Forums/Armchair-GM

Look at the team, then the trades. Phi, NYI, Buf, Edm

Created by: Eli
Team: 2018-19 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 15, 2018
Published: Jun. 15, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Already hammered out these trades (except EDM, but that can be to anywhere, or just try waivers again). Looking at whether these three trades together, with a fair amount of UFA luck, can keep the Caps in contention for a few more years, while Ovechkin and Backstrom are still under contract.

Orpik was a beast all through the playoffs: 2nd most hits, 2nd most blocks, gwg, game changing assists to eliminate Columbus and Vegas. Gambling on his 38 year old season is risky, though. If they can get a similarly enigmatic kid in MDC for him, they need to replace 200 hits a year (Hagg, Komarov) a bit of a tendency to play the star (Komarov) and a tendency to come up with huge goals in the playoffs (Calvert). I wound up with a higher total cap hit, and had to send Gersich to the AHL, but I think it keeps the Caps window open while trading Orpik to get younger. Agree? Disagree? Thanks!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$3,001,002
6$2,501,202
3$1,001,202
4$1,501,202
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,001,002
1$800,100
Gusev, Nikita
3$950,101
7$3,001,002
2$1,501,202
2$1,501,202
3$2,000,102
Trades
WSH
  1. Dal Colle, Michael
  2. 2018 2nd round pick (NYI)
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (NYI)
  4. 2020 4th round pick (NYI)
NYI
  1. Orpik, Brooks
Additional Details:
Grubauer, Philipp (RFA)
WSH
  1. Vecchione, Michael
Additional Details:
Hagg, Robert (RFA) to replace Orpik's hits and minutes
WSH
  1. 2018 2nd round pick (BUF)
WSH
  1. 2019 7th round pick (EDM)
WSH
    RFA Rights to Nikita Gusev.
    VGK
    1. 2018 4th round pick (WSH)
    Additional Details:
    RFA rights to Travis Boyd and RIley Barber.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the NYI
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the WSH
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$80,000,000$70,146,847$82,500$2,800,000$9,853,153
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    $9,538,462$9,538,462
    LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    Gusev, Nikita
    $950,101$950,101
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $6,700,000$6,700,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 7
    $3,001,002$3,001,002
    LW, RW
    UFA - 3
    $2,415,000$2,415,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $3,001,002$3,001,002
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $1,501,202$1,501,202
    RW, LW, C
    UFA - 4
    $2,000,102$2,000,102
    C
    UFA - 4
    $1,501,202$1,501,202
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,200,000$2M)
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $650,000$650,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $2,501,202$2,501,202
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $6,100,000$6,100,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $650,000$650,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $8,001,002$8,001,002
    RD
    UFA - 8
    $650,000$650,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $1,275,000$1,275,000
    LD
    UFA - 5
    $1,001,202$1,001,202
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $1,501,202$1,501,202
    LD
    UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 11:37 a.m.
    Like the Philly trade as a Philly fan.
    Eli liked this.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 11:49 a.m.
    Gusev is still under contract with St. Petersburg and even if he wasn't Vegas has his rights so we'd have to trade something to get him.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 11:52 a.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: ExpiredmilkYT
    Like the Philly trade as a Philly fan.

Thanks. I'm trying to study more of a Chicago model of what to do with a winning team under a salary cap. The Pittsburgh model, where you just sign everybody you have to ridiculously cheap contracts, and then some kid from your minor league team turns into an all star? That's cool, too, if it happens, but it goes beyond the scope of pretending to be a GM, and into the realm of prayer.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:01 p.m.
    Matt Calvert? For 7 years? Just why?
    Eli liked this.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:03 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    This post is cool. I just added some footnotes to help.

Quoting: bags92
    Gusev is still under contract with St. Petersburg(1) and even if he wasn't Vegas has his rights (2) so we'd have to trade something to get him (3).

1. but he can buy out the remainder of his contract for cash: https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/6/21/15846406/translation-are-nikita-gusevs-rights-getting-traded-to-vegas-from-sovsport-ru Until there's a player transfer agreement or anything that acknowledges the KHL really exists in the NHL's CBA, I assume the Caps could also buy out that contract without incurring any salary cap penalty.

2. Until July 1st.

3. Or wait a long, arduous, heartbreaking two weeks and two days. But who's counting.

The real question is whether he can unseat WIlson for a top line role right away, so he doesn't face a language barrier on the ice. Hopefully, but I feel like Backstrom has helped at least one other Russian speaking winger overcome a similar language barrier, and remained pretty good friends.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:09 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: ruahone
    Matt Calvert? For 7 years? Just why?

To outbid the Columbus fans offering him one or two years at 4M, without ending up with Matt Calvert at 4M? Maybe it's just hair of the dog...

But in 16 career playoff games he's got 10 points, 47 hits and 9 shot blocks, incluing a shortie and an OTGWG this Spring. I think he replaces Orpik's clutch playoff scoring.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:11 p.m.
    Nobody will realistically pay that amount for a fourthliner. He's also very injury prone and Orpik wasn't that good before the finals, he made pretty awful plays and is 100% bought out this summer.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:27 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: ruahone
    Nobody will realistically pay that amount for a fourthliner. He's also very injury prone and Orpik wasn't that good before the finals, he made pretty awful plays and is 100% bought out this summer.

He eliminated Columbus with a two point night. Feel free to read through my recent comments for his other achievements. You're wrong, but I have a life.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:38 p.m.
    ??? ffs, you take 2 good games from him in the playoffs and that makes him a hero? This is just no logical absurd signings with no thought behind them. Truth hurts.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 12:40 p.m.
    Eichel Tower
    Botterill tells MacLellan, let's make a deal!! cheers
    Eli liked this.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 1:19 p.m.
    Quoting: Eli
    This post is cool. I just added some footnotes to help.

1. but he can buy out the remainder of his contract for cash: https://www.rawcharge.com/2017/6/21/15846406/translation-are-nikita-gusevs-rights-getting-traded-to-vegas-from-sovsport-ru Until there's a player transfer agreement or anything that acknowledges the KHL really exists in the NHL's CBA, I assume the Caps could also buy out that contract without incurring any salary cap penalty.

2. Until July 1st.

3. Or wait a long, arduous, heartbreaking two weeks and two days. But who's counting.

The real question is whether he can unseat WIlson for a top line role right away, so he doesn't face a language barrier on the ice. Hopefully, but I feel like Backstrom has helped at least one other Russian speaking winger overcome a similar language barrier, and remained pretty good friends.

I'm a big Gusev guy as well and I would love to see him with the Caps. But I Just don't see him playing outside of the KHL this year and obviously there's the acquiring his rights issue as well. And he's never played a game in the NHL I think it would be pretty wishful thinking to project him as a first liner, even with his production in the KHL. Although I think he'd be a welcomed addition on a line with guys like Vrana/Burakvosky and Eller.

I'd love to be wrong on all of this, but I just feel there's too many obstacles to overcome there.
    Eli liked this.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    I'm a big Gusev guy as well and I would love to see him with the Caps. But I Just don't see him playing outside of the KHL this year and obviously there's the acquiring his rights issue as well. And he's never played a game in the NHL I think it would be pretty wishful thinking to project him as a first liner, even with his production in the KHL. Although I think he'd be a welcomed addition on a line with guys like Vrana/Burakvosky and Eller.

I'd love to be wrong on all of this, but I just feel there's too many obstacles to overcome there.

Well, he was second in scoring in the KHL, and speaks Russian. If Ovechkin and Kuznetsov could win a Cup playing with recent third-liner Tom Wilson, I think they can get a little bit of offense going with a really talented prospect. And if you aren't going to read something, why bother quoting it?
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 1:56 p.m.
    Well, he was second in scoring in the KHL, and speaks Russian. If Ovechkin and Kuznetsov could win a Cup playing with recent third-liner Tom Wilson, I think they can get a little bit of offense going with a really talented prospect. And if you aren't going to read something, why bother quoting it?

You used a fan run SB nation post from a year ago as reference. Vegas owns Gusev's rights. The Capitals would have to give up something in order to acquire him. He is under contract in the KHL. These are facts.

I like the guy too, and I'd love to see him in D.C. but you can't just walk around the facts and pretend the Caps can just sign him right now. it would be difficult.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:03 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    You used a fan run SB nation post from a year ago as reference. Vegas owns Gusev's rights. The Capitals would have to give up something in order to acquire him. He is under contract in the KHL. These are facts.

I like the guy too, and I'd love to see him in D.C. but you can't just walk around the facts and pretend the Caps can just sign him right now. it would be difficult.

Yes. Vegas control his NHL rights..... as I agreed with you above....

2. Until July 1st.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:04 p.m.
    One year of Brett Connolly isn't worth pick #32 to me, Sabres have cheaper ways to address their wing problems.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quoting: Shootica
    One year of Brett Connolly isn't worth pick #32 to me, Sabres have cheaper ways to address their wing problems.

Makes sense. But he's eligible to sign a contract extension on July 1st.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:14 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Edited Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:37 p.m.
    Quoting: OshietheBeast
    ??? ffs, you take 2 good games from him in the playoffs and that makes him a hero? This is just no logical absurd signings with no thought behind them. Truth hurts.

His six year streak of first round wins was extended when his primary assist to Ovechkin gave the Caps the lead. It started off his own stick, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8I7qIkugQ

I think he was the hero of two games in the Cup finals this year. His keep=in/primary assist to DSP tied up game five, Eller scored 2 minutes later and the next twelve minutes consisted of Caps forwards icing the puck, winning faceoffs, and icing the puck again so Orpik and Niskanen could rest. He averaged only 16 minutes in the playoffs but got up to 20 in game five. Find me the shift chart if I'm wrong, but I think half of that was in the third period.

That was not a good game. It was a dominant performance for the ages.

Also, while you're finding me links, find me any list of the worst trades in Chicago history that doesn't mention trading a 37 year old Chris Chelios, with only one Cup ring, not even in the last decade, for picks and a prospect. Trading Orpik would be questionable. Buying him out would be ridiculous.

But as I said above, in the title and the description, this is a trade from an Islanders fan: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/731339

I'm just building a team to ask if it works if these trades, posted by fans of other teams, collectively work for the Caps. If you think this team is as good as this past year, please just say "yes."

Or if you hate the Caps and hate Orpik, and want them to be stuck with him, by all means, go tell the Islanders you think he'd be worse than the older, more injured, less talented, less tough defense they had this year, when they almost made the playoffs. He'd be a great fit there, and a great mentor to Pulock, and he'd stop Mr. Futility from being their only left handed stay at home option, and you're trolling. So stop trolling.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:15 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    and of course there's "the shift:" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpBXdefDulU
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:17 p.m.
    Yes. Vegas control his NHL rights..... as I agreed with you above....

Quote from Elliotte Friedman

"Nikita Gusev’s KHL contract ends, and he’s Vegas property. The tricky thing is Gusev will be one week shy of his 27th birthday on July 1, 2019. So, if he waits an extra year, he can pick his own spot as an unrestricted free agent."

According to this information, Gusev will still be Vegas property through this upcoming season which means the Caps would have to trade to obtain his rights, and he wouldn't be a UFA until next year July 8th on his 27th birthday.

And regardless of all this, I would be shocked if he plays outside of the KHL this year. He has played his whole career in Russia and hasn't expressed a ton of interest in coming to the NHL. I think he plays out his contract.
    Eli liked this.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 2:29 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Quote from Elliotte Friedman

"Nikita Gusev’s KHL contract ends, and he’s Vegas property. The tricky thing is Gusev will be one week shy of his 27th birthday on July 1, 2019. So, if he waits an extra year, he can pick his own spot as an unrestricted free agent."

According to this information, Gusev will still be Vegas property through this upcoming season which means the Caps would have to trade to obtain his rights, and he wouldn't be a UFA until next year July 8th on his 27th birthday.

And regardless of all this, I would be shocked if he plays outside of the KHL this year. He has played his whole career in Russia and hasn't expressed a ton of interest in coming to the NHL. I think he plays out his contract.

Thank you for digging that up. I will try to stop signing him, cool as it would be. I doubt McPhee is trying to trade his rights to the Caps right now, and I don't have much else I'd part with.... maybe rights to Boyd and Barber, and a 4th? I think McPhee screwed up his chances at Gusev by sending Shipachyov to the minors. That's a totally normal and reasonable thing for a GM to do with a rookie, but Ship didnt' see himself as a rookie, and it let Gusev see how he'll be treated in Vegas too. So Vegas should totally shop Gusev's rights and move on.

His value is really tough to figure out from his last trade. "His rights were traded to Vegas with a 2nd and a 4th round pick in exchange for selecting Jason Garrison (and his contract) instead of players like Slater Koekkoek, Jake Dotchin, Cedric Paquette, or J.T. Brown." (https://sinbin.vegas/when-if-ever-will-nikita-gusev-become-a-golden-knight/) . Garrison earned 4M for playing unremarkably in the AHL, so maybe the 2nd was for taking Garrison, the 4th for not taking Paquette, and Gusev was a throw-in because TBL were having no luck with him either, but he seemed to provide good value, on paper? Whatever, I'd go to Boyd, Barber, and a 3rd.

Do you think that gets close, or it basically just never happens?
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 3:17 p.m.
    Thank you for digging that up. I will try to stop signing him, cool as it would be. I doubt McPhee is trying to trade his rights to the Caps right now, and I don't have much else I'd part with.... maybe rights to Boyd and Barber, and a 4th? I think McPhee screwed up his chances at Gusev by sending Shipachyov to the minors. That's a totally normal and reasonable thing for a GM to do with a rookie, but Ship didnt' see himself as a rookie, and it let Gusev see how he'll be treated in Vegas too. So Vegas should totally shop Gusev's rights and move on.

His value is really tough to figure out from his last trade. "His rights were traded to Vegas with a 2nd and a 4th round pick in exchange for selecting Jason Garrison (and his contract) instead of players like Slater Koekkoek, Jake Dotchin, Cedric Paquette, or J.T. Brown." (https://sinbin.vegas/when-if-ever-will-nikita-gusev-become-a-golden-knight/) . Garrison earned 4M for playing unremarkably in the AHL, so maybe the 2nd was for taking Garrison, the 4th for not taking Paquette, and Gusev was a throw-in because TBL were having no luck with him either, but he seemed to provide good value, on paper? Whatever, I'd go to Boyd, Barber, and a 3rd.

Do you think that gets close, or it basically just never happens?

For his rights I don't even think the Caps would have to give up much because there's no guarantee he'd even sign with the Caps. I think a 4th or 5th round pick and a guy like Boyd, Barber, Ikonen, or Siegenthaler could do it. You see guys rights get traded all the time for next to nothing because it's really a toss up if they'll sign with the team they've been traded to anyway.

But I'd like to hear what Gusev has to say. Because if he does have interest in the NHL I would like to think with all the Russians on the team this would be a good landing spot for him (also playing on a line with Kuznetsov in world juniors). But if he just wants to test the waters as a UFA next year that could work in the Caps favor as well.

And I completely agree with your statement of Shipachyov. After seeing that happen to a teammate and top KHL talent that could make Gusev a little wary of coming over to play with Vegas.

I would love to see the Caps work out a deal to get his rights, if they really think they have a legitimate shot signing him after this year. I've been a huge fan of his for a while, and I really think hit fit in well in D.C.
    Eli liked this.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 3:29 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Edited Jun. 15, 2018 at 4:06 p.m.
    For his rights I don't even think the Caps would have to give up much because there's no guarantee he'd even sign with the Caps. I think a 4th or 5th round pick and a guy like Boyd, Barber, Ikonen, or Siegenthaler could do it. You see guys rights get traded all the time for next to nothing because it's really a toss up if they'll sign with the team they've been traded to anyway.

But I'd like to hear what Gusev has to say. Because if he does have interest in the NHL I would like to think with all the Russians on the team this would be a good landing spot for him (also playing on a line with Kuznetsov in world juniors). But if he just wants to test the waters as a UFA next year that could work in the Caps favor as well.

And I completely agree with your statement of Shipachyov. After seeing that happen to a teammate and top KHL talent that could make Gusev a little wary of coming over to play with Vegas.

I would love to see the Caps work out a deal to get his rights, if they really think they have a legitimate shot signing him after this year. I've been a huge fan of his for a while, and I really think hit fit in well in D.C.

Edited. Thanks! Sounds like a great deal if he signs, and not a huge problem if he doesn't. I know you said or, not and, but after facing each other in the Finals, I think the Caps have to pay extra for rights to a Vegas RFA. Or they can just sign him and pay picks as compensation, no?
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 3:31 p.m.
    First of all, I love the Caps. Second, you really comparing hall of famer Chris Chelios to BROOKS ORPIK???? U are dellusional lmao. I can't believe you don't see the times when Orpik was just plain bad and slow. Comparing him to Chelios is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 3:58 p.m.
    Who adds what?
    Edited Jun. 15, 2018 at 4:59 p.m.
    Quoting: OshietheBeast
    First of all, I love the Caps. Second, you really comparing hall of famer Chris Chelios to BROOKS ORPIK???? U are dellusional lmao. I can't believe you don't see the times when Orpik was just plain bad and slow. Comparing him to Chelios is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Lol. If Orpik is a pylon, Chelios was a fencepost, by the end. At 37, Chelios, who actually had elite offensive skills in his youth, had zero goals and four assists in 273 playoff minutes. At forty he got one goal and 14 assists to win a Cup. In the 07 and 08 seasons, for which I can find hit totals, the legendary tough guy and chili restauranteur got 19 hits in 20 playoff games. https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/chelich01.html

Orpik's 102 and 112 hits in those two years are still among the top ten numbers posted, since anyone's been counting. His 88 this year, as a 37 year old, are 15th all time. His one goal and four assists are about even with 37 year old Chris Chelios (yes, he played almost 400 minutes, so even would be six points. So what), but they are both tied with personal bests. Guys who practiced every day of their youth, came in knowing every offensive trick in the book, and are limited only by their bodies? They get worse after 30. Orpik always kinda sucked except at hitting guys, so he's improving with age, practice, and experience, to where he can contribute some offense, and that surprises people who remember him when he was just a goon. Orpik said last summer he wants to play until he's as old as Jagr. With Washington he spent a year each mentoring Carlson and Schmidt. Forget what Orpik did in the finals. What did you think of the defensemen who led Washington and Las Vegas in ice time all year?

I think Orpik and Djoos are the kind of third pair you win a Stanley Cup with in 2018. Djoos is 23 and improving quicky. Orpik is 37 and.... somehow... also.... improving? The day before he signed with Washington, I commented on the Post's article suggesting they sign him and Niskanen. I said Niskanen would get way overpaid as the best offensive defenseman in a weak market, but Orpik could be a stay at home partner for Green. The next day I was shocked and dismayed that they paid Orpik as if he actually WAS Mike Green. After watching him in the playoffs, I'm okay with it. They got a good deal. It didn't look like it would be, but it worked out great. There's one year left, and I just linked you to a team willing to trade two seconds and a recent 5th overall draft bust to get Orpik and Grubauer.

Take the deal? Or keep Orpik? Buying him out and missing out on both Orpik's continued improvement and the chance of an MDC career? No way.
    Jun. 15, 2018 at 8:41 p.m.
    Edited. Thanks! Sounds like a great deal if he signs, and not a huge problem if he doesn't. I know you said or, not and, but after facing each other in the Finals, I think the Caps have to pay extra for rights to a Vegas RFA. Or they can just sign him and pay picks as compensation, no?

I think the relationship McPhee and McClellan have is pretty good so they should be fair. Trade for rights are tough to evaluate, especially for a case as tough to judge as this one. Great player, but how badly does he want to be here? I would love to find out by seeing it happen in real life though.
    Eli liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll