Trade suggestions for Seguin. Pacioretty and Panarin

Created by: Paatre
Team: 2018-19 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 12, 2018
Published: Aug. 13, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Tyler Seguin

Dallas needs centers, that's for sure. Especially one for top 6 role, preferably top 3, if Seguin leaves. Sharks don't have one for Dallas in the short term which makes this trade the hardest one to become reality. All I could think of is Josh Norris who can become top 6 center easily but maybe more of a solid 2nd line center than a 1st line one. Then again, if his development keeps accelerating, I see that a possibility. Sharks need certainty in these bigger trades which is why I have those two 2nd round picks as conditionals. Then again, Dallas could gain three 1st round picks (when Norris is included also) on this trade, which is a lot. I think this is a fair trade for both parties. If the trade needs more assets from SJS' side, it can't be that much. Maybe Letunov?

Max Pacioretty

Montreal is an interesting team to trade with. Their roster depth is kinda wonky which leads to a point that they have needs in almost every position. If Pacioretty leaves, they have one more need in LW also 'cause Domi isn't a first line winger. They have Kotkaniemi and Olofsson coming which is a one thing going for them. That's why I have Balcers on this trade who is Sharks' best winger prospect at the moment. Donskoi could add depth to the team and mesh well with Lehkonen. The team has three Finnish players already on their roster and with Donskoi also, it would help Kotkaniemi's jump to the NHL with these players. Donskoi personal play is filled with high energy and speed which Montreal needs. Max Pacioretty isn't worth two 1st round picks, even as conditional 2nd rounders, but there has to be at least one. I could add one 2nd-3rd rounder to the bag if really needed.

Artemi Panarin

Panarin is the player who I want the most to wear a Sharks jersey. He would round out Sharks' top 6 perfectly and he is one of the most impactful wingers in the NHL. His trade value is somewhat the same as Seguin's, maybe a tad higher but not much. If Panarin leaves CBJ, they have a prolem with their identity: do they wait for their prospects like Marchenko and Foudy to pan out or do they continue their push to win the Cup. They do have Jones, Dubois, Werenski and Bobrovsky. That's why I have both a prospect and a roster player included in this trade. Balcers and Marchenko can be both be impactful in the NHL and make a splash as a duo. Labanc is evolving his game also and can be at least a 20-goal scorer from this point on. Then the same draft picks with the same conditions as the Seguin trade has.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
Norris, Josh
1$925,000
Balcers, Rudolfs
3$925,000
Trades
DAL
  1. Norris, Josh
Additional Details:
Conditional 2019 2nd round pick (FLA): if Seguin re-signs with SJS, the pick changes to a 2020 1st round pick (SJS).
Conditional 2020 2nd round pick (SJS): if SJS wins Stanley Cup in 2018-19, the pick changes to 2021 1st round pick (SJS).
2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
MTL
  1. Balcers, Rūdolfs
  2. Donskoi, Joonas
Additional Details:
Conditional 2019 2nd round pick (FLA): if Pacioretty re-signs with SJS, the pick changes to a 2020 1st round pick (SJS).
CBJ
  1. Balcers, Rudolfs
  2. Labanc, Kevin
Additional Details:
Conditional 2019 2nd round pick (FLA): if Panarin re-signs with SJS, the pick changes to a 2020 1st round pick (SJS).
Conditional 2020 2nd round pick (SJS): if SJS wins Stanley Cup in 2018-19, the pick changes to 2021 1st round pick (SJS).
2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$79,500,000$81,813,334$0$1,275,000-$2,313,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 1
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LW
UFA - 1
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,937,500$2,937,500
C
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 8
$3,800,000$3,800,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,900,000$1,900,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,635,000$1,635,000
LD
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 13, 2018 at 7:45 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Pretty obvious that Montreal will trade Patches, since it the they want a return for him since they are going to finish out of the playoffs with/without him. But why would Sequin or Panarin be traded? Columbus considers itself contenders and would need Panarin for a playoff run. Dallas despite a poor season still think they are at least a playoff team and would only be weakened without Sequin. I know it's an obsession for some ACGMs that ALL upcoming UFAs MUST be traded, the reality is few get traded during the year or at trade TDL. Playoff bound teams do not trade their best players 99% of the tine for futures.
Your trades do seem fair if trades were to be made.
Paatre liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 8:05 a.m.
Donkey Lover
Quoting: palhal
Pretty obvious that Montreal will trade Patches, since it the they want a return for him since they are going to finish out of the playoffs with/without him. But why would Sequin or Panarin be traded? Columbus considers itself contenders and would need Panarin for a playoff run. Dallas despite a poor season still think they are at least a playoff team and would only be weakened without Sequin. I know it's an obsession for some ACGMs that ALL upcoming UFAs MUST be traded, the reality is few get traded during the year or at trade TDL. Playoff bound teams do not trade their best players 99% of the tine for futures.
Your trades do seem fair if trades were to be made.

Panarin is widely speculated to be traded also. It's true that it is not as obvious than what's the case with Patches. Of course they want to keep Panarin, but it's a big gamble to leave the trade possibility to next offseason due to what happened with Tavares. I know the leave of Tavares was a rare thing to happen and it doesn't mean that now every player will do the same thing. But Panarin being who he is and how skilled he is, I don't think CBJ wants to risk not getting the big return what they would gain with Panarin. Of course they want to keep him, that's for sure. Time tells. Some fire was also lit up when Elliotte Friedman talked about Panarin and how he could possibly fit in the Sharks.

I agree what you said about Seguin. I'm like 80/20 in favour of Seguin staying in Dallas even though he would be a great addition to Sharks. One thing that has occured to me is that star players doesn't always follow the most logical path 'cause their feelings and emotions come into play also. That's why we can't know 100% does he want to stay in Dallas in terms of seeing Dallas as a cup contender. I think that's what matters to him at this point. But yeah, I can agree with you quite a lot for what you said.

Nice to know the trades are fair. Thanks for commenting!
Aug. 13, 2018 at 8:25 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Paatre. Panarin being traded is more a social media phenon. The fact that doesn't want to sign long term now and will likely leave as a UFA doesn't diminish his immediate value to the CBJ right now. If traded, I would think he would be traded for a good NHLer that could help right now. With Werenski injured till January maybe a LHD .
Sharks sure look they will have a lot of cap next season, 11m with the Pavelski. and Thorntonhaving expiring contracts. Going to interesting how that money is spent. What do think of the Couture extension? As beloved as he as a Shark, keeping till age 39...seems poor management of the cap to me, unless he's another Joe Thornton.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 9:13 a.m.
Donkey Lover
Quoting: palhal
Paatre. Panarin being traded is more a social media phenon. The fact that doesn't want to sign long term now and will likely leave as a UFA doesn't diminish his immediate value to the CBJ right now. If traded, I would think he would be traded for a good NHLer that could help right now. With Werenski injured till January maybe a LHD .
Sharks sure look they will have a lot of cap next season, 11m with the Pavelski. and Thorntonhaving expiring contracts. Going to interesting how that money is spent. What do think of the Couture extension? As beloved as he as a Shark, keeping till age 39...seems poor management of the cap to me, unless he's another Joe Thornton.

True. I also think other teams have better to offer for Panarin. For me these trade suggestions are partly valuations of Sharks prospects and trade packages. And if/when the trades happen for real, it's fun to check how the real value differs from my own valuations.

I think Couture's extension is fine. This is how the league operates with contracts at the moment. The contracts' term and money are increasing which can make at least interesting cap situations in the future. Of course he can't live up to that $8M contract when he gets older but at the moment he has earned every penny. Some teams like Nashville, Boston and Pittsburg has done really well with their contracts but for me it's just an exception if the player doesn't need those big contracts what they are 100% entitled to have. Those things are really valuable for teams. That said, luckily the salary inflation does its own job on these matters. $8M isn't the same $8M let's say in 5-8 years. Then again, a new lockout can change things up a bit. In my eyes Logan will still be about a $6M guy with the way he plays, even though his real cap hit is $8M.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 9:23 a.m.
Doesnt Panarin want the East Coast?
Aug. 13, 2018 at 9:29 a.m.
Donkey Lover
Quoting: KennyBeans
Doesnt Panarin want the East Coast?

There was this rumour that he wants to go to Florida or New York. But on his alleged preferation list was also LA, so I don't really know what are his true motives when it comes to preferring one city over another. Who knows.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 10:33 a.m.
You’re wild if you think you can get any of these guys without at least a guaranteed first round, even if it is just a rental.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 12:32 p.m.
Donkey Lover
Quoting: MeLeenyk_Out
You’re wild if you think you can get any of these guys without at least a guaranteed first round, even if it is just a rental.

Hmm. What's your proposal to these trades if a guaranteed first round pick is included?
Aug. 13, 2018 at 1:35 p.m.
mothariah
I see this is a very loaded question. First, all three would be welcome additions to SJ. I think you want them in this order: Seguin, Panarin, then Pacioretty. Also, you are only getting one of the three. That is also the hierarchy of their value, so Seguin will command the highest package going back.

I don't see Seguin moving, and probably not to SJ in a trade.

Panarin will require a 1st (only condition will be like a top-5 pick, not based on re-signing), a 3rd (that would move to a 1st/2nd if he re-signs), a good, young roster player (Meier?) and a high level prospect (Norris?). That would get the job done, and I think both sides could be happy with that.

Pacioretty would probably look like a 2nd (bumps to 1st if he re-sings), a 4th, a center (Tierney?), and a prospect (Letunov?).

Personally, I want Panarin. I think he is the best fit for the team. He would play with Couture, and give the Sharks two really good lines (Kane/Pavelski being the other). The question is, can you give up a 1st (which you don't have one in 2019 anyways) and your best prospect in Timo Meier, and another good prospect for one season of Panarin? The answer is no or the deal would have been done already. If you got him for 8 or 9 years (i.e., re-signed), heck yeah you do that deal. If you don't know how long you get Panarin, you try to bring the price down. Try to keep Norris and give a lesser prospect, or keep Meier and give up Labanc or somebody.

The Jackets also don't necessarily look like they want to deal him. They have a shot at a big run this year, assuming everyone stays healthy and they get the median between 2016-17 and 2017-18 versions of guys like Wennberg.

Therefore, you best bet is Pacioretty. I like the idea, but you can't give up too much for the guy. Again, he could walk, and he's also older. I'm down with your value for Pacioretty. I think the good prospect, a decent middle-six guy, and a 2nd/1st would be a good starting point. They will likely ask for Tierney over Donskoi (more value to Montreal), and Meier instead of Balcers (again, advantage Habs). You probably have to compromise there and say Tierney and Balcers plus picks.
Paatre liked this.
Aug. 13, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
There was a good conversation on the PDOcast between Craig Custance and the host and they were saying that the sharks would absolutely make sense to land Panarin as they’ve missed out on a couple big names recently. They also said which I’m in agreement with; the sharks don’t have very much in terms of futures that they can offer up especially with them not having a first. Columbus has also said that they would be looking at more of an immediate return rather than a package of future pieces so maybe that bodes a bit better for SJ. Personally I think that the Stastny deal at the deadline would have to be the starting point for any trade of this magnitude. That means a guaranteed first and a B list prospect as a return. Seguin and Panarin would command significantly more than Stastny but Pacioretty would be the closest to that although I could see a bit more being given for him as well. For a player of seguin or Panarin’s caliber I wouldn’t be surprised to see a player like Hertl or Meier traded with other pieces on each side of the deal.
Paatre and mothariah liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll