Forums/Armchair-GM

EDM and BUF trades + Boqvist

Created by: J2W
Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 16, 2018
Published: Apr. 16, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Edmonton saves almost 1 mil in cap space for the next 3 seasons while getting the slightly younger Alzner, who for all his faults hasn't missed a game in 8 seasons and blocks shots at a slightly better rate than Adam Larsson over the last 3 seasons. Montreal gets a LD with more offensive upside and a deal that is 1 year shorter.

Buffalo gets a badly needed RD, after Ristolainen their only RD that seems NHL calibre is Bogosian. Weber would take a lot of pressure off of Ristolainen. Buffalo takes the gamble that Mittelstadt can step into a top 6 role quickly, mitigating the loss of ROR. Montreal obviously gets a proper top 6 C, who is at worst top 5 2C at best around bottom 5 1C across the league.
The conditional pick going to Buffalo could be bumped up to a first but i think the deal is relatively even. Or Byron and the pick(s) going Buffalo's way could be dropped for Pacioretty and a conditional pick going to Montreal if he resigns.

The Plekanec signing is just a warm body, it could be any 4C or even someone like Statsny to play 2C there is enough cap space. Boqvist deal includes max bonuses being included and reached.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Boqvist, Adam
3$3,775,000
1$2,000,000
Trades
EDM
  1. Alzner, Karl
Additional Details:
2018 4th (EDM)
MTL
  1. O'Reilly, Ryan
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
2019 2nd is conditional, if Weber fails to record 45 points or is on IR/LTIR for more than 10 games in the 2018/19 season Buffalo retains their 2nd. If both happen Buffalo gets Montreal's 2019 2nd.
BUF
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. Weber, Shea
Additional Details:
2018 2nd (CHI)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$78,000,000$64,764,165$0$1,207,500$13,235,835
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LW
UFA - 1
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 5
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$650,000$650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Boqvist, Adam
$3,775,000$3,775,000
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:18 a.m.
Mariolemieux66
What is the purpose of those trades?
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:21 a.m.
Quoting: Camarade
What is the purpose of those trades?

From the Montreal side or the Edmonton and Buffalo sides? I put a small explanation in the description.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:23 a.m.
Mariolemieux66
Quoting: J2W
From the Montreal side or the Edmonton and Buffalo sides? I put a small explanation in the description.

This doesnt make Montreal better.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:23 a.m.
no way buf does that. terrible contract for weber
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:25 a.m.
boqvist cant make 3.7 mil as a rookie lol
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:28 a.m.
This doesnt make Montreal better.

The Alzner trade is at worst no improvement, but it won't make the team worse. The Buffalo trade solves Montreal's biggest problem which is a high end C that the coach will actually trust. Losing Weber hurts but with Juulsen and Boqvist it wouldn't be a crippling blow.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:28 a.m.
Shibbal18
Sabres decline, Weber's too old, he's breaking down, and his contract is bad. They could spend a little more in free agency and go after Carlson, if they want, at that point
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:30 a.m.
Mariolemieux66
The Alzner trade is at worst no improvement, but it won't make the team worse. The Buffalo trade solves Montreal's biggest problem which is a high end C that the coach will actually trust. Losing Weber hurts but with Juulsen and Boqvist it wouldn't be a crippling blow.

Juulsen is a rookie and not ready for at least another year. Boqvist might need 2 years. Montreal defense is already ****?
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:30 a.m.
Quoting: sabres1108
no way buf does that. terrible contract for weber

ROR at 7.5 isn't much better. At least Weber's contract dives in actual salary in a few years and becomes a great contract for a budget team. And as the description says Boqvist's deal includes max possibly bonuses.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:37 a.m.
Quoting: Shibbal18
Sabres decline, Weber's too old, he's breaking down, and his contract is bad. They could spend a little more in free agency and go after Carlson, if they want, at that point

Weber was on a 50 point pace on a broken foot 26 games into the season. His contract isn't bad when you actually look at how it's structured, plus if he decides to retire early Nashville will either need to eat up to a 24 million cap hit or reacquire him and buy him out. Plus I don't see much RD depth on Buffalo. Carlson is an option for them though true, just like Tavares is an option for Montreal, obviously players like that signing would change things.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:40 a.m.
Juulsen is a rookie and not ready for at least another year. Boqvist might need 2 years. Montreal defense is already ****?

Juulson looked ready enough this year, him being in the AHL won't help him anymore he needs time with the big boys. Montreal's defence wasn't great but the fact that Price couldn't stop a beach ball at the start of the season certainly didn't help.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 1:56 a.m.
Webber is too old and too expensive for the Sabres at this point. Trading for Webber would be a win now move, theSabres are looking to build for the future.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:08 a.m.
Shibbal18
Weber was on a 50 point pace on a broken foot 26 games into the season. His contract isn't bad when you actually look at how it's structured, plus if he decides to retire early Nashville will either need to eat up to a 24 million cap hit or reacquire him and buy him out. Plus I don't see much RD depth on Buffalo. Carlson is an option for them though true, just like Tavares is an option for Montreal, obviously players like that signing would change things.

Unless he can go backwards in age, I'm not really worried about what his pace was last year, he's 32 (will be like 34-36 by the time the Sabres are possibly a contender, but they probably 36-38 with a trade like this), has 8 years left at a 7.8 mill cap hit (Sabres don't have to worry about salary, they are far from a budget team), and he missed the majority of this season this year.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:10 a.m.
Quoting: Greysuits
Webber is too old and too expensive for the Sabres at this point. Trading for Webber would be a win now move, theSabres are looking to build for the future.

I just figured that the Sabres have been bad for the last half decade or more and they have some young pieces, maybe they would try and trade from a position of relative strength (if Middelstadt is NHL ready next season) to shore up a position of weakness, defence and more specifically RD. Weber still has a few good years in him, provided he heals up decently, and the actual money he gets in the final part of his contract is almost nothing making it an easy contract to move to a team like Arizona or just any rebuilding or low salary team trying to get to the cap floor.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:13 a.m.
Edited Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:28 a.m.
Unless he can go backwards in age, I'm not really worried about what he did last year, he's 32 (will be like 34-36 by the time the Sabres are possibly a contender, but they probably 36-38 with a trade like this), has 8 years left at a 7.8 mill cap hit (Sabres don't have to worry about salary, they are far from a budget team), and he missed the majority of this season this year.

I never said the Sabres needed to worry about salary, I said that towards the end of his deal he would be easy to trade to a budget team. I look at Buffalo and see a team that should have been in the playoff mix this year and finished last. Maybe I am overestimating the Sabres roster but they are severely under-performing in my eyes and a shake up might be necessary. Also Eichel missed a quarter of this season, Crosby missed more than half a season back to back years not that long ago, injuries happen. I can understand not wanting to take the risk of Weber not bouncing back but to pretend his value is next to nothing is just being dishonest with yourself.
And let's be honest ROR is 28 next season, his offence isn't going to improve and might start declining soon, he's a good player but he likely doesn't have the offensive strength to stay in the 55-60 point range as he gets towards 30. ROR's value is his 2 way game which is great but not worth 7.5 now let alone if his offence declines. I hope he stays a top 2C for many years going forward (wouldn't try to aquire him if I didn't) but he will likely be a middle of the pack 2C well before his deal is done, with would still make him the best C on Montreal unless a miracle happens and Galchenyuk gets another shot.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:29 a.m.
Shibbal18
I never said the Sabres needed to worry about salary, I said that towards the end of his deal he would be easy to trade to a budget team. I look at Buffalo and see a team that should have been in the playoff mix this year and finished last. Maybe I am overestimating the Sabres roster but they are severely under-performing in my eyes and a shake up might be necessary. Also Eichel missed a quarter of this season, Crosby missed more than half a season back to back years not that long ago, injuries happen. I can understand not wanting to take the risk of Weber not bouncing back but to pretend his value is next to nothing is just being dishonest with yourself.

They definitely need a shake up, but they need to add younger players that are going to be with this team for a while, Weber is going to be degrading while this team is rebuilding trying to get back in the mix. I'm not saying Weber's value is nothing, I'm saying his value to Buffalo is nothing. It's like the Okposo signing, they wasted a ton of cap space on him, he didn't make this team better, and now he's only getting older while they figure out their next move. If the Sabres have a dream offseason and everything goes right they are still at best a bubble team, and ROR is the best trading chip this team has. If this offseason were to go right, they will have to maximize his return. 1 or 2 good years(when the Sabres are still a bad team) out of Weber is not maximizing his return. Sabres need a Roster LW or D, a prospect and a pick or prospect. If they Sabres have to throw in a pick or a Girgensons to get that extra piece coming back then so be it.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:33 a.m.
Shibbal18
The closest deal the Sabres could get out of MTL is probably involving some combinations of Mete, Hudon, Juulsen, Primeau, Fleury, Ikonen, Tyszka, Poehling, and picks up to even their 2018 1st rounder
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:39 a.m.
Edited Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:50 a.m.
They definitely need a shake up, but they need to add younger players that are going to be with this team for a while, Weber is going to be degrading while this team is rebuilding trying to get back in the mix. I'm not saying Weber's value is nothing, I'm saying his value to Buffalo is nothing. It's like the Okposo signing, they wasted a ton of cap space on him, he didn't make this team better, and now he's only getting older while they figure out their next move. If the Sabres have a dream offseason and everything goes right they are still at best a bubble team, and ROR is the best trading chip this team has. If this offseason were to go right, they will have to maximize his return. 1 or 2 good years(when the Sabres are still a bad team) out of Weber is not maximizing his return. Sabres need a Roster LW or D, a prospect and a pick or prospect. If they Sabres have to throw in a pick or a Girgensons to get that extra piece coming back then so be it.

Fair enough, they do need some help at D though, especially on that right side, if they can lock down a youngish guy like Carlson it would be amazing for them. Also, while I don't fully believe in it, the Sabres need to shake the whole culture of losing thing, part of why their are so many ROR trades being proposed. I figured Byron to take some of the lost PK time, an early second in a deep draft, and another 2nd or even 1st next season if Weber didn't work out would be a good deal to fix the holes short term while moving out a guy who, while valuable, has made management look bad with his end of year comments.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:42 a.m.
The closest deal the Sabres could get out of MTL is probably involving some combinations of Mete, Hudon, Juulsen, Primeau, Fleury, Ikonen, Tyszka, Poehling, and picks up to even their 2018 1st rounder

Honestly if something like Ikonen, Tyszka and a 2019 1st and maybe a pair of 2nds this year got it into hammering out the fine print that would be a way better deal than giving up Weber and Byron.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 2:54 a.m.
Shibbal18
Fair enough, they do need some help at D though, especially on that right side, if they can lock down a youngish guy like Carlson it would be amazing for them. Also, while I don't fully believe in it, the Sabres need to shake the whole culture of losing thing, part of why their are so many ROR trades being proposed. I figured Byron to take some of the lost PK time, an early second in a deep draft, and another 2nd or even 1st next season if Weber didn't work out would be a good deal to fix the wholes short term while moving out a guy who, while valuable, has made management look bad with his end of year comments.

We're all pretty upset with ROR right now, kind of because of the culture thing, shipping out Kane helped more with that. But now all his butt buddys are being salty crybabys and you can easily tell who they were by the end of the year interviews. So its not so much a culture of losings, its just a sh**ty culture that was establish and grown like mold since Ruff got fired and they havent had a real, disciplinarian voice in the locker room, captain or coach, to keep them in line since.
J2W and Subbanator7667 liked this.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 3:05 a.m.
We're all pretty upset with ROR right now, kind of because of the culture thing, shipping out Kane helped more with that. But now all his butt buddys are being salty crybabys and you can easily tell who they were by the end of the year interviews. So its not so much a culture of losings, its just a sh**ty culture that was establish and grown like mold since Ruff got fired and they havent had a real, disciplinarian voice in the locker room, captain or coach, to keep them in line since.

I mean I kinda get it, he went from a Colorado team that made the playoffs twice in the 6 years he was there, got bounced in the first round both times, and weren't exactly good in the other years, to a Sabres team that had just drafted Eichel and were looking to be in a spot like Toronto is by this time. Still though he could have phrased it a lot better. Seems sort of like the Kessel situation, great player, but not the type of person to be "the guy" in the locker room.
Apr. 16, 2018 at 8:43 a.m.
Subbanator
I think a trade of ROR is needed and if MTL wants to be in on it I actually think they have a few pieces for Buffalo to look at.

I agree with some on this board that Buffalo is in a weird place and ROR is now their top trade asset. In my opinion they should be using him to get real pieces to move forward with, not necessarily prospects but good cost contracts for youngish players (24+). He is valuable enough to get a top 4 defenceman and a top 9 forward with a pick. If that’s Montreal then your looking at Petry(29 year old RHD), Shaw, Gallagher(no go), Lehkonen, Byron - all top 9 forwards that have manageable contracts that can all step into the Buffalo line up and be successful. Finally you throw in a pick, depending on the pieces above your giving up it can be anywhere from a 1st to a 3rd, I will day though that if it involves Gallagher Buffalo would have to include something else.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll