M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
UFA - 7
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
LW
UFA - 1
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$650,000$650,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 4
$800,000$800,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
UFA - 8
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
UFA - 5
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
Samsonov, Ilya
$925,000$925,000
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 23, 2018 at 10:25 p.m.
pcp_514
Nobody JUST wants Oprik lol. you would have thrown in a pick as well
Apr. 23, 2018 at 10:26 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: pcp_514
Nobody JUST wants Oprik lol. you would have thrown in a pick as well

Just package him with grub
pcp_514 liked this.
Apr. 23, 2018 at 10:27 p.m.
pcp_514
Feel like that Oshie contract has Mike Richards/Dustin Brown written all over it -minus the 2 cups of course
Apr. 23, 2018 at 10:28 p.m.
pcp_514
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan

That would work!
Apr. 24, 2018 at 4:47 a.m.
Yeah for sure! JUST trade away 1 of the worst contracts for anything and nothing... That'll totally work...
Apr. 24, 2018 at 7:32 a.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Quoting: DJSums17
Yeah for sure! JUST trade away 1 of the worst contracts for anything and nothing... That'll totally work...

Carolina wants to get tougher and they are getting a young bottom 6 center back too. And they can afford that contract. Open your eyes dude
DJSums17 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2018 at 12:11 p.m.
Quoting: brady_t12
Carolina wants to get tougher and they are getting a young bottom 6 center back too. And they can afford that contract. Open your eyes dude

I have my eyes wide open. All I see is a terrible contract for a player that does nothing. There is MUCH cheaper options out there for the Canes.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:30 a.m.
Who adds what?
I have my eyes wide open. All I see is a terrible contract for a player that does nothing. There is MUCH cheaper options out there for the Canes.

Orpik's currently 30th in assists in the playoffs, after posting two in game six to win his sixth consecutive first round. He has 4.5M salary left on his contract. He has a cup ring and gets 200 hits a season.

It's nice that your eyes are open. Now watch some hockey.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 11:52 a.m.
Who adds what?
Four stars for showing that the Caps can pay Carlson as much as other teams likely offer. A fifth if you make it eight years, as only the Caps are allowed to, and explain what a stupid cap hit another team would have to offer to beat them on price.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: Eli
Orpik's currently 30th in assists in the playoffs, after posting two in game six to win his sixth consecutive first round. He has 4.5M salary left on his contract. He has a cup ring and gets 200 hits a season.

All arbitrary stats without context though.

30th in assists? Guess that means Orpik is the 30th best dman in the playoffs or something? Who cares. Whats his track record for scoring in the playoffs like?

6th consecutive 1st round win? So being part of good teams makes Orpik worth more? Maybe if they consecutively made the finals or something but 1st round? Whoopity-doo!

A cup ring is nice. 200 hits is nice. Is it 4.5m in salary or 5.5M in cap "nice"? Not a chance.

If soon to be 38 year old Orpik is you're missing piece, I guarantee you can find the equivalent on the open market without having to spend even 50% of that cap. Nobody doesn't want Orpik because he sucks. He doesn't. Nobody wants him because what he gives you can be nearly 100% attained at a fraction of the price. So whats the incentive?

Not saying he can't be moved however but saying that someone is actively trying to acquire Orpik isn't realistic. If he's part of a bigger deal with more prominent players or if Wash eats a bunch of his salary however, there could be a deal made. But as is? Highly highly doubt it.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 1:27 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: F50marco
All arbitrary stats without context though.

30th in assists? Guess that means Orpik is the 30th best dman in the playoffs or something? Who cares. Whats his track record for scoring in the playoffs like?

6th consecutive 1st round win? So being part of good teams makes Orpik worth more? Maybe if they consecutively made the finals or something but 1st round? Whoopity-doo!

A cup ring is nice. 200 hits is nice. Is it 4.5m in salary or 5.5M in cap "nice"? Not a chance.

If soon to be 38 year old Orpik is you're missing piece, I guarantee you can find the equivalent on the open market without having to spend even 50% of that cap. Nobody doesn't want Orpik because he sucks. He doesn't. Nobody wants him because what he gives you can be nearly 100% attained at a fraction of the price. So whats the incentive?

Not saying he can't be moved however but saying that someone is actively trying to acquire Orpik isn't realistic. If he's part of a bigger deal with more prominent players or if Wash eats a bunch of his salary however, there could be a deal made. But as is? Highly highly doubt it.

A) stop being so condescending.

B) your stated assumption that every team needs to struggle to fit under the salary cap next year and is in win now mode? Click on the "CapFriendly" logo and tell me how many teams didn't have 2M in cap space to invest in leadership and toughness.

C) if the Caps are inherently such a good team without Orpik, how come they missed the playoffs the year before they signed him?

D) yes. He is old. I see about fifteen teams wanting to trade for him if he is available because he has been a successful mentor to defensemen like Matt Niskanen, Nate Schmidt, John Carlson, and Madison Bowey. How much they'd give? Not much. He's ancient. But if the Caps move him, it's just for cap space, so they don't care.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 1:30 p.m.
Who adds what?
And I didn't say defensemen stats. There are only 29 players with 4 or more assists in the playoffs. Orpik has three. I didn't check just defensemen, but if you want to, that'd be great.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.

Oh I do. Trust me. And I watch a lot of 3rd and 4th rounds and I don't see him. No it's not on him but with that contract you can't be as big of a liability as he is.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 2:16 p.m.

B) your stated assumption that every team needs to struggle to fit under the salary cap next year and is in win now mode? Click on the "CapFriendly" logo and tell me how many teams didn't have 2M in cap space to invest in leadership and toughness.

C) if the Caps are inherently such a good team without Orpik, how come they missed the playoffs the year before they signed him?

D) yes. He is old. I see about fifteen teams wanting to trade for him if he is available because he has been a successful mentor to defensemen like Matt Niskanen, Nate Schmidt, John Carlson, and Madison Bowey. How much they'd give? Not much. He's ancient. But if the Caps move him, it's just for cap space, so they don't care.

Really you're going to comment on someone else being condensending???
Eli and F50marco liked this.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 2:39 p.m.
Who adds what?
Really you're going to comment on someone else being condensending???

Good one.

But you're a Leafs fan claiming teams can't dump huge contracts of guys without multiple Cup rings, so...

Um....

Seriously?
Apr. 26, 2018 at 2:56 p.m.
Who adds what?
Orpik's 19th among playoff defensemen in points. 11th in assists.

He had the primary on the Ovechkin goal that gave Washington the lead they held on to to win the first round.

Is that his thing? No. Showing up under pressure and not backing down, those are his things. He might get benched against a quick team like Pittsburgh, and his cap hit is too high, but this year he provided better on-ice value than Alzner, Bouwmeester, Hamonic, Garrison, Stoner, Sbisa, or NYR's Smith. At a 4.5M salary he's a bit of a gamble next year, but not awful.

Travis Boyd is an NHL ready bottom six center. If you want to nix that trade just point out that Carolina have to get rid of one of those. Orpik's not the problem here. Kruger is.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 3:05 p.m.
Who adds what?
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan

Sure. Let's trade a starting goalie to get rid of a guy who's top twenty among defensemen in playoff points right now. Great idea.

What would you have to be on to do this? Oh, right.
Quoting: pcp_514
That would work!
Apr. 26, 2018 at 4:37 p.m.

rolling eyes

A) How am I being condescending? Because i am disagreeing with you?

B) What are you even talking about? Where did I even ever say this? My point is clearly lost on you here. It is a simple save the money concept.

If I give you 1 dollar to go buy candy and you have two options for the same candy. 1 candy that is 1 dollar at a store and an identical candy at another store for half the price? Why choose the more expensive candy?
Now I'm being condescending by the way.

C) LMAO seriously? Like those two correlations have anything to do with each other??

D) Mentor? Why because he plays for the same team as other defensemen? OK fair enough lets just assume he does carry some leadership qualities. I don't doubt that. Are teams seriously looking at ORPIK to help bring their young dmen along? If there looking to trade, there are many other options as well a couple guys in free agency that could help at, once again, a fraction of the price. So why pay the extra for Orpik who is not only getting quite old, hasn't been that good lately either. Barring of course the one game where he had a primary assist...

I think you must of read my last comment 25% of the way through and skipped over the rest because you clearly didn't see this:

Quoting: Marco

I can smell an "arguer" from a mile away and you strike me as one, Eli. Someone who will argue a point beyond reason. I'll gladly change my opinion if given undeniable facts but as is, you aint convincing me and from the looks of it, any one else on here.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 5:07 p.m.
Who adds what?
rolling eyes

A) How am I being condescending? Because i am disagreeing with you?

B) What are you even talking about? Where did I even ever say this? My point is clearly lost on you here. It is a simple save the money concept.

If I give you 1 dollar to go buy candy and you have two options for the same candy. 1 candy that is 1 dollar at a store and an identical candy at another store for half the price? Why choose the more expensive candy?
Now I'm being condescending by the way.

C) LMAO seriously? Like those two correlations have anything to do with each other??

D) Mentor? Why because he plays for the same team as other defensemen? OK fair enough lets just assume he does carry some leadership qualities. I don't doubt that. Are teams seriously looking at ORPIK to help bring their young dmen along? If there looking to trade, there are many other options as well a couple guys in free agency that could help at, once again, a fraction of the price. So why pay the extra for Orpik who is not only getting quite old, hasn't been that good lately either. Barring of course the one game where he had a primary assist...

I think you must of read my last comment 25% of the way through and skipped over the rest because you clearly didn't see this:

I can smell an "arguer" from a mile away and you strike me as one, Eli. Someone who will argue a point beyond reason. I'll gladly change my opinion if given undeniable facts but as is, you aint convincing me and from the looks of it, any one else on here.

So when you're out of ideas, you just say the same things again? Interesting.

Google some news stories on Orpik's teaching abilities. Reirden said that's why they signed him, and had him spend his first year in Washington on a pair with Carlson to teach him positioning. Same with Schmidt last year. Now they get to use their offensive skills in more situations, and are leading two division leaders in minutes.

The Leafs don't have cap space for him. A team with a handful of young defense who view him as a player coach and has 20M of cap space, if it can dump back 3M of its own bad contracts, would be thrilled to add Orpik. Plus, if they retain salary, they can flip him for picks at the deadline.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 6:38 p.m.
So when you're out of ideas, you just say the same things again? Interesting.

Google some news stories on Orpik's teaching abilities. Reirden said that's why they signed him, and had him spend his first year in Washington on a pair with Carlson to teach him positioning. Same with Schmidt last year. Now they get to use their offensive skills in more situations, and are leading two division leaders in minutes.

The Leafs don't have cap space for him. A team with a handful of young defense who view him as a player coach and has 20M of cap space, if it can dump back 3M of its own bad contracts, would be thrilled to add Orpik. Plus, if they retain salary, they can flip him for picks at the deadline.

Lol whatever man, have fun with Orpik. Hope he's moved for whatever you think he's worth. Then again, why move him right?
Eli liked this.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 7:49 p.m.
Who adds what?
Lol whatever man, have fun with Orpik. Hope he's moved for whatever you think he's worth. Then again, why move him right?

Thanks!

Because the Caps, like the Leafs, need the cap space. But the Canes, Sabres, Coyotes, Canucks, or Canadiens could take a flyer on him for a year. And of course the Flyers never shy away from forty year old physical defensemen.

I don't think the Canes take Orpik without giving back Kruger, but that's a lot of cap space the Caps save. Kruger's buyout cap hit is under a million. Orpik's is 2.5M.
Apr. 26, 2018 at 9:57 p.m.
Thanks!

Because the Caps, like the Leafs, need the cap space. But the Canes, Sabres, Coyotes, Canucks, or Canadiens could take a flyer on him for a year. And of course the Flyers never shy away from forty year old physical defensemen.

I don't think the Canes take Orpik without giving back Kruger, but that's a lot of cap space the Caps save. Kruger's buyout cap hit is under a million. Orpik's is 2.5M.

Listen as I said, if Orpik is part of a bigger deal, than absolutely its possible. Or if the Caps eat some salary (or trade offsetting salary the other way), of course. That is not what we were debating. We're debating any team sending the Caps a 3rd for Orpik and Boyd......I still don't believe it. Not without something else to help.
Eli liked this.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 8:32 a.m.
Who adds what?
Listen as I said, if Orpik is part of a bigger deal, than absolutely its possible. Or if the Caps eat some salary (or trade offsetting salary the other way), of course. That is not what we were debating. We're debating any team sending the Caps a 3rd for Orpik and Boyd......I still don't believe it. Not without something else to help.

Okay. True. See... I've already conceded that's not a third coming back. It's 3M minor leaguer Marcus Kruger.

I guess I have been arguing with hyperbole:

With only 1 year left at just 4.5M and still a decent #4 d over 82 games, Orpik's contract is arguably better value per dollar than Bouwmeester, Alzner, Toews, Seabrook, Lucic, Sekera, Bogosian, Kruger, Beaulieu, Weber, Moulson, or the Ottawa Senators.

But the cap hit makes him a bad fit on a contender, which, if the Caps can't beat the pens with Malkin in the press box, is not even relevant to this conversation. Looks like he's staying.
Apr. 27, 2018 at 10:08 a.m.
Okay. True. See... I've already conceded that's not a third coming back. It's 3M minor leaguer Marcus Kruger.

I guess I have been arguing with hyperbole:

With only 1 year left at just 4.5M and still a decent #4 d over 82 games, Orpik's contract is arguably better value per dollar than Bouwmeester, Alzner, Toews, Seabrook, Lucic, Sekera, Bogosian, Kruger, Beaulieu, Weber, Moulson, or the Ottawa Senators.

But the cap hit makes him a bad fit on a contender, which, if the Caps can't beat the pens with Malkin in the press box, is not even relevant to this conversation. Looks like he's staying.

Oh didn't even see anyone elses comment. Was only saying with regards to the comment you made after Djsums said no team would pay a 3rd to get Orpik without retention along with Boyd to which you replied:

I see no mention of Kruger there. Had there been an acceptance of a Kruger for Orpik type swap. I wouldn't of said anything. That would of been more than fair.
Eli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll