Forums/Armchair-GM

Just a twiddling thought as odds are Marner is resigned

Created by: hockeynutter
Team: 2024-25 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 25, 2024
Published: Apr. 25, 2024
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Yes trades unlikely but can make sense..Ottawa gets a rhd that is cheaper plus asset. The rhd is capable of good top 4 minutes. Toronto gets a chance to remake their defense. Utah trades a couple picks out of their huge surplus to had a little bit of salary to improve the PK and bottom 6 depth while hoping for the future like Cooley to lead them to a playoff first year for Utah.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,750,000
2$975,000
2$1,650,000
2$975,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,750,000
2$1,500,000
6$7,000,000
2$2,300,000
1$875,000
1$875,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (ARI)
  2. 2024 7th round pick (ARI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$87,700,000$87,419,667$0$0$280,333
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, RW
UFA
$13,250,000$13,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$11,500,000$11,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LW, RW
RFA
$800,000$800,000
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LW, C
RFA
$875,000$875,000
C
UFA
$1,350,000$1,350,000
RW
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LW, RW
RFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
RD
UFA
$766,667$766,667
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
G
UFA
$1,350,000$1,350,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 25 at 2:34 p.m.
ott declines
Apr. 25 at 2:39 p.m.
Avid Sports Fan
Quoting: athrin
ott declines

Maybe but maybe not. Liljegren is a former first round pick capable of good top four minutes that will never cost more than Chychrun. Chychrun is looking to be traded because paying 24+ million for 3 LD is a tough sell for fans. Their need is RHD. This trade also gives Ottawa a first round pick and a good scoring prospect. What did Ottawa give up for 3 years of Chychrun 1 first and 2 seconds. This is essentially two 1sts plus for only what may be 1 year of service unless chychrun resigns.

Look at the overall picture. Most defenseman reache peaks between 25 and 30. At under 3 million for a defenseman that has shown the ability to play great top 4 minutes and would not be relied upon as a top performer because Sanderson, chabot and zub will be considered Mainstays above could work a better balance and depth for their defence which is still currently an Achilles heel despite the amount of growth Sanderson keeps showing.
Apr. 25 at 2:52 p.m.
Quoting: hockeynutter
Maybe but maybe not. Liljegren is a former first round pick capable of good top four minutes that will never cost more than Chychrun. Chychrun is looking to be traded because paying 24+ million for 3 LD is a tough sell for fans. Their need is RHD. This trade also gives Ottawa a first round pick and a good scoring prospect. What did Ottawa give up for 3 years of Chychrun 1 first and 2 seconds. This is essentially two 1sts plus for only what may be 1 year of service unless chychrun resigns.

Look at the overall picture. Most defenseman reache peaks between 25 and 30. At under 3 million for a defenseman that has shown the ability to play great top 4 minutes and would not be relied upon as a top performer because Sanderson, chabot and zub will be considered Mainstays above could work a better balance and depth for their defence which is still currently an Achilles heel despite the amount of growth Sanderson keeps showing.

OTT aint trading chych in division without a overpay and this aint it, a 3rd pairing guy a F tier prospect and a late first dont get TOR chych
Apr. 25 at 2:57 p.m.
Avid Sports Fan
Quoting: athrin
OTT aint trading chych in division without a overpay and this aint it, a 3rd pairing guy a F tier prospect and a late first dont get TOR chych

I am not arguing the thought there as yes Toronto is a division ri al. What I am saying is Liljegren overall this year has provided good top 4 four for Toronto when healthy. He is still young enough and works for Ottawa to bring right handed. This would work in Ottawa favour because Chychrun is a pending UFA, which does hurt his overall value thus a trade like this may be one of the better ones they can get. Most teams will now want a commitment for guaranteed resign upon trade from Chychrun. TO can leverage this if Chychrun is not sure where he wants to resign as they are still in win now mode.
Apr. 25 at 3:06 p.m.
Jz
OTT only does it if it includes Knies which I know TOR won’t do, I wouldn’t if I was them either, Knies is like Greig for them & he’s untouchable
hockeynutter liked this.
Apr. 25 at 3:22 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
No, the trades don't make sense......not at all.
Marner resigned? I'm guessing less than 50%. Gotta think the Leafs will find better ways (in their mind) to spend 11 or 12m.
I didn't understand the resigning of Nylander. 11.5m X 8. Could that have been spent better? The question will be answered objectively in the spring of 2032.
Apr. 25 at 3:26 p.m.
Avid Sports Fan
Quoting: JZ_DAL
OTT only does it if it includes Knies which I know TOR won’t do, I wouldn’t if I was them either, Knies is like Greig for them & he’s untouchable

Agree and disagree because Ottawa could be at risk to get less for Chychrun due to the fact that he is now a pending UFA. This could easily affect the trades and the value as shown in the past. I agree that normally Ottawa would want more and yes because of what they call divisional rival tax but if the UFA status diverts teams off which is also entirely possible a trade like this is also a win for a Ottawa when they still a good top four potential DMan.that is right handed.
Apr. 25 at 3:27 p.m.
Avid Sports Fan
Quoting: palhal
No, the trades don't make sense......not at all.
Marner resigned? I'm guessing less than 50%. Gotta think the Leafs will find better ways (in their mind) to spend 11 or 12m.
I didn't understand the resigning of Nylander. 11.5m X 8. Could that have been spent better? The question will be answered objectively in the spring of 2032.

Marner can easily resign at around 12 million and overall his play is worth that much to most teams. I agree a trade could be better and not against it I just don't see a team willing to offer what we need and wanting to go a future route of a 1st, mid prospect, and a mid tier forward/defenceman.
Apr. 25 at 3:35 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Marner can easily resign at around 12 million and overall his play is worth that much to most teams. I agree a trade could be better and not against it I just don't see a team willing to offer what we need and wanting to go a future route of a 1st, mid prospect, and a mid tier forward/defenceman.

Please I wish fans of all teams would look at their rosters......Take the Leafs.....Currently they Bertuzzi, Domi, Tavares, Kampf, Reaves, Jarnkrok, Brodie, Samsonov, Benoit, all signed as UFAs, which the Leafs acquired for free. So this obsession fans have (especially Leaf fans when talking about Marner) thinking they are going to anything back in a trade for him is ridiculous. No team has the cap, and the Leafs will just keep him for a Cup run. The future without Marner when he goes as a UFA. is the 11m the Leafs will have to spend on other players. To think the Leafs are going to get a haul of futures for Marner and then 11m in cap space.....ridiculous.
Apr. 25 at 3:38 p.m.
Jz
Agree and disagree because Ottawa could be at risk to get less for Chychrun due to the fact that he is now a pending UFA. This could easily affect the trades and the value as shown in the past. I agree that normally Ottawa would want more and yes because of what they call divisional rival tax but if the UFA status diverts teams off which is also entirely possible a trade like this is also a win for a Ottawa when they still a good top four potential DMan.that is right handed.
Ottawa is going to have absolutely no trouble moving Chychrun, player of his quality & 4.6 million alone for him is good value, he’ll come with extension 7x7 aswell, PHI has interest, OTT could get Frost, Laughton & FLA 1st
Apr. 25 at 3:48 p.m.
Avid Sports Fan
Please I wish fans of all teams would look at their rosters......Take the Leafs.....Currently they Bertuzzi, Domi, Tavares, Kampf, Reaves, Jarnkrok, Brodie, Samsonov, Benoit, all signed as UFAs, which the Leafs acquired for free. So this obsession fans have (especially Leaf fans when talking about Marner) thinking they are going to anything back in a trade for him is ridiculous. No team has the cap, and the Leafs will just keep him for a Cup run. The future without Marner when he goes as a UFA. is the 11m the Leafs will have to spend on other players. To think the Leafs are going to get a haul of futures for Marner and then 11m in cap space.....ridiculous.

I never said a haul of futures. Most teams gladly pay for a ppg player capable of 100 points. The problem is Toronto is in win now mode. They do nowt want nor need futures. They need a fairly capable 60-80 point guy to somewhat replace Marner and his offense in the top 6 and a true top 4 D. According to many reports Nylander was only offered futures based on the above comment and no team offered a comparable top 4 type DMan on a comparable contract hence why Nylander was resigned. Better to resign then to let walk and have another team sign said such deal. Because the odds a UFA can come in a replace what was lost from them as UFA is slim. That is my point. Please point out one trade for either Marner or Nylander according to insider reports would honestly improve our team. I am not against trading them as Yes our cap is too proportionate to forwards but also sacrificing offense for just defense never works. We need grinders like Bert, but also puck moving Dmen and great passers like Marner. This is the conundrum. Because if we remove a Marner, we remove a great playmaker and need to find a way to accommodate that. It doesn't need to be another Marner, maybe a Domi type but where do we get that etc... etc... there is a lot to think about.
Apr. 25 at 3:52 p.m.
Avid Sports Fan

Also you forget that we will lose a top 3 winger and #2c the same year of UFA look at those ufas and see whom you think we can guaranteed resign to replace. It's not leaf fans it's that you are competing against 31 other teams to sign said player which often means an overpay and thus not saving salary as letting them walk. That is actual worry to just allow salary to leave. In basketball, baseball and football teams often use this approach to only find themselves behind the 8 ball and then not signing said player and now behind the 8 player.
Apr. 25 at 3:53 p.m.
Quoting: JZ_DAL
Ottawa is going to have absolutely no trouble moving Chychrun, player of his quality & 4.6 million alone for him is good value, he’ll come with extension 7x7 aswell, PHI has interest, OTT could get Frost, Laughton & FLA 1st

Ottawa definitely not getting all that from Philly imo.
palhal liked this.
Apr. 25 at 5:20 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Edited Apr. 25 at 5:25 p.m.
Also you forget that we will lose a top 3 winger and #2c the same year of UFA look at those ufas and see whom you think we can guaranteed resign to replace. It's not leaf fans it's that you are competing against 31 other teams to sign said player which often means an overpay and thus not saving salary as letting them walk. That is actual worry to just allow salary to leave. In basketball, baseball and football teams often use this approach to only find themselves behind the 8 ball and then not signing said player and now behind the 8 player.

But it isn't " a worry". It's 22m to sign other players. It's called unrestricted free agency. Leafs and other teams sign UFAs, and do so without getting anything in return. If Marner wants to leave or the Leafs think he isn't worth to sign.....so be it. But it's sound like such a "homerist" point of view, do expect full value for a upcoming UFA, and then to sign UFAs for free. Now if the Leafs are "sellers" at TDL 2025, yeah I can see Tavares or Marner possibly traded. There cap won't be as onerous to their new teams.

If the Leafs hadn't resigned 11.5m Nylander. The Leafs would have lets say 11.5m and 5m in cap to sign a Dman. 16.5m total
Gee, the Leafs could have have two 5.5m Dmen and had 4.5m to spend on a winger.
It's just a false premise that if a UFA walks, you get nothing for them. It's certainly a lot better to let them walk instead of overpaying them.
Apr. 26 at 8:49 a.m.
Avid Sports Fan
But it isn't " a worry". It's 22m to sign other players. It's called unrestricted free agency. Leafs and other teams sign UFAs, and do so without getting anything in return. If Marner wants to leave or the Leafs think he isn't worth to sign.....so be it. But it's sound like such a "homerist" point of view, do expect full value for a upcoming UFA, and then to sign UFAs for free. Now if the Leafs are "sellers" at TDL 2025, yeah I can see Tavares or Marner possibly traded. There cap won't be as onerous to their new teams.

If the Leafs hadn't resigned 11.5m Nylander. The Leafs would have lets say 11.5m and 5m in cap to sign a Dman. 16.5m total
It's just a false premise that if a UFA walks, you get nothing for them. It's certainly a lot better to let them walk instead of overpaying them.

I am not arguing whether fans view as overpaid or not. What I am talking about is replacing the players in free agency. If Marner wants to walk and refuses to resign because he wants the same Matthews. Then yes so be it. According to many insiders they expect Marner to sign similar to Nylander which they all say is right on what the price should be. The question comes then from two thoughts. Let him which if we do we need to sign a forward capable and consistently able to produce 60+ points and a top 4 defenseman. Let's look at the Bertuzzi signing compared to that of what Guentzel should sign. 40 points for Bert at 5.5 and Guentzel at 85 points for 9 million approximately. That would show if a forward was available to sign at around a 70 points player, his price tag is probably 7.5 million. That leaves us with 4-5 million for a defenseman. The top defenseman this year are all looking to sign 6.5 to 8 million a season. That is they thought process a good GM must make. He must decide if I let said player walk who can I possibly resign to replace. Treliving tried this in Calgary with ownership a big reason why he had to try and replace. He was smart with the Tkachuk trade. His mistake was listening to the pressure from ownership and fans to instantly sign Huberdeau before seeing how Huberdeau fits.
So if we can't replace then we look to trade, and now comes our perceived value versus the teams perceived value for such a trade to give what is needed.
Apr. 26 at 8:54 a.m.
Avid Sports Fan

Looking at 2025 free agents and the list has Draisatl, Rantanen, Tavares, Marner, Crosby, Benn as the main free agents for forwards. Rantanen, Draisatl, Crosby all probably resign. Benn is not the same player he was and would not replace come close to Marner. Then there's Konecny, who probably resigns, Ekblad and Theodore. The salary cap in 2025 is expected to go up to 91 million at this moment in time. Plus if we resign Tavares and were smart we would offer a huge low ball offer saving 5 million or more there. Easy to sign a Ekblad or Theodore if they don't resign.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll