being a solid addition to complement the big 4, and Sammy outdueled Vasi

This is what we need from this team to go far. And hopefully this is the year they do it for more than just a round

Hopefully before than our special teams can pick it up though

But yea whether its a rematch vs. FLA or BOS its gonna be a hard violent series thats all I can say and everyone gonna really need to step it up from Big 4 to goaltending (whoever starts) to defense and coaching
Mar. 26 at 7:32 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man the D be gutted tonight

Injuries and illness be hitting them at the wrong time lul
Mar. 26 at 7:46 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Yikes Woll u got to have that
Mar. 26 at 8:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Lul shots are 26 to 8 for NJ and were losing this period

Woll make a ****ing save
Mar. 26 at 8:12 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Oh great a Powerplay. Taking bets now, do the Leafs convert on this or no?

I'm going with no
Mar. 26 at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Oh great a Powerplay. Taking bets now, do the Leafs convert on this or no?

I'm going with no

With how bad its been and how Allen is Goalieing them this game nope
Mar. 26 at 8:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Pretty much the most Leaf period seen in a while

Outshooting the opponent but getting goalied and down a goal
Mar. 26 at 8:23 p.m.
Rip
Yikes Woll u got to have that

Tipped off the foot of Lybushkin
Leafsfan98 liked this.
Mar. 26 at 8:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Tipped off the foot of Lybushkin

There was no tip he let in a softy no nice way to put it.

2 goals on 8 shots at the time not good

Make a save
Mar. 26 at 8:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Woll make a save challenge impossible

3 goals on 14 shots...YIKES

Could defense be better yes but how about we make a save to lul
Mar. 26 at 8:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 26 at 9:03 p.m.
Pull Woll not his night
Mar. 26 at 9:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Another late PP will we score on it

Going with another... No

Hopefully in the third Woll can at least make some saves and we can score 2 and hold the lead lul

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll