Forums/Armchair-GM

CGY/DET/CBJ/SJS Trades.

Created by: Sagecoll
Team: 2018-19 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 6, 2018
Published: Jun. 7, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
1) https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/4/26/17275610/nhl-trades-new-york-rangers-what-is-mats-zuccarellos-trade-value
2) Pick Swap with Detroit who apparently really like Kotkaniemi. They get AA out, who both sides want see out of there, traded for Vesey who scored more goals last year and add a 3rd to go with it. And will probably save about a mil on the contract.
3) Milano is having a tough time breaking the lineup with Torts. He gets dealt to his hometown for Spooner who is essentially Vanek-lite with more cost control and slightly better defense. They take it.
4) San Jose looking to shed a winger and salary to make a run at Tavares. Labanc goes to his home to NYC. San Jose sheds 4+ mil and gets a top 4 d-guy. I think they say yes.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$1,000,000
5$4,800,000
5$4,800,000
4$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$5,700,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Andersson, Rasmus
  2. Frolík, Michael ($2,000,000 retained)
CGY
  1. Day, Sean
  2. Zuccarello, Mats ($2,000,000 retained)
NYR
  1. 2018 1st round pick (DET)
  2. 2018 1st round pick (VGK)
Additional Details:
Rights to AA
DET
  1. 2018 1st round pick (TBL)
  2. 2018 1st round pick (NYR)
  3. 2018 3rd round pick (BOS)
Additional Details:
Rights to Jimmy Vesey
NYR
  1. Milano, Sonny
  2. 2018 3rd round pick (CBJ)
CBJ
  1. 2019 4th round pick (NYR)
Additional Details:
Rights to Ryan Spooner
SJS
  1. Pionk, Neal
  2. 2018 5th round pick (NYR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$80,000,000$74,616,942$0$2,397,500$5,383,058
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,800,000$4,800,000
C
UFA - 1
$717,500$717,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$2,300,000$2,300,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 3
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LD
UFA - 6
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
D
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 2
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 7, 2018 at 10:59 a.m.
dudedude336
I like a lot of these, fair for both sides. However, with CAL, why have them retain on Frolik? NYR would do well with a pick from them instead IMO.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 11:07 a.m.
Quoting: dudedude336
I like a lot of these, fair for both sides. However, with CAL, why have them retain on Frolik? NYR would do well with a pick from them instead IMO.

CGY doesn't have a lot of picks to trade. They're more inclined to retain. And I think at around 2 mil, Frolik is a nice middle 6 guy to have for 2 years during rebuild.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 11:24 a.m.
dudedude336
Quoting: Sagecoll
CGY doesn't have a lot of picks to trade. They're more inclined to retain. And I think at around 2 mil, Frolik is a nice middle 6 guy to have for 2 years during rebuild.

True, although you have both parties retaining 2m. Would that not be a null point?

edit* I realized Matts only has 1 year vs Frolik's 2 remaining. So it would not be null. NYR comes out ahead next year. I get what you were doing now.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
I like a lot of this. However, I don't think they move Pionk. He really looks like he's piecing together what it takes to play in the NHL and his hockey senses are really starting to show. I think the front office is pretty stoked about him at the moment. I think they'll at least check him out at camp. I don't think he moves during the off season.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 11:40 a.m.
Milano has a much higher ceiling. CBJ pass.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 11:41 a.m.
Quoting: saysthemachine
I like a lot of this. However, I don't think they move Pionk. He really looks like he's piecing together what it takes to play in the NHL and his hockey senses are really starting to show. I think the front office is pretty stoked about him at the moment. I think they'll at least check him out at camp. I don't think he moves during the off season.

I think you're right. Front office looks like they like him more than I do. But also I personally value forwards more than defensemen overall, and I think our system is already pretty stocked with defensemen and short on wingers.. I think this is good value for him. I'm looking at younger, top 6, cost controlled guys coming back for him (Labanc, Puljujarvi, Lehkonen, etc)
saysthemachine liked this.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
Quoting: Jacketsman61
Milano has a much higher ceiling. CBJ pass.

What do you think is fair value? Most Blue Jackets I've talked to put his value as a 2nd Rounder, which is what Spooners value is.

For example, Milano is the same age as Duclair who just happened to play the same amount of games and put up the same amount of points as him and has the same contractual situation. The difference is 2 fold.

1) Duclair has a 40+ point season on his resume.
2) Duclair puts up positive possession numbers and is a good defender.

Duclair just got traded for Richard Panik. That's about Milano's value at best. What do Panik's last 2 years look like: 1.78 Points/60. What do Spooner's last 2 years look like: 1.78 Points/60.

Milano isn't going to develop under Torts (he was healthy scratch for Dubinsky), let him go free and as a consolation take a 40+ point guy.
saysthemachine liked this.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
I think you're right. Front office looks like they like him more than I do. But also I personally value forwards more than defensemen overall, and I think our system is already pretty stocked with defensemen and short on wingers.. I think this is good value for him. I'm looking at younger, top 6, cost controlled guys coming back for him (Labanc, Puljujarvi, Lehkonen, etc)

I think they’re gonna give Tambellini, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Howden, Ronning, Gettinger, and Lettieri a shot at camp as well. Because we have so many potential centers, I suspect that some that shine would be given a chance to at least go through preseason at the wing.

The success that Vegas has had I think will be influencing teams to give more of their guys longer looks. And since everyone is going younger and reaching out into Europe for potential hidden gems, I honestly think we’ll see the Rangers keep their young guys on 2-way deals at least for this upcoming season.

A few of the guys I mentioned above were major-junior/AHL/Euro studs in the last few years, so I can only hope they get a shot. I don’t think we have any defensemen that we can say the same about in our farm system at the moment, since we brought Pionk, Gilmour and DeAngelo up.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 12:13 p.m.
From a Rangers fan perspective, I like these trades, except the last one. I'm not a fan of trading Pionk, I think he had a good showing during the dumpster fire, so I'd like to see how he'd play in a full season. Also, why make Calgary retain if we're gonna suck for his 2 years, he can be traded at next year's deadline anyways though. That might make Calgary lower the price, and then we could keep Day and dish out another prospect instead.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: ShattenkirkIsARanger
From a Rangers fan perspective, I like these trades, except the last one. I'm not a fan of trading Pionk, I think he had a good showing during the dumpster fire, so I'd like to see how he'd play in a full season. Also, why make Calgary retain if we're gonna suck for his 2 years, he can be traded at next year's deadline anyways though. That might make Calgary lower the price, and then we could keep Day and dish out another prospect instead.

1) I don't love Pionk. But that's just personal. Strongly prefer Deangelo/Gilmour unlike a lot of people. Deeper analytics show a pretty terrible hockey player. But point totals are great. Could go either way. But I think his value is highest at this very moment, and I think we need Wingers more than Defensemen.

2) Retaining to have Cap room to resign all the young guys I just signed (you'll see next year we gotta sign Buch, Labanc, Deangelo, and Milano) and I want half of those guys locked up for 5+ years.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 12:36 p.m.
Quoting: saysthemachine
I think they’re gonna give Tambellini, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Howden, Ronning, Gettinger, and Lettieri a shot at camp as well. Because we have so many potential centers, I suspect that some that shine would be given a chance to at least go through preseason at the wing.

The success that Vegas has had I think will be influencing teams to give more of their guys longer looks. And since everyone is going younger and reaching out into Europe for potential hidden gems, I honestly think we’ll see the Rangers keep their young guys on 2-way deals at least for this upcoming season.

A few of the guys I mentioned above were major-junior/AHL/Euro studs in the last few years, so I can only hope they get a shot. I don’t think we have any defensemen that we can say the same about in our farm system at the moment, since we brought Pionk, Gilmour and DeAngelo up.

"Giving young guys a chance" or "Exploring European players more" is frankly a lazy conclusion to draw from Vegas' success.

Vegas' success is mainly from a few things:

1) Rip off Stupid GM's into giving you studs.

2) Go After High Possession Players who just never got appropriate minutes (Miller, McNabb, Schmidt were all top Possession players last year, while Marchessault, Perron, Haula, Neal and Smith were all some of the top Possession skaters for the past few years), pair these top guys with speedy players. And give those guys top minutes while leaving your slower, bigger guys on the bottom line.

3) Have absolute stud prospects. Tuch and Theodore were top prospects.

4) Have a coach that embraces a possession/carry heavy game plan.

So what have we done here:

1) Got rid of low possession defenseman (Pionk)
2) Added High Possession Skaters (JVR/Frolik/Labanc)
3) Brought in Speedy guys to complement high possession guys (AA/Milano)
4) Move Low possession guys to the bottom pair (Staal)

It remains to be seen if Quinn is a good coach for this team. But this roster as you see it here can certainly be a playoff one.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 1:50 p.m.
"Giving young guys a chance" or "Exploring European players more" is frankly a lazy conclusion to draw from Vegas' success.

Vegas' success is mainly from a few things:

1) Rip off Stupid GM's into giving you studs.

2) Go After High Possession Players who just never got appropriate minutes (Miller, McNabb, Schmidt were all top Possession players last year, while Marchessault, Perron, Haula, Neal and Smith were all some of the top Possession skaters for the past few years), pair these top guys with speedy players. And give those guys top minutes while leaving your slower, bigger guys on the bottom line.

3) Have absolute stud prospects. Tuch and Theodore were top prospects.

4) Have a coach that embraces a possession/carry heavy game plan.

So what have we done here:

1) Got rid of low possession defenseman (Pionk)
2) Added High Possession Skaters (JVR/Frolik/Labanc)
3) Brought in Speedy guys to complement high possession guys (AA/Milano)
4) Move Low possession guys to the bottom pair (Staal)

It remains to be seen if Quinn is a good coach for this team. But this roster as you see it here can certainly be a playoff one.

You're right, this is definitely a playoff team. I just don't see them moving Pionk.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 3:50 p.m.
What do you think is fair value? Most Blue Jackets I've talked to put his value as a 2nd Rounder, which is what Spooners value is.

For example, Milano is the same age as Duclair who just happened to play the same amount of games and put up the same amount of points as him and has the same contractual situation. The difference is 2 fold.

1) Duclair has a 40+ point season on his resume.
2) Duclair puts up positive possession numbers and is a good defender.

Duclair just got traded for Richard Panik. That's about Milano's value at best. What do Panik's last 2 years look like: 1.78 Points/60. What do Spooner's last 2 years look like: 1.78 Points/60.

Milano isn't going to develop under Torts (he was healthy scratch for Dubinsky), let him go free and as a consolation take a 40+ point guy.

Milano still has first round value. He has gotten much of a chance to consistently play. Down the stretch of the regular season he was playing as one of our best players. The Jackets just aren’t willing to give up on him.
Jun. 7, 2018 at 3:59 p.m.
Next Gen
Very good but i think NYR can get more out of calgary maybe another defensive prospect as they have tons of good ones instead of frolik as nyr have tons of forwards already they dont need a vet to take up a spot for one of their rookies but getting someone like Juuso Välimäki instead of anderson straight up for zucc is fair and suits both teams needs.
Jun. 8, 2018 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: Bloodykisame
Very good but i think NYR can get more out of calgary maybe another defensive prospect as they have tons of good ones instead of frolik as nyr have tons of forwards already they dont need a vet to take up a spot for one of their rookies but getting someone like Juuso Välimäki instead of anderson straight up for zucc is fair and suits both teams needs.

Andersson > Fox > Valimaki is my valuation. If yours is different, cool. But I took what I thought was the best available one.
Jun. 8, 2018 at 12:19 a.m.
Quoting: Jacketsman61
Milano still has first round value. He has gotten much of a chance to consistently play. Down the stretch of the regular season he was playing as one of our best players. The Jackets just aren’t willing to give up on him.

Oof, 2 possibilities here:

1) You didn't read the clearly constructed argument

2) You don't want to believe that Torts doesn't care for Milano and it's best to move on and take what you can get.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll