Forums/Armchair-GM

Buffalo redo

Created by: FryesLeapMaine
Team: 2018-19 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 29, 2018
Published: Apr. 29, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
We’ll see how well this goes..... hoping it helps everyone.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
3$850,000
7$5,750,000
3$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,200,000
Pick #1, Rasmus Dahlin
3$925,000
Pick #2, Andrei Svechnikov
3$925,000
2$1,250,000
Trades
BUF
    2018 1st #2 svechnikov
    CAR
    1. Lehner, Robin
    2. O'Reilly, Ryan
    3. 2019 3rd round pick (BUF)
    Additional Details:
    Carolina gets their #1 c and starting goalie. Also a future pick probably closer to 63 than 80.
    BUF
    1. Schlemko, David
    2. 2019 2nd round pick (MTL)
    Buried
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$78,000,000$61,720,357$0$1,882,500$16,279,643
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $1,475,000$1,475,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 8
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW
    UFA - 2
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    RW, LW
    RFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    Pick #2, Andrei Svechnikov
    $925,000$925,000
    $850,000$850,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $650,000$650,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $5,600,000$5,600,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $850,000$850,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    Pick #1, Rasmus Dahlin
    $925,000$925,000
    $5,142,857$5,142,857
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,100,000$2,100,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $2,400,000$2,400,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Apr. 29, 2018 at 6:32 p.m.
    putting johan larsson on the 1st line mean zero stars
    wagsnags and wojme liked this.
    Apr. 29, 2018 at 6:35 p.m.
    Not enough going to carolina. Probably have to add a prospect to get there. I would add anyone not named mittlestadt- like guhle, nylander, or asplund. I would say ror is probably worth a 10oa, lehner and a third doesnt get you to 2. So nylander, a recent 8oa coming off of a disappointing injury and season or one of the second rounders thats developing nicely.
    Apr. 29, 2018 at 6:37 p.m.
    Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
    putting johan larsson on the 1st line mean zero stars

Actually Larsson should not be on any line unless that line is in Rochester.... then maybe the 3rd or 4th line at best!!!
    Apr. 29, 2018 at 9:41 p.m.
    Quoting: wagsnags
    Actually Larsson should not be on any line unless that line is in Rochester.... then maybe the 3rd or 4th line at best!!!

Yeah but you have zero opt.ions right now. I didn’t want to make a 5 trade thread because it’s extremely unlikely. Maybe I could have brought in one more guy, but the lines should be balanced. I could have tried Okposo on the left, but that’s not very pretty either. Maybe Pominville 1st lw and bump Larsson to line 4. Seems like a better option, what would you think about that?
    Apr. 29, 2018 at 9:55 p.m.
    Quoting: FryesLeapMaine
    Yeah but you have zero opt.ions right now. I didn’t want to make a 5 trade thread because it’s extremely unlikely. Maybe I could have brought in one more guy, but the lines should be balanced. I could have tried Okposo on the left, but that’s not very pretty either. Maybe Pominville 1st lw and bump Larsson to line 4. Seems like a better option, what would you think about that?

Girgensons, Nylander & Smith are better suited on the first line before Larsson.... though I would prefer Nylander on the 3rd line with Mittelstadt.

So I guess Girgensons or Smith.... but your team has left you 14 Million of cap space.... I would look to sign Vanel even if you overpay for 2 years and insert him on that first line to start the year.

I think your bigger need on your team is a 2C. Mittlestadt needs to be the #3C for 18/19 to let him mature and development. Do not increase the expectations & pressure on the kid. You might consider signing Riley Nash to fill that #2C position.
    Apr. 29, 2018 at 10:16 p.m.
    Girgensons, Nylander & Smith are better suited on the first line before Larsson.... though I would prefer Nylander on the 3rd line with Mittelstadt.

So I guess Girgensons or Smith.... but your team has left you 14 Million of cap space.... I would look to sign Vanel even if you overpay for 2 years and insert him on that first line to start the year.

I think your bigger need on your team is a 2C. Mittlestadt needs to be the #3C for 18/19 to let him mature and development. Do not increase the expectations & pressure on the kid. You might consider signing Riley Nash to fill that #2C position.

Riley nash is no 2nd liner.... hello sir bruins fan here! He’s like a step up from girgensons his entire career until this year, but he got points from playing with elite 1st and 2nd liners this year due to injuries. He’s a solid guy I can’t say enough about how he’s played this season, but if you’re putting him with C.J. smith and Pominville prepare for 25 points out of him. I can’t Think you’d want that for the 3m+ it’d take to sign him.

Yeah I didn’t sign anyone because I think you need to add one more top 5 guy. Either that or you need an all star goalie to make the playoffs. Falling in between doesn’t help as much... do you really want to end up the 12th worst team just to say you won more games? I’d rather have the top 5 guy because he’s going to form a quad of stars with Eichel, mittelstadt, Dahlin and player x. That’s the ticket to the dance imo.

Fill in around them with ufa in one seasons time when you have 20m cap. Then another 5m player brought in when bogo leaves. I’m hoping JBott was the foresight to tank one more season and then make a giant push for the playoffs. It was much more interesting playing buffalo 5 times a year when they were competitive with Boston. Vanek is the biggest bruins slayer so maybe mittelstadt or player x could become that as well.
    Apr. 29, 2018 at 11:32 p.m.
    Quoting: FryesLeapMaine
    Riley nash is no 2nd liner.... hello sir bruins fan here! He’s like a step up from girgensons his entire career until this year, but he got points from playing with elite 1st and 2nd liners this year due to injuries. He’s a solid guy I can’t say enough about how he’s played this season, but if you’re putting him with C.J. smith and Pominville prepare for 25 points out of him. I can’t Think you’d want that for the 3m+ it’d take to sign him.

Yeah I didn’t sign anyone because I think you need to add one more top 5 guy. Either that or you need an all star goalie to make the playoffs. Falling in between doesn’t help as much... do you really want to end up the 12th worst team just to say you won more games? I’d rather have the top 5 guy because he’s going to form a quad of stars with Eichel, mittelstadt, Dahlin and player x. That’s the ticket to the dance imo.

Fill in around them with ufa in one seasons time when you have 20m cap. Then another 5m player brought in when bogo leaves. I’m hoping JBott was the foresight to tank one more season and then make a giant push for the playoffs. It was much more interesting playing buffalo 5 times a year when they were competitive with Boston. Vanek is the biggest bruins slayer so maybe mittelstadt or player x could become that as well.

1. I am not looking for Nash to be the answer I am just looking for him to play a role which is to allow Mittelstadt to develop without expectation or pressure;

2. I am not looking for the nor do I expect the Sabres to even come close to contending for a playoff spot. The Sabres are a minimum of 2 years away from competing for a playoff spot;

3. Per point #2 the Sabres do not need a top end goalie. Let Ullmark assume the role of #1 and let him develop;

4. Per point #2 you are not in search of the answer in 18/19 you need Eichel to mature into his role as captain, Mittelstadt needs to develop his game in the big leagues, Guhle same as Mittelstadt, Nylander see Guhle & Mittelstadt, Risto needs to stop playing 25+ minutes a game & Dahlin do not make the same mistake as you did with jack and putting the pressure and expectation that HE is the savior;

5. That is why I do not think you deal ROR unless you get a deal that is very very sweet & your deal does that;

6. Larsson is not the answer actually he is one who needs to move on..... his game is not what you want your young core to see as the example;

7. You can look to grab a top 5 free agent but I think that is too much risk instead develop the talent you have in your system.... Asplund, Olofosson, CJ Smith, Rodrigues & pick #32 from the 2018 draft;

8. I would say put a trade together for Hagelin and let him be your #1LW with Jack;

Thanks for the back and forth I enjoy the discussion and debate.
    Apr. 30, 2018 at 12:09 a.m.
    1. I am not looking for Nash to be the answer I am just looking for him to play a role which is to allow Mittelstadt to develop without expectation or pressure;

2. I am not looking for the nor do I expect the Sabres to even come close to contending for a playoff spot. The Sabres are a minimum of 2 years away from competing for a playoff spot;

3. Per point #2 the Sabres do not need a top end goalie. Let Ullmark assume the role of #1 and let him develop;

4. Per point #2 you are not in search of the answer in 18/19 you need Eichel to mature into his role as captain, Mittelstadt needs to develop his game in the big leagues, Guhle same as Mittelstadt, Nylander see Guhle & Mittelstadt, Risto needs to stop playing 25+ minutes a game & Dahlin do not make the same mistake as you did with jack and putting the pressure and expectation that HE is the savior;

5. That is why I do not think you deal ROR unless you get a deal that is very very sweet & your deal does that;

6. Larsson is not the answer actually he is one who needs to move on..... his game is not what you want your young core to see as the example;

7. You can look to grab a top 5 free agent but I think that is too much risk instead develop the talent you have in your system.... Asplund, Olofosson, CJ Smith, Rodrigues & pick #32 from the 2018 draft;

8. I would say put a trade together for Hagelin and let him be your #1LW with Jack;

I did an updated mock signing bozak to a 3 year deal. The team looks solid imo if everyone plays an honest game. With the svechnikov deal you already have your 4th stud so the team is ready to “compete” finishing around 8th worst. That’s another good player but everyone just getting to play in a better role is solid.

I like the Hagelin idea, he’s probably very cheap but an nhler. I put Larsson top line to balance the skill on each line. He could easily be carried by Eichel and Reinhart to a 35 point season imo if he kept up.

Stacking one line doesn’t work. If they don’t do great there’s basically no chance to win. Boston May have the best line in hockey, but line 2 had 2x .69 ppg players and a .61 player and then a .61, .58, .54 on line 3. Each line has potential to score is my point. I’m sure you’re aware that a .50 ppg player is a 40 pointer so they have really diverse scoring potential.

Buffalo needs to save cap too...Dahlin, mittelstadt, Guhle, Nylander and in this scenario svechnikov... that’s like 26m
    if you gave mittelstadt, Dahlin and svechnikov 6m deals leaving 4m for Nylander and Guhle.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll