Forums/Armchair-GM

Blockbuster with Edmonton

Created by: kscoop
Team: 2018-19 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2018
Published: Jul. 26, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I would hate to lose Pastrnak but getting Draisaitl back would be unreal. Oilers get a super star winger and another very good winger. Also get cehlarik who is NHL ready imo.
Bruins get Draisaitl which would be huge as Bergeron and Krejci are in their 30's. Also get Puljujarvi who hasn't seemed to find it in Edmonton.
Bruins may have to add a draft pick as Draisaitl carries the most value in this trade.
Future down the middle.
Draisaitl
JFK
Studnicka
Frederic
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$74,176,501$774,000$6,025,000$5,323,499
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,275,000$1,275,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$725,000$725,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$916,667$916,667 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
RD
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$789,167$789,167
RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD
UFA - 5
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:30 a.m.
Banned
Why does Boston need another Center?
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:33 a.m.
Quoting: DemitraGoat

Read the description. Bruins getting long in the tooth down the middle.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:44 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM

Krejci is going to start falling off even more come this season, speed just isn't there anymore and Boston is only getting faster. Not only that Patrice, though an elite two-way forward (maybe the best), his production is going down. This trade gives you a bonafide number 1 center for the next 7 years.
CD282 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:45 a.m.
Big time NO thank you.

Last two seasons:
Draisaitl - 160gp 54g 93a 147pts EVEN 8.5m PER Year
Pastrnak - 157gp 69g 81a 150pts +21 6.6m Per Year

One of those guys often shared the ice with the greatest player on the planet.

Bergeron still has 3-4 Elite years left. Worst case Scenario is two
Krejci would be the Number one center on about 50% of the teams in the league and is fine for a #2. Slightly overpaid, but 6-6.5 is what he should be getting, I am not too concerned with a 1.25m overpay on a guy who will put up ~55pts

As you mentioned - they have a nice pipeline coming. By the time they will need a center, Frederic, Studnicka, JFK or even Donato should be more than ready and hitting their prime. If they need to move on from Krejci for Cap reasons to sign all their young guys - they can package him with a young good prospect and probably get a legit #2 center.

I know Puljuljarvi was a high pick and still young, but it's about production and Heinen has blown him out of the water.

You want the Bruins to add a pick too. "NO. NO. GOD NO, NO". Pastrnak carries the most value due to his contract & better production. Draisatl is a center and is a very good player getting paid too much money.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:45 a.m.
No deal Pasta too valuable, great contract as well
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:50 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Davisoc
Krejci is going to start falling off even more come this season, speed just isn't there anymore and Boston is only getting faster. Not only that Patrice, though an elite two-way forward (maybe the best), his production is going down. This trade gives you a bonafide number 1 center for the next 7 years.

Yes but it doesn’t make sense because you are trading Pasta
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:54 a.m.

What are you talking about?

Bergeron - had his most productive/best season last season. His last three have been his best three.
Krejci - His game has never been about speed. Ever. He slows the game down better than just about anyone in the game. He is not slowing down production wise. He had a very productive season coming off hip surgery. He has played with virtual garbage for two years and still produced. He had 10pts in 12 games in the much faster playoffs - FYI. He will have a substantially better season this year with Debrusk and Pastrnak on his wings. He will put up 55-60pts like he has for the last 4 years. He will be around 20g 35a

World championships - Draisaitl avg 1.29ppg
Krejci avg 1.20ppg
Jul. 26, 2018 at 9:59 a.m.
Leon is so over-hyped its not even funny. This would be a great deal for EDM though. Imagine what Pasta would do with McDavid as his centerman...WOW!
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:09 a.m.
Bcarlo25

Bostons two biggest organizational needs are high end centers and high end LD
kscoop liked this.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:15 a.m.
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Bostons two biggest organizational needs are high end centers and high end LD

Exactly. Obviously this trade never happens but for the Bruins the major piece in the trade is Draisaitl with Puljujarvi being a major wild card. Puljujarvi has untapped potential and maybe a change of scenery would do him a great deal playing with super vets in Bergeron and Marchand. That being said, Pasta with McDavid would probably destroy the league. Win-Win for both teams.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:16 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Quoting: Propeller09
What are you talking about?

Bergeron - had his most productive/best season last season. His last three have been his best three.
Krejci - His game has never been about speed. Ever. He slows the game down better than just about anyone in the game. He is not slowing down production wise. He had a very productive season coming off hip surgery. He has played with virtual garbage for two years and still produced. He had 10pts in 12 games in the much faster playoffs - FYI. He will have a substantially better season this year with Debrusk and Pastrnak on his wings. He will put up 55-60pts like he has for the last 4 years. He will be around 20g 35a

World championships - Draisaitl avg 1.29ppg
Krejci avg 1.20ppg

If you are actually saying that Draisaitl isn't a clear and obvious upgrade then we have nothing to talk about. By all means ride that aging ship into the sunset my friend. Just ask how well it went for Chicago, LA, New York shall I continue?
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:27 a.m.
Bcarlo25
Big time NO thank you.

Last two seasons:

Krejci would be the Number one center on about 50% of the teams in the league and is fine for a #2. Slightly overpaid, but 6-6.5 is what he should be getting, I am not too concerned with a 1.25m overpay on a guy who will put up ~55pts

As you mentioned - they have a nice pipeline coming. By the time they will need a center, Frederic, Studnicka, JFK or even Donato should be more than ready and hitting their prime. If they need to move on from Krejci for Cap reasons to sign all their young guys - they can package him with a young good prospect and probably get a legit #2 center.

I know Puljuljarvi was a high pick and still young, but it's about production and Heinen has blown him out of the water.

You want the Bruins to add a pick too. "NO. NO. GOD NO, NO". Pastrnak carries the most value due to his contract & better production. Draisatl is a center and is a very good player getting paid too much money.

Well, let's be real here. Draisaitl may have occasionally been on a line with McDavid, but Pastrnak was basically always on the ice with 2/3 of Canada's top line. If we're going to make an argument for who had the easier time when it comes to who they were playing with, I'm not sure you're helping yourself out.

Saying Bergeron has 3-4 "ELITE" years left is extremely, extremely optimistic. I hope you're right, but trends say he's lucky to still be playing his best at this point in his career. He's 33. Saying worst case two years of elite hockey left is just naive in my opinion. The guy has put his body through hell. I'd say worst case is that he is a shell of himself this year, and plays out his contract as a reliable, defensive 3rd line center. I think he probably has 1-2 30-30 type seasons left, but I don't think he's going to be in the Hart conversation when he's 37, I just hope he's still in the league and being productive. As for Krejci, I love the guy, but his last two years really haven't been number one center caliber.

I like all the players Boston trades in this deal, I'm an irrationally big fan of Heinen, but to get an elite number one center with term at this point in his career, I think you have to pull the trigger. I'd prefer Pastrnak for Draisaitl straight up, and maybe try to get them to take a contract to even the money out.
CD282 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:35 a.m.
If you are actually saying that Draisaitl isn't a clear and obvious upgrade then we have nothing to talk about. By all means ride that aging ship into the sunset my friend. Just ask how well it went for Chicago, LA, New York shall I continue?

An upgrade over what? Is he better than Krejci? Yup. Is he better than Bergeron? Nope.
I also don't think he is an upgrade over Pastrnak. A 22 year old kid who has average 34.5 goals and 75pts over the last two seasons. Which is better than Draisaitl. I will give you Center holds more value as a position and he is a very good one offensively and defensively, but the contract balances that out a bit. For Example I would trade Pastrnak for Barkov, but not Draisaitl.

Yeah, continue. The Problem with the teams you mentioned was the overpayment (or high contracts) of said players. It's hard to win when 1-2 guys are taking up 15-20% of your cap. See Edmonton as well, because you have fill in the rest with garbage. The Bruins will likely move Krejci as one of their kids develop. Another thing That the aforementioned teams did not have. Chicago has Toews and Kane signed for as much as Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak and Sean Kuraly.

Those teams also did not/do not have a pretty healthy pipeline of young studs coming up at the center position (Studnicka, Frederic, JFK & maybe Donato).

NY's big problem is they never had a center, and their D was old and highly overrated.

LA - They just signed bad contracts. As I mentioned it's hard to win when a couple guys are taking up large chunks of the cap. It gets into shady territory when you start signing guys for 9M+ you better have a good young stream of players to fill in holes (See tampa)
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:44 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
An upgrade over what? Is he better than Krejci? Yup. Is he better than Bergeron? Nope.
I also don't think he is an upgrade over Pastrnak. A 22 year old kid who has average 34.5 goals and 75pts over the last two seasons. Which is better than Draisaitl. I will give you Center holds more value as a position and he is a very good one offensively and defensively, but the contract balances that out a bit. For Example I would trade Pastrnak for Barkov, but not Draisaitl.

Yeah, continue. The Problem with the teams you mentioned was the overpayment (or high contracts) of said players. It's hard to win when 1-2 guys are taking up 15-20% of your cap. See Edmonton as well, because you have fill in the rest with garbage. The Bruins will likely move Krejci as one of their kids develop. Another thing That the aforementioned teams did not have. Chicago has Toews and Kane signed for as much as Bergeron, Marchand, Pastrnak and Sean Kuraly.

Those teams also did not/do not have a pretty healthy pipeline of young studs coming up at the center position (Studnicka, Frederic, JFK & maybe Donato).

NY's big problem is they never had a center, and their D was old and highly overrated.

LA - They just signed bad contracts. As I mentioned it's hard to win when a couple guys are taking up large chunks of the cap. It gets into shady territory when you start signing guys for 9M+ you better have a good young stream of players to fill in holes (See tampa)

If you want to disagree with this trade, thats fine. I see the merit's to both sides not being a fan for either. But Patrice has injury troubles, of course he is a great player no one is disputing that (best two-way center in the league, arguably top 5 overall). That being said this teams window is closing, you have a very old core and bring in an absolute stud that can play behind Patrice and learn from him, man thats priceless.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:55 a.m.

I don't really think it's a stretch for a couple reasons with Bergeron.
1) He has shown zero signs of fallilng off. He has actually gotten better in the last three.
2) Yes, he puts his body through alot, but you sort of contradict yourself here, you mention pastrnak playing with 2/3rds team canada, but then say it will only last another year or two. He just turned 33 which is getting old, but Ovechkin turns 33 in sept and I don't see him turning into a 20 goal scorer anytime in the next three years. He also plays a hard game. There are a ton of guys who have been very productive into their mid to late 30's. Bergeron just seems like that type of player to me. Like Getzlaf, Datsyuk, etc... I say the same thing about Sid and Malkin, Kopitar. He's not Backes is my point... I don't think he'll be in the hart conversation when he is 37 either, but Draisaitl won't be in it in 4 years either.
3) McDavid has won the art ross two years in a row. McDavid is the 1st line of team canada now.
4) I agree on Krejci - if he is your number one, probably not a great team. He is a very good #2 center. Top 7 #2 and a #1 on: NYR, NSH, Det, CBJ, MTL, VAN(close), AZ, CAR, OTT & NJ
Jul. 26, 2018 at 10:58 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
I don't really think it's a stretch for a couple reasons with Bergeron.
1) He has shown zero signs of fallilng off. He has actually gotten better in the last three.
2) Yes, he puts his body through alot, but you sort of contradict yourself here, you mention pastrnak playing with 2/3rds team canada, but then say it will only last another year or two. He just turned 33 which is getting old, but Ovechkin turns 33 in sept and I don't see him turning into a 20 goal scorer anytime in the next three years. He also plays a hard game. There are a ton of guys who have been very productive into their mid to late 30's. Bergeron just seems like that type of player to me. Like Getzlaf, Datsyuk, etc... I say the same thing about Sid and Malkin, Kopitar. He's not Backes is my point... I don't think he'll be in the hart conversation when he is 37 either, but Draisaitl won't be in it in 4 years either.
3) McDavid has won the art ross two years in a row. McDavid is the 1st line of team canada now.
4) I agree on Krejci - if he is your number one, probably not a great team. He is a very good #2 center. Top 7 #2 and a #1 on: NYR, NSH, Det, CBJ, MTL, VAN(close), AZ, CAR, OTT & NJ

Dude no one is talking about Patrice, this trade is about moving in a stud that can play in your number one spot while Patrice ages. You're freaking out defending a guy that no one really said anything about. This is about moving a top line winger for a top line center. A trade that you should take no matter what. Plus a one two punch of Patrice and Draisaitl is terrifying.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:08 a.m.
If you want to disagree with this trade, thats fine. I see the merit's to both sides not being a fan for either. But Patrice has injury troubles, of course he is a great player no one is disputing that (best two-way center in the league, arguably top 5 overall). That being said this teams window is closing, you have a very old core and bring in an absolute stud that can play behind Patrice and learn from him, man thats priceless.

I think this is where we disagree about the ageing core. The Bruins were the 12th youngest team. Below the league average and they have the oldest player in the league in Chara.
Their core changed:
Pastrnak - 22
McAvoy - 20
Carlo - 21
Marchand - 30
Bergeron - 33
Debrusk - 21

Also the fringe/TBD core: Donato, Bjork, Heinen, Zboril, Vaakanainen, JFK, Senyshyn

Yes, Bergeron and Marchand are the two center pieces, but they have the guys to step in as they age. When Marchnd is 34 and probably better suited as a 2nd liner, Pastrnak will be 26.
When Bergeron is better suited for 2nd line duty in 2-3 years - They will have Studnicka and Frederic who will be 23 and ready. (or at the very least use those pieces to bring in a replacement).

I don't think their window is closing. They have seemingly transitioned to a new core. You are acting like Bergeron is Kesler and it's just not the case. He has missed 26 games over the last 5 seasons. Granted 17 were last year, but he also had his highest PPG total of his career and put 16pts in 11 playoff games. I don't see signs of regression.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:19 a.m.
Dude no one is talking about Patrice, this trade is about moving in a stud that can play in your number one spot while Patrice ages. You're freaking out defending a guy that no one really said anything about. This is about moving a top line winger for a top line center. A trade that you should take no matter what. Plus a one two punch of Patrice and Draisaitl is terrifying.

I was actually replying to Bcarlo and you saying their window was closing. I just don't see it that way.

Draisaitl is a very good player I would just rather Pastrnak especially when you factor in cap hit. Like I said, if were talking about Barkov who is better and cheaper, I am all about it. I think Drasisaitl is overrated and overpaid.

On top of that Heinen - 50pt 22 year old rookie? Nope. I want no part of it. None. Assists are nice, but I want the goals... For everything you are saying about Draisaitl - Pastrnak is really something special, and he's now scored 34 & 35 goals in his 1st two full seasons and 70 & 80pts. I want the goals.

Just my opinion.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:35 a.m.

Also - not freaking out. Just like to backup what I say with my reasoning. I find it better than making statements with nothing behind them like, here are a few:
"Your window is closing" - Why? I see no reason they are not a contender for next 2-3 years, after that who knows, anything can happen to any team.
"you have a very old core" - their core is actually very young now. Their older core guys are work horses who I don't foresee dropping off a cliff
"But Patrice has injury troubles" - 26 missed games in 5 years. I will take that. Had a hernia issue last year, put up his most productive year.
"Not only that Patrice, though an elite two-way forward (maybe the best), his production is going down" - Nope, the exact opposite
"Krejci is going to start falling off even more come this season" - Krejci has avg .74ppg for his career. Last four years as he has fallen off (.66, .88, .66, .69) that is a whopping 4pt fall off in production playing with 2 good, but inconsistent rookies.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:41 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Big time NO thank you.

Last two seasons:

Comparing a centers production to a winger, makes no sense. Plus you're proving our point. A center, played 3 games more and only had three points less. I said it to you before and I'll say it one more time. If you can trade for a legit number one center, you do it, period.

As for overrated, you just proved he isn't by comparing the two. If anything you're saying Pat is overrated as well. They both have huge ceilings and yes Pat could be a constant 40 goal scorer, but we are talking about a big bodied number one center that has a 200 foot style game.

ANYWAY! I digress.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:42 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
Also - not freaking out. Just like to backup what I say with my reasoning. I find it better than making statements with nothing behind them like, here are a few:
"Your window is closing" - Why? I see no reason they are not a contender for next 2-3 years, after that who knows, anything can happen to any team.
"you have a very old core" - their core is actually very young now. Their older core guys are work horses who I don't foresee dropping off a cliff
"But Patrice has injury troubles" - 26 missed games in 5 years. I will take that. Had a hernia issue last year, put up his most productive year.
"Not only that Patrice, though an elite two-way forward (maybe the best), his production is going down" - Nope, the exact opposite
"Krejci is going to start falling off even more come this season" - Krejci has avg .74ppg for his career. Last four years as he has fallen off (.66, .88, .66, .69) that is a whopping 4pt fall off in production playing with 2 good, but inconsistent rookies.

Its crazy how close minded people are when its your team (and yes I admit I do this with the leafs), but writing is on the wall, the Atlantic will leave you behind. Tampa, Leafs even Florida. Just wait and see I guess.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:43 a.m.
Comparing a centers production to a winger, makes no sense. Plus you're proving our point. A center, played 3 games more and only had three points less. I said it to you before and I'll say it one more time. If you can trade for a legit number one center, you do it, period.

As for overrated, you just proved he isn't by comparing the two. If anything you're saying Pat is overrated as well. They both have huge ceilings and yes Pat could be a constant 40 goal scorer, but we are talking about a big bodied number one center that has a 200 foot style game

ANYWAY! I digress.

So, you'd trade Marner for Draisaitl? I would not for the record. I would trade for Barkov though... It's the player.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
Its crazy how close minded people are when its your team (and yes I admit I do this with the leafs), but writing is on the wall, the Atlantic will leave you behind. Tampa, Leafs even Florida. Just wait and see I guess.

I agree those teams are good, but for example and you said it yourself. I don't think Toronto is that much better than you were. I really don't. You needed D and/or goaltending, not more scoring. You were already top 3 in scoring or whatever. Tavares isn't great defensively, I mean he isn't bad, but he's not great. not like Kadri.

I also see the Bruins with McAvoy, Carlo, Pastrnak, Debrusk (remember him), Heinen, Bjork, Donato, Studnicka, Frederick, JFK and Two potential top pairing LD in Zboril & vaakanainen. all of them 22 or under.
Toronto and Tampa in my opinion have one year before it hits the fan. after this year, it gets real tough and decisions will have to be made. The Bruins Decisions are being made for them.

They also have Vet pieces like Krejci and Krug to pair with one or two of those guys to bring that stud center in.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
Wannabe Leafs GM
So, you'd trade Marner for Draisaitl? I would not for the record. I would trade for Barkov though... It's the player.

Are we really comparing Toronto's center depth to Boston's... Please don't.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 11:57 a.m.
No. it's a simple question. Let's say you didn't sign Tavares and he went to SJ.

Would you trade Marner for Draisiatl?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll