Forums/Armchair-GM

24-25

Created by: swinny
Team: 2024-25 Florida Panthers
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 17, 2024
Published: Apr. 1, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
There is little reason to think Zito isn't going to go all in for one last ride..... after 2024-25 I have serious debates about the Cats. Very little draft capital, a system that is lacking and a number of UFAs hitting the books that I am not sure they are able to afford. Without a doubt, the offseason decision here is Reinhart or Mountour - and I opt for Montour. Leaves more money to work with to fill this roster out. The blueline will be this teams bread and butter imo. Still brings 3 very effective lines, and very much a playoff contender.

Signings:

Bertuzzi: will be impossible to replace Reinhart's offense, but Bertuzzi trult embodies the Panther's style of play. I think he fits in very well, and Ling term serves as a Verherge replacement.

Montour: has thrived as a Panther. Quite possibly sees more on the open market, but the no tax advantage may make $6.5 million realistic. Seems like he has found a home in Miami.

Ekman-Larson: another UFA that could see more money, but has resurrected his career in Florida. A very difficult contract to gauge given his decline in Arizona and Vancouver. Begs to question which player do you get? See $3 million being about right given the depth of the UFA D market.

Stenlund: been great. No reason not to run him back.

Fischer: a young and very effective 4th liner both bite. Inexpensive move with justifiable term. Be easy to move if things fall apart.

Kulikov: again...... been good as a Cat. No reason not to bring him back. Very possible he has out-priced himself. Hoping his age and depth in the UFA market has him signing another team.friensly deal.

Side Notes:

1. Yes.... this team is riddled with team friendly deals - and the no tax state plays a factor. The big one here is Montour. Panthers will be so tight to the cap, that a $7 million demand (and really is worth it) means another direction. Possible pivot would be Scott Walker.... but I see this as a downgrade offensively.

2. Need bounce back seasons from Lundell and Lousterainen. Both are capable of a much better offensive output than we have seen this year. Without doubt, the game is there. If Lousterainen gives what he did this year, have to say that is a contract I try to move.

3. Samoskevic makes the team imo. Has put up the numbers in the AHL to justify it, and the Cats are so tight to the cap, maybe the only option.

4. Not a fan of the 21 man roster here. Sourdif amd Lockwood can serve as call up options, but that doesn't give me warm.and fuzzies.

5. Leaving Blackwood on the roster recognizing he could be flipped for a cheap option.... amd it is a move I would anticipate in season depnding on Bobrovsky. If vintage Bob shows up, I move him. Right now a viable insurance policy with some trade value.

Overall: I see this year being Florida's real last kick at this. Bennett, Verherge, Ekblad all pending UFAs after this season.... and I have to think two of the 3 get pay raises, that may have Zito making another tough decision. The cap may go up enough to absorb this..... but that is playing with fire. And that is dependent on key UFAs signing something team friendly. But for 2024-25...... they more than compete. 2025-26 is a problem.for tomorrow
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
6$6,500,000
4$6,000,000
4$1,250,000
4$1,250,000
1$1,250,000
Trades
FLA
  1. Blackwood, Mackenzie
Additional Details:
Blackwood has been pretty good for the Sharks, but they also need to make basement in this scenario. Flipping him for the more expensive Knight is necessary.

Yes, Sharks take on a risk. But they are also a team in a position to take on that risk.
SJS
  1. Knight, Spencer
Additional Details:
What is clearis that the Panthers need to shave some money, and Knight seems to be the path of least resistance. Extremely hard to gauge his value after his issues; but has looked very good in the AHL putting himself and his game back together. Coming into what is clearly a rebuild situation may mitigate the pressure.

As I said, it is very hard to gauge what Knight would garner on the market. Some may see this as a risk. Others may see a salary dump. Others may say not enough.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the FLA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$87,700,000$87,408,334$0$0$291,666
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LW
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$4,425,000$4,425,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
RFA
$925,000$925,000
RW
RFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, RW
UFA
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
UFA
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$2,350,000$2,350,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD/RD
UFA
$775,000$775,000
LD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 1 at 11:44 a.m.
With Ekblad on the team already I would opt for Reinhart, that said his unreal season vaulted his value and it may be smart to move on as he will not likely hit these goal totals again, but with his season I see his ask at 8x10 and that would be hard to absorb into your lineup. Still it’s hard to walk away from 30-40 goals like that.

As for the trade, I feel like your 100% accurate in your assessment is anything now is the time for sharks to take some risks and gamble on young players who might need a change of scenery, Zadina is for the most part working out pretty well and Kostin is as well so far. And if Knight crashes and burns, sharks are rebuilding and it doesn’t hurt us much.
swinny liked this.
Apr. 1 at 12:55 p.m.
I still wouldn’t trade knight he’s been playing well in the ahl and will be with Florida nex t season. Bertuzzi for sure doesn’t deserve 6 million from Florida or at all. Barely a half point per game o na high offense team. And montour can take the same as forsling if he wants to stay here and keep the team together.
Apr. 1 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: Hockey91
I still wouldn’t trade knight he’s been playing well in the ahl and will be with Florida nex t season. Bertuzzi for sure doesn’t deserve 6 million from Florida or at all. Barely a half point per game o na high offense team. And montour can take the same as forsling if he wants to stay here and keep the team together.

Given just how thin the UFA market is for forwards, Bertuzzi could very well see that.

Montour will get a raise.... that is fact. As it is in this scenario, he is probably taking a haircut already.

And how do you propose to keep Knight and ice a playoff team? Moving Bobrovsky is an option, but that is going to be a task.
Apr. 1 at 1:12 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
Given just how thin the UFA market is for forwards, Bertuzzi could very well see that.

Montour will get a raise.... that is fact. As it is in this scenario, he is probably taking a haircut already.

And how do you propose to keep Knight and ice a playoff team? Moving Bobrovsky is an option, but that is going to be a task.

You’re talking about a million more in the ahl or 2 million more than Blackwood so it’s possible. Knight will be very good. Just gonna take another season with bob still around. Montour isn’t playing like he did last year and forsling is a better dman than him so they should sign the same contract. Bertuzzi may get overpaid but 6 million from Florida is crazy. He’s get 4 tops here with no taxes.
Apr. 1 at 1:41 p.m.
Coming from a Columbus fan, if the Panthers want to move Knight, I'd do a trade centred around him and Adam Boqvist.
Apr. 1 at 6:46 p.m.
Quoting: CertifiedAverage
Coming from a Columbus fan, if the Panthers want to move Knight, I'd do a trade centred around him and Adam Boqvist.

That certainly is an option.

Same financial results accomplished.

Actually maybe a better idea..... fills an area of need.
Apr. 1 at 6:54 p.m.
You’re talking about a million more in the ahl or 2 million more than Blackwood so it’s possible. Knight will be very good. Just gonna take another season with bob still around. Montour isn’t playing like he did last year and forsling is a better dman than him so they should sign the same contract. Bertuzzi may get overpaid but 6 million from Florida is crazy. He’s get 4 tops here with no taxes.

Bert's contract may sound crazy, but you have to look at the market l. Razor thin for forwards. Over payments there are gonna be the norm I am afraid. And if the Cats are gonna remain relevant, they will have to dive on. No one is the system. Don't hate the player, hate the game situation. Other option would be rolling the dice on someone. Not sure I go there.

Montour: RD defenseman with an offensive game. Those don't grow on trees. So where you are right in saying Forsling and Montour are in equal levels - paying the RD is the difference. The D market maybe strong this year, but the right side isn't. Montour is far amd away the best of the lot imo. As I said, Walker would work as a replacement, but you do take a step back offensively. But the money is probably more in tube with what you want to spend.
Apr. 1 at 7:08 p.m.
Quoting: swinny
Bert's contract may sound crazy, but you have to look at the market l. Razor thin for forwards. Over payments there are gonna be the norm I am afraid. And if the Cats are gonna remain relevant, they will have to dive on. No one is the system. Don't hate the player, hate the game situation. Other option would be rolling the dice on someone. Not sure I go there.

Montour: RD defenseman with an offensive game. Those don't grow on trees. So where you are right in saying Forsling and Montour are in equal levels - paying the RD is the difference. The D market maybe strong this year, but the right side isn't. Montour is far amd away the best of the lot imo. As I said, Walker would work as a replacement, but you do take a step back offensively. But the money is probably more in tube with what you want to spend.

So dont sign Bert. Sign someone with potential seems to work well for Florida. And if Bert didn’t get paid this past off season while he was playing much better than what makes you think he’ll get paid this one. And with montour 6 million here is 8 plus elsewhere so he can sign for a little less like forsling to make the same and keep the core together here.
Apr. 1 at 8:44 p.m.
So dont sign Bert. Sign someone with potential seems to work well for Florida. And if Bert didn’t get paid this past off season while he was playing much better than what makes you think he’ll get paid this one. And with montour 6 million here is 8 plus elsewhere so he can sign for a little less like forsling to make the same and keep the core together here.

Hey, you can try to do this on the cheap. Maybe a home run is hit. But if the Cats want to compete in the East, they are gonna have to spend something. If not Bert, it's Teravainen. Maybe you bring back a diminishing Tarasenko. Don't think I didn't look for the diamond in the rough.

As for Montour, thank you for proving my argument. Yup..... open market he probably does see around $8 million. Right shot D. You can ignore the position he plays in order to sell the asking price as high..... but it certainly won't be far off the mark. Using your own math, Forsling in the market is around $7 million, playing LD.....

NHL fact: quality RD get paid. Montour is quality. He gets paid.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll