SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Who would you rather have on your team

Who would you rather
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:19 p.m.
Quoting: HawksFan28
Because Toews is the captain of the Blackhawks for a reason, he was made the captain before they won their first Cup - he's the face of the franchise... I don't know what you don't understand about that...

Guys you're bringing up are role players - Toews is the complete package and I cant even believe you're asking that question....

You ever hear of the old saying "lead by example?" yea well Toews leads by example and when he's determined he's better than Crosby...

Seriously, Toews makes what he does because of what he done!

When you captain your team to 3 Cups and 5 Conference finals in 8 years you're going to be rewarded for that.... I mean I get the feeling you believe players should be paid by the point and everything they do outside of scoring points should be completely disregarded, lol...

C'mon.

Ryan Ellis and Jacob Trouba are not "role players" lol
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:21 p.m.
I mean I get the feeling you believe players should be paid by the point and everything they do outside of scoring points should be completely disregarded, lol...

Quoting: phillyjabroni
Your contention is that the leadership that Toews brings is so intangilbe that it is worth over 3M. Why can't you have a leader like PE Bellemare? Or Matt Cullen while still adding the players I mentioned in my post?
Daryl and phillyjabroni liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:23 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Daryl
Well look where his contract has got you guys now. At the bottom of the league tanking for Dahlin.

Right, the Hawks aren't contenders for the Cup for the first time in a decade and now the sky is falling...

Here is a thought, Bowman was stuck picking through the bargain bin for role players this summer and was stuck playing a bunch of rookies - 17 to be exact... But it wasn't Toews fault - this team has several high dollar contracts, why? because players WANT TO BE REWARDED FOR THEIR SUCCESS, that's how it works you know?

If It matters the Hawks will have a MUCH better team this fall considering Bowman will finally have some cap space to work with and will be able to sign 3-4 veteran role players and that will significantly improve the team...

The Hawks are nowhere close to contending....

Besides, if they were done contending at least I can say I saw the Hawks win 3 Cups and had and got close to winning 2 more (maybe 3 had they won game 7 vs Vancouver in 2011).....

Sorry but ANY GM would do everything the Hawks have done over the last decade if the same outcomes were guaranteed..

IMO, you would have a point if were were talking about "if's" here but we're not - the Hawks delivered 3 championships and it's kinda hard to come up with a justifiable argument against that..
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:24 p.m.
The argument isn't "does Jonathan Toews suck at hockey". We all know he's an amazing center. We all know he was even better during those years that Chicago won the Cup. But, as of right now, in the day and age of the salary cap, I would have to go with ROR, who provides more production and around the same leadership.
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:25 p.m.
get ur corsi up
Right, the Hawks aren't contenders for the Cup for the first time in a decade and now the sky is falling...

Here is a thought, Bowman was stuck picking through the bargain bin for role players this summer and was stuck playing a bunch of rookies - 17 to be exact... But it wasn't Toews fault - this team has several high dollar contracts, why? because players WANT TO BE REWARDED FOR THEIR SUCCESS, that's how it works you know?

If It matters the Hawks will have a MUCH better team this fall considering Bowman will finally have some cap space to work with and will be able to sign 3-4 veteran role players and that will significantly improve the team...

The Hawks are nowhere close to contending....

Besides, if they were done contending at least I can say I saw the Hawks win 3 Cups and had and got close to winning 2 more (maybe 3 had they won game 7 vs Vancouver in 2011).....

Sorry but ANY GM would do everything the Hawks have done over the last decade if the same outcomes were guaranteed..

IMO, you would have a point if were were talking about "if's" here but we're not - the Hawks delivered 3 championships and it's kinda hard to come up with a justifiable argument against that..

See if you guys had ROR maybe you wouldn't have to play so many rookies, and you'd be a good team.Sticking Out Tongue
nobody and LicMysak liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:27 p.m.
HawksFan28
Dude nobody is saying Toews isn't worth what he makes, he has earned that money for sure. We're saying ROR is more team friendly because he's cheaper and not all that much less good.

And I don't believe ROR can do what Toews does.... If ROR could do what Toews does then Buffalo would be contending right now..

Buffalo has the talent to be a contender - if not at this very moment they will next season after drafting another franchise player..... Buffalo may not have the depth the Hawks have had in the past but they certainly have their franchise players and they're very close....
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:29 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: DavidBooth7
The argument isn't "does Jonathan Toews suck at hockey". We all know he's an amazing center. We all know he was even better during those years that Chicago won the Cup. But, as of right now, in the day and age of the salary cap, I would have to go with ROR, who provides more production and around the same leadership.

If ROR is such a great leader then why in the hell is Buffalo bottom feeding AGAIN?

Oh right, we're supposed to overlook that right?

Buffalo has a lot of talent so "lack of talent" isnt an excuse...
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:30 p.m.
And I don't believe ROR can do what Toews does.... If ROR could do what Toews does then Buffalo would be contending right now..

Buffalo has the talent to be a contender - if not at this very moment they will next season after drafting another franchise player..... Buffalo may not have the depth the Hawks have had in the past but they certainly have their franchise players and they're very close....

Lmao the Flyers have a better roster and might not make the playoffs. Your saying that if Toews was on Buffalo they would be not only better than the Flyers, but would contend with Pittsburgh and Washington?
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:31 p.m.
And I don't believe ROR can do what Toews does then Buffalo would be contending right now.

I'm confused. So you're saying despite having..Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Duncan Kieth, Brent Seabrook, Marian Hossa, and a whole load of other guys; you're saying the only reason Chicago won was because of Toews?

It's not O'Reilly's fault that the only other star on his team is Eichel, is it? How is he responsible for their major defence flaws and holes? I'm not sure how you can say ROR's apparent lack of play is the reason Buffalo isn't a contender. Nothing against you, it's just your statement doesn't add up
clark liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:32 p.m.
it's a ROR comparison with Toews. if the Sabres were to trade ROR, it would be to team that needs a good centre and the trade would be for futures.
Toews is something like Lundqvist. Neither are really worth their contracts now and in the future but it doesn't take away from what they have done for their team. still toews has his three Cups which meant something previously.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:32 p.m.
HawksFan28
See if you guys had ROR maybe you wouldn't have to play so many rookies, and you'd be a good team.Sticking Out Tongue

And the Hawks will have 18-20 million this summer to re-sign their RFA's and add some UFA's...

Yea, the Hawks took a step back for ONE SEASON and they get a top 10 or perhaps top 5 pick out of it in one of the deepest drafts in NHL history... Not only that but the Hawks young studs like DeBrincat and Schmaltz got a season to develop at the NHL level.

Sounds like a bargain to me..

The Hawks will be contending again next spring..... I have no issue with missing the playoffs.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:34 p.m.
get ur corsi up
If ROR is such a great leader then why in the hell is Buffalo bottom feeding AGAIN?

Oh right, we're supposed to overlook that right?

Buffalo has a lot of talent so "lack of talent" isnt an excuse...

So I guess if Toews played for Arizona they'd immediately win the cup?
nobody liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:35 p.m.
get ur corsi up
And the Hawks will have 18-20 million this summer to re-sign their RFA's and add some UFA's...

Yea, the Hawks took a step back for ONE SEASON and they get a top 10 or perhaps top 5 pick out of it in one of the deepest drafts in NHL history... Not only that but the Hawks young studs like DeBrincat and Schmaltz got a season to develop at the NHL level.

Sounds like a bargain to me..

The Hawks will be contending again next spring..... I have no issue with missing the playoffs.

Great! More bad contracts.
nobody and LicMysak liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:35 p.m.

Where did you get that math from lol? Even with an 82M cap they would have around 13M to spend.
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:36 p.m.

JIM BENNING PLEASE ENTER THE JONATHAN TOEWS SWEEPSTAKES AT ONCE

actually it wouldn't really matter, we would still suck laugh
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:37 p.m.
get ur corsi up
JIM BENNING PLEASE ENTER THE JONATHAN TOEWS SWEEPSTAKES AT ONCE

actually it wouldn't really matter, we would still suck laugh

Boeser +Petterson + Demko for Toews and Sharp?
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:37 p.m.
HawksFan28
I'm confused. So you're saying despite having..Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Duncan Kieth, Brent Seabrook, Marian Hossa, and a whole load of other guys; you're saying the only reason Chicago won was because of Toews?

It's not O'Reilly's fault that the only other star on his team is Eichel, is it? How is he responsible for their major defence flaws and holes? I'm not sure how you can say ROR's apparent lack of play is the reason Buffalo isn't a contender. Nothing against you, it's just your statement doesn't add up

No I'm not saying that...... Hockey is a team sport and every player has their role. What I'm saying is Toews is a significant part of the team - he's the captain, he's not riding the coattails of Kane, Hossa etc...

Besides, Buffalo has a lot of talent too in Eichel, Reinhart, Kane (I'm aware he was traded), Ristolainen, Okposo etc......... As a matter of fact there is absolutely ZERO reason why Buffalo was bottom feeding this season..... I mean Toews probably could have made that team at least a bubble team...I mean the 2009 Blackhawks had similar talent.....
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:40 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: phillyjabroni
Where did you get that math from lol? Even with an 82M cap they would have around 13M to spend.

At 82 the Hawks have 20 million, they will have 13 million to spend on UFA's after signing their RFA's..

Unless you believe that Hossa will handcuff Bowman - which he wont considering Bowman can spend 10% over the cap upper limit from July 1st to the end of training camp (when Hossa will be placed on LTIR).

So yea, Bowman will have plenty of cap space to address this teams issues.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:41 p.m.
No I'm not saying that...... Hockey is a team sport and every player has their role. What I'm saying is Toews is a significant part of the team - he's the captain, he's not riding the coattails of Kane, Hossa etc...

Besides, Buffalo has a lot of talent too in Eichel, Reinhart, Kane (I'm aware he was traded), Ristolainen, Okposo etc......... As a matter of fact there is absolutely ZERO reason why Buffalo was bottom feeding this season..... I mean Toews probably could have made that team at least a bubble team...I mean the 2009 Blackhawks had similar talent.....

Duncan Keith >> Rasmus Ristolainen
Dustin Byfulguin > Kyle Okposo
Patrick Sharp > Sam Reinhart
Patrick Kane >= Jack Eichel
Brent Seabroook >>> ?
Kris Versteeg > ?
Andrew Ladd
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:42 p.m.

Slow down. Your exact words were: "if ROR could play like Toews, Buffalo would be a contender". Which implies that Toews was the reason Chicago was a contender. But, whatever.

Let's go through the players you mentioned

Eichel - missed like 2 months with injury
Reinhart - he has what, 40 points?
Kane - what's the point of mentioning a player who has nothing to do with the franchise anymore?
Ristolainen - he's no Duncan Kieth
Okposo - after his injuries he's not the same player as he was before

They also have major holes in their defence and forward group. Plenty of reason why they sucked this season.

And as for the last part of your comment:

I mean Toews probably could have made that team at least a bubble team

Again, you're implying that Toews is some sort of demi-god who can add 30 points to a team just like that. Which clearly and obviously demonstrates how bad you overrate him. Guess it isn't too much of a surprise
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.
Boeser +Petterson + Demko for Toews and Sharp?

No
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:43 p.m.
HawksFan28

No, he wouldn't but if Toews was on Edmonton or Toronto their odds of winning the Cup would significantly improve.

One player cant win a Cup on his own, however one player can be the difference between success and failure.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:44 p.m.
get ur corsi up
No

Benning: YES
nobody liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:45 p.m.
Benning: YES

Thanks Captain Obvious squinty smile
Daryl liked this.
Mar. 25, 2018 at 5:46 p.m.
There's many ways you can spend 10.5M than Toews.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit