April Rankings

April Rankings

Draft Class: 2023
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Mar. 31 at 7:55 p.m.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
Ivan Demidov
Extremely bold take off the bat. This draft isn't as deep as the 2023 Draft, its more so like the 2021 Draft. But Demidov is at #1 because his dominant production is very hard to ignore. Yes, he does have the Russian factor and injury concerns, but I don't value that anymore while ranking players. Whenever Demidov is healthy, he's consistent and never takes a shift off. He has the best 200-ft game in the draft and the best passer. Mainly a playmaker, Demidov can also shoot the puck from anywhere and play with speed. I see a lot of Ehlers in this kid. Demidov has generational talent written all over him, its said that he will spend at least 1 year in Russia.
2Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Macklin Celebrini
It stinks to put Celebrini at #2, but analytically, Demidov is putting up better production than Celebrini. In terms of points, at the time I'm writing this, Celebrini is one point ahead of Demidov with 61. But he's played more games than Demidov, who has 60 points (30 GP, 23G, 37A compared to Celebrini's 36GP, 32G, 29A). But Celebrini is still an elite player, he has insane goal-scoring, puck handling, speed, and 200-ft game. I see Kyle Connor in Celebrini.
3Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Artyom Levshunov
Levshunov by far is the best defender in the draft. He's the kid I compare most to Hampus Lindholm, big defender, booming shot, excellent skater, and physically imposing. However, Levshunov is more of a skilled defender, his decision making off the puck can be inconsistent at times, while he can throw the body around Levshunov can be seen in the wrong position at times.
4Logo of the San Jose Sharks-
Berkly Catton
Catton is one of two big risers compared to last month's ranking. Very few draft eligible players have broken 100 points this season, at the time I'm writing this, Catton is one of two that has scored over 100 points, and in fact, Catton leads the whole draft in points with 116 (54G, 62A) in 68 games. However, the main reason for the big jump in rankings is the defensive game. Catton has shown that he buy in defensively and he has more than enough smarts to be used in all situations of the game. Can even drive his own line as well, so you are getting some versatility with Catton. He's mainly a playmaker though, with fluid skating and pure skill. Catton just needs to work on his size and be more mature physically. Because of the small frame, the physicality isn't there. But no doubt will Catton be a solid player in the NHL sooner rather than later.
5Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Cole Eiserman
Eiserman is an interesting prospect. More of a Patrik Laine type player, insane goal-scorer that needs to develop his game outside his offense. But why do I have him this high? Eiserman's two main areas of improvement are his defense and skating. And both of those can be taught. But whoever drafts Eiserman is getting a guy who can be a gamebreaker offensively. It may take a couple of years, but Eiserman will be worth the wait.
6Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Trevor Connelly
Its very simple. I know that Connelly has the off-ice issues, but he's owned it every step of the way and even apologized for it. Plus teams should have learnt their lesson after the emergence of Mauilloux. Connelly will make in the NHL as a top line winger, talent alone he belongs at this spot. Also note that Connelly is the best skater in the draft.
7Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
Zeev Buium
There are three guys that can be ranked at this spot (Buium, Dickinson, Silayev), but I think the best option is Buium. Compared to the other two, Buium plays a more well-rounded game. Brings offensive skill, never takes a shift off, smart defensively. The one downfall with Buium however is his lack of physicality. At this point, I see him as a Kris Letang type player.
8Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Anton Silayev
Ideally Silayev and Dickinson are interchangeable given that they are similar players. But Silayev has the higher upside but also high risk. The Russian factor would be coming into play with this player, but we all know how high Simashev went last year. Silayev is a similar player, very defensively minded but can also produce enough offense to succeed. But Silayev has the rare combination of size and speed, so that alone could make him an early pick come draft day.
9Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Sam Dickinson
Not gonna say much about Dickinson as he also is very defensive minded, just like Silayev. However he does have slightly lower upside but is also a lower risk. Dickinson has one of the best shots in the draft, but as of now its about developing his offense outside his shot. The size is there, physicality is there, and skating is elite considering the large frame.
10Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Cayden Lindstrom
Lindstrom isn't at tenth because of his injury. He also has the same combo as Silayev and Dickinson, size and speed, but he's a winger. And I value defenders over wingers as you need good defense to win you games. But Lindstrom is a strong power forward with a smart defensive game to go with it. More of a Roope Hintz type player.
11Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Teddy Stiga
Another bold take, but Stiga is slowly becoming one of my favorite prospects in this draft. Had he played more games he would be in the top 10, but he's just outside of it. Stiga plays a strong two-way game and never takes a shift off in all three zones. He may be on the small side at 5'10", but its been proven for a few years now that size doesn't matter anymore. Plus Stiga knows how to use his size well by showing a strong 200-ft game. Also he's probably the second-best skater in the draft, Connelly being the only guy ahead of him. The only downfall on Stiga is his puck handling, he tends to keep it simple rather than go flashy. I see Stiga as a Cirelli type player, a strong 2C in the NHL.
12Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Konsta Helenius
Helenius is basically a worse version of Catton. However the main difference is that Helenius already has experience against men whereas Catton doesn't. But Helenius has the skill and necessary offensive attributes to succeed in the NHL. However, Helenius never plays a physical game and he's below average defensively.
13Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Zayne Parekh
Parekh's steady improvement in his defensive game has resulted in a slight boost in my big board. Was at #17, but is now at #13. Parekh still needs to work on physicality and effort on the PK, but the stick checking has gotten better. But the offense remains elite, very rarely you see a CHL defender in general reach 30 goals and near 100 points. I could see Parekh going much higher because of the offense alone, but I value defense more which is why he's still outside the top 10 for now.
14Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Carter Yakemchuk
Yakemchuk is a similar player to Parekh. But he is much taller but a slightly worse skater. And I value skating quite a bit while ranking players. The skating is still good, but not as good as Parekh's. Yakemchuk is very gifted offensively and can create a lot of strong opportunities. Defensively is still a work in progress but Yakemchuk has shown that he's willing to be physical. Just needs to work on killing penalties and stick checking.
15Logo of the Nashville Predators-
Kamil Bednarik
Bednarik is an interesting prospect. One of the biggest risers, Bednarik has actually been better defensively than offensively as of late. He can make a lot of stops defensively by throwing the body around. Also one of the better penalty killers in the draft. Power play is quite the opposite, Bednarik hasn't gotten much success during the powerplay. His main downfall however is his selfishness with the puck. His shot power is not great and he barely goes for a shot on goal. This year Bednarik was more of a Rantanen-type player, now he's more Phillip Danault.
16Logo of the Calgary Flames-
Terik Parascak
Last year I had Gabe Perreault ranked around this spot. Parascak is a similar prospect: high productive dual-threat offensive winger. Parascak is the second player that has broken 100 points, so production alone, Parascak belongs here. However, he does need to work on his skating as he's more of a straight-line player. He also isn't physically imposing either. More of a Tyler Toffoli player at this point.
17Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
Michael Brandsegg Nygard
MBN is a great prospect and could go much higher on draft day, he's just been jumped with players who have had stronger second halves of their respective seasons. MBN is a skilled power forward who's been consistent offensively. Mainly a shoot-first winger, but also isn't afraid to pass the puck around. Defensively he's good but MBN tends to be over physical against the puck carrier resulting in dumb infractions. More of a Brady Tkachuk type player.
18Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Tij Iginla
Its tough to rank Tij Iginla this low because I think he's good enough to be drafted much higher given his consistent production. I just don't like his skating compared to the prospects above him. Plays like Anze Kopitar, defensively oriented but can also shoot the puck and create high danger opportunities.
19Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
Liam Greentree
Greentree is another interesting prospect. More of a Juraj Slafkovsky type player: power forward with size and strong offensive compete. His hockey sense adds another layer to his offensive game. The main downfall on Greentree is his skating, which is why he's lower on my list than what most people have him. His defensive effort isn't great either, especially on the backcheck. But no doubt will his offense translate perfectly into the NHL and Greentree will become a solid NHL winger.
20Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Adam Jiricek
Adam Jiricek is a similar prospect to brother David. Big kid, booming shot, 4-way agility, and solid defensive smarts. Adam just needs to work on getting his health back on track, other than that whoever drafts him is getting a solid all-around player.
21Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Leo Sahlin Wallenius
Smart two-way defender, similar to Ivan Provorov. Can do the right things defensively but offensively the shot power needs improvement.
22Logo of the Philadelphia FlyersLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
Charlie Elick
At this point, Elick is more of a project than anything. His offensive upside isn't very high, I believe he will provide secondary scoring in the NHL. Developing his offense outside the puck control should be step one in his development process. But Elick is elite defensively in all areas. Also a really good skater. More of a Dylan DeMelo player.
23Logo of the New York Rangers-
EJ Emery
Back to back projects. Emery is a similar player to Elick, but while Elick's offensive is somewhat noticeable, Emery's is UNNOTICEABLE. A non-option on the power play so there's not much versatility in your lineup with Emery. His shot isn't powerful and his puck handling isn't there either. More of a shutdown presences as Emery is very punishing physically and he's able to make a lot of difficult stops defensively. I see a lot of Nick Seeler in this kid.
24Logo of the Nashville PredatorsLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
Igor Chernyshov
Chernyshov is lower on my draft board because of certain players having stronger second halves of their seasons. But whoever drafts him will be getting high upside and possibly the steal of the draft. I see a lot of Malkin in this kid: big power forward with a strong 200-ft game, booming shot, slick hands, and speed. Though there is a lack of effort in his defensive game and sometimes the consistency in terms of production isn't there either.
25Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Sacha Boisvert
Boisvert has had a roller coaster of a season. Has shown flashes of incredible runs, but then there has been a lack of offensive consistency in his kid, which is the reason why he's so low on my board. Cause whenever the effort is there, Boisvert is easily a top 15 player in the draft. Skating also needs adjustment, overall it will take a few years, but the wait will be worth it.
26Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the New Jersey Devils
Andrew Basha
Basha is a solid offensive threat whenever on the ice, from the playmaking to shot. Great skater as well but needs to work on his flashiness defensively. Some shifts he's unnoticeable without the puck. Also the production, could it be benefitted with players like McKenna and Lindstrom on his line?
27Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
Nikita Artamonov
Artamonov is a similar prospect to Basha, but the reason why Basha has the edge is because of skating. I don't like Artamonov's skating, but whenever he's on the ice he never takes a shift off.
28Logo of the Toronto Maple LeafsLogo of the Boston Bruins
Cole Hutson
Hutson's defensive game has really improved, don't overlook the size, Hutson will be as good as his brother.
29Logo of the St. Louis BluesLogo of the Dallas Stars
Aron Kiviharju
The injury concerns around Kiviharju and the bouncing around different leagues worry me, but teams should have learnt their lesson after Raty and Lambert.
30Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
Michael Hage
Smart offensive threat that plays with size, but defensive effort and consistency needs improvement before his NHL debut.
31Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Florida Panthers
Emil Hemming
The kid I compare most to Elias Lindholm, Hemming is the best defensive minded forward in the draft. Can be bet upon offensively but needs to improve his puck control.
32Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
Dean Letourneau
Every year a high school player is drafted in the first round. Letourneau is the best draft eligible college player I've seen in a while. Similar to Hage, slick offensive threat.
Mar. 31 at 8:33 p.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
Very good list. As a Bednarik lover this entire draft season I really think he goes top 20. A team out there will see his play and "reach" then look smart for it
Z0ra liked this.
Apr. 1 at 12:15 a.m.
Love bold takes.

I believe there is a workd where demidov is #1 in rankings but im not sold there is a workd where he is # in mock drafts.

Teams will most likely go for the center i feel!
Z0ra liked this.
Apr. 1 at 9:26 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: Kyle_Okposo_Lover
Very good list. As a Bednarik lover this entire draft season I really think he goes top 20. A team out there will see his play and "reach" then look smart for it

Stiga and Bednarik are my two favorites this draft.
Kyle_Okposo_Lover liked this.
Apr. 1 at 9:27 a.m.
power forward
Quoting: drambui
Love bold takes.

I believe there is a workd where demidov is #1 in rankings but im not sold there is a workd where he is # in mock drafts.

I do agree with you. Because some teams value the Russian Factor, Celebrini will be drafted at #1. But Demidov is the best player in the draft.
Apr. 7 at 12:38 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: drambui
Love bold takes.

I do believe however, a team like Arizona or Anaheim would go for Demidov at #1. Arizona cause they don't fear the Russian talent (given the Simashev and But picks early on). Anaheim cause they have such a stacked prospect pool, especially forward wise, they can afford to take the risk.
Apr. 7 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: Z0ra
I do believe however, a team like Arizona or Anaheim would go for Demidov at #1. Arizona cause they don't fear the Russian talent (given the Simashev and But picks early on). Anaheim cause they have such a stacked prospect pool, especially forward wise, they can afford to take the risk.

To be honest i still dont see it. They drafted big physical foward a lot, dont know if demidov fit what they would want and they could need a #1c.

Anaheim a could see it a bit more, they have a lot of talent everywhere.
Apr. 7 at 3:02 p.m.
Banned
Cool thoughts.
Disagree on a few guys like Parekh and Iginla. I have both top8. Iginla, particularly, is a favourite of mine. I, easily, see him being this years Zach Benson. Looks like a version of Seth Jarvis to me. I dont see how you can include Eiserman's skating and say it can be taught (it cant only slightly improved technique) yet dismiss Iginla because of his skating, specifically.
Beckett Sennecke I think is easily top20.
In general, it's nice to see the effort here. Thx.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll