SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Trading with canadians teams (Leafs, Jets, Flames and Oilers) and Canes thinking

Created by: Willian_Cardoso
Team: 2017-18 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Dec. 19, 2017
Published: Dec. 19, 2017
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Let's face it Islanders fans. Your team could have a chance to go to the playoffs this season, but we all know you have no chance to win now. So, that's why I think Islanders should have to thing about build a team to have a real chance to win during next 3 or 4 years.

Before you're criticizing Tavares trade, everybody knows that he wants to play for the Leafs and win a cup now. So, it's better trade him this season and acquire some really good valuable players in return than lose him for nothing in FA.

PS.: Obviously it's almost impossible to make all these trades. But the idea here is to show all the trades that I'd try to do, if I were Islanders GM. If Islanders make at least half of these trades (the ones for Pickard, Nylander and TvR), I think they would be in a very good position to have a real chance to win a cup in the next few years.
Trades
TOR
  1. 2018 1st round pick (CGY)
  2. 2018 4th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Bozak, Tyler
  2. Gardiner, Jake
  3. Nylander, William
  4. 2018 1st round pick (TOR)
  5. 2018 4th round pick (TOR)
  6. 2019 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. De Haan, Calvin ($1,650,000 retained)
  2. Tavares, John
  3. 2018 2nd round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Tavares re-signs for a 8y/12M contract.
NYI
  1. 2018 1st round pick (EDM)
EDM
NYI
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (WPG)
  2. 2019 5th round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Bozak, Tyler
Additional Details:
TD
NYI
  1. van Riemsdyk, Trevor
  2. 2018 1st round pick (CAR)
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Bailey, Josh
  2. Mayfield, Scott
  3. 2018 5th round pick (NYI)
Additional Details:
TD

Bailey re-signs 5y/6000000
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$75,000,000$60,610,833$0$1,962,500$14,389,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$4,187,500$4,187,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 5
$612,500$612,500
C
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 2
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 3
$612,500$612,500
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Dec. 19, 2017 at 11:54 p.m.
Islanders Fan
These values are not even CLOSE. If you think Calvin Pickard is worth a 1st + I have a bridge to sell you. It's amazing how cheap Toronto got him from Vegas... this is such a head scratcher I don't know where to begin
turfytckid liked this.
Dec. 20, 2017 at 12:01 a.m.
Jesus.......... . These don't even make sense. Like some are bad for the Isles, some are bad for the other teams. Its one thing to be bias for your team but this is just throwing names into a hat and picking them at random.
joshelkin liked this.
Dec. 20, 2017 at 4:23 a.m.
It takes a special kind of person to tell Isles fans that they don’t know what’s good for their team, then put Kulemin on the 2nd line of that team.
joshelkin liked this.
Dec. 20, 2017 at 5:28 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: joshelkin
These values are not even CLOSE. If you think Calvin Pickard is worth a 1st + I have a bridge to sell you. It's amazing how cheap Toronto got him from Vegas... this is such a head scratcher I don't know where to begin

Pickard has just 25 and he had just one bad season, because he played for a terrible team, defensively. Before that, he's having a very good career as Varlamov's backup, showing a very good potential. He's one of the best AHL goalies and if some team give him time to grow up as a starter, I really think he can have the same success of goalies like Talbot and Darling.

He's playing in NHL not because he's worse than Mc, but because he need to play to keep improving and to Leafs use him as a good trade chip.
Dec. 20, 2017 at 5:32 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: F50marco
Jesus.......... . These don't even make sense. Like some are bad for the Isles, some are bad for the other teams. Its one thing to be bias for your team but this is just throwing names into a hat and picking them at random.

I disagree. However, you could explain why you think the trades are so terrible. I cannot defend my positions without knowing your arguments.

But thank you for your comment, anyway.
Dec. 20, 2017 at 5:32 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: Hawkisles
It takes a special kind of person to tell Isles fans that they don’t know what’s good for their team, then put Kulemin on the 2nd line of that team.

Just for the record, I'm Pens fan. Thank you, anyway.
Dec. 21, 2017 at 10:43 a.m.
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
I disagree. However, you could explain why you think the trades are so terrible. I cannot defend my positions without knowing your arguments.

But thank you for your comment, anyway.

Fair enough. happy

- Calvin Pickard was traded for Lindberg and a 6th this year. In what way shape or form did his value rocket up to a 1st and a 4th? Fine, you like the kid and want him. ....pay accordingly then. This is overkill. Not too mention that the CGY pick is not a lock to NOT be a lottery pick. So that pick has a decent shot at moving up in the draft if it does become a lottery pick. Look at Philly last year, moved up from 13th to 2nd! That is a huge risk. Some GMs have lost their jobs over bad risks like this.

- Aside from JT all but surely resigning with the Isles now that an arena is finally going to happen, (although I won't use that as my basis because its only speculation) If the Isles are trading JT that means that they are not resigning JT and if they are not resigning JT then JT is going to free agency. Meaning he could be had without giving up a ridiculous payout now. JT is either staying in NY or going to free agency. As for the Leafs, he's from the Toronto area. The Leafs are poised cup contenders. Good coach and management. They'd be high up on his list of teams to sign with so why blow your guts out now? That is waste!

- Halak and Seidenberg for a 1st???????? Once again throwing 1sts to the wind...Halak and Seidenberg are both UFA's and not even prized pick ups for TDL. Its not like they are having amazing years that would make someone want to overpay. THEN you have the audacity to ask for EDM's 1st? Did you not see where EDM is sitting in the standings right now? Just in case you didn't know, the lower you are in the standings, the better your chance at a top end draft pick will be. That pick might be Rasmus Dahlin. Can you imagine Halak and Seidenberg for what ends up being Dahlin. Im not even joking, there would be death threats sent to you in the mail every day until you were fired if you made that deal. (Chiarelli I mean). Teams that trade away 1sts are usually playoff locked teams. TB, STL, LAK, etc These teams would be more realistic moving their 1st this year.

- Bozak deal is more than fair. This one you got pretty much on the button. T.O. probably could get slightly more too.

- Hickey is playing bottom pairing minutes this year and really doesn't have a chance of cracking CGY's top 4. So why are they trading one of their better prospects and another bottom pairing dman for Hickey again? Does this trade make CGY get closer to the playoffs any more? I really don't see it. And even if it did, it surely wouldn't cost what they are giving up.

- Why would the Isles trade Bailey? Now of all times? What kind of signal does that send to JT? The fact that the return barely helps Isles this year. TVR is ok but is not going to be a catalyst or anything. The 1st rounder won't impact the team in the immediate future. Isles do this if they are not going to make the playoffs or they know JT won't resign. I get that these trades would only happen chronologically and with JT gone but I don't think the JT deal would happen so in my mind he would still be on the team at that point.

I get your logic behind taking advantage now to hopefully build a good team for the next 3-4 years but you are not doing that in a realistic way. You have set unrealistic values on certain players and have convinced only yourself that this is a good idea. Some guys are ridiculously over priced while others are under priced. You can do what you are intending but it needs to be tweaked heavily for it to be taken seriously.

I commend you for responding graciously to everyone's comments but they were outlandish for a reason. This is very very bad/unrealistic. If the intent was to be realistic, it failed miserably. But hey, who gives a sh*t! Try, try and try again! No one here is a real GM but that still doesn't mean we're not right.
Dec. 21, 2017 at 11:09 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Fair enough. happy

- Calvin Pickard was traded for Lindberg and a 6th this year. In what way shape or form did his value rocket up to a 1st and a 4th? Fine, you like the kid and want him. ....pay accordingly then. This is overkill. Not too mention that the CGY pick is not a lock to NOT be a lottery pick. So that pick has a decent shot at moving up in the draft if it does become a lottery pick. Look at Philly last year, moved up from 13th to 2nd! That is a huge risk. Some GMs have lost their jobs over bad risks like this.

- Aside from JT all but surely resigning with the Isles now that an arena is finally going to happen, (although I won't use that as my basis because its only speculation) If the Isles are trading JT that means that they are not resigning JT and if they are not resigning JT then JT is going to free agency. Meaning he could be had without giving up a ridiculous payout now. JT is either staying in NY or going to free agency. As for the Leafs, he's from the Toronto area. The Leafs are poised cup contenders. Good coach and management. They'd be high up on his list of teams to sign with so why blow your guts out now? That is waste!

- Halak and Seidenberg for a 1st???????? Once again throwing 1sts to the wind...Halak and Seidenberg are both UFA's and not even prized pick ups for TDL. Its not like they are having amazing years that would make someone want to overpay. THEN you have the audacity to ask for EDM's 1st? Did you not see where EDM is sitting in the standings right now? Just in case you didn't know, the lower you are in the standings, the better your chance at a top end draft pick will be. That pick might be Rasmus Dahlin. Can you imagine Halak and Seidenberg for what ends up being Dahlin. Im not even joking, there would be death threats sent to you in the mail every day until you were fired if you made that deal. (Chiarelli I mean). Teams that trade away 1sts are usually playoff locked teams. TB, STL, LAK, etc These teams would be more realistic moving their 1st this year.

- Bozak deal is more than fair. This one you got pretty much on the button. T.O. probably could get slightly more too.

- Hickey is playing bottom pairing minutes this year and really doesn't have a chance of cracking CGY's top 4. So why are they trading one of their better prospects and another bottom pairing dman for Hickey again? Does this trade make CGY get closer to the playoffs any more? I really don't see it. And even if it did, it surely wouldn't cost what they are giving up.

- Why would the Isles trade Bailey? Now of all times? What kind of signal does that send to JT? The fact that the return barely helps Isles this year. TVR is ok but is not going to be a catalyst or anything. The 1st rounder won't impact the team in the immediate future. Isles do this if they are not going to make the playoffs or they know JT won't resign. I get that these trades would only happen chronologically and with JT gone but I don't think the JT deal would happen so in my mind he would still be on the team at that point.

I get your logic behind taking advantage now to hopefully build a good team for the next 3-4 years but you are not doing that in a realistic way. You have set unrealistic values on certain players and have convinced only yourself that this is a good idea. Some guys are ridiculously over priced while others are under priced. You can do what you are intending but it needs to be tweaked heavily for it to be taken seriously.

I commend you for responding graciously to everyone's comments but they were outlandish for a reason. This is very very bad/unrealistic. If the intent was to be realistic, it failed miserably. But hey, who gives a sh*t! Try, try and try again! No one here is a real GM but that still doesn't mean we're not right.

Well explained. Thank you.

Pickard: maybe I overpay for him. A 2nd or 3rd plus 4th would be enough for him. You're right.

As for Tavares, the trade would be just a guarantee that Leafs won't lose him in FA. But thinking better about that, I don't see Tavares chosing to sign with any team but Leafs in FA. To me, he won't re-sign with Islanders. If I were him, I'd wait till FA to sign with Leafs for the reasons that I said.

Bailey: maybe Islanders should re-sign him to be part of a little rebuild. Unless they find a replacer for him in FA. I don't see the options yet.

Halak and Seidenberg for a 1st was insane, indeed. Specially now, when Oilers are distant of a playoffs spot. And both don't worth that much, indeed.

That's not my best armchair, indeed. Not even close. Despite not be a real GM, I can make better armchairs than this one. I already did many ones.

But thank you for your feedback, anyway.
Dec. 21, 2017 at 11:30 a.m.
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
Well explained. Thank you.

Pickard: maybe I overpay for him. A 2nd or 3rd plus 4th would be enough for him. You're right.

As for Tavares, the trade would be just a guarantee that Leafs won't lose him in FA. But thinking better about that, I don't see Tavares chosing to sign with any team but Leafs in FA. To me, he won't re-sign with Islanders. If I were him, I'd wait till FA to sign with Leafs for the reasons that I said.

Bailey: maybe Islanders should re-sign him to be part of a little rebuild. Unless they find a replacer for him in FA. I don't see the options yet.

Halak and Seidenberg for a 1st was insane, indeed. Specially now, when Oilers are distant of a playoffs spot. And both don't worth that much, indeed.

That's not my best armchair, indeed. Not even close. Despite not be a real GM, I can make better armchairs than this one. I already did many ones.

But thank you for your feedback, anyway.

5 stars for "getting it" applaud
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Dec. 21, 2017 at 12:44 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
5 stars for "getting it" applaud

laugh Thank you. cheers

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll