RFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2018 at 12:10 p.m.
Still need a couple more players. So no the cap does not reasonably work for the 2019-20 season with what you proposed.
wojme liked this.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 12:18 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Goldendelicious
Still need a couple more players.

If we are being conservative with our cap projections (I mean I'm going high on the deals for Matthews, Marner and Nylander), then we will have trouble getting a full roster next year. One solution would be to trade Zaitsev for a cheaper option, maybe save a million or two off him and then we'll be fine.

The next year is really easy since Marleau is off the books.
Goldendelicious liked this.
Jul. 26, 2018 at 12:21 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
If we are being conservative with our cap projections (I mean I'm going high on the deals for Matthews, Marner and Nylander), then we will have trouble getting a full roster next year. One solution would be to trade Zaitsev for a cheaper option, maybe save a million or two off him and then we'll be fine.

The next year is really easy since Marleau is off the books.

Yes it becomes easier when Marleau is off the books but they unfortunately still have to sign Matthews and Marner before that happens. However, I do commend you for two things:
1) Not giving stupid bridge contracts to Matthews, Marner or Nylander
2) Not trading Marleau all willy-nilly and actually observing his NMC

Zaitsev is a an option to move if the Leafs can find a buyer. He would need to have a good showing to start the season and guys Liljegren need to prove they are getting ready for the jump. I think the better moves for the LEafs would be trying to move out Hyman and Brown for more cost effective options to play bottom 6 roles (even though Hyman plays top line for Babs).
Jul. 26, 2018 at 12:26 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Goldendelicious
Yes it becomes easier when Marleau is off the books but they unfortunately still have to sign Matthews and Marner before that happens. However, I do commend you for two things:
1) Not giving stupid bridge contracts to Matthews, Marner or Nylander
2) Not trading Marleau all willy-nilly and actually observing his NMC

Zaitsev is a an option to move if the Leafs can find a buyer. He would need to have a good showing to start the season and guys Liljegren need to prove they are getting ready for the jump. I think the better moves for the LEafs would be trying to move out Hyman and Brown for more cost effective options to play bottom 6 roles (even though Hyman plays top line for Babs).

My guess is they would move out Kapanen or Johnsson before they move either of Hyman or Brown. Personally I think Brown is greatly underrated, I think if he played a full season with Matthews or Tavares he'd be a 30 goal scorer easily.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:31 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
My guess is they would move out Kapanen or Johnsson before they move either of Hyman or Brown. Personally I think Brown is greatly underrated, I think if he played a full season with Matthews or Tavares he'd be a 30 goal scorer easily.

Love hyman and brown but just about anyone playing on our top 2 is going to put up great numbers. I’m thinking brown is going to be the one that needs to go. Too much money for a fourth liner. I don’t see kapanen or johnsson moving. If brown scores 30 on the Mathews line than Johnson scores 60. But I don’t think 30 for brown is reasonable either. 50 assists sounds more likely. I would think kapanen and johnsson play on 3rd line till we get them locked down for a few years. Then move them up.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:37 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
Love hyman and brown but just about anyone playing on our top 2 is going to put up great numbers. I’m thinking brown is going to be the one that needs to go. Too much money for a fourth liner. I don’t see kapanen or johnsson moving. If brown scores 30 on the Mathews line than Johnson scores 60. But I don’t think 30 for brown is reasonable either. 50 assists sounds more likely. I would think kapanen and johnsson play on 3rd line till we get them locked down for a few years. Then move them up.

Honestly who cares about those guys. Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, and Johnnson are all great guys and I love them but they are not likely long term Leafs. Unless they are willing to always take less money than they can get else where they'll be gone when they sign their 3rd contracts and replaced with an inexpensive Marlie. Hyman has 3 more years at which time if he puts up on average 50 points, he'll command over 4 million. I'd trade him for a cheaper and younger asset and move on. Same with Brown if he has a couple good years and wants more than he's making. Depth guys should always be cheap because if you are developing prospects right, you'll always have young guys should provide that role player depth.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:39 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Also depending on his play this year, maybe we get rid of carrick and use Holl. Saves you nearly 1million. As far as trading zaitsev... he went from -22 to +8 I don’t think it was all bad news last season. Have to see how he plays this season but if he plays to the expectations when he was signed I think we keep him.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:42 a.m.
Banned
Also depending on his play this year, maybe we get rid of carrick and use Holl. Saves you nearly 1million. As far as trading zaitsev... he went from -22 to +8 I don’t think it was all bad news last season. Have to see how he plays this season but if he plays to the expectations when he was signed I think we keep him.

Zaitsev's first half of the season was really good, everyone was saying his deal was a steal and the he'd be part of the core for a long time. Then he got hurt, struggled for a bit when he returned and then got an awful virus that flattened him and caused him to lose 20 lbs of muscle! It took until about game 3 for him to start playing better. I really think he needs a different partner than Gardiner. Gardiner puts Zaitsev in bad spots a lot with his roaming. I think having Hainsey and Zaitsev together would make both of those players far better.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:43 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Honestly who cares about those guys. Hyman, Brown, Kapanen, and Johnnson are all great guys and I love them but they are not likely long term Leafs. Unless they are willing to always take less money than they can get else where they'll be gone when they sign their 3rd contracts and replaced with an inexpensive Marlie. Hyman has 3 more years at which time if he puts up on average 50 points, he'll command over 4 million. I'd trade him for a cheaper and younger asset and move on. Same with Brown if he has a couple good years and wants more than he's making. Depth guys should always be cheap because if you are developing prospects right, you'll always have young guys should provide that role player depth.

I think you are saying the exact same thing as me. Hyman brown out (with some inflated numbers I hope) kapanen johnsson in, in about 4 years they are gone too.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:49 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Zaitsev's first half of the season was really good, everyone was saying his deal was a steal and the he'd be part of the core for a long time. Then he got hurt, struggled for a bit when he returned and then got an awful virus that flattened him and caused him to lose 20 lbs of muscle! It took until about game 3 for him to start playing better. I really think he needs a different partner than Gardiner. Gardiner puts Zaitsev in bad spots a lot with his roaming. I think having Hainsey and Zaitsev together would make both of those players far better.

I think hainsey needs to be on the third pair with carrick and maybe Holl for a bit. He’s already going to play a lot of minutes killing penalties. Problem is we have 3 Ld hainsey needs to stay on that right side for now. Unless we move gardiner over.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:53 a.m.
Banned
I think you are saying the exact same thing as me. Hyman brown out (with some inflated numbers I hope) kapanen johnsson in, in about 4 years they are gone too.

Kapanen or Johnsson may price themselves out this season since both will be RFA. One could get offersheeted if they put up bigger numbers. Lets say Kapanen plays either 3rd line or maybe moves higher up if there is an injury. If he plays with Matthews or Tavares, I think 30 goals is a real possibility, he does that, he'll need at least 3.5 for 2 years on his deal next summer. The Leafs just won't be able to afford that, so he could get offer sheeted for around 3 million and he'll be gone. Hyman and Brown are both under contract for another season.

So in my mind I think Kapanen or Brown may be gone next summer. Kapanen because he'll need a contract and Brown because he'll get a nice enough return.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 10:54 a.m.
Banned
I think hainsey needs to be on the third pair with carrick and maybe Holl for a bit. He’s already going to play a lot of minutes killing penalties. Problem is we have 3 Ld hainsey needs to stay on that right side for now. Unless we move gardiner over.

I'd like to see Dermott play on the right side with Rielly maybe. Or Rielly with Carrick, he's very much underrated and is really good at shot suppression. Hainsey on the left side of the bottom pairing will be good. I also am interested to see the new Russian guy they signed. He's a big body and a strong skater.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:07 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I'd like to see Dermott play on the right side with Rielly maybe. Or Rielly with Carrick, he's very much underrated and is really good at shot suppression. Hainsey on the left side of the bottom pairing will be good. I also am interested to see the new Russian guy they signed. He's a big body and a strong skater.

I like those ideas as well and yes ozhiganov is another good prospect. Think we have a lot of talented prospects, just takes a while to develop. Leafs have already been in talks with gardiner and Matthews about signing extensions. Can’t see us keeping gardiner with all of the young talent on the left side.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:12 a.m.
Banned
I like those ideas as well and yes ozhiganov is another good prospect. Think we have a lot of talented prospects, just takes a while to develop. Leafs have already been in talks with gardiner and Matthews about signing extensions. Can’t see us keeping gardiner with all of the young talent on the left side.

The Gardiner rumour was taken so far out of context its silly. A report from the Athletic mentioned that negotiations were happening with Matthews and the story also mentions if Gardiner is part of the core or not. It doesn't mention any negotiations. In my opinion there is no way they can keep him and because of that I say trade him before the season starts. Gardiner will want at least 5 million, likely a lot more and the Leafs just don't have the money next season. Trade him for future assets, then move Hainsey to the left side and Dermott higher up. Or hell, even see if Rosen or Borgman are ready to fit in. I'm not worried about the Leafs defence. The team is elite and will be fine.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:17 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Kapanen or Johnsson may price themselves out this season since both will be RFA. One could get offersheeted if they put up bigger numbers. Lets say Kapanen plays either 3rd line or maybe moves higher up if there is an injury. If he plays with Matthews or Tavares, I think 30 goals is a real possibility, he does that, he'll need at least 3.5 for 2 years on his deal next summer. The Leafs just won't be able to afford that, so he could get offer sheeted for around 3 million and he'll be gone. Hyman and Brown are both under contract for another season.

So in my mind I think Kapanen or Brown may be gone next summer. Kapanen because he'll need a contract and Brown because he'll get a nice enough return.

Lines will get juggled that’s for sure. I think if they both play the majority of the season with kadri (work on their d-game) I don’t see them putting up huge numbers. Will greatly depend on how healthy the team stays. Mind you if our third line puts up over 90 goals this year I won’t be too upset either lol.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:21 a.m.
Banned
Lines will get juggled that’s for sure. I think if they both play the majority of the season with kadri (work on their d-game) I don’t see them putting up huge numbers. Will greatly depend on how healthy the team stays. Mind you if our third line puts up over 90 goals this year I won’t be too upset either lol.

Kadri's line will spend a lot of time playing against 3rd liners, they are going to dominate on the road when teams will match up their best players against Matthews and Tavares. I see Kadri having a big year and with two talented guys like Kapanen and Johnnson or even Brown will make for an exciting third line.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:51 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
The Gardiner rumour was taken so far out of context its silly. A report from the Athletic mentioned that negotiations were happening with Matthews and the story also mentions if Gardiner is part of the core or not. It doesn't mention any negotiations. In my opinion there is no way they can keep him and because of that I say trade him before the season starts. Gardiner will want at least 5 million, likely a lot more and the Leafs just don't have the money next season. Trade him for future assets, then move Hainsey to the left side and Dermott higher up. Or hell, even see if Rosen or Borgman are ready to fit in. I'm not worried about the Leafs defence. The team is elite and will be fine.

Not a rumour, confirmed it on tsn radio. He can’t be resigned without losing too many other pieces though.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:52 a.m.
Banned
Not a rumour, confirmed it on tsn radio. He can’t be resigned without losing too many other pieces though.

I agree, plus I think with his age, it would be better to spend money on younger guys with more potential than giving money to a guy who's best years are likely behind him.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:55 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
i was thinking more of a trade deadline deal.
Jul. 27, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
Banned
i was thinking more of a trade deadline deal.

If you don't trade him before the season starts, I think you keep him and let him walk.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll