Forums/Armchair-GM

Two Years, Big Contract

Created by: shab101
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 17, 2018
Published: Apr. 17, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Long term out look for the roster. I paid everyone fairly generously (6 years at 6 million for Nylander and Marner is fair..Pasternak makes 6.66 mill for 6 years and id say those two are slightly below Pasternak's development right now) I still have 3.5 million in cap space should someone need more money or if we need to solidify that number 6 defence position. But ideally, this lineup would be great for years to come. I think brace and timashov have a lot of potential and brace could end up complimenting Matthews really well or at worst, is a really skilled bottom 6 winger.

The following year we could have lines of:

Hyman-Matthews-Kapenen
Johnsson-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Nylander-Brown
Grunsdstrom-Aaltonen-Bracco
Timashov

Reilly-Doughty
Dermott-Liljegren
UFA-Hamonic
Brogman/Rosen/Nielson

Anderson
Sparks/Pickard

We would have 20-25 million to resign Hamonic, Hyman, Brown, Liljegren, Dermott, Johnsson and the fourth line. even if u give 5 million to harmonic, 4 million to Dermott, Liljegren, and 3.5 million to each of brown and Hyman. You should still have a couple million left to resign the 4th line.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,100,000
3$2,100,000
6$6,000,000
6$6,000,000
8$11,000,000
1$900,000
1$900,000
1$900,000
1$900,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$6,000,000
7$10,000,000
Trades
TOR
    3rd in 2019 (See Last post)
    TOR
    1. 2020 1st round pick (NJD)
    2. 2021 3rd round pick (NJD)
    TOR
    1. Hamonic, Travis
    Additional Details:
    1st in 2019, Lievo, 3rd in 2019
    CGY
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the NJD
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$83,000,000$73,698,809$0$665,000$9,301,191
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $700,000$700,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,100,000$1,100,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $925,000$925,000
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    C, LW, RW
    RFA
    $842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 8
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $3,857,143$3,857,143
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
    RD
    RFA - 3
    $697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 17, 2018 at 12:37 p.m.
    Some of your numbers are good but seriously, on what planet is Matthews worth almost twice as much as Marner?
    Apr. 17, 2018 at 12:43 p.m.
    #LeafsFever
    Seeing as this thread is looking 2 years into the future, predictions are always tough to make. For starters, I like your top forward line and I think/hope we will see that in future season. Next, I do not believe the Leafs will re-sign JVR. Clearly, you can see from the depth we've built up, his production may never be replaceable, but there are alternative options that give you more speed, grit and defence. Grundstrom and Johnsson are perfect examples are players that can play with speed, skill and grit for a top-9 that can help this team succeed for a full 82-game season and beyond, into playoffs.

If Zaitsev gets traded (which would be a low sell for Leafs at this point), it would be a defenceman of similar salary who has also underperformed. A 1-for-1 deal for a D like Hamonic, Severson, Klefbom all come to mind. I don't think Leafs get any value from a trade other receiving an underperformer D back in hopes that a fresh start might offer a turnaround. One defenceman this might apply most to is Brent Seabrook. It's obviously tremendous speculation but a deal like Zaitsev and Martin for Seabrook plus a swapping of 2018 1st rounders (so Leafs would draft 7th) could be interesting.

Finally, Doughty. My feeling is that one way or another he will remain in California. Whether that means re-signing in LA or signing with the Sharks or Ducks is unclear, but regardless, he will get between $9 and $11 million AAV.
    Apr. 17, 2018 at 1:12 p.m.
    LongtimeLeafsufferer
    If Zaitsev is worth a first and a third to NJD, why trade him? He has better term than Hamonic. I think you're under paid some of the RFAs, just to fit JVR on the team.
    Apr. 17, 2018 at 4:42 p.m.
    shab101
    Quoting: Goulet
    Some of your numbers are good but seriously, on what planet is Matthews worth almost twice as much as Marner?

Thanks! And I know what you mean, but those are the perks of being a Top 10 (Top 5?) player in the league. I do think there will be some hard negotiations with Lou to see if they can get that value closer to 10 million but at the end of the day, whatever he asks for, he will get it.

Quoting: MG1986
    Seeing as this thread is looking 2 years into the future, predictions are always tough to make. For starters, I like your top forward line and I think/hope we will see that in future season. Next, I do not believe the Leafs will re-sign JVR. Clearly, you can see from the depth we've built up, his production may never be replaceable, but there are alternative options that give you more speed, grit and defence. Grundstrom and Johnsson are perfect examples are players that can play with speed, skill and grit for a top-9 that can help this team succeed for a full 82-game season and beyond, into playoffs.

If Zaitsev gets traded (which would be a low sell for Leafs at this point), it would be a defenceman of similar salary who has also underperformed. A 1-for-1 deal for a D like Hamonic, Severson, Klefbom all come to mind. I don't think Leafs get any value from a trade other receiving an underperformer D back in hopes that a fresh start might offer a turnaround. One defenceman this might apply most to is Brent Seabrook. It's obviously tremendous speculation but a deal like Zaitsev and Martin for Seabrook plus a swapping of 2018 1st rounders (so Leafs would draft 7th) could be interesting.

Finally, Doughty. My feeling is that one way or another he will remain in California. Whether that means re-signing in LA or signing with the Sharks or Ducks is unclear, but regardless, he will get between $9 and $11 million AAV.

Hey, I get your point on JVR but I think they may sign him rather than let him walk for nothing (even though we got him for nothing in Luke Schenn) and If we win a cup within the next 3-4 years, they may trade him afterwards. I don't see anybody on this roster that can score as well as him aside from Matthews and 30+ goals is really hard to replace. I actually proposed the same trade you did for Seabrook in a previous post but then I got to thinking, if we are going to sign someone for 6-7 years at 6 million, and trade Zaitsev away, why not just trade him for picks and have our choice of defensemen. If we can lure a doughty here, its worth more than the first round pick IMO. Last, I am really hoping the Knights destroy the LA kings and next season is crappy for them. Make him want to leave and he would have a chance at a cup for at least the next 5 years with this line up.

Quoting: palhal
    If Zaitsev is worth a first and a third to NJD, why trade him? He has better term than Hamonic. I think you're under paid some of the RFAs, just to fit JVR on the team.

Zaitsev in my opinion is worth a late (20-30 overall) first rounder just on the basis he is a right hand shot, young and plays 20 minutes a game. The leafs need more defensive players on the back end. We have loads of offence but not one person (maybe aside from Rielly) who we can look at and say, they can shut down a McDavid or a Crosby or quite frankly any top 50 forward in the NHL. Hamonic provides them with someone who can play those tough minutes. Sign doughty as well and you have the makings of a defensive core that can play defence really well. Last, I don't think I really underpaid any of them. Kapenen has played 55 games in the NHL and has 10 points. Johnsson has 9 games and 3 points. I think I am kind of over paying them based solely on the potential they have. Plus they are very short term contracts so they would get a raise (if they prove they are worth it) when time comes (two years).
    Apr. 17, 2018 at 7:39 p.m.
    Banned
    I seriously doubt that the Salary Cap is going to increase by 8 million next year, There's absolutely no way the Leafs can afford to resign Van Riemsdyk plus Doughty and still have enough to resign both Marner, Nylander and Matthews both Marner and Nylander get closer to $7 million per then your $6 million per. Besides one of either Marner or Nylander will need to go bye bye as you will need to resign Kapanen and other RFAs down the road.
    Apr. 17, 2018 at 7:54 p.m.
    Quoting: shab101
    Thanks! And I know what you mean, but those are the perks of being a Top 10 (Top 5?) player in the league. I do think there will be some hard negotiations with Lou to see if they can get that value closer to 10 million but at the end of the day, whatever he asks for, he will get it.

Hey, I get your point on JVR but I think they may sign him rather than let him walk for nothing (even though we got him for nothing in Luke Schenn) and If we win a cup within the next 3-4 years, they may trade him afterwards. I don't see anybody on this roster that can score as well as him aside from Matthews and 30+ goals is really hard to replace. I actually proposed the same trade you did for Seabrook in a previous post but then I got to thinking, if we are going to sign someone for 6-7 years at 6 million, and trade Zaitsev away, why not just trade him for picks and have our choice of defensemen. If we can lure a doughty here, its worth more than the first round pick IMO. Last, I am really hoping the Knights destroy the LA kings and next season is crappy for them. Make him want to leave and he would have a chance at a cup for at least the next 5 years with this line up.

Zaitsev in my opinion is worth a late (20-30 overall) first rounder just on the basis he is a right hand shot, young and plays 20 minutes a game. The leafs need more defensive players on the back end. We have loads of offence but not one person (maybe aside from Rielly) who we can look at and say, they can shut down a McDavid or a Crosby or quite frankly any top 50 forward in the NHL. Hamonic provides them with someone who can play those tough minutes. Sign doughty as well and you have the makings of a defensive core that can play defence really well. Last, I don't think I really underpaid any of them. Kapenen has played 55 games in the NHL and has 10 points. Johnsson has 9 games and 3 points. I think I am kind of over paying them based solely on the potential they have. Plus they are very short term contracts so they would get a raise (if they prove they are worth it) when time comes (two years).

I love him too but he's not even top 20 yet.
    Apr. 18, 2018 at 12:11 a.m.
    shab101
    Quoting: Larkinisking
    I seriously doubt that the Salary Cap is going to increase by 8 million next year, There's absolutely no way the Leafs can afford to resign Van Riemsdyk plus Doughty and still have enough to resign both Marner, Nylander and Matthews both Marner and Nylander get closer to $7 million per then your $6 million per. Besides one of either Marner or Nylander will need to go bye bye as you will need to resign Kapanen and other RFAs down the road.

Title literally says Two years so as many are projecting, goes to 80 million this year and another 3 million the year after, and no, Marner and Nylander will get closer to 6 million than 7 million. Gaudreau, Pasternak, Mackinnon Scheifelie in that order make 6.75, 6.67, 6.3, 6.125. Marner and Nylander are not better than any of them yet so why would they deserve more? And down the road, cap space will open up and salary cap will increase. If you can sign the core long term, inflation of salary cap will outweigh the amount the role player's salaries increase by.
    Apr. 18, 2018 at 8:26 a.m.
    Quoting: shab101
    Title literally says Two years so as many are projecting, goes to 80 million this year and another 3 million the year after, and no, Marner and Nylander will get closer to 6 million than 7 million. Gaudreau, Pasternak, Mackinnon Scheifelie in that order make 6.75, 6.67, 6.3, 6.125. Marner and Nylander are not better than any of them yet so why would they deserve more? And down the road, cap space will open up and salary cap will increase. If you can sign the core long term, inflation of salary cap will outweigh the amount the role player's salaries increase by.

Your comparables are good and you can throw Matthews into that group as well.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll