Forums/Armchair-GM

MTL Draft Trade; Car according to rumors, and JT

Created by: ChiHawk
Team: 2018-19 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 13, 2018
Published: Jun. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
MTL wants a Center and they grab one at #8; Katkaniemi for their future 1C. AA fills a gap a Center now. Duclair is one of the fastest wings in the league and only 22, good fit at LW.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,300,000
2$1,200,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,000,000
Zadina, Filip
3$925,000
5$10,750,000
3$2,750,000
4$2,750,000
Trades
CHI
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (CGY)
CHI
  1. 2018 1st round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Anisimov, Artem
  2. Duclair, Anthony
  3. Forsling, Gustav
  4. 2018 1st round pick (CHI)
  5. 2018 1st round pick (NSH)
  6. 2018 3rd round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
MTL gets their future 1C in the #1 ranked center in the draft at #8 pick. The #27 pick and a high 3rd round pick.

Also picking up both Forsling who has huge upside to be a solid 2nd liner, and Duclair at 22 with big upside and one of the fastest skaters in the league.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$80,000,000$68,283,045$1,232,500$1,907,500$11,716,955
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$10,750,000$10,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 5
Zadina, Filip
$925,000$925,000
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$833,750$833,750
C, LW
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 5
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Which trade is better for both sides, Car/Chi or Mtl/Chi?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 13, 2018 at 10:35 p.m.
habs19
Y U building an all-star team?
Jun. 13, 2018 at 10:38 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I think Chicago needs a rebuild over a retool but not going to happen and with big four retiring as hawks there’s some mediocre years ahead then some tough times again but I maybe pleasantly be surprised
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 10:43 p.m.
Quoting: HABS19
Y U building an all-star team?

Are you saying the trades aren't fair?

Not all star. 3rd and 4th lines in the front aren't that great. Defense isn't that great either as Keith and Seabs age. And apparently our goalie is on the lam.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 10:53 p.m.
KeepingItChill
Value wise, not a bad trade, but I'm not quite satisfied. Realisticly, the only player who's going to have an immidiate impact is Anisimov, and even then it's going to be pretty mellow. Duclair is another 3rd line winger thta we are more then capable of filling, Forling is interesting but still needs grooming, and then the picks who won't be NHL ready for another few years. It's okay for a medium rebuild, but not quite what MTL is looking for goign into next year.

Not a bad trade though.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 10:54 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
No I’m just say I would build it differently with a lot of hurt feelings and probably tear the heart out to try to put a cup contender back together a little faster like a toews and Keith to min for staal dumba and prospects and a Kane and seabrook with a pick or prospect to buffalo for oreilly and ristolainen type deals but your way keeps butts in the seats and if everything falls right another run or two
Jun. 13, 2018 at 11:35 p.m.
Quoting: KeepingItChill
Value wise, not a bad trade, but I'm not quite satisfied. Realisticly, the only player who's going to have an immidiate impact is Anisimov, and even then it's going to be pretty mellow. Duclair is another 3rd line winger thta we are more then capable of filling, Forling is interesting but still needs grooming, and then the picks who won't be NHL ready for another few years. It's okay for a medium rebuild, but not quite what MTL is looking for goign into next year.

Not a bad trade though.

I think Duclair is more then a 3rd line LW. He got 1st and 2nd line minutes with the Hawks and just needs to work on positioning and understanding the game plan, this is large in part due to him getting traded around. Remember he had 40+ points in his first full year in AZ at 19 years old and then got injured. When he's playing the positioning, he is a lot of fun to watch with his speed, not afraid to shoot and is strong as an ox. Being a Hawk fan, I'm not sure whether I prefer Hino or Duclair because both have big upsides and can play today on any lines....great switch players as they grow into the game.

Forsling is one of the odd ball players that got in coach Q's doghouse. A lot of Hawks fans are saying he is the future 1st line RHD as Keith declines over the next few seasons and I understand why, but as long as Coach Q is there, that won't happen. MTL can easily move them into their lines right away.

You are right, it depends on what MTL wants. If they want to win now, this isn't the play. If they are preparing for 2 years from now, this is a good move for them. The Hawks with Toews, Keith, Kane, Seabs, Crow need to win now and go for broke.
Jun. 13, 2018 at 11:52 p.m.
habs19
Quoting: ChiHawk
Are you saying the trades aren't fair?

Not all star. 3rd and 4th lines in the front aren't that great. Defense isn't that great either as Keith and Seabs age. And apparently our goalie is on the lam.

no the trades are fine but you cant afford to keep debrincat,schmaltz and zadina
Jun. 13, 2018 at 11:57 p.m.
KeepingItChill
I think Duclair is more then a 3rd line LW. He got 1st and 2nd line minutes with the Hawks and just needs to work on positioning and understanding the game plan, this is large in part due to him getting traded around. Remember he had 40+ points in his first full year in AZ at 19 years old and then got injured. When he's playing the positioning, he is a lot of fun to watch with his speed, not afraid to shoot and is strong as an ox. Being a Hawk fan, I'm not sure whether I prefer Hino or Duclair because both have big upsides and can play today on any lines....great switch players as they grow into the game.

Forsling is one of the odd ball players that got in coach Q's doghouse. A lot of Hawks fans are saying he is the future 1st line RHD as Keith declines over the next few seasons and I understand why, but as long as Coach Q is there, that won't happen. MTL can easily move them into their lines right away.

You are right, it depends on what MTL wants. If they want to win now, this isn't the play. If they are preparing for 2 years from now, this is a good move for them. The Hawks with Toews, Keith, Kane, Seabs, Crow need to win now and go for broke.

I actually have a soft spot for Duclair, but I would go so far as to say that Montreal currently has the deepest NHL ready winger pool in the NHL. Our top 6 wingers are pretty well filled, and whoever isn't in the top 6 spills onto the 3rd line.

I do think a trade can be made between Chicago and Montreal, but if you're saying you want to win now, why make a dive for the 3rd ova?
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:04 a.m.
Edited Jun. 14, 2018 at 1:15 a.m.
no the trades are fine but you cant afford to keep debrincat,schmaltz and zadina

Actually it works out really well next year so it's a good 2 year plan.
Next year they have $13M available for Schmaltz, Sikura, Kampf and Edjsell....Schmaltz should get $5M to $6M. Sikura is the wild card as we really haven't seen what he has. Kampf and Edjsell won't be more then $1M or $2M
The following year is Debrincat but also Faulk and Crawford are up. That will be more challenging but hopefully the defensive prospects in the system have marinated enough to be served. smile
The year after that would be Zadina.

Can you give me a rating based on the equality of the trades?
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:10 a.m.
I actually have a soft spot for Duclair, but I would go so far as to say that Montreal currently has the deepest NHL ready winger pool in the NHL. Our top 6 wingers are pretty well filled, and whoever isn't in the top 6 spills onto the 3rd line.

I do think a trade can be made between Chicago and Montreal, but if you're saying you want to win now, why make a dive for the 3rd ova?

Chicago needs another good puck possession forward and sniper and at a cheap rookie contract to compete. Hawks lost those two things with Hossa and as Sharp aged. The most important part is to get a guy that can have a big impact now and with Debrincat and Schamltz, be the new core for the future.

MTL if they move patches or chucky, duclair could fit in nicely.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:17 a.m.
KeepingItChill
Chicago needs another good puck possession forward and sniper and at a cheap rookie contract to compete. Hawks lost those two things with Hossa and as Sharp aged. The most important part is to get a guy that can have a big impact now and with Debrincat and Schamltz, be the new core for the future.

MTL if they move patches or chucky, duclair could fit in nicely.

Zadina does fit the bill, but Montreal has other players that can fit that role I figure. Galchenyuk is obviously top of the line, but he'll cost an arm and leg before we part with him. Hudon is untouchable too. So that leaves Lehkonen, who had an off year but spent time on the first : Very good shot and release, decent speed, good hands, and has another year left on ELC. Should maybe target him.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:18 a.m.
In Petey we trust
Really fair trade with Montreal. No way Tavares signs with a team way past it's prime. Awful bottom 4 on defense.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:31 a.m.
Both of these trades are pretty decent but I dont think hawks need to sign tavares, espeically if they get riley too. Toews schmaltz riley kampf is really good center depth. Plus it locks up a lot of money in very few players. Id rather bowman use that money to sign an elite winger like jvr or neal (~6m) then a d man like de haan (~4m).

jvr-toews-cat
zadina-schmaltz-kane
same bottom 6
keith-faulk
de haan-seabs/rutta
moore-rutta/seabs
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:32 a.m.
Zadina does fit the bill, but Montreal has other players that can fit that role I figure. Galchenyuk is obviously top of the line, but he'll cost an arm and leg before we part with him. Hudon is untouchable too. So that leaves Lehkonen, who had an off year but spent time on the first : Very good shot and release, decent speed, good hands, and has another year left on ELC. Should maybe target him.

That's a pretty good point you make with Lehkonen, but wonder what he will cost for a trade? The other issue is with Schmatlz and Sikura needing to get resigned next year, and Debrincat the year after, it would help to lock a player in to a ELC for 3 years.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:34 a.m.
Quoting: t4tree
Really fair trade with Montreal. No way Tavares signs with a team way past it's prime. Awful bottom 4 on defense.

Tavares could sign especially to go to the biggest hockey fan base in the NHL, also #1 revenue generating team in the NHL. Rutta isn't all that but we have Jokiharju coming in to take his spot. Gus is actually a really solid 3rd guy. John Moore or Thomas Hickey and both are solid 2nd line guys.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:39 a.m.
Quoting: newman23
Both of these trades are pretty decent but I dont think hawks need to sign tavares, espeically if they get riley too. Toews schmaltz riley kampf is really good center depth. Plus it locks up a lot of money in very few players. Id rather bowman use that money to sign an elite winger like jvr or neal (~6m) then a d man like de haan (~4m).

jvr-toews-cat
zadina-schmaltz-kane
same bottom 6
keith-faulk
de haan-seabs/rutta
moore-rutta/seabs

I am convinced Schmaltz is much better on the wing in a two way kind of way that Hossa is which makes Saad redundant. Schmaltz's FO % is 40%...awful and that is putting a ton of pressure on Toews to play the penalty and contributing to his decline IMO. JT resolves that and brings a awesome FO guy, two way player and penalty player. Besides, with Zadina, Cat, Kane, Schmaltz on the wings, there is no need for JVR or Neal.

To your point, it does cripple us on D a bit, but Jokiharju is coming up and there's also Ian Mitchel and Chad Krys coming up.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 12:51 a.m.
I am convinced Schmaltz is much better on the wing in a two way kind of way that Hossa is which makes Saad redundant. Schmaltz's FO % is 40%...awful and that is putting a ton of pressure on Toews to play the penalty and contributing to his decline IMO. JT resolves that and brings a awesome FO guy, two way player and penalty player. Besides, with Zadina, Cat, Kane, Schmaltz on the wings, there is no need for JVR or Neal.

To your point, it does cripple us on D a bit, but Jokiharju is coming up and there's also Ian Mitchel and Chad Krys coming up.

Agree on the FO point without a doubt, kid needs to improve. But schmaltz is pretty gifted defensively, finished T-6 in the league in takeaways and plays a lot of pk time already. Bringing in a guy like nash gives you a second FO option on the pk and you could pair up schmaltz with either him or toews. And agreed on the young D as well, there are some promising prospects coming up but who knows exactly when and if theyll be nhl ready. I'd rather go out and get another bonafide guy this offseason
Jun. 14, 2018 at 1:10 a.m.
Agree on the FO point without a doubt, kid needs to improve. But schmaltz is pretty gifted defensively, finished T-6 in the league in takeaways and plays a lot of pk time already. Bringing in a guy like nash gives you a second FO option on the pk and you could pair up schmaltz with either him or toews. And agreed on the young D as well, there are some promising prospects coming up but who knows exactly when and if theyll be nhl ready. I'd rather go out and get another bonafide guy this offseason

That's the beauty in Hossa...great two way player and great on the takeaway but played wing...I think Schmaltz can be that guy.

I think De Haan is a big risk and the hawks can't afford Carlsson or Green. So it's Hickey, Moore or Ian Cole. By grabbing Moore (Chicago native) and Faulk I think we improve a bit over Murphy and Forsling especially with Faulk. Moore and Murphy is kind of a wash but Moore has played top line minutes with NJ and has played on the penalty. Rutta isn't bad and Gus I really like. Hopefully Jokiharju can come up and replace Rutta.

Tavares far outweighs any free agent D guy we can pick up and even a JVR and another free agent D guy won't have the impact of JT. But this conversation is a good discussion for sure.

Can you give a vote or a couple stars smile
Jun. 14, 2018 at 1:28 a.m.
That's the beauty in Hossa...great two way player and great on the takeaway but played wing...I think Schmaltz can be that guy.

I think De Haan is a big risk and the hawks can't afford Carlsson or Green. So it's Hickey, Moore or Ian Cole. By grabbing Moore (Chicago native) and Faulk I think we improve a bit over Murphy and Forsling especially with Faulk. Moore and Murphy is kind of a wash but Moore has played top line minutes with NJ and has played on the penalty. Rutta isn't bad and Gus I really like. Hopefully Jokiharju can come up and replace Rutta.

Tavares far outweighs any free agent D guy we can pick up and even a JVR and another free agent D guy won't have the impact of JT. But this conversation is a good discussion for sure.

Can you give a vote or a couple stars smile

Lofty comparison but the way he can pick a pocket then turn around and immediately make a play is reminiscent of some hossa/datsyuk highlights.

I like Moore as well, but on a deep, cup contending team hes ideally a bottom pair guy, not your #3/4. I think youre underrating Rutta, before he got injured last season he looked great. can do a bit of everything and makes quick decisions. I have high expectation for him this season. If the chicago goes the route op did I think hawks might wanna try pairing keith with rutta like q did for a little while last year and moore or murphy w faulk to spread out the minutes and comfortably roll 2 pairs against teams top players. I'm not a big fan of gus. Has tons of offensive skill but turns the puck over a lot trying to force plays and is inconsistent in his own end
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 1:35 a.m.
Lofty comparison but the way he can pick a pocket then turn around and immediately make a play is reminiscent of some hossa/datsyuk highlights.

I like Moore as well, but on a deep, cup contending team hes ideally a bottom pair guy, not your #3/4. I think youre underrating Rutta, before he got injured last season he looked great. can do a bit of everything and makes quick decisions. I have high expectation for him this season. If the chicago goes the route op did I think hawks might wanna try pairing keith with rutta like q did for a little while last year and moore or murphy w faulk to spread out the minutes and comfortably roll 2 pairs against teams top players. I'm not a big fan of gus. Has tons of offensive skill but turns the puck over a lot trying to force plays and is inconsistent in his own end

Agreed on everything you just pointed out but we swamp opinions on Gus and Rutta. I think Gus really started coming into his own at the end of the season, he's fast and has great hands, but yes I think he struggles with trying to force plays and not letting the game come to him. He had slightly better stats then Rutta too as points per game, penalty points and shooting %. Rutta though has more physicality to his game which the Hawks lack.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 1:49 a.m.
Agreed on everything you just pointed out but we swamp opinions on Gus and Rutta. I think Gus really started coming into his own at the end of the season, he's fast and has great hands, but yes I think he struggles with trying to force plays and not letting the game come to him. He had slightly better stats then Rutta too as points per game, penalty points and shooting %. Rutta though has more physicality to his game which the Hawks lack.

Gus has flashes of brilliance for sure, but sometimes he reminds me of that kid in pick up bball whos not that great but sinks two nice shots in a row and all of sudden thinks he can take it up the court and pop 3's every play. Just needs to learn to be more disciplined. Rutta is a little older too but I think his defensive instincts are a lot stronger than gus. Even though it was his first season on north american ice his gap control is great and he makes smart first passes. And like you mentioned hell toss the body every now and again
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.
habs19
ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 14, 2018 at 2:08 p.m.

Thank you for the vote, appreciate it!
HABS19 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation