Forums/Armchair-GM

Tavares (with description)

Created by: Terrorsenko
Team: 2017-18 St. Louis Blues
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 31, 2017
Published: Jul. 31, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trade happens at the trade deadline, where we have $14M in cap space so ignore the $77M cap hit, couldn't put Bergie on LTIR since the lineup is for the playoffs. Gunnar can be traded for those of you who see a problem with this. Trade is based on an idea of Willian_Cardoso in his Rebuilding (trading even Tavares) thread. He traded Tavares to Montreal for Galchenyuk, Juulsen, and two first round picks.

Fabbri has similar value to Galchenyuk, who has better offensive numbers but a lesser overall game. Juulsen and Schmaltz are comparable, although Juulsen probably has a higher ceiling, Thompson is a first round pick and has a very good chance to be an impact top 9 forward so has slightly better value than a 1st rd pick, 1st rd pick=1st rd pick. Might need to add a bit depending on how you view certain prospects.

Forward Lines:
1st line-I think splitting up Tavares and Tarasenko is better than putting them together and provides a 1-2 punch for our forward lines. Schwartz and Tarasenko have good chemistry and Staz is in a contract year. I also think Yeo's system gives more freedom to centers and Staz will produce more than in previous years.

2nd line-Could easily be considered the first line and provides a great 1-2 punch. Schenn and tavares provide scoring while Steen provides great two-way play. Either Tavares of Tarasenko will be on the ice against the other teams 2nd line for at least 10 minutes every game.

3rd line-shut-down line that also can provide great secondary scoring while playing against the other teams top lines. all three can play center and take faceoffs.

4th line-Should be a carousel with Brodziak, Paajarvi, Jaskin, Sanford, Bennett, Thorburn, and Sundqvist all rotating in and out of the lineup. I like the versatility and the different types of dynamics the fourth line can take on.

Defense:
1st pairing-Bouw and Petro keep doing what they do with Petro seeing an uptick in offensive numbers with the departure of Shattenkirk.

2nd pairing-Both Ed and Parayko keep growing and become one of the better 2nd pairings in the League. Parayko should also see an uptick in offense with the departure of Shatty and in increase in shooting percentage from 2% last year.

3rd pairing-Dunn thrives getting sheltered minutes alongside a defensive defenseman in Bortuzzo.

Other thoughts:
Would have to think this team would be a favorite to come out of the West and a strong contender for the cup. We have the futures to package for a game-breaking player like Tavares, I'd even be willing to add Kyrou if that's what it takes. Ultimately how far we go in the playoffs depends on how Allen does but if we see the Allen from the Minnesota series, I think we win the cup, although that's a lot to ask from an inconsistent goaltender.

With Stastny coming off the books and Gunnar likely gone after this season, we have the cap room to sign Tavares and Edmundson.

I know getting Tavares is a long shot but wanted to play around with the idea as I think the blues would be an ideal destination if he chooses not to resign with NYI.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
Trades
NYI
  1. Fabbri, Robby
  2. Schmaltz, Jordan
  3. Thompson, Tage
  4. 2020 1st round pick (STL)
Additional Details:
Trade contingent on Tavares resigning with STL
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
Logo of the STL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$69,739,167$0$440,000$5,260,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
$5,350,000$5,350,000
LW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
LW, RW, C
NTC
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,125,000$5,125,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$741,667$741,667 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW
NTC
UFA - 5
$800,000$800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,400,000$5,400,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 3
$4,350,000$4,350,000
G
UFA - 4
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 5
$1,125,000$1,125,000
G
UFA - 1
$722,500$722,500 (Performance Bonus$257,500$258K)
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$1,150,000$1,150,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,900,000$2,900,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 31, 2017 at 5:01 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Edited Jul. 31, 2017 at 5:10 p.m.
I agree with you, it's a long shot. But one thing is for sure; if all of our nearly-NHL-ready prospects push for roster spots next year, we will have a few too many forwards (and some cap room opening up) so a bold move like this makes sense. I think your valuation is fair for both teams - it's essentially equivalent to an offer sheet comp package (4 1st rounders) but the deal has matured. Not sure what NYI would look like with 3 new contracts, but I guess selling off JT would lead to a full-on reconstruction.

I really disagree with the lines though. If STL goes out and gets Tavares, he is going to play next to Tarasenko. Our top line has to get to the level of other teams' top lines; 1C... it's the biggest weakness, it's why we would go after Tavares in the first place. We'd have enough skill to fill out the top 9 with scoring threats, I wouldn't worry about balancing the scoring.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 5:27 p.m.
Quoting: AK_tune
I agree with you, it's a long shot. But one thing is for sure; if all of our nearly-NHL-ready prospects push for roster spots next year, we will have a few too many forwards (and some cap room opening up) so a bold move like this makes sense. I think your valuation is fair for both teams - it's essentially equivalent to an offer sheet comp package (4 1st rounders) but the deal has matured. Not sure what NYI would look like with 3 new contracts, but I guess selling off JT would lead to a full-on reconstruction.

I really disagree with the lines though. If STL goes out and gets Tavares, he is going to play next to Tarasenko. Our top line has to get to the level of other teams' top lines; 1C... it's the biggest weakness, it's why we would go after Tavares in the first place. We'd have enough skill to fill out the top 9 with scoring threats, I wouldn't worry about balancing the scoring.

Yeah I like the idea of this. It really is a compensation trade. Gotta agree on the lines too. Also, looking at our current roster - I still feel like while 1C is a paramount issue, we are SUPER thin at RW. Like technically Beau Bennett or Jaskin is our 2nd RW behind Tarasenko. I know we'll play Schenn or someone there. But we need another RH shot out there. That was one of the reasons I liked Perron there.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 5:42 p.m.
Being a Ranger fan and knowing a lot of Islander fans I'm telling you, JT is most likely staying an Islander unless they play In brooklyn next season. Not only that, the Islanders aren't too far off being a playoff team, so I feel like they're pointing more towards a good player opposed to prospects. If they go for a rebuild than this probably works. Seems like you did your research which is good. Overall if the right things are in place, than this could happen.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 5:50 p.m.
Lets Go Blues
Quoting: ConorVoigt

Yeah I like the idea of this. It really is a compensation trade. Gotta agree on the lines too. Also, looking at our current roster - I still feel like while 1C is a paramount issue, we are SUPER thin at RW. Like technically Beau Bennett or Jaskin is our 2nd RW behind Tarasenko. I know we'll play Schenn or someone there. But we need another RH shot out there. That was one of the reasons I liked Perron there.

True - Armstrong admitted that we were too lefty-heavy, and brought in Thorburn, Sundqvist and Bennett for that reason. I agree with you though, it didn't exactly make the right side stronger. I bet his plan is to have Thompson and Kyrou eventually find homes at RW (if they're not traded of course). They seem to be fit for 2nd/3rd line duties and are RHS.
Jul. 31, 2017 at 7:00 p.m.

True - Armstrong admitted that we were too lefty-heavy, and brought in Thorburn, Sundqvist and Bennett for that reason. I agree with you though, it didn't exactly make the right side stronger. I bet his plan is to have Thompson and Kyrou eventually find homes at RW (if they're not traded of course). They seem to be fit for 2nd/3rd line duties and are RHS.

Yeah I'd love to see Kyrou get a shot at some RW time, same with Kostin/Thompson. Kyrou really seems like a good fit moving forward (great speed and playmaking). Would love to see him come up earlier rather than later. I think Armstrong really sees a lto of promise in our prospects (I agree with him) and sees us internally improving throughout the year.

I would love to see what Thompson/Kyrou/Kostin/Dunn/Walman can do at the NHL level this season.
Aug. 1, 2017 at 9:20 a.m.
Thanks for the feedback all. I agree that Tavares is most likely staying with the Islanders but had to play with the idea because of the outside chance he doesn't (and I'm super bored and ready for the season to start). And I also see where AK and Conor are coming from in pairing Tavares in Tarasenko and we would definitely try that first but my thought for the lines was that during the playoffs it seems like you really need two lines that are offensive threats and it would be a lot harder to matchup against us if we split them up. I also just don't see JT and Vova having that great of chemistry but we'll probably never know for sure. I could really see it going either way though if we were to get Tavares.

Again, thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll