Forums/Armchair-GM

IN: Gaudreau, Bennett, Draisaitl ; OUT: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher

Created by: We_Want_The_Cup
Team: 2017-18 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 8, 2017
Published: Aug. 8, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- Capitalize on a poor year by Gaudreau when his value is lower. Give them a way more complete and tested LW. Save us from some potential cap woes in 2 years.
- Bennett is a risk. He's currently matching up with 3rdC archetype on HERO charts, and that's more or less how I see him regardless. Can he thrive on a wing season on a higher line? Can he maybe even compete for and steal the C position? No clue

- Draisaitl trade was offered by someone else. I take it.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$9,000,000
3$2,700,000
Trades
MTL
    RFA Rights to Leon Draisaitl (trade proposed by username "Max")
    EDM
    1. Galchenyuk, Alex
    2. Gallagher, Brendan
    3. 2018 2nd round pick (CHI)
    MTL
    1. Gaudreau, Johnny
    Additional Details:
    RFA Rights to Sam Bennett
    CGY
    1. Pacioretty, Max
    2. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the TBL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the MTL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$75,000,000$69,162,976$0$300,000$5,837,024
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    LW
    UFA - 5
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 8
    $839,166$839,166
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 6
    $912,500$912,500
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,700,000$2,700,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $1,166,667$1,166,667
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 5
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $925,000$925,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $7,857,143$7,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 9
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $4,625,000$4,625,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $1,062,500$1,062,500
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,425,000$1,425,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000 (Performance Bonus$300,000$300K)
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 2:57 a.m.
    Oilers say yes
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 3:22 a.m.
    That "Max" guy who proposed the Edmonton deal sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about
    Dylan1995 and We_Want_The_Cup liked this.
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 3:47 a.m.
    Quoting: Max
    That "Max" guy who proposed the Edmonton deal sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about

I'm glad you're apart of the blue and copper max !
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 4:11 a.m.
    I think its an over payment for leon, dont get me wrong the guys is really good and is a 1c on any team that asnt a guy like mcdavid or crosby.
    But galchenyuk is actually a really good winger, he is still young but clearly as elit skills (as a winger) and gallagher well a girthy rw that plays a really good 200ft game on a super friendly deal isnt easy to come by.
    I do realise you have to give talent to get talent back, but i dont think that montreal is a better team with that trade the center becomes way better but the wings take a beating.

As for the calgary deal i havent seen enough of bennet to aay really but those two guys better be able to snipe otherwise without pacio and galchenyuk montreal will have pletty of talent and puckhandling skills upfront but nobady to shot said puck.

Anyways intresting ideas!
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 4:20 a.m.
    Quoting: ELEATE
    I think its an over payment for leon, dont get me wrong the guys is really good and is a 1c on any team that asnt a guy like mcdavid or crosby.
    But galchenyuk is actually a really good winger, he is still young but clearly as elit skills (as a winger) and gallagher well a girthy rw that plays a really good 200ft game on a super friendly deal isnt easy to come by.
    I do realise you have to give talent to get talent back, but i dont think that montreal is a better team with that trade the center becomes way better but the wings take a beating.

As for the calgary deal i havent seen enough of bennet to aay really but those two guys better be able to snipe otherwise without pacio and galchenyuk montreal will have pletty of talent and puckhandling skills upfront but nobady to shot said puck.

Trust me it may look like an over payment but Leon is worth it. He's the centre Montreal has tried to draft and develop for years. He's big, strong, and very skilled. A soon to be elite centre. It's just as hard for us to trade him as it is to lose galchenyuk and gallahger. McDavid and Drai down the centre is a dream come true but if it means getting two core players. It's worth it. Leon will carry Montreal to great heights. If this trade were to actually happen this would be good for both teams
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 8:57 a.m.
    I like the idea of the Calgary trade because pacioretty is obviously the more complete winger but Gaudreau is 4 years younger and is still a 30 goal scorer if he doesn't injure his hand half way through the season and is a better playmaker in my opinion than pacioretty. For Bennett I don't think the flames are gonna trade him even though he had quite a disappointing season, unless a team really prys him out of Calgary. Bennett is just to young and has to much raw skill to be givin up on right now.
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 10:58 a.m.
    Vincent Lapointe
    DLR out, Byron on the 4th and Hudon on the 3RD LW and we are good
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 12:44 p.m.
    GM Game v1 v2
    Quoting: Max

Yeah, I'm sure you'll really like the guy. Seems to know what he's talking about. You two would get along!

Possibly an overpayment for Leon, but we have to move forward one way or another, and it won't be by standing pat. On your point, I'd like to add that Galchenyuk is not only a skilled winger, but he played his best hockey as a center until he got injured and replaced by Danault. Our team is heavily defense oriented, so they rather trust dependable Danault (who is good in his own right, but not even close to Galchy's offensive skill) than a defensively struggling Galchenyuk. Since they won't trust him at C, there's no point in keeping him. Move him and Gallagher for the 1C we have been wanting since Saku Koivu of the mid 2000's.

As for the Calgary trade, a recent stats model demonstrated how 3 playmaking forwards on a line produces the most offense, despite common belief (given that they can also shoot the puck when need be). The safer route would also be two playmaking forwards and a scorer. That's exactly what I'm offering here in my top-6 combinations.

Quoting: MonyMony
    I like the idea of the Calgary trade because pacioretty is obviously the more complete winger but Gaudreau is 4 years younger and is still a 30 goal scorer if he doesn't injure his hand half way through the season and is a better playmaker in my opinion than pacioretty. For Bennett I don't think the flames are gonna trade him even though he had quite a disappointing season, unless a team really prys him out of Calgary. Bennett is just to young and has to much raw skill to be givin up on right now.

I think Pacioretty for Gaudreau one-for-one would be a steal for Calgary, making them instantly a win-now team. That's why I matched Bennett and a late 1st rounder. Alternatively, I might have prefered Pacioretty for Gaudreau and a 1st (if that trade passes), but the Flames are absolutely bare in picks... If anything, they should welcome a 1st round pick finally going their way, especially for a struggling player. Though I can still understand the concept of retaining a young player who has much to prove.

Quoting: VincentLapointe
    DLR out, Byron on the 4th and Hudon on the 3RD LW and we are good

I'm cool with that. I consistently place Hudon on the 3rd line on my teams. I just wanted to balance out the offensive freakshow in the top-6 with a defensive powerhouse (with some scoring ability) in the bottom-6.
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 5:58 p.m.
    Quoting: Dylan1995

Trust me it may look like an over payment but Leon is worth it. He's the centre Montreal has tried to draft and develop for years. He's big, strong, and very skilled. A soon to be elite centre. It's just as hard for us to trade him as it is to lose galchenyuk and gallahger. McDavid and Drai down the centre is a dream come true but if it means getting two core players. It's worth it. Leon will carry Montreal to great heights. If this trade were to actually happen this would be good for both teams

The thing that impresses me most about LD is his work ethic. Never a lazy shift. The guy is a leader first and a talent second ... which given he had almost 80 points at 21 years old means he's a pretty good leader. Wouldn't miss Max in that case. That said, if I had LD, I'd probably keep Max and the first and see what happens. You could get Bennett for less than Pacioretty.
    Aug. 8, 2017 at 9:57 p.m.
    GM Game v1 v2
    Quoting: Truebeliever
    The thing that impresses me most about LD is his work ethic. Never a lazy shift. The guy is a leader first and a talent second ... which given he had almost 80 points at 21 years old means he's a pretty good leader. Wouldn't miss Max in that case. That said, if I had LD, I'd probably keep Max and the first and see what happens. You could get Bennett for less than Pacioretty.

That's possibly true, although the main intention of the Pacioretty trade is to pursue Gaudreau, and to a much lesser extent, Bennett. The point was to change the DNA of this team by adding a lot of youth, and also avoid the pay raise in two years, where Pacioretty can ask anywhere between 8-10m, and we would NOT be able to afford him with these big contracts. Gaudreau is cheaper, and Bennett can be another Gallagher for us at a cheaper (or at worst, similar) cap hit.

I do understand the interest in keeping Pacioretty for a fierce season though. I'm just more of a forward thinker than anything else.

P.S. Please double check your post when using the quoting feature, it's quite confusing when wrong.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll