Forums/Armchair-GM

Just having a little Trade Deadline fun

Created by: SuprDave45
Team: 2018-19 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 17, 2018
Published: Aug. 17, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Obviously little of this has the potential of happening outside of the Spooner deal. But, from a value standpoint I feel like these might work for both sides.

Buffalo gets some much needed depth in the middle or on the wing without having to give up any of their top tier prospects. The Rangers get a solid prospect and pick.

Toronto gets a scoring depth rental with tons of experience and leadership, affordable back end help with grit who can play both sides (obviously this implies Smith had a good bounce/top 4 year), a talented offensive RHD prospect to soften the loss of Liljegren AND a 2nd with the chance of becoming a 1st should Tampa win the cup (not something Toronto would want obviously lol...but a consolation prize nonetheless). The Rangers get a potential top pair RHD prospect and a pick.

Winnipeg gets that C depth they've been searching for all season after the loss of Stastny, AND the deal has nothing to do with anyone named Trouba (that alone should get a star!) without giving up any of their top tier prospects. The Rangers get a nice prospect and move up a little by swapping picks.

The Rangers also end the frenzy of moves with a healthy amount of cap space for who-knows-what during the off season.

Part 2 will refer to the following season.
Trades
NYR
  1. Asplund, Rasmus
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (BUF)
BUF
  1. Spooner, Ryan
  2. 2019 5th round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Liljegren, Timothy
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Deangelo, Anthony
  2. Smith, Brendan ($1,350,000 retained)
  3. Zuccarello, Mats
  4. 2019 2nd round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
* Tampa's pick has conditional ability to become a 1st.
NYR
  1. Appleton, Mason
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (WPG)
WPG
  1. Hayes, Kevin
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (TOR)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$60,261,110$0$3,452,500$19,238,890
Left WingCentreRight Wing
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 3
$741,667$741,667 (Performance Bonus$25,000$25K)
RW
UFA - 2
$845,000$845,000 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW, C
RFA - 3
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,275,000$2,275,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
UFA - 3
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
RFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
UFA - 6
$6,650,000$6,650,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167
RD
RFA - 4
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
D
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 17, 2018 at 9:21 a.m.
At first glance that's a huge overpay for Liljegren, but on second though, that's actually kinda of an underpay. The only useful piece of that deal is the TB 2nd which could be a first if they win the cup. Otherwise, Zucc is a FA and really doesn't fit in the top 6, and DeAngelo and Smith are highly inferior to Liljegren. Liljegren may still be a year away from the big league but I don't think TOR panics and floods their roster and drains their cap with Smith and DeAngelo. I think this is a case of quality vs quantity and frankly the rangers don't have the quality.
Aug. 17, 2018 at 9:32 a.m.
Quoting: sidsoul88
At first glance that's a huge overpay for Liljegren, but on second though, that's actually kinda of an underpay. The only useful piece of that deal is the TB 2nd which could be a first if they win the cup. Otherwise, Zucc is a FA and really doesn't fit in the top 6, and DeAngelo and Smith are highly inferior to Liljegren. Liljegren may still be a year away from the big league but I don't think TOR panics and floods their roster and drains their cap with Smith and DeAngelo. I think this is a case of quality vs quantity and frankly the rangers don't have the quality.

You're leaving out the deadline aspect of making the deal in the first place. Teams pay a steep price for rentals in the hope of winning a cup, which is Toronto's presumed motivation in the first place. This deal not only offers the rental = cup aspect, it also gives future pieces in DeAngelo and the 2nd/1st, so they get kind of a "cake and eat it too" deal. They also have Smith's services for 2 more seasons. I am not saying there isn't wiggle room to make the deal right, for sure....but it's in the ballpark.
Aug. 17, 2018 at 9:56 a.m.
Quoting: SuprDave45
You're leaving out the deadline aspect of making the deal in the first place. Teams pay a steep price for rentals in the hope of winning a cup, which is Toronto's presumed motivation in the first place. This deal not only offers the rental = cup aspect, it also gives future pieces in DeAngelo and the 2nd/1st, so they get kind of a "cake and eat it too" deal. They also have Smith's services for 2 more seasons. I am not saying there isn't wiggle room to make the deal right, for sure....but it's in the ballpark.

yeah but the only rental in this deal is Zucc. at the end of the season they'll have the rights to deangelo now worth nothing and 3m on the books for the traffic cone that is brendan smith. they cant afford that when realizing they'll need deals for matthews and marner
Aug. 17, 2018 at 10:23 a.m.
Quoting: linehan10
yeah but the only rental in this deal is Zucc. at the end of the season they'll have the rights to deangelo now worth nothing and 3m on the books for the traffic cone that is brendan smith. they cant afford that when realizing they'll need deals for matthews and marner

Zucc is a rental, but Brendan Smith is also a deadline piece that potentially fills a need for the playoff push...so, no it's not just Zucc.

Brendan Smith is a traffic cone? lol

He had a real bad season last year, no question...but not because he can't skate, don't get carried away. Again, I made specific mention of the bounce back season, otherwise the deal would obviously need a different piece. 3M for a middle pair defenseman is a bargain. My understanding was that Toronto needs depth on defense, he can be plugged in anywhere from 3 to 6D as he plays both sides. As for the cap, I am constantly seeing posts here by Toronto fans justifying how they have ample cap to resign their players and more...you sure they can't afford 3M???

DeAngelo would obviously need to be resigned, but he would be an RFA...how is that worth nothing?
Aug. 17, 2018 at 11:22 a.m.

I see what you are saying and agree that the TDL aspect raising the stakes. My thinking though is TOR is really high on Liljegren and while Zucc may be the best player on the NYR roster I don't think his value, even with a 2nd (potential first) is high enough for TOR to part with one of their top D prospects at a time when they need D.

I also would love for Smith to have a bounce back season but his value right now is 0 if not in the negative.
SuprDave45 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2018 at 11:26 a.m.
I see what you are saying and agree that the TDL aspect raising the stakes. My thinking though is TOR is really high on Liljegren and while Zucc may be the best player on the NYR roster I don't think his value, even with a 2nd (potential first) is high enough for TOR to part with one of their top D prospects at a time when they need D.

I also would love for Smith to have a bounce back season but his value right now is 0 if not in the negative.

Agreed, the Smith thing is a big "if", and his value is certainly non-existent atm. He's going to get every opportunity to reverse that this season, fingers crossed!

I saw the deal as a get now and pay later thing from Toronto's standpoint. It's certainly a negotiable thing, maybe include some combination of Pionk/Smith/DeAngelo (whichever 2 satisfies the deal). Again, this will come down to what each of these guys do during the upcoming season. Smith would seem to fit the need of D depth for a playoff push (given the bounce-back), and Pionk seems like more of a steady/sure thing than the high end/bang or bust DeAngelo?
Aug. 17, 2018 at 11:58 a.m.
Eichel Tower
Five stars, nice job. If a person first thinks a deal favors one team then reexams the trade and switches maybe it is a close trade. But just an observation. On the other hand since Spooner should be a Sabre if DATM had pulled the trigger, I would think Betterall would do that trade.
Let's make deal cheers
SuprDave45 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 17, 2018 at 12:13 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
Five stars, nice job. If a person first thinks a deal favors one team then reexams the trade and switches maybe it is a close trade. But just an observation. On the other hand since Spooner should be a Sabre if DATM had pulled the trigger, I would think Betterall would do that trade.
Let's make deal cheers

Yeah, I mean granted it might seem like a bit of a stretch to ask for Liljigren, Toronto could easily say he's "untouchable". But really, if you dissect each of the pieces being moved and put them into individual deals...the sum return has to be pretty high. The potential 1st rd pick alone could come close to a player on par (Liljigren was a 17th overall pick). It's not to say they wouldn't say no, just saying it isn't some outlandish offer. I would love to hear from some Leaf fans here.

I think Spooner's a better player than all the nonsense you hear out of Boston, he'd fit right in with Buffalo imo.
GMTD and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 17, 2018 at 12:36 p.m.
Yeah, I mean granted it might seem like a bit of a stretch to ask for Liljigren, Toronto could easily say he's "untouchable". But really, if you dissect each of the pieces being moved and put them into individual deals...the sum return has to be pretty high. The potential 1st rd pick alone could come close to a player on par (Liljigren was a 17th overall pick). It's not to say they wouldn't say no, just saying it isn't some outlandish offer. I would love to hear from some Leaf fans here.

I think Spooner's a better player than all the nonsense you hear out of Boston, he'd fit right in with Buffalo imo.

Liljegren also fell quite a bit in his draft year. He was top 5 i think before getting injured or sick or something. I can't remember exactly.
SuprDave45 liked this.
Aug. 17, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
Liljegren also fell quite a bit in his draft year. He was top 5 i think before getting injured or sick or something. I can't remember exactly.

Very true, just saying you could in essence recoup the lost asset with a good pick. Bode Wilde went 41st (2nd rd) last year...just an example.
Aug. 17, 2018 at 5:14 p.m.
Zucc is a rental, but Brendan Smith is also a deadline piece that potentially fills a need for the playoff push...so, no it's not just Zucc.

Brendan Smith is a traffic cone? lol

He had a real bad season last year, no question...but not because he can't skate, don't get carried away. Again, I made specific mention of the bounce back season, otherwise the deal would obviously need a different piece. 3M for a middle pair defenseman is a bargain. My understanding was that Toronto needs depth on defense, he can be plugged in anywhere from 3 to 6D as he plays both sides. As for the cap, I am constantly seeing posts here by Toronto fans justifying how they have ample cap to resign their players and more...you sure they can't afford 3M???

DeAngelo would obviously need to be resigned, but he would be an RFA...how is that worth nothing?

Well DeAngelo isn't great, for starters. But secondly, you're completely correct with your analysis that my analysis of Brendan Smith isn't fair. But, if he doesn't return to form, a team that will be in cap hell like Toronto can't afford to have him at $3m. Every dollar counts for them. Also he was a traffic cone last year, just saying
Aug. 17, 2018 at 5:35 p.m.
Quoting: linehan10
Well DeAngelo isn't great, for starters. But secondly, you're completely correct with your analysis that my analysis of Brendan Smith isn't fair. But, if he doesn't return to form, a team that will be in cap hell like Toronto can't afford to have him at $3m. Every dollar counts for them. Also he was a traffic cone last year, just saying

Again, this proposal was situational, mainly that these players have a solid year and are desirable at the deadline. DeAngelo and Smith are going to have lots of playing time to prove themselves either way. If they fail to, then this becomes moot anyway...as Toronto wouldn't be remotely interested and rightfully so.

The "traffic cone" and "isn't great" stuff just sounds like easy qualifiers that aren't really accurate. It's like people saying Halak is a horrible goalie...or Ho-Sang is a bust. Sure, I heard it on TV somewhere, or someone posted it on capfriendly...so it must be true! But, if you watch the games and dig into the stats, you come to understand there's a lot more to the story. Anyway...we can shelve their judgement till season's end, we shall see! By then it will completely earned as far as DeAngelo and Smith are concerned.
eatfreshrefresh liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll