Forums/Armchair-GM

Benn for Tavares - 18-19 Stars

Created by: StarsHorns
Team: 2018-19 Dallas Stars
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 27, 2018
Published: Mar. 27, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Re-tooled the trade and just traded for his rights, as I think the Isles will do everything they can to get something from Tavares before he just walks away. The D can progress nicely under Hitch with a base of Lindell, Kling, Johns and I think Heiskanen makes roster. Develop that side under Hitch and Wilson, add elite talent to line 2, and see if you can really make a true run at this thing in the Benn/Seguin/Radulov years.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
3$2,000,000
5$3,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$11,000,000
2$2,000,000
Nichushkin, Val
2$2,500,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Gurianov, Denis
  2. Methot, Marc
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
They can pair Methot back with Karlsson.
DAL
    Rights to John Tavares.
    NYI
    1. Spezza, Jason
    2. 2020 1st round pick (DAL)
    3. 2021 3rd round pick (DAL)
    Additional Details:
    They would be doing us a favor in taking the Spezza deal, so would need to pay a bit more in picks/assets I would think to acquire his rights. I would even give them any prospect outside of Robertson, Tufte, Point, Oettinger as well to take on Spezza deal and get that cap hit gone without a buyout period when Seguin extension would be due.
    DAL
    1. 2019 3rd round pick (ARI)
    ARI
    1. Hanzal, Martin
    2. Ritchie, Brett
    Additional Details:
    Contract and cap hit dump for Hanzal, and Brett Ritchie has severly underperformed here, but still young enough change of scenery may do him good. Plus, Arizona familiar with Hanzal. Honestly, no clue if 3rd rounder would be plausible or not. But we need to clear space for Tavares/Seguin in this scenario.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the ARI
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the DAL
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$75,000,000$70,823,333$0$3,157,500$4,176,667
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    LW, C
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    C, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 1
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    RW
    NMC
    UFA - 4
    $5,187,500$5,187,500
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 7
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Nichushkin, Val
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $811,667$811,667 (Performance Bonus$157,500$158K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,200,000$2,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $4,250,000$4,250,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $4,916,667$4,916,667
    G
    NMC
    UFA - 5
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    G
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 1:52 p.m.
    earl sweatshirt
    Why would stars do that Tavares deal?? lol
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 1:53 p.m.
    Habs4ever
    tongue in cheek, Montreal says yes to that trade. We will suffer and trade you Jordie Benn for Tavares. smile
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 1:54 p.m.
    thats literally in the explanation lol. 10 years of Jamie Benn, 8 years missing the playoffs. Let's shake it up in the core. Enough with the marginal changes hoping to help, I think this core needs to be shaken a bit. Plus, then you have ELITE talent at 1C and 2C.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
    What in tarnation
    That's so bad for Dallas...
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:19 p.m.
    Stars
    I personally wouldn't trade Benn for Tavares 1-on-1. Benn is not the reason why Dallas hasn't been successful in many years. He has been the best player of that organisation almost his whole career. I love the leadership he brings and that he is a player without a single weak point in his game. He can be a scorer, he can be a playmaker, he is physical and he's skillful as hell.

As far as I'm concerned, Benn is a TOP10 player in the world. Tavares is not. Therefore, absolutely not for this trade.

It's just sad that it's not possible to give minus stars. This would definitely earn them.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:24 p.m.
    Quoting: Starsfan98
    I personally wouldn't trade Benn for Tavares 1-on-1. Benn is not the reason why Dallas hasn't been successful in many years. He has been the best player of that organisation almost his whole career. I love the leadership he brings and that he is a player without a single weak point in his game. He can be a scorer, he can be a playmaker, he is physical and he's skillful as hell.

As far as I'm concerned, Benn is a TOP10 player in the world. Tavares is not. Therefore, absolutely not for this trade.

It's just sad that it's not possible to give minus stars. This would definitely earn them.

you think a tad too highly of benn. again, results speak for themselves. keep changing players around them and when we keep underperforming 5 years down the road, we will look back and wonder why we didn't alter the core quicker. Benn's game does not lend itself to longevity, i.e. Brenden Morrow. He will begin to tail off. Tavares is a better hockey player than Jamie Benn, and I think Tavares will maintain his level of play longer into a contract then Benn will, I actually think Benn's deal will start to look like Spezza deal here in a few seasons. You had to sign it, but this team has gone from division champ to cellar, to wild card spot, to franchise long losing streak in the middle of the playoffs. It's time to look at serious changes.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:25 p.m.
    and if yall all think the stars are overpaying then thats excellent, i can certainly take assets out of the deals lol, that only helps haha.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:26 p.m.
    Skipping over some pretty lopsided trades, that defense is going to average 5 goals against per game.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:27 p.m.
    man the response here is actually great, if yall all think we are way overpaying, i was just trying to not overvalue our roster players and prospects. we can certainly hold on to some extra picks lol.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:36 p.m.
    Stars
    Quoting: StarsHorns
    you think a tad too highly of benn. again, results speak for themselves. keep changing players around them and when we keep underperforming 5 years down the road, we will look back and wonder why we didn't alter the core quicker. Benn's game does not lend itself to longevity, i.e. Brenden Morrow. He will begin to tail off. Tavares is a better hockey player than Jamie Benn, and I think Tavares will maintain his level of play longer into a contract then Benn will, I actually think Benn's deal will start to look like Spezza deal here in a few seasons. You had to sign it, but this team has gone from division champ to cellar, to wild card spot, to franchise long losing streak in the middle of the playoffs. It's time to look at serious changes.

I agree with you that there needs to be some serious changes to be done. But I don't believe trading Benn is the right route to go, and I also disagree about that he's going to "tail off" as you put it.

As you said, results speak for themselves. Well then,
    - Has Islanders been that successful with Tavares then? Nope. Therefore, Tavares hasn't brought anything else than Benn hasn't brough to his team
    - Has Tavares won an Art Ross trophy? Nope. Benn has, and therefore, Tavares hasn't really been better than him.

Therefore, how Tavares is "a better hockey player?"

In the offensive end, Tavares might be a little bit better player. But he doesn't bring as much leadership, physicality and defensivity to the team. Benn is an all around star, and I'm positive when the team core gets altered a bit, Dallas will eventually be more succesful.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 2:44 p.m.
    Quoting: Starsfan98
    I agree with you that there needs to be some serious changes to be done. But I don't believe trading Benn is the right route to go, and I also disagree about that he's going to "tail off" as you put it.

As you said, results speak for themselves. Well then,
    - Has Islanders been that successful with Tavares then? Nope. Therefore, Tavares hasn't brought anything else than Benn hasn't brough to his team
    - Has Tavares won an Art Ross trophy? Nope. Benn has, and therefore, Tavares hasn't really been better than him.

Therefore, how Tavares is "a better hockey player?"

In the offensive end, Tavares might be a little bit better player. But he doesn't bring as much leadership, physicality and defensivity to the team. Benn is an all around star, and I'm positive when the team core gets altered a bit, Dallas will eventually be more succesful.

True on the playoff part with the Islanders. But he is a center, and an elite one. Benn can play center, but hes not as effective there and needs to stay on the wing. The Stars have a glaring hole at 2C right now without Spezza. Who fills that role at an ELITE level while the window with Benn/Seguin/Rads/Bishop/Kling is open? If it takes 5 years to draft and develop one then whats the point? Seguin will be 30, Rads will be gone, Benn will be on downslide and who knows what you have in net by then. If you want to take a serious run at this thing with this core, you need to do something.

We will disagree on Benn here. He is really, really, really good hockey player. But he has not found a way to elevate this team out of mediocrity at all. The same can be said for Tavares, I will give you that, but Benn is the largest piece I am trying to move for another elite level player to put with this core. Too often in games he looks disinterested, makes the lazy play, tries to get too cute, and can't hit the damn net when it matters. Jamie Benn is the captain, and I do love me some Jamie Benn. But he isn't the same player he was even 3 seasons ago. We will agree to disagree here.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:36 p.m.
    Black Lives Matter
    It's a sign-and-trade, yes, but Dallas may be able to sign him anyway if he's willing to sign and be traded there in the same deal. IMO this makes no sense for Dallas. Benn may even be better than Tavares anyway, or at least Benn AND Spezza AND a 1st+3rd is better than JT anyway.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 3:51 p.m.
    yea, i mean, in theory we could sign him as a FA, but I still think some team is going to trade for his rights and sign him that way, I dont think the Isles dont at least trade his rights to get something, and then whatever team traded for him is going to make sure to sign him, when is the last time a huge name got to the market? I gave away way too much in the deals for sure, I'll go back and retool some of those deals and take out some of the Stars assets, which only helps the Stars anyway, doesnt bother me any if we give up less lol
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 4:01 p.m.
    and spezza is totally useless, we would be begging for someone to take him off our hands, so you prolly gonna have to package him some how, someway to avoid eating buyout dollars in the first year of a seguin extension.
    Mar. 27, 2018 at 4:56 p.m.
    alright i retooled all the trades, assumed we could get tavares signed with getting his rights, and kept benn on the roster. what yall think? still giving away too much in those deals? do i need to add more to any of them now?

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll