Forums/Armchair-GM

Toronto 2019-20 CAP HELL

Created by: HawksFan28
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 1, 2018
Published: Jul. 1, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Toronto is going to be in cap hell next summer so they better win the Cup this season because it will be the last time they have a team this deep.

I adjusted the salary cap to $81,000,000 because that is a good estimate for next summer.

Yes, I put Horton on LTIR as well.

I cant see Matthews not making AT LEAST McDavid money, especially after the rise of the salary cap.... I mean it's impossible that he won't make McDavid money.... Especially if he has a monster season and especially if the Leafs win the Cup..

And Nylander, How does Nylander make any less than JVR, given Nylanders age, production and potential? so the notion that he will sign for 6.5 is ridiculous... It's just not possible.. I could see Nylander getting 8 per.... He outscored JVR this season for gods sake and he's way younger and he's hardly hit his prime.

Of course you have Marner who's in the same boat - he lead the Leafs in points this past season - you can BET he's getting paid like Leon Draisaitl - their stat lines are virtually identical.. I mean he could get as much as 9....

So with 13 players signed, The Leafs have 7,000,000 next summer to sign 12 players..

The Leafs are going to have to move AT LEAST Marleau & Kadri....

The 18-19 off-season for the Leafs will be very similar to the Blackhawks 09-10 off-season - perhaps even worse....

I don't think signing Tavares was the best move , sure the Leafs are a Cup contender this season, maybe the favorite, but in the long-run the Leafs are screwed....

If the Leafs don't get Matthews & Marner signed to extensions a year from now the Leafs would be giving teams an opportunity to offer-sheet either one of them and YES absolutely I could see a team offer-sheeting either one of them especially Matthews - however I'm sure the Leafs will get them signed to extensions but they're going to have to give up some nice assets next summer to dump some contracts - especially Marleau...

Just saying..

The long-term outlook does not look good for Toronto..... You cant have 40 million wrapped up in 4 players long-term and not expect it to affect the team's long-term outlook...

So Toronto better win the Cup or this could be one of the biggest fails in history....

Don't get me wrong, Toronto will still have a nice core next summer but they're not going to have much to fill out the rest of their roster - lots of AHL guys and rookies...
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$8,500,000
8$12,500,000
8$7,750,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
13$81,000,000$68,363,333$0$0$12,636,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 5
$7,750,000$7,750,000
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:19 p.m.
How could nylander not get at least JVR money? Cause Nylander is restricted free agent and JVR was an unrestricted free agent.
Df13 and GOleafsGO2018 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:22 p.m.
DF13
Matthews is not going expect 12.5 million when Tavares ( a complete all-star with a proven track record accepted 11) Marner and Nylander are also unproven. Bridge Nylander to 5 mill for 3 years and same with Marner.
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Well they won't be in cap hell. Cap hell is when you have too much salary buried, or bought out or retained or player next playing up their contracts. The Leafs have little of that. If nothing else if the Leafs need cap they do the ability to trade a good player for equal or near equal value.
Certainly you've paid Nylander too much....he will be signed this summer. Even Matthews and even Marner are too much also.
So why didn't you complete the lineup. Johnson, Grundstrom, Kapanen should be competent to good wingers on cheap contracts. Liljegren, still on ELC and a inexpensive Borgman could be Dmen. Sparks in net. There are seven NHLers making about 8m.
How can a sports fan say it" looks bad for Toronto", because they have too many good players. You're comparing them to the Hawks who have contracts that severely overpay a few players and even worse have NMCs.
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:45 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: CeeDee87
How could nylander not get at least JVR money? Cause Nylander is restricted free agent and JVR was an unrestricted free agent.

Doesn't matter, teams will offer-sheet him if he doesn't at least get that money.. Nylander knows that, so Toronto is going to have to make an offer-sheet proof offer to Nylander.. Leon Draisaitl was RFA as well, so was McDavid and so were all the big name RFA stars when they got paid..... Toews and Kane got 6.75 when the salary cap was at like 65.. lol

But I'm really going to enjoy Leafs fans having total meltdowns next summer when they realize that their band cant stay together forever...

RFA, lol.....

RFA compensation.

$6,088,981 to $8,118,641 - A first, second & third round pick(s)...... No doubt a team with cap space would gladly offer-sheet Nylander and Toronto would have to match or move on.....

So Toronto will have to at least make an offer somewhere within that range probably on the higher end of that to deter a team from trying to poach him..
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:47 p.m.
Quoting: HawksFan28
Doesn't matter, teams will offer-sheet him if he doesn't at least get that money.. Nylander knows that, so Toronto is going to have to make an offer-sheet proof offer to Nylander.. Leon Draisaitl was RFA as well, so was McDavid and so were all the big name RFA stars when they got paid..... Toews and Kane got 6.75 when the salary cap was at like 65.. lol

But I'm really going to enjoy Leafs fans having total meltdowns next summer when they realize that their band cant stay together forever...

RFA, lol.....

Pastrnak, David for reference if you want to see a comparable player to Nylander.

Stop using the best hockey player on the planet as a contract comparison for anyone.
GOleafsGO2018 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

RFA, lol.....

McDavid was the league MVP, comparing Nylander seem to McDavid seems like a trolling argument or just from a misinformed fan. Gee folks where saying Nylander was going to be overpaid when it suggested he would get close to Pasta money at 6.67m
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:57 p.m.
HawksFan28
Pastrnak, David for reference if you want to see a comparable player to Nylander.

Stop using the best hockey player on the planet as a contract comparison for anyone.

Yea Pastrnak is making 8M per.

I'm comparing Matthews to McDavid and Matthews will get McDavid money.......
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:58 p.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: palhal
McDavid was the league MVP, comparing Nylander seem to McDavid seems like a trolling argument or just from a misinformed fan. Gee folks where saying Nylander was going to be overpaid when it suggested he would get close to Pasta money at 6.67m

I'm not comparing Nylander to McDavid, I'm comparing Matthews to McDavid.... Matthews will get McDavid money..
Jul. 1, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
GO Leafs
Agreed it will be tough but not as dire as you might think
I hope to fit the BIG 3 w 25M but as you say looking more expensive as we move along
12 Matthews 7.5 for Marner /nylander
The cap becomes an issue rather quick
Fortunately for a he leafs they can fill the wingers from within on the cheap
Kapanen brown johnnson grundstrom lindholm all cheap and w team control for few years
The problem is defense ..:. No choice but to develop them. No $$ left viaFA. Bunch of prospects and 3rd pairings in the cupboard
Dubas has a year to figure it out

Personally I flip gardiner this year and Marleau nxt year that leaves us w 1 hole on top 4 defense and 5M cap space

I got cap jumping 82.5M just on all the Tavares jerseys revenue
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:01 a.m.
Yea Pastrnak is making 8M per.

I'm comparing Matthews to McDavid and Matthews will get McDavid money.......

Pasta makes 6.67 per year...
BigE_Perspective liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:03 a.m.
HawksFan28
Quoting: GOleafsGO2018
I hope to fit the BIG 3 w 25M but as you say looking more expensive as we move along
12 Matthews 7.5 for Marner /nylander
The cap becomes an issue rather quick
Fortunately for a he leafs they can fill the wingers from within on the cheap
Kapanen brown johnnson grundstrom lindholm all cheap and w team control for few years
The problem is defense ..:. No choice but to develop them. No $$ left viaFA. Bunch of prospects and 3rd pairings in the cupboard
Dubas has a year to figure it out

Personally I flip gardiner this year and Marleau nxt year that leaves us w 1 hole on top 4 defense and 5M cap space

I got cap jumping 82.5M just on all the Tavares jerseys revenue

Dude, Marner and Nylander are getting way more than 7.5 per each, they're worth more - they know it and they know another team will give them more..

Here is the compensation:

$6,088,981 to $8,118,641 - First, second and third round pick(s)...

Yes, I can see a team throwing 8 million at either one of them and giving up a first, second & third round pick....

The Leafs are not going to have a fun summer in 2019..
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:05 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I
Agree with what you wrote, except about Marleau. NMC Marleau isn't leaving the Leafs for his last chance at winning a Cup.

And even if the Leafs don't have enough cap, they can always trade a player for good value. It's not like they have a guy unmoveable guy like Seabrook taking up 6.8m in long term cap or 10.5m Toews somehow making # 1 centre money now.
GOleafsGO2018 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:08 a.m.
GO Leafs
There's been 1 successful offer sheet in like 20 yrs
It's more theoretical than anything
Pasternak was a good compare. Nylander anyway
Marner's not signing no offer sheet
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:09 a.m.
GO Leafs
By the way hate the comparisons to the hawks
They won a few cups There is no comparison
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:09 a.m.
HawksFan28
Pasta makes 6.67 per year...

No he doesn't, his salary is 8 million.. And he signed his extension 2 years ago and his cap hit is 6.6..........Besides, Nylanders agent isn't going to compare him to Pasta, he's going to be compared to Leon Draisaitl because their numbers are basically identical..

Furthermore you cant compare a contract in hindsight...... Pasta signed his extension 2 years ago - you cant say dude scored 80 points this season but has a 6.66 cap hit therefore Nylander put up 71 points this season so he should make the same ....

Nice try tho..
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:12 a.m.
HawksFan28
There's been 1 successful offer sheet in like 20 yrs
It's more theoretical than anything
Pasternak was a good compare. Nylander anyway
Marner's not signing no offer sheet

Both Nylander & Marner are prime for offer-sheets and so is Matthews.....

You have to get Nylander signed now..

You have to get Marner & Matthews signed by next summer...

We will see, there are a lot of teams that have a lot of cap space and plenty of picks to poach Nylander right now and it may happen considering Nylander hasn't even been signed yet....Why do you think he hasn't been given his extension?
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:12 a.m.
GO Leafs
Edited Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:18 a.m.
Cap hit waayyyy more relevant than actual salary. Leafs wouldn't care if he got 15M yr the 6.6 cap hit is all that matters

They doing Matthews first then nylander will get his
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:17 a.m.
HawksFan28
By the way hate the comparisons to the hawks
They won a few cups There is no comparison

There will be next summer regardless if the Leafs win a Cup or not....

None of the players I'm talking about have won Cups...

These kids are going to want to get paid and the better season they have the more they're going to want..... Right now Nylander is worth AT LEAST 7.5 - his camp is probably asking for 8M..... The Leafs would be LUCKY to get him for 7, but I highly doubt that's going to happen...

Like I said, a lot of teams have a lot of cap space and offer-sheeting Nylander wouldn't be out of the question...... He's worth a 1st, 2nd & 3rd round pick ...... Heck I could see Tampa Bay offer sheeting Nylander or even Buffalo..
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:20 a.m.
HawksFan28
Cap hit waayyyy more relevant than actual salary

He signed his extension 2 years ago, his cap hit isn't relevant at all......... The cap has gone up 6.5 million since Pasta signed his extension, not only that but put up 80 points this season which isn't relevant considering he signed his extension BEFORE HE DID THAT...

You ant compare contracts that were signed years ago then compare production and expect a player to sign a similar deal based on what was fair 2 years ago...
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:21 a.m.
No he doesn't, his salary is 8 million.. And he signed his extension 2 years ago and his cap hit is 6.6..........Besides, Nylanders agent isn't going to compare him to Pasta, he's going to be compared to Leon Draisaitl because their numbers are basically identical..

Furthermore you cant compare a contract in hindsight...... Pasta signed his extension 2 years ago - you cant say dude scored 80 points this season but has a 6.66 cap hit therefore Nylander put up 71 points this season so he should make the same ....

Nice try tho..

Pasta signed his contract after putting up 70 points. Nylander has never put up more than 61. But please go on with your made up numbers. And AAV matters way more than actual salary in your argument cause I could front load a deal an have Nylander make $9M this season in salary and still have his cap hit be 6.75M.

You're just trolling, have fun with that though.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:24 a.m.
HawksFan28
Pasta signed his contract after putting up 70 points. Nylander has never put up more than 61. But please go on with your made up numbers. And AAV matters way more than actual salary in your argument cause I could front load a deal an have Nylander make $9M this season in salary and still have his cap hit be 6.75M.

You're just trolling, have fun with that though.

Dude Evander Kane just signed at 7 per - he was an RFA....

I'm going to go through the list and show you that no way Nylander signs for less than 8.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:26 a.m.

I'm going to go through the list and show you that no way Nylander signs for less than

I'm going to go through the list and show you that no way Nylander signs for less than 8.

Kane was a UFA... go through that list.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:27 a.m.
GO Leafs
Jus saying it's a good comp
I'm giving Nylandter 7.5 that's a coolM for 2yrs inflation
Ifteams are so interested leafs will match anything then flip him themselves before accepting 1st 2nd 3rd
Hardly a concern
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:30 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Nice try tho..

Are you trying to factual incorrect or just more trolling? Pasta signed last summer, not two years ago. In 2016/17, he had 34 goals, 70 points....superior numbers to Nylander. Nylander has had two season at 61 points.
Kane was UFA. Draisaitl had 77 points in his last ELC season
I'm not sure if you know anything about the Hawks....doubtful because your constant trading of Hossa, but it's obvious you know nothing about the Leafs, Bruins, Oilers or Sharks.

Please don't through a list, you can't get the facts right about Nylander, Pasta Kane or Draisaitl. Your information you provide is meaningless.
Jul. 2, 2018 at 12:33 a.m.
HawksFan28
Kane - 7
Nikolaj Ehlers - 6
Leon Draisaitl - 8.5
Oliver Ekman-Larsson -8.25
Jack Eichel -10
Ryan Johansen -8
Evgeny Kuznetsov -7.8
Cam Fowler - 6.5
Jamie Benn - 9.5

The list can go on and on and ON..

There is NO WAY that William Nylander signs for anything less than $8,000,000..

Ryan Johansson and Leon Draisaitl are the best comparisons..

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll