Forums/Armchair-GM

Fair Karlsson Trade?

Created by: CaptJosef
Team: 2017-18 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 22, 2018
Published: Feb. 22, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
That's two bluechip prospects (and former first round picks) and two first round picks.

I don't think this deal world even hurt the Flyers down the road. In Patrick and Couturier we have our top two centres sorted for the next half decade at least and we have plenty of other centres (Laughton, Vorobyov, Vecchione, Rubstov, Marody, etc) to play in the bottom 6. Sanheim is 'replaced' by Karlsson and two first round picks, while steep is probably something the Flyers could live without for one season (and perhaps move Simmonds in the summer to replace a first rounder).

But I'm honestly not sure if I'd do it still. In Provorov and Ghost we have a highly effective first line that eats 24 and 21 mins a night respectively. Then you have to fit in Karlsson's 26. Plus Ghost plays on the first PP unit similar to Karlsson and would you really want to mess that up?
Ghost is massively outscoring Karlsson on the PP so Karlsson goes to the 2nd unit that barely sees the ice?

There's no doubting Karlsson's world class ability but it seems like it might be tough to fit in all those pieces effectively?
Trades
OTT
  1. Frost, Morgan
  2. Sanheim, Travis
  3. 2018 1st round pick (PHI)
  4. 2018 1st round pick (STL)
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
25$75,000,000$75,754,017$1,062,500$3,925,000-$754,017
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,137,500$4,137,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,975,000$3,975,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
C, RW
UFA - 3
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 7
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW
UFA - 3
$962,500$962,500
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,350,000$2,350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,700,000$4,700,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$806,558$806,558
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 2
$975,000$975,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 3
$874,125$874,125
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:11 a.m.
I really like this for Ottawa. I'd love to know what the sens would need to add to get Carter Hart... probably a pipe dream though
Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:11 a.m.
I gave you 4 stars for your thought process. I think Philly is overpaying for Karlson unless it was a sign and trade scenario and you had him locked in for the next 7-8 years. Possibly you are giving up quite a bit for a player with 1 year left on his contract and no assurances he's going to resign with the Flyers.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:17 a.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I really like this for Ottawa. I'd love to know what the sens would need to add to get Carter Hart... probably a pipe dream though

I'm not moving Hart! The Flyers have needed an bluechip goalie prospect for so long, I'm not giving him up now! Sticking Out Tongue His value to us symbolically probably outweighs his actual value as a player...
Feb. 22, 2018 at 4:20 a.m.
Quoting: gp440
I gave you 4 stars for your thought process. I think Philly is overpaying for Karlson unless it was a sign and trade scenario and you had him locked in for the next 7-8 years. Possibly you are giving up quite a bit for a player with 1 year left on his contract and no assurances he's going to resign with the Flyers.

Sure but someone's going to do that. Plus I think I'd be done with some insurance that Karlsson would be willing to re-sign. And if he was adamant he won't sign then we could always cash in at next deadline, obviously for less return but still for a significant package. Flyers are in the position that they can afford to pay him too.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 8:23 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Let's stop the talk about him resigning or not. It won't/can't happen. Now if do you still want to do the deal? The Leafs are somewhat in the same situation when trades like this are made. Is Karlsson going to make the difference in the this spring and next seasonTHAT much? But I kinda like the deal for both teams. Ottawa might something a little more NHL ready than the picks. Maybe Rubstov and Frost, Sainheim and a first.

If I'm the Flyers, I wouldn't be worried about the resigning, can the Karlson get you to the Conference in the next two springs?
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 9:40 a.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: palhal
Let's stop the talk about him resigning or not. It won't/can't happen. Now if do you still want to do the deal? The Leafs are somewhat in the same situation when trades like this are made. Is Karlsson going to make the difference in the this spring and next seasonTHAT much? But I kinda like the deal for both teams. Ottawa might something a little more NHL ready than the picks. Maybe Rubstov and Frost, Sainheim and a first.

If I'm the Flyers, I wouldn't be worried about the resigning, can the Karlson get you to the Conference in the next two springs?

My direct answer to your question Palhal is "no". I'm a Pens fan. Ok. But I'm being impartial here. Flyers need more than Karlsson to at least win the division. They need one real starter goalie. In my opinion, neither Elliott or Neuvirth are good enough to let them have a chance to beat teams like Pens, Caps, Bolts or even Bruins and Leafs in a playoff matchup.

If Flyers want to be considered as a contender again, they need to find a starter first. The next step would be find a top 4 d-man. Then, I'd consider them a contender for not just win the division, but to win the cup.

Of course as a Pens fan I won't to see that happen. Sorry Flyers fans. But I know it's reciprocal.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 10:10 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso
My direct answer to your question Palhal is "no". I'm a Pens fan. Ok. But I'm being impartial here. Flyers need more than Karlsson to at least win the division. They need one real starter goalie. In my opinion, neither Elliott or Neuvirth are good enough to let them have a chance to beat teams like Pens, Caps, Bolts or even Bruins and Leafs in a playoff matchup.

If Flyers want to be considered as a contender again, they need to find a starter first. The next step would be find a top 4 d-man. Then, I'd consider them a contender for not just win the division, but to win the cup.

Of course as a Pens fan I won't to see that happen. Sorry Flyers fans. But I know it's reciprocal.

Thanks William. That is what I'm thinking too. There are few teams that Karlsson that will really make difference in the next two springs. And especially with his play this year (yea it might be his ankle), I don't think he is worth stripping a team at all.
Willian_Cardoso liked this.
Feb. 22, 2018 at 10:21 a.m.
Quoting: Willian_Cardoso

We do need a starting goalie but Elliott is fine for now and lets see how Mrazek plays out. He's probably got more raw talent than the others on our roster. But every Flyers fan knows our goalie situation is just a placeholder for Carter Hart. The things he's done in juniors are incredible. He'll likely not make the NHL straight out of WHL next season but he'll be given the majority of starts in the AHL then, if he plays anything like he should he'll be pushing for an NHL spot after next season. Conveniently when Elliott and Neuvirth are UFA's...

As for the defence it's a similar story. Provorov and Ghost are a good, if not great, top pair. After that it's a bit of a mess and Sanheim should be in the team right now not in the AHL (he's currently scoring points at a pace not seen in that league for a player his age since the 1980's).. But we have Myers and Morin down there developing too and while I'm not so high on Morin, Myers is a top 4 guy in the making. I'll struggle through with Provorov, Ghost, and Karlesson for a season or two with Hagg, MacDonald, or Gudas in the top 4 were that the case.

Adding Karlsson overnight won't necessarily win us the conference this season or perhaps next but buy the time next seasons playoffs come about I think the Flyers will be a pretty strong team in the playoffs and then it's just rolling the dice.

Also boo Pens! Sticking Out Tongue
Feb. 22, 2018 at 2:58 p.m.
Let's go Pens!
Quoting: CaptJosef
We do need a starting goalie but Elliott is fine for now and lets see how Mrazek plays out. He's probably got more raw talent than the others on our roster. But every Flyers fan knows our goalie situation is just a placeholder for Carter Hart. The things he's done in juniors are incredible. He'll likely not make the NHL straight out of WHL next season but he'll be given the majority of starts in the AHL then, if he plays anything like he should he'll be pushing for an NHL spot after next season. Conveniently when Elliott and Neuvirth are UFA's...

As for the defence it's a similar story. Provorov and Ghost are a good, if not great, top pair. After that it's a bit of a mess and Sanheim should be in the team right now not in the AHL (he's currently scoring points at a pace not seen in that league for a player his age since the 1980's).. But we have Myers and Morin down there developing too and while I'm not so high on Morin, Myers is a top 4 guy in the making. I'll struggle through with Provorov, Ghost, and Karlesson for a season or two with Hagg, MacDonald, or Gudas in the top 4 were that the case.

Adding Karlsson overnight won't necessarily win us the conference this season or perhaps next but buy the time next seasons playoffs come about I think the Flyers will be a pretty strong team in the playoffs and then it's just rolling the dice.

Also boo Pens! Sticking Out Tongue

Yeah, I know Flyers have very good prospects. But we all know that it's quite different to make success in the NHL. There're tons of examples, including in Pens. Speaking about a recent case, I can say Pouliot. Before he plays in NHL, almost everyone thought he will be a great NHL calliber offensive d-man. At least a top 4. Now, we all know that he's probably just a top 6 in a mediocre team. Ok, he's still young. But I don't think his upside is at least close than the most of us thought.

So, let's see what's gonna happen with all your prospects next seasons...

PS: Thank you for your support. cheers

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll