Opening Night Lineup Prediction amp Analysis

Created by: SankFeravalli
Team: 2018-19 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 29, 2018
Published: Sep. 29, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Forward Line 1
Not much to say about this group. They were terrific together last season, and will have to be consistent offensive catalysts with some talented but inexperienced players further down the lineup.

Forward Line 2
Bednar has been adamant about keeping Jost and Kerfoot together on line 2, and they’ve developed some chemistry this preseason. It looks like they want Jost to play at center, and Kerfoot at left wing, though Kerfoot ca support on face offs since he’s a natural centerman. It will be interesting to see who the right wing will be on this line. It was ‘18 1st rounders Martin Kaut for the beginning of the preseason, but he was sent down a few days ago and Colin Wilson played on the second line last night. Matt Calvert also played a few shifts on this line last night too. I think Sven Andrighetto would fit well with Kerfoot and Jost when get gets healthy. The development of the second line will be an interesting story this season.

Forward Line 3
Predictably, Carl Soderberg will be the anchor on this line for the fourth season. He had a strong bouceback year last season after a brutal 2016-17 campaign. For his first three years in Colorado, he and Blake Comeau were inseparable on the ice. With Comeau gone, I think the coaches will look for Matt Calvert to fill that role on Soderberg’s wing. Calvert brings a bit more speed and skill that Comeau, and is also a very effective penalty killer. Matt Nieto spent all of last season as the left wing on Soderberg’s line, so it’s a safe guess to think he ends up there again. However, I think we could also see the Avs try adding more skill to that line in the form of JT Compher, Vladislav Kamenev, Colin Wilson or Sven Andrighetto. Overall, I would expect Bednar to lean on this line to eat up tough defensive minutes and provide stability in the middle of the lineup, just like he did last season.

Forward Line 4
Of the top 9 shapes up the way I’m guessing it will, then I would expect Bednar to play Kamenev and Compher together on the fourth line. He has been adamant about playing Kamenev at center, even though Kamenev has experience playing on the wing and center is an organizational position of strength. Compher can play either of his wings, and support on faceoffs as a righty. Gabriel Bourque is a safe play at wing, but I think rookie Logan O’Connor could challenge for a spot in the lineup. If they want to flank Kamenev with more skill, then Andrighetto would fit nicely on this line when he returns to the ice.

Forward Scratches
Logan O’Connor was signed as an I drafted college free agent out of Denver, and really impressed during training camp. Toninato was signed out of UMD last season, and played roughly half the season as the 4th line center. If Andrighetto had not gone down with injury, I think it would have been between these two for the last forward spot. Now they both have the chance to make an inpression during the regular season, and try to earn a roster spot for the whole year.

Defense Pair 1
Erik Johnson has been the Avs top defenseman for years, but has always struggled with two things: injury, and not having a consistent defensive partner. While player personnel changes won’t help him stay healthy, the Avs have much better options to be his D partner than they’ve had in the past. Last year he spent most of the season paired with young Nikita Zadorov, which worked out well. He also got some time next to an even younger Sam Girard. Both are excellent skaters and can move the puck, and they compliment each other well. The biggest concern about Girard’s game is his size, but he is an underrated defender who is very smart and uses his stick extremely well. He also added 15 pounds to his frame this offseason to help him battle on the boards and in front of the net. Assistant coach Nolan Pratt is not afraid to mix up his pair situationally, so I do think that Ian Cole will see a decent amount of time with Erik Johnson in tough defensive situations.

Defense Pair 2
Similar to the top pair, this is a very mobile duo on the back end. Zadorov is a big, physical defender who moves well for his size, and has underrated puck skills. Barrie is one of the better offensive defensemen in the NHL, and is a huge part of Colorado’s secondary scoring. This pair came together late last season when Erik Johnson went down with injruy, and they played very well together. They have been together all preseason and will start the regular season as Colorado’s #2 pairing.

Defense Pair 3/Scratches
Free agent addition Ian Cole is the constant on this pairing. He’s a reliable shut-down defenseman, and I do think he will see some minutes on the top pairing in heavy defensive situations, as I mentioned previously. His partner on the third pair will either be Patrik Nemeth or Mark Barberio. Cole and Nemeth play similar styles and would create a boring but defensively reliable third pair. Barberio is a better skater and puck mover than Nemeth. He and Cole looked good together for the first time yesterday. Barberio is more mistake prone than Nemeth, however. Regardless, this is the best third pairing Colorado has had to start the season in a very long time. They should also expect some reinforcements, as prospects Conor Timmins and Nicolas Meloche could push to make their NHL debuts this season, and ‘17 4th overall pick Cale Makar will likely step in to Colorado’s lineup after his college season ends in the spring.

Goaltenders
I think Varlamov is still the guy to start the season, but the Avalanche should give Grubauer every opportunity to become the #1, given the commitment they made by trading for and signing him. I expect them to more-or-less split starts. Varlamov’s injury history, combined with the organization’s desire to see Grubauer win the job should lead to a fairly even split, and a good competition for the net every night.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$64,808,928$0$2,407,500$14,691,072

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 5
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$885,833$885,833 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
UFA - 2
$3,937,500$3,937,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$833,333$833,333
C
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 3
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 29, 2018 at 1:56 p.m.
really happy with the D core this season. Barberio was fantastic last game and even with an injury we have 3 solid D lines.

my only concern is Kamenev, not sure if he is ready for a full time NHL role yet. I also wish they kept Kaut at least for the first 9 games to see how he played.

for the first 9 games my ideal lines would be:

macranteskog
kerfoot-jost-kaut
nieto-soderberg-calvert
bourque-compher-wilson

girard-EJ
Z-barrie
barberio/nemeth-cole

varly
gru

then if Kaut seems shaky then Wilson/Andrighetto (if hes healthy) can fill line 2 RW and Kamenev/Toninato can fill the spot on line 4
SankFeravalli liked this.
Sep. 29, 2018 at 2:11 p.m.
2nd in the central
Sep. 29, 2018 at 2:21 p.m.
LOL Why not just switch Wilson and Kerfoot if they're both on their off wings?
Sep. 29, 2018 at 2:21 p.m.
Cheers to your very detailed description of the Avs.

I'd like to see Andrighetto on the 2. line as well. That line could be flying out there with all three having some nice wheels to their game.

I really think Girard is going to fire up this season. 15 pounds heavier and hopefully still as agile and with the same level of flair for the game, I really believe that he could be a reliable offensive D, who could play a solid 18-20 min. a game.

I hope to see Kerfoot and Jost level up their game as they gained a full season of experience. I like Jost in the middle with his speed and Kerfoot with his creativity on the wing. Wilson could be usefull with his gritty game and make room for Kerfoot and Jost.

I really like the Avs this year and looking forward to see how everything goes.

For the goaltending part I think Varly is the no.1 go-to guy to start out with. We all know he's prone to injuries, so maybe giving him 45-55 starts and Gruby takes the rest. Would keep both of them healthy through out the season and both of them fresh for PO if that happens.
SankFeravalli liked this.
Sep. 29, 2018 at 2:22 p.m.
same with Compher and Bourque...
Sep. 29, 2018 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: JelloPony

same with Compher and Bourque...

They’re not. That’s just how capfriendly lists them. Wilson and Compher can play all 3 positions. Kerfoot plays center and LW, Bourque can play either wing.
JelloPony liked this.
Sep. 29, 2018 at 3:37 p.m.

they arent. capfriendly just doesnt update positions that frequently
JelloPony liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll