Forums/Armchair-GM

Karlsson to Colorado solves problems trade and tank

Created by: HawksFan28
Team: 2018-19 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 22, 2018
Published: Jun. 22, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I'm sure many Ottawa fans could do a better job than me dumping assets for picks but I think that's the best course for the Sens right now, fire sale.

Obviously I'm not a Sens or Avs fan, but I keep on hearing "should Ottawa give Colorado the 4th overall pick" and the obvious answer to that is NO, there is no way the 2019 draft is going to be as deep as this draft, however what Ottawa should do is go into full blow rebuild mode, trade Karlsson for their 2019 first, get 2 more and young NHL ready players in Compher and Lindholm...... That's what I would do if I were Dorion and given the financial issues going on in Ottawa..

What do Sens and Av's fans think about this trade? fair, do the Avs give up too much, not enough??? I mean you know Sakic has to have interest in Karlsson, which GM in the league wouldn't?

At any rate If I was Dorion I would go into full blown rebuild mode..

I don't know where to move on from here... The Ryan (50% retained) for Hossa deal is pretty good, it saves Melnyk 3.625M in real cash because Hossa's salary is only $1,000,000 (insured) but he has a cap hit of 5.275, so it helps get the Sens to the cap floor which is 58.8M so...

Ideally Ottawa would want to trade for players who's actual salary is less than their cap hit and obtain as many picks as possible.... But at the end of the day Ottawa still needs to spend 58.8 million... Hossa brought that down to 55M in real cash.... If Ottawa can find more contracts like Hossa they could maybe get down to 50M in real cash..... Hey, they'll be a mess next season BUT Jack Hughes is projected to go #1 next summer and he's basically the next Patrick Kane, so taking for him would be my goal....

Maybe move some more assets and get more picks in this 2018 draft..
Trades
OTT
  1. Compher, J.T.
  2. Lindholm, Anton
  3. 2019 1st round pick (OTT)
  4. 2019 1st round pick (COL)
  5. 2020 1st round pick (COL)
  6. 2021 2nd round pick (COL)
OTT
  1. Hossa, Marián
Additional Details:
Hossa only carries an insured $1,000 salary, Ryan's salary is $7,500,000 for 4 more years.... Ottawa saves 3.625 in real cash on Ryans contract.
CHI
  1. Ryan, Bobby ($3,625,000 retained)
OTT
  1. Shaw, Andrew
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (MTL)
  3. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
2018 3rd overall pick
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$79,500,000$53,880,833$0$642,500$25,619,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,650,000$4,650,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,275,000$5,275,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
LD
UFA - 2
$717,500$717,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 1
$2,400,000$2,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 22, 2018 at 6:15 p.m.
I'm an Ottawa fan but I have never seen such a one sided deal for EK. He's a one year rental . Even signed he's north worth that. Still don't the rules of LTIR. Why is Hossa traded and in this case Ryan is still overpaid at 50% retention. Montreal will be finishing out of the playoffs for maybe years. No reason to give a two rounders and more for a one year rental.
Jun. 22, 2018 at 6:39 p.m.
That is a hefty haul for EK. They would probably only consider that trade if EK re-ups with them...
Jun. 22, 2018 at 9:17 p.m.
I don’t see EK waiving his Clause to go to Colorado.
Jun. 22, 2018 at 11:32 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: orignalsix
I'm an Ottawa fan but I have never seen such a one sided deal for EK. He's a one year rental . Even signed he's north worth that. Still don't the rules of LTIR. Why is Hossa traded and in this case Ryan is still overpaid at 50% retention. Montreal will be finishing out of the playoffs for maybe years. No reason to give a two rounders and more for a one year rental.

The Hossa deal makes sense, because his salary is 1M (insured, so it costs Melnyk nothing) and Bobby Ryan's salary is 7.5 million (cap hit of 7.25) with Ryan 50% retained the Sens walk away with a 3.625 cash savings and Hossa's cap hit of 5.275 (for the next 3 years) + the other 3.625 of (50% of Ryan's cap) = 8.9 million cap hit.

Basically that Bobby Ryan deal would give Ottawa an 8.9 million cap hit for $3.625 million in salary..... Ottawa needs to hit the cap floor which is 58.8 million this season, and they're not close even close yet - and it's known that Ottawa isn't even done dumping salary....... This is a good deal for Ottawa from a cap/financial perspective .... Bobby Ryan or all intents and purposes is a "cap dump" and if you want to trade him with his 7.5 million dollar contract for the next 4 years you're going to have to add assets to do it - or at the very least take a decent amount of salary back in a trade...

This trade works for both teams..... Melnyk/Dorion is trying to shed salary, the Hawks need a left winger..... The Hawks get their winger and Melnyk saves $3.625 on Ryan's salary and while he obtains an 8.9 million dollar cap hit in the process to get to the cap floor for only $3.625 million.
Jun. 24, 2018 at 11:20 p.m.
Quoting: orignalsix

No team is going to trade for Karlsson if they can't sign him to an extension.

Ryan is not overpaid at 50%. Even last year where he was dealing with injuries, he had a 0.53 PPG (similar as Kerfoot, Lindholm, Riley Nash, Bozak, Ferland, Wennberg, Little,etc), which puts him 154th in forward scoring, aka close to mid 2nd line scoring paces. 3.625 is an average NHL salary, probably below average if you look at NHL forwards on UFA years. Just a few months before, Ryan had 15 pts in 19 playoffs games and was Sens 2nd MVP to Erik Karlsson

Ryan has been injury prone the last 2 years but that deal is not worth it for them because they'd be paying 3.625 x 4 years to not have him on the team PLUS pay a player that can replace him. They already dealt Brassard and were forced to trade Hoffman. They currently only have Stone, Duchene, Boedker and Dzingel (maybe Pageau too) who can provide offense at over a 0.50 PPG. They are already counting on 2 of Tkachuk, Brown, Batherson, White, Chlapik and/or Formenton to produce offense. If they trade Ryan, then you need another young guy to succeed right away, which defies the odds.

Concerning Montreal, again, they will not trade for Duchene if they can't get him under extension. And the price would have to be much more enticing than that.

Quoting: HawksFan28
The Hossa deal makes sense, because his salary is 1M (insured, so it costs Melnyk nothing) and Bobby Ryan's salary is 7.5 million (cap hit of 7.25) with Ryan 50% retained the Sens walk away with a 3.625 cash savings and Hossa's cap hit of 5.275 (for the next 3 years) + the other 3.625 of (50% of Ryan's cap) = 8.9 million cap hit.

Basically that Bobby Ryan deal would give Ottawa an 8.9 million cap hit for $3.625 million in salary..... Ottawa needs to hit the cap floor which is 58.8 million this season, and they're not close even close yet - and it's known that Ottawa isn't even done dumping salary....... This is a good deal for Ottawa from a cap/financial perspective .... Bobby Ryan or all intents and purposes is a "cap dump" and if you want to trade him with his 7.5 million dollar contract for the next 4 years you're going to have to add assets to do it - or at the very least take a decent amount of salary back in a trade...

This trade works for both teams..... Melnyk/Dorion is trying to shed salary, the Hawks need a left winger..... The Hawks get their winger and Melnyk saves $3.625 on Ryan's salary and while he obtains an 8.9 million dollar cap hit in the process to get to the cap floor for only $3.625 million.

Yeah but you're omitting one detail : Hossa doesn't play. So Ottawa pays Ryan 3.625 M$ per year for 4 years to NOT play for them and they would have to play someone capable of replacing him. Ryan is overpaid but he is not a pure cap dump. Forget things you've read, fans don't really understand this whole cap dump thing. I doubt Ottawa could find a more efficient forward for under 3.625 per year on the UFA market...

They won't have any problem reaching the cap floor. Clarke MacArthur for example will be on LTIR with a 4.65 cap hit. His contract is insured at 80% though, which will cost under 1 M$ in real dollars.

They'd be better trading Ryan for Loui Eriksson for example. He also has 4 years left but his cap hit is 6.0 but his salary is declining (20 M$ owed vs 30 M$ for Ryan)

Sens save a total of 10 M$ in 4 years. Canucks get a player 2 years younger, more capable to provide offense at this point and they don't worry about the cap for a few years.

So yeah, you won't be able to trade Ryan without retention for picks and prospects, like any player that is considered significantly overpaid but he's not a cap dump in that sense.

You can be sure that worse players will get a bigger cap hit than Ryan come July 1st and for maybe longer term. Pretty sure a few GMs that have cap space would gladly sign Ryan at 3.625 M$ x 4 years. If he can stay healthy, then the contract becomes a bargain.

Maybe that would work with less retention but 3.625 M$ per year is not attractive for Ottawa because of the replacement cost. Let's say you are lucky enough to find a guy that can provide the same stuff for 3M$ a year, in the end you save less than a million a year.
Jun. 27, 2018 at 8:47 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: Xspyrit
No team is going to trade for Karlsson if they can't sign him to an extension.

Ryan is not overpaid at 50%. Even last year where he was dealing with injuries, he had a 0.53 PPG (similar as Kerfoot, Lindholm, Riley Nash, Bozak, Ferland, Wennberg, Little,etc), which puts him 154th in forward scoring, aka close to mid 2nd line scoring paces. 3.625 is an average NHL salary, probably below average if you look at NHL forwards on UFA years. Just a few months before, Ryan had 15 pts in 19 playoffs games and was Sens 2nd MVP to Erik Karlsson

Ryan has been injury prone the last 2 years but that deal is not worth it for them because they'd be paying 3.625 x 4 years to not have him on the team PLUS pay a player that can replace him. They already dealt Brassard and were forced to trade Hoffman. They currently only have Stone, Duchene, Boedker and Dzingel (maybe Pageau too) who can provide offense at over a 0.50 PPG. They are already counting on 2 of Tkachuk, Brown, Batherson, White, Chlapik and/or Formenton to produce offense. If they trade Ryan, then you need another young guy to succeed right away, which defies the odds.

Concerning Montreal, again, they will not trade for Duchene if they can't get him under extension. And the price would have to be much more enticing than that.

Yeah but you're omitting one detail : Hossa doesn't play. So Ottawa pays Ryan 3.625 M$ per year for 4 years to NOT play for them and they would have to play someone capable of replacing him. Ryan is overpaid but he is not a pure cap dump. Forget things you've read, fans don't really understand this whole cap dump thing. I doubt Ottawa could find a more efficient forward for under 3.625 per year on the UFA market...

They won't have any problem reaching the cap floor. Clarke MacArthur for example will be on LTIR with a 4.65 cap hit. His contract is insured at 80% though, which will cost under 1 M$ in real dollars.

They'd be better trading Ryan for Loui Eriksson for example. He also has 4 years left but his cap hit is 6.0 but his salary is declining (20 M$ owed vs 30 M$ for Ryan)

Sens save a total of 10 M$ in 4 years. Canucks get a player 2 years younger, more capable to provide offense at this point and they don't worry about the cap for a few years.

So yeah, you won't be able to trade Ryan without retention for picks and prospects, like any player that is considered significantly overpaid but he's not a cap dump in that sense.

You can be sure that worse players will get a bigger cap hit than Ryan come July 1st and for maybe longer term. Pretty sure a few GMs that have cap space would gladly sign Ryan at 3.625 M$ x 4 years. If he can stay healthy, then the contract becomes a bargain.

Maybe that would work with less retention but 3.625 M$ per year is not attractive for Ottawa because of the replacement cost. Let's say you are lucky enough to find a guy that can provide the same stuff for 3M$ a year, in the end you save less than a million a year.

I'm not omitting anything - the fact Hossa cant play is irrelevant in this deal (someone gets bumped up and the Sens bring in a prospect from the system) - this is a financial and salary cap deal.....

The Hawks send Hossa to the Sens for Ryan at 50% retained....

In short Ottawa gets an 8.9 million cap hit for 3.625 in real salary and they also rid themselves of half of Ryan's contract.

The purpose or reasoning of this deal goes right over peoples heads -- Ottawa gets a large cap hit for a fraction of the salary.. Ottawa has to hit the cap floor but they're still trying to dump Ryan's contract - Melnyk/Dorion can do BOTH in this deal - it's the best of both worlds for Ottawa..... And the Hawks get a #2 LW at a reasonable salary and cap hit... Both teams get exactly what they want and NEED...

Of course Ottawa could just trade Bobby Ryan at full price and cap hit with a significant asset(s) to another team which will insist on sending SOME salary back the other way........Either way Melnyk has no interest in paying Bobby Ryan 7.5 million a season for the next 4 years....

I mean do you understand now?

Ottawa gets $8,900,000 cap hit for $3,625,000 in actual real salary cash money... For a team that needs to hit the cap floor you can't get a better deal than that..

Sorry, but in a salary cap era not every trade is a "hockey trade" there are plenty of trades made for financial reasons and cap reasons.....

Look at Bryan Bickell traded to Carolina with Teuvo Teravainen for a 2nd & 3rd round pick(s) -- That was a cap trade and Teravainen is a stud now and he was a top prospect when he was traded....

That is just one example of many.

Hope you understand the point now - from both teams perspectives.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll