Forums/Armchair-GM

How to Fix This if Tavares Wants to Explore FA Before Deadline

Created by: AlexG35
Team: 2017-18 New York Islanders
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 14, 2018
Published: Feb. 14, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
At this point I think it's 50/50 Tavares resigns and I cant imagine he hasn't made up his mind yet. If he outright tells Garth he wants to explore free agency here's what I propose. And if Tavares wants out the Isles clearly become sellers at the deadline.

1) Send Tavares off to Tampa for the package below. Tampa is one of the clear cut contenders, and they currently have a little under $2M worth of cap space to work with. With Tavares at $5.5M a trade can be done with Tampa paying top price for the best rental forward by far hitting the market.

2) Send off Bailey too, I hated him for the first 8 years he was an Islander, but really started to come around to him these past 2 years. However, I do think he's a product of Tavares and the Isles would be better off sending him out at the deadline while his value's sky high.

3) Rid ourselves of Clutterbuck's contract. I love the guy, think he has the most underrated shot in the league but he just makes too much money to play on the 4th line. Would have to pay a team to take him but would be worth it in the long run.

4) Toss Hickey out for a late round pick, cant see the Isles resigning him after the year.

5) Add a shutdown defenseman, Tanev is my favorite target in this regard. To add on to the roster, I absolutely hate Quine, I expect him to be let go after the year but he's just there as a place holder until next year assuming the Isles end up signing a vet guy.

6) This is just what I'd do at the deadline. As far as the draft and free agency go here's what I would love the team to look like next year.
As of right now the Isles are slated to have the 11th pick before the lottery, I can only assume theyd stay around the same maybe drop or jump a spot or 2 so heres who they should look to draft. And assuming Tampa does win the cup here's my 1st 2 picks.
11th: Rasmus Kupari
31st: Vitali Kravstov / Dominik Bokk / Isac Lundestrom (Bokk and Lundestrom are all over draft boards, if they fall this low it'd be dumb for the Isles not to take either one of them)

As far as free agency, I really have a feeling the Isles are going to pursue Kovalchuk. He wants to play in New York and I would assume he probably views the Isles as a better contender than the Rangers at the moment since they're going into a full rebuild whereas the Isles are looking to expedite this whole process.

So my 2018-2019 Isles look like this
Lee - Barzal - Eberle
Bellows - Johnson - Kovalchuk
Beau - Cizikas - Ho Sang
Ladd - Signing - Signing

Leddy - Boychuk
Aho - Pulock
Toews - Tanev
Pelech - Mayfield (Would hope the Isles explore trading one of, if not, both of these guys)

Soderstrom
Greiss
Trades
NYI
  1. Johnson, Tyler
  2. Raddysh, Taylor
  3. 2018 1st round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
2019 Conditional 3rd round pick, becomes a 2nd if Tavares resigns
TBL
  1. Tavares, John
Additional Details:
This is the asking price for a players like Evander Kane and Rick Nash, so I can't see how this wouldn't get a deal done.
NYI
  1. 2018 4th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Anaheim in a place holder, Any team that needs a depth defenseman for a playoff run can fit here
NYI
  1. Richardson, Brad
Additional Details:
Let Richardson walk at years end.
ARI
  1. Clutterbuck, Cal
  2. Wotherspoon, Parker
  3. 2018 1st round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
I love Clutterbuck but the contract is reallllllly bad. Arizona is still clearly a few years out of contention with at least $30 million in cap space after this season. Trade is similar to the Isles expansion trade with Vegas, but with a more prized prospect as there is longer term.
VAN
  1. Dal Colle, Michael
  2. Nelson, Brock
  3. 2018 1st round pick (TBL)
  4. 2018 3rd round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (STL)
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (STL)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the NYI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$75,000,000$56,008,332$0$1,507,500$18,991,668
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
C, RW
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
UFA - 2
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,350,000$3,350,000
C
UFA - 4
$2,083,333$2,083,333
C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LW
UFA - 1
$612,500$612,500
C
UFA - 1
$1,125,000$1,125,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
UFA - 1
$770,000$770,000 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 1
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,450,000$4,450,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$625,000$625,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$3,300,000$3,300,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,187,500$4,187,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:06 p.m.
There's quite a bit off on here IMO.

Im not sure TB would risk losing all that just to watch JT leave. They can win a cup without him. Try someone else.

If that is the price to move Clutterbuck, Isles are better off buying him out. its not like NYI need the cash anyway right, JT is gone.

You are way overpaying Tanev. I know everyone looks at the Hall vs Larsson trade as example but that is like looking at the Weber Vs Subban trade and using that as an example. they were both 1 off's. not happenning like that again.

Bailey is having a career year. Hanzal was traded for a 1st and a couple extra pieces. Bailey could land at the very least a 1st and a prospect.
ekpaul87 liked this.
Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:08 p.m.
I think you have mostly good ideas here, but there shouldn't be any possible way that you don't get back one of St. Louis' high end prospects (Kyrou/Thomas/Kostin/Thompson) and probably a 1st for Josh Bailey. The guy is a top 15 scorer in the entire league this year.

I also think if you're going to pay a 1st rounder for someone to go away, you should add Andrew Ladd into that deal too. A 1st is way too much to pay to make Clutterbuck go away, especially right now when you have a ton of cap space. I would personally use TB's 1st in that move, instead of Calgary's.
Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:36 p.m.
Alex
Quoting: F50marco

Im not sure TB would risk losing all that just to watch JT leave. They can win a cup without him. Try someone else.

If that is the price to move Clutterbuck, Isles are better off buying him out. its not like NYI need the cash anyway right, JT is gone.

You are way overpaying Tanev. I know everyone looks at the Hall vs Larsson trade as example but that is like looking at the Weber Vs Subban trade and using that as an example. they were both 1 off's. not happenning like that again.

Bailey is having a career year. Hanzal was traded for a 1st and a couple extra pieces. Bailey could land at the very least a 1st and a prospect.

Yeah I'm aware that Tampa could win a cup without him, I've also seen that Tavares to Tampa long term could definitely be a possibility. And with that they'd have to shed contracts regardless so I figured they'd pony up, shed the contract, go for the cup now and years ahead.

I also know it's a tall price to play for Clutterbuck. I'm also banking on the Islanders to not go into full rebuild mode where cap space isnt an issue. I would expect it to be an expedited rebuild where cap space is very valuable along with all of their youngsters coming out of their entry level deals.

Tanev's price has been so up and down on this website I have no idea what he's worth. I paid on the higher end so I wouldnt get a ton of hate for it, so that can definitely be restructured.

My original trade for Bailey was Thompson and a 2nd, just didnt know how people would react given how bad Bailey was for 80% of his career so I lowered the price a little.
Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:37 p.m.
Alex
Quoting: ekpaul87
I think you have mostly good ideas here, but there shouldn't be any possible way that you don't get back one of St. Louis' high end prospects (Kyrou/Thomas/Kostin/Thompson) and probably a 1st for Josh Bailey. The guy is a top 15 scorer in the entire league this year.

I also think if you're going to pay a 1st rounder for someone to go away, you should add Andrew Ladd into that deal too. A 1st is way too much to pay to make Clutterbuck go away, especially right now when you have a ton of cap space. I would personally use TB's 1st in that move, instead of Calgary's.

I'd love to shed that Ladd contract, but unfortunately I think it's going to coast way more than what I paid for Clutterbucks contract to disappear
Feb. 14, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
Quoting: AlexG35
I'd love to shed that Ladd contract, but unfortunately I think it's going to coast way more than what I paid for Clutterbucks contract to disappear

I can't see it being much more than what you suggested for Clutterbuck, especially considering that Ladd is still an effective player at this point. Tampa did this with Sam Gagner to Arizona a few years ago, and retained a bit of salary but didn't really pay anything to ship him out. I would think with Ladd being older and a bit more expensive, a mid to late 1st and Ladd would be a doable addition for Arizona.
Feb. 14, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
Lenny7
Quoting: F50marco

I think you make a great point about Tampa not risking it all to watch JT leave in the offseason. Also great points with re: the Hall and Weber trades. Those are probably points to remember with regards to a Bailey trade though. Minny had instant buyers remorse when it came to Hanzal, and every year we see fewer and fewer 1st rounders moved. Could happen, and he's having a great year, but the teams willing to pay that price are likely more interested in Kane/Patches/Nash. Who knows though.
Feb. 14, 2018 at 2:28 p.m.
All of this is solid to me. Maybe could of got more for Bailey (I saw your reply to someone as to why,) and tbh if the Islanders can do all this moves except for the JT move, then Kovalchuk could be interested in playing with JT and vice versa. Great job cheers
Feb. 14, 2018 at 2:30 p.m.
Quoting: Lenny7
I think you make a great point about Tampa not risking it all to watch JT leave in the offseason. Also great points with re: the Hall and Weber trades. Those are probably points to remember with regards to a Bailey trade though. Minny had instant buyers remorse when it came to Hanzal, and every year we see fewer and fewer 1st rounders moved. Could happen, and he's having a great year, but the teams willing to pay that price are likely more interested in Kane/Patches/Nash. Who knows though.

Agreed on the buyers remorse. Honestly, I've pointed out many times in the past couple years that TDL deals involving anything but depth players where lower picks are involved only, are seldom ever worth it. Marian Hossa may be the only time where a high profile name was added and had a crucial impact on the team winning the cup or at least making it to the SCF and coming close.

With the amount of parity there is now, even TB shouldn't be mortgaging high picks and prospects. They could easily run into a hot goalie and go out in the first round and then have major buyers remorse about what they gave up for JT who would probably not resign with them due to the cap anyway.

The best trades done at the deadline are the ones where you get those under the radar depth guys for 3rds and up that end up playing above their previous expectations. going all in on a TDL trade is a recipe for disaster IMO.
Lenny7 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll