SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Trade Machine Proposals

Campbell cap dump Blues can help

Created by: Blueman96
Published: Apr. 22 at 11:35 a.m.
Salary Cap: $87,500,000
Season Days: 192/192 (100%)
Central Registry Determination: This trade has met the central registry's trade checklist

Logo of the Edmonton OilersEdmonton Oilers

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Campbell, JackEdmonton OilersMinor-$3,850,000011-------00
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the Edmonton OilersEDM)---100------
2026 1st round pick (Logo of the Edmonton OilersEDM)---100------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
2025 4th round pick (Logo of the St. Louis BluesSTL)---001------
2026 6th round pick (Logo of the St. Louis BluesSTL)---001------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$14,233,333132962359
Change$3,850,0000-1-1-202
Final$18,083,333 (↑)1328 (↓)61 (↓)1 (↓)511 (↑)000

Logo of the St. Louis BluesSt. Louis Blues

OutStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
2025 4th round pick (Logo of the St. Louis BluesSTL)---001------
2026 6th round pick (Logo of the St. Louis BluesSTL)---001------
InStatusRetained SalaryEffective Cap HitRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Campbell, JackEdmonton OilersMinor-$3,850,000011-------00
2025 1st round pick (Logo of the Edmonton OilersEDM)---100------
2026 1st round pick (Logo of the Edmonton OilersEDM)---100------
ChangeCap SpaceRosterSPCReserve ListDraft Rd 1Rd 2-3Rd 4-7GPGAPGAASv%
Initial$15,442,7381731653611
Change-$3,850,00001120-2
Final$11,592,738 (↓)1732 (↑)66 (↑)5 (↑)69 (↓)000
Apr. 22 at 12:43 p.m.
mokumboi
What you've proposed is rather a fleece for the Blues, but we're not chasing deferred picks right now. Easy pass.
Apr. 22 at 3:41 p.m.
Quoting: mokumboi
What you've proposed is rather a fleece for the Blues, but we're not chasing deferred picks right now. Easy pass.

If our plan is internal growth anyways. I don't see too much harm in doing something like this deferred or not.

I don't think Edmonton would pay 2 1sts to dump Campbell and I'm aware how useless he and his contract would most likely be. But it appears as if this was year 1 of Armstrong's 3is year plan. I don't really see the large need for that cap space especially as the other vets are expiring contracts at a similar timeline or before.
Apr. 22 at 3:55 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: AC14
If our plan is internal growth anyways. I don't see too much harm in doing something like this deferred or not.

I don't think Edmonton would pay 2 1sts to dump Campbell and I'm aware how useless he and his contract would most likely be. But it appears as if this was year 1 of Armstrong's 3is year plan. I don't really see the large need for that cap space especially as the other vets are expiring contracts at a similar timeline or before.

It's a terrible idea because that is not at all what we'd ask for to take a big dump we'd need to either buy out or retain half to trade for nothing if we're lucky.

As for cap space it's always better to have it until you need it than it is to have none when you do. We are not Chicago looking 3-5 years off. It won't take three years to compete if we make smart moves with intention. This is not that. I'm aware that compete and contend aren't the same thing, but we all know we're not going to pay 10M for far off low 1sts.
Apr. 22 at 5:40 p.m.
It's a terrible idea because that is not at all what we'd ask for to take a big dump we'd need to either buy out or retain half to trade for nothing if we're lucky.

As for cap space it's always better to have it until you need it than it is to have none when you do. We are not Chicago looking 3-5 years off. It won't take three years to compete if we make smart moves with intention. This is not that. I'm aware that compete and contend aren't the same thing, but we all know we're not going to pay 10M for far off low 1sts.

I know it’s not going to happen. I just don’t see much of an issue with it if we’re going to be stringent about sticking to the plan.

Only downside is it would limit a possibility if something came up where we needed to take on cap space for a player that we really liked. But that goes against the help coming internally
Apr. 22 at 6:27 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: AC14
I know it’s not going to happen. I just don’t see much of an issue with it if we’re going to be stringent about sticking to the plan.

Only downside is it would limit a possibility if something came up where we needed to take on cap space for a player that we really liked. But that goes against the help coming internally

It's never all going to come internally, especially as we get closer to contending. Army said everything is on the table. Trade ups. A buyout. There's several young veteran Dmen that could be had because their teams are in cap crunches. Of course that theoretically includes eating some cap for a useful return, but late 1sts that could be useful 5 years from now is about last on the priority list. We want guys closer to ready. The prospect pool is already loaded at G and F, so we don't need volume of picks down the road. We need precision moves now, not more hit and hope.

And yeah, I know you know it's implausible. But it also doesn't address our very pressing needs at all. Like, at least put Broberg in there. Some kinda something that actually tempts.
Apr. 23 at 12:49 p.m.

A few stories I've read online have quotes saying it would take "multiple firsts" for Edmonton to rid themselves of Campbell's contract scott-free so that's where the idea came from.

I agree I don't think Edmonton does it but Blues could theoretically stand to benefit.

Army has wrecked this team. As far as "pressing needs" there are none. Dump assets, weaponize cap space, get more picks and prospects. That should be the only plan IMO.

Ownership can't and Army won't weaponize any cap space we have anyway so this is something that'll never happen but, again IMO, should.

I'd buy out Krug and Hayes if ownership could afford it and Army wasn't steadfastly against such things. I look forward to another mediocre finish next season!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll