SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Rebuild Summer Last one

Team: 2024-25 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 18, 2024
Published: Apr. 18, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Not hoping to get first overall, so let's think about what if they just stay put at 5th. Problem is, right now, and taking from Sportsnet NHL draft prospects list, 5 through 8 are all Defensemen, and Habs don't need more of those, yet, if any of these guys are NHL player material, do they have the right to pass on them? Following them, Catton and Iginla, two centers that could potentially be 2nd or 3rd quality centermen for any team down the line, but are they ready to go or will they need more than 1 year in the AHL to develop their abilities. Lindstrom, can't be discounted neither does Eiserman.

If they want to moved UP, they won't.. I don't see Sharks, Chicago, Anaheim and Columbus trade their spot with the HABS considering they all need young and talented players but I could see Teams passing on Demidov .. He's got 0 pts in 6 games over the past two years in the KHL, so no clue why he's so highly ranked at 3... I would hope Habs pass on him also given the state of the world, and that Russian players aren't being ok'ed to leave the country.

5. Carter Yakemchuk, D, Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
Height: Six-foot-three Weight: 190 pounds

6. Zayne Parekh, D, Saginaw Spirit (OHL)
Height: Six-foot Weight: 178 pounds

7. Zeev Buium, D, University of Denver (NCAA)
Height: Six-foot Weight: 183 pounds

8. Sam Dickinson, D, London Knights (OHL)
Height: Six-foot-three Weight: 204 pounds

9. Berkly Catton, C, Spokane Chiefs, (WHL)
Height: Five-foot-11 Weight: 170 pounds

10. Tij Iginla, C, Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
Height: Five-foot-11 Weight: 186 pounds

11. Cayden Lindstrom, C, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
Height: Six-foot-three Weight: 210 pounds

12. Cole Eiserman, LW, USNTDP
Height: Six-foot Weight: 197 pounds

13. Konsta Helenius, C, Jukurit (Liiga)
Height: Five-foot-11 Weight: 180 pounds

If HABS decide to go with the flow, and Yakemchuk is still available, why not. He's a 6'03" players able to move the puck, right defenseman that can shoot or pass. He's on the verge of being 200lbs. Close behind, Parekh he's got more points but a little shorter and 12lbs lighter. While not a big difference, it could be for a guy who would need to come in with the year and make a difference at the blue line given that we'll have Hutson who's shorter and has plenty of offensive talent.

If they decide to skip the Defensemen, I would make a play for Iginla. While Catton is putting up more numbers, I think that Iginla is more complete of a player.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$950,000
1$900,000
3$1,950,000
1$1,250,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Yakemchuk, Carter
3$975,000
Hage, Michael
3$975,000
Boisvert, Sacha
3$975,000
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
Would the NYI move for this, Lamoriello isn't one to do crazy trades, but Barron is a 1st rounder able to play in the NHL given the right coaching and Roy is one that likes guys he can mold into his system. Barron could potentially be a good fit, low cost to minimize cap space to replace guys like Reilly or Bortuzzo, Aho also had a 50/50 year, so why not take in a RD under 1M$/yr and play him out?
NYI
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. 2024 3rd round pick (MIN)
Additional Details:
While NYI give up a 1st, Habs could help with picks by providing the 3rd rounder from MIN. Balances out since NYI's 1st would be mid pack.
MTL
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Would Briere consider this trade? I mean, it could also go into the 2025 2nd round pick (latest of the two they have) or their 3rd this year. But Harris has shown very good potential and doesn't cost an arm and a leg on the cap hit. Given that they'll need to replace two older Defensmen, why not?
MTL
  1. 2024 1st round pick (LAK)
Additional Details:
Assuming LAK get 19th or 20th pick, I would offer Kovacevic and Ylönen with Heineman, add the 1st round pick (WIN) and 3rd of 2025 (VAN).
LAK
  1. Heineman, Emil
  2. Kovacevic, Johnathan
  3. Ylönen, Jesse
  4. 2024 1st round pick (WPG)
  5. 2025 3rd round pick (VAN)
Additional Details:
Gives LAK a very good defenseman who has respectable numbers in a club that didn't get much of those plusses at the blue line, Ylönen who has proven he can play on a 3rd or 4th line and Heineman who played a few games and is progressing well to become a 4th liner. Add WPG's pick and VAN's 3rd in 2025 LAK get a few more picks, and some players who can actually play now.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the COL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the DET
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$87,500,000$71,407,083$1,022,500$5,747,500$16,092,917
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 7
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 3
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$3,150,000$3,150,000
G
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$750,000$750K)
LD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 1
$1,950,000$1,950,000
LD/RD
RFA
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$1,000,000$1M)
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$867,500$867,500 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
LD
RFA - 1
$885,000$885,000 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
C
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 18 at 10:20 a.m.
Lol
extremely likely Catton is a LW in the NHL, same with Iggy
Apr. 18 at 10:21 a.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
Dobson, Pulock, Mayfield locked in long term on the right side.

if we hadn't signed Mayfield id be interested tho
tm0000 and Hudsonfaschingisdad liked this.
Apr. 18 at 10:25 a.m.
Unless the Isles can find a way to unload Mayfield's contract, they have no room for another RD behind him, Pulock, and Dobson.
Apr. 18 at 10:28 a.m.
Quoting: Kyle_Okposo_Lover

I think he's best to switch Harris for Barron for both other teams perspectives.
Apr. 18 at 10:30 a.m.
Josh Anderson Sucks
Quoting: Hockeyfan1986
I think he's best to switch Harris for Barron for both other teams perspectives.

Id be interested in Harris but it wouldn't include a top 50 pick, end of story.

Wahlstrom plus 3rd or 4th rounder? sure, idek if Habs have interest in him tho. Harris isn't worth more than that tho, we have Romanov and Pelech, and Reilly has been amazing
Apr. 18 at 10:42 a.m.
Danny B is here
I don’t see why the Flyers would spend what will be an early 2nd on a guy they don’t need
Apr. 18 at 10:42 a.m.
Let's point out Demidov comment. He is playing in the MHL(30gp with 60 points). Michkov(22gp with 38pts) in the same league as a 17 year old(2 years ago). Yes, the Russian aspect there.

Lindstrom will be in the top 5. That is the player I want Montreal to select(if available).

Montreal should also look for an RHD. By the time Savard(assuming he signs an extension next season, since he wants to stay), retires or wants to take a step back. Reinbacher should be ready for top line, but do you really think Mailloux will be ready for 2nd pairing?

Should be select Lindstrom, if selected back up plan, is to go for the best RHD.
Apr. 18 at 10:44 a.m.
Id be interested in Harris but it wouldn't include a top 50 pick, end of story.

Wahlstrom plus 3rd or 4th rounder? sure, idek if Habs have interest in him tho. Harris isn't worth more than that though, we have Romanov and Pelech, and Reilly has been amazing

Agreed, I think the trades themselves would be reworked. The value of the original trades is fair, just not the team that are part of the deals.
Kyle_Okposo_Lover liked this.
Apr. 18 at 10:53 a.m.
Well first of all, I don't see Harris getting early 2nd in return. More likely late 2nd/3rd. Secondly, Flyers most likely doesn't have that pick but CBJ -25 2nd instead. Thirdly, I doubt they have interest on small LHD as they have Sanheim, York, Seeler and Zamula as LHD.

Could maybe be interested in Barron, if the price is right.
Apr. 18 at 11:15 a.m.
About Demidov:

Russian prospects are not stuck in Russia. Khusnutdinov, Miroshnichenko, Neuchev, Svechkov, Chibrikov are all good Russian prospects that came in North America.

Demidov have 0 point in the KHL because he played less than 8 minutes in average when he was there. It is not worrying scout at all. However, he played few games in the VHL (2nd men league in Russia) and he didn’t put a point despite having in average 20 minutes of time on ice. That point is worrying me a little personally. That’s why he’s not 2nd on my list but 3rd behind Konsta Helenius.
Apr. 18 at 11:52 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I don't think that Los Angeles is going to trade back if the compensation is what you yourself characterize fourth-liners and a bottom-pair defenseman (who clearly won't supplant Brandt Clarke or Jordan Spence on the right side), especially when the Kings have superior left-handed forward prospects than Heineman (Turcotte, Helenius, Pinelli) and right-handed forward prospects than Ylonen (Thomas, Chromiak, Ziemmer). Unless you're willing to give us one good prospect like Barron, I think that the Kings would only accept the Colorado second as adequate compensation for any pick swap.
Apr. 19 at 7:58 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill

Totally understand, but I think you need to consider that Roy is a different beast, he likes to mold younger guys into his style of hockey. Mayfield is 31, still good for a Defenseman, but played 41 games and was -7. They may consider adding an extra body to either have more depth or just as a precaution and (depending on the true nature of his injury) rest him out a bit more until he's 100%, or even look for a trade to get new blood upfront if needed.

Barron could be an easy win for Roy on that end.
Apr. 19 at 8:03 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: tm0000
Unless the Isles can find a way to unload Mayfield's contract, they have no room for another RD behind him, Pulock, and Dobson.

I find it hard to believe that I'm reading comments about having no room for another young RD because they have three players now. Mayfield isn't getting any younger and may need time to rest, Barron is an opportunity for Roy to mold a new kid as he reaches full potential in 1 to 2 years. If Mayfield isn't 100% at the start of next year, Isles may need to have a bit more depth with a player who can play 10min per game on the third pair with offensive potential. His defensive skills can be brought up with good coaching, which you guys have right now in Roy.

Giving a mid to late 1st is not that big of a deal when you have a ready to play guy vs a prospect you have no clue how he can develop in a year or two.
Apr. 19 at 8:12 a.m.
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
I find it hard to believe that I'm reading comments about having no room for another young RD because they have three players now. Mayfield isn't getting any younger and may need time to rest, Barron is an opportunity for Roy to mold a new kid as he reaches full potential in 1 to 2 years. If Mayfield isn't 100% at the start of next year, Isles may need to have a bit more depth with a player who can play 10min per game on the third pair with offensive potential. His defensive skills can be brought up with good coaching, which you guys have right now in Roy.

Giving a mid to late 1st is not that big of a deal when you have a ready to play guy vs a prospect you have no clue how he can develop in a year or two.

The problem is that Mayfield and Pulock are signed long term and Dobson is awesome and going to be signed long term. So that's three RD's locked up for the foreseeable future. The only one of them that should be replaced is Mayfield, but he's unmoveable, so, like you've been told, the Isles don't really have room for another RD, and certainly are going to spend significant assets on one, young or otherwise. Unless they can somehow get someone to take Mayfield off their hands, which there is a roughly zero percent chance of happening since he was both bad and injured this year, and still has six more years under contract.
Apr. 19 at 8:15 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Let's point out Demidov comment. He is playing in the MHL(30gp with 60 points). Michkov(22gp with 38pts) in the same league as a 17 year old(2 years ago). Yes, the Russian aspect there..

Points in those leagues doesn't mean anything. Once they graduate to AHL or NHL it's either they can or can't. Joshua Roy put up 119 and 99 goals in the juniors, he's 6' and can play. Still, in the AHL was only able to put up 31pts in 40 games with a -15. With the Habs 9pts -2 in 23 games.

It always depends on the value of the league that year, how many good defensemen are out there playing against you, and are there any top goalie on the opposing teams. I don't value those points for now. He's not been impressive on his first try-out in the KHL and VHL. That may be a better indicator.

Lindstrom will be in the top 5. That is the player I want Montreal to select(if available).

Montreal should also look for an RHD. By the time Savard(assuming he signs an extension next season, since he wants to stay), retires or wants to take a step back. Reinbacher should be ready for top line, but do you really think Mailloux will be ready for 2nd pairing?

Should be select Lindstrom, if selected back up plan, is to go for the best RHD.

Yeah, Lindstrom goes up to the top 5 or drops to the top 10 depending on the lists, but yeah could be that one surprise player that pops-out of the draft and give the team that selects him the right to brag. So I wouldn't be surprised if they go for him if he's still there.
Apr. 19 at 8:21 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Jobob77
About Demidov:

Russian prospects are not stuck in Russia. Khusnutdinov, Miroshnichenko, Neuchev, Svechkov, Chibrikov are all good Russian prospects that came in North America.

Demidov have 0 point in the KHL because he played less than 8 minutes in average when he was there. It is not worrying scout at all. However, he played few games in the VHL (2nd men league in Russia) and he didn’t put a point despite having in average 20 minutes of time on ice. That point is worrying me a little personally. That’s why he’s not 2nd on my list but 3rd behind Konsta Helenius.

Yeah but all good prospects aren't top 3 prospects. Hence why Philly drafted Michkov 7th instead of having gone top 2, and you know the whole father deal where the rumors were that he was negotiating to have his son come to North America before he suddenly vanished and found dead.

If Demidov is seen as someone who can help the KHL go up a notch, they will not let him go as they did with Michkov. Putin wants Russia to keep their stars in Russia. Could be just a misconception, but the circumstances are weary to say the least. I would not bet my top 10 pick on a player I can't seem to have control over his coming over here.
Apr. 19 at 8:23 a.m.
Points in those leagues doesn't mean anything. Once they graduate to AHL or NHL it's either they can or can't. Joshua Roy put up 119 and 99 goals in the juniors, he's 6' and can play. Still, in the AHL was only able to put up 31pts in 40 games with a -15. With the Habs 9pts -2 in 23 games.

It always depends on the value of the league that year, how many good defensemen are out there playing against you, and are there any top goalie on the opposing teams. I don't value those points for now. He's not been impressive on his first try-out in the KHL and VHL. That may be a better indicator.

My point is Demidov is classified like Michkov. Mitchkov was rated #2, but drafted #7 by Flyers. In a high D rated draft, a team looking for forwards may take him higher(but I expect like 7-10 as well). I am agreeing with you, but giving status on why he is higher up on the list.
Apr. 19 at 8:28 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: tm0000
The problem is that Mayfield and Pulock are signed long term and Dobson is awesome and going to be signed long term. So that's three RD's locked up for the foreseeable future. The only one of them that should be replaced is Mayfield, but he's unmoveable, so, like you've been told, the Isles don't really have room for another RD, and certainly are going to spend significant assets on one, young or otherwise. Unless they can somehow get someone to take Mayfield off their hands, which there is a roughly zero percent chance of happening since he was both bad and injured this year, and still has six more years under contract.

in this hockey league.. nothing is 0%... Habs moved Weber's contract out... Got 2 first by taking and trading Monahan.. Got a 2nd for Allen and were able to move not once but twice Petry... LOL!

If a team wants to take a chance and sit Mayfield out for a year to let him recuperate at 100% (and if the Isles are ready for that, Barron could be the backup for that year and see where it goes), there's no way of it being 0%. LOL!
Apr. 19 at 8:37 a.m.
Yeah but all good prospects aren't top 3 prospects. Hence why Philly drafted Michkov 7th instead of having gone top 2, and you know the whole father deal where the rumors were that he was negotiating to have his son come to North America before he suddenly vanished and found dead.

If Demidov is seen as someone who can help the KHL go up a notch, they will not let him go as they did with Michkov. Putin wants Russia to keep their stars in Russia. Could be just a misconception, but the circumstances are weary to say the least. I would not bet my top 10 pick on a player I can't seem to have control over his coming over here.

Yurov is coming in the nhl and he is one of the best prospect in the KHL. Miro also was an excellent prospecf. Russia and Putin already have a lot of trouble. They don’t want to start a sport war with USA right now. They have other things to bother about right now.

Everything around Andrei Michkov’s death are rumors. Facts are that Michkov went 7th mainly because of himself. He seems to be a **** disturber. When a player fought his teamate/ex-teamate twice (Remezovsky and Miroshnichenko), kicked a teamate in the locker room because he was in hid way and reportedly was having a bad attitude with Washington’s amateur scouting crew, he is going to slip.
Apr. 19 at 8:43 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Jobob77
Yurov is coming in the nhl and he is one of the best prospect in the KHL. Miro also was an excellent prospecf. Russia and Putin already have a lot of trouble. They don’t want to start a sport war with USA right now. They have other things to bother about right now.

Everything around Andrei Michkov’s death are rumors. Facts are that Michkov went 7th mainly because of himself. He seems to be a **** disturber. When a player fought his teamate/ex-teamate twice (Remezovsky and Miroshnichenko), kicked a teamate in the locker room because he was in hid way and reportedly was having a bad attitude with Washington’s amateur scouting crew, he is going to slip.

so you're addressing his father's death rumors with even bigger rumors...
Apr. 19 at 9:01 a.m.
so you're addressing his father's death rumors with even bigger rumors...

There are clips of these fights…
Apr. 19 at 11:13 a.m.
You haven't even looked at how many players LA can dress next season. Dream on

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll