Forums/Armchair-GM

Just an insight to see how much trouble TOR will be in due to their cap

Created by: Strobez
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 17, 2018
Published: Oct. 17, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
What roster will look like if TOR decides to keep Nylander and sign him long term. I also decided not to sign Gardiner since I dont think TOR will keep him with the likes of Dermott and Borgman coming up
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,050,000
2$995,000
4$4,875,000
2$985,000
7$8,650,000
8$12,750,000
2$950,000
2$950,000
1$950,000
2$950,000
2$985,000
2$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
2$985,000
2$800,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Nylander, William
7$7,650,000
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$79,078,333$0$0$421,667
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$12,750,000$12,750,000
C
UFA - 5
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,650,000$8,650,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Nylander, William
$7,650,000$7,650,000
$995,000$995,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$985,000$985,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RD
UFA
$985,000$985,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 17, 2018 at 8:43 p.m.
i think matthews will get more like 11 million
Oct. 17, 2018 at 8:46 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Too much on kappy nylander and marner not enough to the other guys. Matthews May or may not be to high.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 9:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Why are the Leafs in cap trouble ? Trouble with cap is when teams have too many bad value contracts, or are carrying retention on contracts or are carrying money on buyouts. Leafs don't have much bad money, especially compared to some other clubs. So if the Leafs have their good players signed to good contracts, and they are still going over the cap, then it's matter of trading a good player for good value How is that trouble?

But 20 goal scorer Nylander isn't getting 7.6m which would that make a top 5 paid RWer....Now that would create cap trouble. He certainly isn't getting that money from Leafs...maybe any team. Even Marner isn't going to get paid top 3 RW money. Kapanen seems high too. Oh, and the cap will be about 83m next year.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 9:33 p.m.
Honestly, palhal, besides Rielly in the above, that d looks very suspect, doesn’t it? This season, with Gardiner and Hainsey along with a dynamic forward group minus Nylander, Toronto is on a torrid scoring pace and could maintain 5 goals per game all year, IMO and seriously contend for the Cup! Next year, with Willy but nilly on defense, they might have to score 6-7 goals a night to win but might not be as complete of a team. Just saying...
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:00 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: graderman
Honestly, palhal, besides Rielly in the above, that d looks very suspect, doesn’t it? This season, with Gardiner and Hainsey along with a dynamic forward group minus Nylander, Toronto is on a torrid scoring pace and could maintain 5 goals per game all year, IMO and seriously contend for the Cup! Next year, with Willy but nilly on defense, they might have to score 6-7 goals a night to win but might not be as complete of a team. Just saying...

Replace Holl with liljegren and it looks a whole lot better. Will be either Borgman Rosen or sandin on the bottom left. 3 of the top 4 are playing really well this year in the nhl and liljegren is still developing playing top minutes for the marlies. We should be fine... that D looks better just because hainsey is gone lol.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:05 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Replace Holl with liljegren and it looks a whole lot better. Will be either Borgman Rosen or sandin on the bottom left. 3 of the top 4 are playing really well this year in the nhl and liljegren is still developing playing top minutes for the marlies. We should be fine... that D looks better just because hainsey is gone lol.
It may be a good problem to have or be in, talent-wise, but that’s asking an awful lot for that many real young defensemen, IMO.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:08 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
It may be a good problem to have or be in, talent-wise, but that’s asking an awful lot for that many real young defensemen, IMO.

Liljegren will be the only really young one and have the least amount of experience but yes in order for things to work without making any moves liljegren will need to be good. We are banking on it and he hasn’t given us any reason to doubt it so far.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:10 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Hi Graderman. How's your mum? This suspect defence is getting to be kinda silly at this site. Last year, despite having the 12th best GAA...yea kinda average, folks complained about the Leafs allowing too many shots...fifth most in the league. Now that the Leafs have allowed 13 most shots per game.....year kinda average, I haven't heard one Leaf hater....saying that's an improvement.
Even last year, Leafs had the identical GAA as Washington....oh they won the Cup,.
Reilly is playing well...very well. Dermot is playing well. Zaitsev good, Ozzie in last two games....in a new league has played well. Hainsey despite a lot of questionable complaints, 6 points and a plus 7. No I don't the Leafs defence is suspect Yes I would like improvement but geez, wouldn't most teams? And the last two games....2 goals and a win in Washington, and last game 1 goal against LA with Sparks in net. And all folks want to talk about is that the Leafs scored four goals in each of those two games....and they won't be able to keep up that pace.

But on my original post, I was commenting that the Leafs have the ability to sign all their stars. Now if the have to trade one to strengthen another area....maybe for a defenceman, it's possible to do if you have players signed to reasonable contracts. But isn't that the same what all teams are trying to achieve? Having as many good players on good contracts and then finding the mix to make your roster is how all teams want to make their rosters.

I don't know why you would even think the Leafs defence would be worse next year than this year. Sure Gardiner and Hainsey will be gone, but they can replaced either internally or by acquisitions.
GenXHockey liked this.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:11 p.m.
Liljegren will be the only really young one and have the least amount of experience but yes in order for things to work without making any moves liljegren will need to be good. We are banking on it and he hasn’t given us any reason to doubt it so far.
You bet. He was a steal at 1-17 in ‘17!
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:13 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
You bet. He was a steal at 1-17 in ‘17!

Yup a little bit of mono really helped the leafs out that year... he was being projected to go in top 10 and some had him in the top 5 before he got sick.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:18 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Yup a little bit of mono really helped the leafs out that year... he was being projected to go in top 10 and some had him in the top 5 before he got sick.

Too bad Sandin....first round pick in 2018 is out with an injury right now. Would have liked see him the AHL at least to start the season.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:24 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Hi Graderman. How's your mum? This suspect defence is getting to be kinda silly at this site. Last year, despite having the 12th best GAA...yea kinda average, folks complained about the Leafs allowing too many shots...fifth most in the league. Now that the Leafs have allowed 13 most shots per game.....year kinda average, I haven't heard one Leaf hater....saying that's an improvement.
Even last year, Leafs had the identical GAA as Washington....oh they won the Cup,.
Reilly is playing well...very well. Dermot is playing well. Zaitsev good, Ozzie in last two games....in a new league has played well. Hainsey despite a lot of questionable complaints, 6 points and a plus 7. No I don't the Leafs defence is suspect Yes I would like improvement but geez, wouldn't most teams? And the last two games....2 goals and a win in Washington, and last game 1 goal against LA with Sparks in net. And all folks want to talk about is that the Leafs scored four goals in each of those two games....and they won't be able to keep up that pace.

But on my original post, I was commenting that the Leafs have the ability to sign all their stars. Now if the have to trade one to strengthen another area....maybe for a defenceman, it's possible to do if you have players signed to reasonable contracts. But isn't that the same what all teams are trying to achieve? Having as many good players on good contracts and then finding the mix to make your roster is how all teams want to make their rosters.

I don't know why you would even think the Leafs defence would be worse next year than this year. Sure Gardiner and Hainsey will be gone, but they can replaced either internally or by acquisitions.
You would certainly know much better than me, an outsider to a team on the cusp of, perhaps, Cups (?). Babcock has a way with getting a ton out of his teams, that, I think, we could agree on. And the, yes, the “young” dmen (Jamiepo!) will be a year older next season and could all gel very nicely! One puck, lots of egos is what Shanahan preached earlier to his upcoming RFAs when “they” wanted their piece of the pie. Toronto has not been timid in this rebuild of theirs. They have made lots of great decisions leading up to this juncture. I have no doubt they will continue to follow their blueprint, continuing to make tough choices relatively flawlessly. As a Hawks fan, despite their unexpected good start, I am envious of you all in hockey Mecca!
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:26 p.m.
Edited Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:38 p.m.
So many ppl seem actually afraid TML could finally make it, signing "Big 3" and push it to Stanley ( my stance on D is known tho )

And the current hype on Kapanen....he will be rolled back to 3rd line after 3 more games when Nylander comes, i dont think TML are that stupid to allow another kid to explode on the verge of signing a new contract...so he will get Hyman's type of contract tops. Put a 500g box of Oreo infront of net and Marleau - Matthews will make it to mass 20 points in 82 games.

Btw....Ritchie just signed....3 x 1,5M....big steal
palhal liked this.
Oct. 17, 2018 at 10:42 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: palhal
Too bad Sandin....first round pick in 2018 is out with an injury right now. Would have liked see him the AHL at least to start the season.

He’s due back in a couple of weeks. Chances are he will need two seasons down there but you never know.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 1:43 a.m.
Nylander is the first line rw... not kapanen calm down with him.. hes good but he isnt william nylander .
Oct. 18, 2018 at 2:36 a.m.
Way to show the Leafs aren't in as big of a cap crunch as people think. ? you overpayed everyone. And didn't move up the cap.

1 star for being COMPLETELY wrong. Lol
palhal liked this.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 7:58 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Laudan
So many ppl seem actually afraid TML could finally make it, signing "Big 3" and push it to Stanley ( my stance on D is known tho )

Folks were saying the Leafs had cap issues, even before signing Tavares. Having Tavares sure puts a different scenario at least long term on what players can be afforded on the roster.
Still rather have too many good players signed to good contracts than not having enough, then teams "reach" by making bad trades or signing overpaid ufas. Think of the disastrous Burke/Nonis era.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 7:59 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
He’s due back in a couple of weeks. Chances are he will need two seasons down there but you never know.

Yea, I wouldn't depend on him next year either to be a Leafs. Interesting that it looks like the Leafs for two consecutive years are having junior aged Dmen playing in the AHL.
Oct. 18, 2018 at 8:15 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You would certainly know much better than me, an outsider to a team on the cusp of, perhaps, Cups (?). Babcock has a way with getting a ton out of his teams, that, I think, we could agree on. And the, yes, the “young” dmen (Jamiepo!) will be a year older next season and could all gel very nicely! One puck, lots of egos is what Shanahan preached earlier to his upcoming RFAs when “they” wanted their piece of the pie. Toronto has not been timid in this rebuild of theirs. They have made lots of great decisions leading up to this juncture. I have no doubt they will continue to follow their blueprint, continuing to make tough choices relatively flawlessly. As a Hawks fan, despite their unexpected good start, I am envious of you all in hockey Mecca!

I really think the unexpected 11m signing of Tavares has affected the so called Shanaplan. Maybe the the plan for the Cup parade has moved up in time. But the "plan" shouldn't be any different than all teams. Draft well, develop well, don't overpay your players." The big factor that seems to lost in the talk, is that the Leafs is now a great place to be which helped the Leafs sign European UFAs,,,,Zaitsev, Ozhigkov, Lindholm, Borgman, and Rosen, and of course UFA Tavares. As a hockey fan, Toronto has always been sorta a Mecca of hockey, but sure is nice having your team playing so well too.
You mentioned your Hawks. From an outsiders view, it seems like the Hawks have too many players not living up their contracts. Not that many players and not for a great amount of money per player, but it does add up into the cap restraints which makes personnel moves difficult. Thinking the Hawks are going to ride out these contracts, and continue a reset, and then will be a position to make another run. Chicago is one of the more desirable players to live/play in the league, so attracting UFAs either European or NHLers should be cost efficient.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll