Forums/Armchair-GM

If I owned the Sens

Created by: PistolP
Team: 2018-19 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 7, 2018
Published: Apr. 7, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Next season is all about developing players and creating space to re-sign Erik, and Matt.

I would start with Brown, Batherson & Wolanin in Bellville, and Formenton in Junior for seasoning.

I would hope for a bounce back from both goaltenders, mostly because their market value is so low right now, a good deal can't be had.

I like Wilson's size and grit, and hope wash. can't resign him.

I hope De Haan would want to play at home, and would have good chemistry with Erik.

I have never been a big Hoffman fan, although there is no denying his talent, but with adding Tkachuk, and the continued development of Dzingel and Chlapik, the left side looks good. and Nugent-Hopkins provides cost certainty at centre.

Burrows best days are beyond him, but a buyout doesn't make sense, "cause the buyout plus the replacement salary are the same as his salary. He is a good "pro", and so would be good for the young players on the team. But as owner I would insist that he play only when needed due to injury or rest. But this points to the need to more money devoted to scouting and coaching.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$3,000,000
8$6,750,000
1$800,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,200,000
5$4,200,000
Tkachuk, Brady
3$925,000
Trades
OTT
  1. 2020 2nd round pick (PIT)
VGK
  1. Ryan, Bobby ($1,500,000 retained)
OTT
    RFA rights to Tom Wilson
    WSH
    1. Claesson, Fredrik
    2. 2020 3rd round pick (CBJ)
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the CGY
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    Logo of the OTT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$80,000,000$64,816,666$0$1,392,500$15,183,334
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $1,800,000$1,800,000
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $6,750,000$6,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    C
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    Tkachuk, Brady
    $925,000$925,000
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    LW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $650,000$650,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,100,000$3,100,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $2,500,000$2,500,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,200,000$4,200,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 4
    $6,500,000$6,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,750,000$4,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $725,000$725,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $4,650,000$4,650,000
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,875,000$4,875,000
    RW
    UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 1:43 p.m.
    Only stone is a good winger. Jgp is better than a 4th c, seems like wasting him. The 3rd pairing and goaltending seem like major weaknesses. I don’t think this team would make the playoffs, but it’d probably sell tickets well.
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 1:46 p.m.
    I believe Wilson is worth a little more than that, but nice work. (btw it doesn't matter what you would do as Sens owner because you couldn't be worse than Melnyk)
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 2:34 p.m.
    marijuana sales aren't legal till July 1st in canada. sens fans should stop the their induced high that ryan is leaving ottawa.
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 2:37 p.m.
    Sens4life
    Quoting: FryesLeapMaine
    Only stone is a good winger. Jgp is better than a 4th c, seems like wasting him. The 3rd pairing and goaltending seem like major weaknesses. I don’t think this team would make the playoffs, but it’d probably sell tickets well.

3rd pairing is definitely good but I agree with you that our goaltending really needs to improve.
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 3:00 p.m.
    Quoting: Sens4life
    3rd pairing is definitely good but I agree with you that our goaltending really needs to improve.

I don’t think borowiecki is any good and I heard he’s stopped fighting which was his best asset. I think the bruins have 8 defenders better than those 2 right now chara, mcavoy, Carlo, Krug, Holden, Miller, mcquaid and grzelcyk.
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 3:21 p.m.
    Ducks Fly Together
    I like your process here but I highly doubt Vegas does that deal as it is structured, and the Caps would need something significant in return for Wilson, not just a bottom pairing d man and a future mid round pick. He has spent the second half of the year playing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov and been consistently effective. A young, physical top 9 wing who can score and kill penalties is worth more than your offer.

I like the De Haan signing - didn't know he was from Ottawa - but the role and contract would be appealing to both sides. Nuge/Hoff is a very interesting deal, though I feel (personal opinion) Chia only wants to move that trade chip for D.
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 5:12 p.m.
    Sens4life
    I don’t think borowiecki is any good and I heard he’s stopped fighting which was his best asset. I think the bruins have 8 defenders better than those 2 right now chara, mcavoy, Carlo, Krug, Holden, Miller, mcquaid and grzelcyk.

Interesting. Personally, I really like Borowiecki as he plays a very physical, solid brand of hockey that gives energy to the entire team. Wideman was also playing some phenomenal hockey for the first 20 or so games of the season before he got injured. I like that as our third pairing but if you don't like it, then I respect that.
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 5:34 p.m.
    Quoting: Sens4life
    Interesting. Personally, I really like Borowiecki as he plays a very physical, solid brand of hockey that gives energy to the entire team. Wideman was also playing some phenomenal hockey for the first 20 or so games of the season before he got injured. I like that as our third pairing but if you don't like it, then I respect that.

That’s fine. I appreciate your selflessness, but I do believe all 8 d’s On Boston outrank that pair.... meaning a poor chance at the playoffs for ott.

Borowiecki is physical, but he’s going to cheap shot and not back it up. That’s self defeating, so his value is on the way down. He was once an agitator who took on anyone, which is useful like a lesser version of Adam mcquaid, but now he said he’s not going to fight. That takes away credibility imo.... that’s like a rapper who doesn’t rhyme.... he’s becoming a negative value. I know you are intelligent so i’m Wondering if you can foresee him stirring the pot and getting the other team pissed off and then not backing up his actions by refusing all fights. That isn’t helpful imo, the yield is a lesser chance of winning.

To be real, I think ott needs to rebuild. This season is what Ottawa truly is. I don’t think of them as a good team, they’re like 3 to 5 good players and then just random ppl. No identity. Get like 4 picks in 2018. 1st + for ek and duchene. Rebuild instead of shortcut.
    Apr. 7, 2018 at 11:18 p.m.
    Quoting: Oggsford_Blues
    I like your process here but I highly doubt Vegas does that deal as it is structured, and the Caps would need something significant in return for Wilson, not just a bottom pairing d man and a future mid round pick. He has spent the second half of the year playing with Ovechkin and Kuznetsov and been consistently effective. A young, physical top 9 wing who can score and kill penalties is worth more than your offer.

I like the De Haan signing - didn't know he was from Ottawa - but the role and contract would be appealing to both sides. Nuge/Hoff is a very interesting deal, though I feel (personal opinion) Chia only wants to move that trade chip for D.

Thanks for the feedback, if it were me, I would definetly sweeten the deal for Wilson, and I was thinking with the Ryan deal, it should be a conditional pick depending on the numbers of games he is able to play. I think Ryan is better suited to the Western conference, but with Ott. retaining that much salary, they need something in return. I think if Ryan can play between 70-80 games he is worth the 5.75 m vegas would have to pay him. So lets say if he plays north of 70 games, we get a 2nd round pick and anything less it drops to a 4th. Anything less than that and I think Ott. should hold off trading him until they have to start paying Karlsson and Duchene new deals in another year. This is all academic anyway 'cause I fear the owner won't make a serious offer to Karlsson, and instead will trade him. And I will seriously consider becoming a leaf fan.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 4:07 p.m.
    Edited Apr. 9, 2018 at 4:12 p.m.
    If I am trading Hoffman, RNH is really not who I'd want. He is also more expensive so it doesn't make sense for Ottawa.

Don't think Vegas need Ryan. Think more about a team lacking offensive talent and who have cap space.

Ceci will get more than $3,000,000 x 2 years. His QO is $3,300,000

Dzingel is not good? The rest are rookies so obviously you don't really have an opinion on them yet lol

Borowiecki-Wideman has actually been a solid 3rd pair in the past. They didn't play much together this year because of injuries.

Agreed on goaltending, but they've been solid in the past. Problem is team defense, under a new coaching staff, things could change.

That’s fine. I appreciate your selflessness, but I do believe all 8 d’s On Boston outrank that pair.... meaning a poor chance at the playoffs for ott.

Borowiecki is physical, but he’s going to cheap shot and not back it up. That’s self defeating, so his value is on the way down. He was once an agitator who took on anyone, which is useful like a lesser version of Adam mcquaid, but now he said he’s not going to fight. That takes away credibility imo.... that’s like a rapper who doesn’t rhyme.... he’s becoming a negative value. I know you are intelligent so i’m Wondering if you can foresee him stirring the pot and getting the other team pissed off and then not backing up his actions by refusing all fights. That isn’t helpful imo, the yield is a lesser chance of winning.

To be real, I think ott needs to rebuild. This season is what Ottawa truly is. I don’t think of them as a good team, they’re like 3 to 5 good players and then just random ppl. No identity. Get like 4 picks in 2018. 1st + for ek and duchene. Rebuild instead of shortcut.

Thanks for your "opinion" on Boro, really liked the rapper comparison lol

Anyway, thanks also for your opinion that this season is what Ottawa truly is. It's the second time in 22 years that they get a better draft position than 9th (Zibanejad with a 6th in 2011) but yeah, 2nd last is what Ottawa TRULY is.

Personally I don't see how a team with those assets needs to fully rebuild :

Stone (25)
    Duchene (26)
    Hoffman (28)
    Dzingel (26)
    Pageau (25)

Brown (20)
    Batherson (19)
    Chlapik (20)
    White (21)
    Formenton (18)
    Gagné (21)
    Paul (23)
    Perron (21)
    Nurmi (19)
    Luchuk (21)
    Sturtz (23)

Karlsson (27)
    Chabot (21)
    Wolanin (23)
    Ceci (24)
    Jaros (22)
    Harpur (23)
    Lajoie (20)
    Summers (21)
    Englund (22)
    Pokka (23)

Gustavsson (19)
    Hogberg (23)
    Driedger (23)
    Hollett (19)

And they're about to add one of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Dobson, Tkachuk, Whalstrom etc. and another very good prospect with Pittsburgh's 1st round pick.
    Apr. 9, 2018 at 5:28 p.m.
    Quoting: Xspyrit
    If I am trading Hoffman, RNH is really not who I'd want. He is also more expensive so it doesn't make sense for Ottawa.

Don't think Vegas need Ryan. Think more about a team lacking offensive talent and who have cap space.

Ceci will get more than $3,000,000 x 2 years. His QO is $3,300,000

Dzingel is not good? The rest are rookies so obviously you don't really have an opinion on them yet lol

Borowiecki-Wideman has actually been a solid 3rd pair in the past. They didn't play much together this year because of injuries.

Agreed on goaltending, but they've been solid in the past. Problem is team defense, under a new coaching staff, things could change.

Thanks for your "opinion" on Boro, really liked the rapper comparison lol

Anyway, thanks also for your opinion that this season is what Ottawa truly is. It's the second time in 22 years that they get a better draft position than 9th (Zibanejad with a 6th in 2011) but yeah, 2nd last is what Ottawa TRULY is.

Personally I don't see how a team with those assets needs to fully rebuild :

Stone (25)
    Duchene (26)
    Hoffman (28)
    Dzingel (26)
    Pageau (25)

Brown (20)
    Batherson (19)
    Chlapik (20)
    White (21)
    Formenton (18)
    Gagné (21)
    Paul (23)
    Perron (21)
    Nurmi (19)
    Luchuk (21)
    Sturtz (23)

Karlsson (27)
    Chabot (21)
    Wolanin (23)
    Ceci (24)
    Jaros (22)
    Harpur (23)
    Lajoie (20)
    Summers (21)
    Englund (22)
    Pokka (23)

Gustavsson (19)
    Hogberg (23)
    Driedger (23)
    Hollett (19)

And they're about to add one of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Dobson, Tkachuk, Whalstrom etc. and another very good prospect with Pittsburgh's 1st round pick.

I honestly think that once you go past a teams top 5 or so prospects and try to act like the other guys carry a huge amount of weight: you’re being a homer. Some of those players won’t be all that useful.
    Apr. 11, 2018 at 1:33 p.m.
    I honestly think that once you go past a teams top 5 or so prospects and try to act like the other guys carry a huge amount of weight: you’re being a homer. Some of those players won’t be all that useful.

I am not acting like anything, I am listing players and prospects, if you don't want to know about them, it's your choice. I am someone always giving as much info as possible and the reader is free to do whatever he wants with it. You think it's homerism? Fine, I think your comment was pretty childish.

To get back to the discussion, do you think all those guys need to become stars? No, because the Sens already have several quality players in the line-up and if a few of them succeed, then "what Ottawa truly is" might be different than what you're thinking. There's only 18 skaters playing at the same time, plus 1 goalie. Out of those 16 forwards, 10 D-men and 4 goalies (plus the high pick coming and the other first rounder), the chances are good the line-up gets better.
    Apr. 11, 2018 at 3:22 p.m.
    Quoting: Xspyrit
    I am not acting like anything, I am listing players and prospects, if you don't want to know about them, it's your choice. I am someone always giving as much info as possible and the reader is free to do whatever he wants with it. You think it's homerism? Fine, I think your comment was pretty childish.

To get back to the discussion, do you think all those guys need to become stars? No, because the Sens already have several quality players in the line-up and if a few of them succeed, then "what Ottawa truly is" might be different than what you're thinking. There's only 18 skaters playing at the same time, plus 1 goalie. Out of those 16 forwards, 10 D-men and 4 goalies (plus the high pick coming and the other first rounder), the chances are good the line-up gets better.

Most of those guys are average prospects. We can agree to disagree about rebuilding, I think signing ek to 11m x 8 and Duchene to 8m x 8y is going to backfire. I think selling ,them off is the best strategy considering what could be gotten. I’d sell them both for high picks / prospects + an nhl player replacement.

Bottom line is that I feel this team is going to tank for 2 years anyways due to brutal goaltending, so why not take those years to develope young players and then compete with a ufa starter in 2020-2021.
    Apr. 15, 2018 at 2:38 p.m.
    Most of those guys are average prospects. We can agree to disagree about rebuilding, I think signing ek to 11m x 8 and Duchene to 8m x 8y is going to backfire. I think selling ,them off is the best strategy considering what could be gotten. I’d sell them both for high picks / prospects + an nhl player replacement.

Bottom line is that I feel this team is going to tank for 2 years anyways due to brutal goaltending, so why not take those years to develope young players and then compete with a ufa starter in 2020-2021.

OK but like I said, there's only 18 skaters playing at the same time, plus 1 goalie

I'll try to be more precise. Even if some of the prospects I have listed are "average", it doesn't change the fact that you don't need all of them to succeed because of the limit of roster spots and the players already successful at the NHL level.

Actual Top-9 forwards :

Stone (25)
    Duchene (26)
    Hoffman (28)
    Dzingel (26)
    Pageau (25)

Above average Forward prospects :

Brown (20)
    Batherson (19)
    Chlapik (20)
    White (21)
    Formenton (18)

"Average" Forward prospects :

Gagné (21)
    Paul (23)
    Perron (21)
    Nurmi (19)
    Luchuk (21)
    Sturtz (23)

Top-5 D-men :

Karlsson (27)
    Chabot (21)
    Ceci (24)

Above average D-men prospects :

Wolanin (23)
    Jaros (22)

"Average" D-men prospects :

Harpur (23)
    Lajoie (20)
    Summers (21)
    Englund (22)
    Pokka (23)

Goalie prospects :

Gustavsson (19)
    Hogberg (23)
    Driedger (23)
    Hollett (19)

They also have 2 first round picks in the upcoming draft, one being top-5 (could be N.1 overall as well). Since we don't know about that at the moment, I am not adding them in any of the groupings but you have to consider them as well.

Fully rebuild with that list of current assets would be utterly stupid. It's a youth movement retool as evidenced by the moves they have made so far :

- Trading Phaneuf and Thompspn
    - Waiving Oduya (got claimed by Philly)
    - Trading Brassard (30 y/o)
    - Waiving Dumont (got claimed by Tampa)
    - Trading Didomenico (29 y/o) for a 23 y/o D-man
    Apr. 15, 2018 at 2:49 p.m.
    Edited Apr. 16, 2018 at 11:33 a.m.

I see your point about Duchene and Karlsson but they are just 27 y/o. I think players of that caliber still have a lot of good hockey left. Of course, there is always risk involved with re-signing vets to long-term contracts but it's the same story for every team.

And I agree about goaltending, they were terrible this season. They could maybe rebound next year. If they don't, then I don't know, there is the 2 Swedish goalies with lot of potential. The team could also maybe do a change in next year duo. It remains to be seen.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll