Forums/Armchair-GM

Kadri Value

Created by: CzechingOut
Team: 2018-19 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Oct. 26, 2018
Published: Oct. 29, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Looking at if he fits in our line up and the cost to acquire.

I'd be the first guy to say i don't want him on the team but i think he could be a valuable player to add to the mix.

I think the Leafs make the deal as a way to open up a spot for Nylander to come back and provide minor cap relief.

I hate to move on from Kassian but i think his role will be filled by Khaira going forward. At the end of the day he just makes to much money on the 4th line.
Trades
EDM
  1. 2019 5th round pick (WSH)
TOR
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse
  2. Russell, Kris ($1,500,000 retained)
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (EDM)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the STL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$77,640,331$0$230,000$1,859,669
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 3
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 8
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 7
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 3
$4,166,666$4,166,666
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 5
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$650,000$650,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Oct. 29, 2018 at 12:43 p.m.
Banned
The cost for Kadri is way more, do people even bother looking into the team they want to trade with before making an offer? TO is without Matthews for a month at least, what will that mean for Kadri? Way more minutes and responsibility. (Well last years minutes and responsibilities.) They are not trading Kadri or Nylander.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 12:44 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Nylander > Kadri
BUT
Kadri + Kadri contract > Nylander + Nylander contract (~6@6.5)

In short, Kadri is worth more than nylander in trading value, for this package, I'd send back...
Johnsson + Neilsen + 2019 3rd?

I mean you are giving us an undeveloped bust in the making, who will need AHL time if he is ever to crack the Leafs, a bad contract on a cap dump, a 2nd and a 3rd.
Do you know who Kadri is?!?
buds16 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 12:45 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Why would we want overpaid bottom pairing guy, struggling prospect and meaningless picks for 30+ goal scorer? Value for Kadri in trade:

1) for two-way C prospect and 1st rounder
2) for two-way C prospect, middle-6 forward, 2nd round pick
3) for defensively responsible two-way top-4 RHD with size and forward with lower level of expectation
4) In package with RHD (Zaitsev) for upgrade on RHD position and top-6 forward with lower value

EXAMPLES:
1) Kadri for Dellandrea/Eriksson Ek, 1st round pick
2) Kadri for Dellandrea, Janmark, 2nd round pick
3) Kadri for Larsson, Safin
4) Kadri, Zaitsev for Larsson, Puljujarvi (Nylander would transition to C and would have Johnsson and Puljujarvi on his wings)
buds16 liked this.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 12:51 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: SammyT_51
Why would we want overpaid bottom pairing guy, struggling prospect and meaningless picks for 30+ goal scorer? Value for Kadri in trade:

1) for two-way C prospect and 1st rounder
2) for two-way C prospect, middle-6 forward, 2nd round pick
3) for defensively responsible two-way top-4 RHD with size and forward with lower level of expectation
4) In package with RHD (Zaitsev) for upgrade on RHD position and top-6 forward with lower value

EXAMPLES:
1) Kadri for Dellandrea/Eriksson Ek, 1st round pick
2) Kadri for Dellandrea, Janmark, 2nd round pick
3) Kadri for Larsson, Safin
4) Kadri, Zaitsev for Larsson, Puljujarvi (Nylander would transition to C and would have Johnsson and Puljujarvi on his wings)

Ima be real with you here, I think you undervalue Kadri.

As of today, I think he is the 2nd most valuable contract in the league (behind Couturier at 4.33 for the same term).
This obviously does not count Ellis at 2.5 and those steals for deals as they expire soon.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:03 p.m.
TiBo
The best contract in the league for another one of the Oilers draft busts and a D-man who makes millions in Edmonton, but on any other team he would be in the ECHL.

I think the Leafs will pass...
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:24 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TiBo23
The best contract in the league for another one of the Oilers draft busts and a D-man who makes millions in Edmonton, but on any other team he would be in the ECHL.

The Best contract in the League is McDavid. Because he is the best player.

There are good contracts (Guys who have a fair contract for their age and talents)
There are great contracts (Guys who make less than they contribute)
And there are bad contracts (guys making more than they earn)

Kadri has a great contract true but its not the best in the league. McDavid does stuff no one else can. So his contract is the best.

I honestly don't care how many good or great contracts a team has, but if you want to be successful you have to have little to zero bad contracts on the team.

Toronto is one of the only teams which doesn't have any really bad contracts on the the books. Marleau's deal is a bit of a head ache but its not terrible. Zaitsev takes heat but he's been very good so far this season.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: LoganOllivier

There are good contracts (Guys who have a fair contract for their age and talents)

Kadri has a great contract true but its not the best in the league. McDavid does stuff no one else can. So his contract is the best.

I honestly don't care how many good or great contracts a team has, but if you want to be successful you have to have little to zero bad contracts on the team.

Toronto is one of the only teams which doesn't have any really bad contracts on the the books. Marleau's deal is a bit of a head ache but its not terrible. Zaitsev takes heat but he's been very good so far this season.

I think you two are confusing Good and Valuable.

Kadri has the 2nd most valuable contract (as of today) in the league (behind Couturier at 4.33 for 4 more years).

I don't count Ellis, Kuch etc as their contracts all expire soon. I mean really, can anyone name a more valuable contract as of today other then Sean Couturier? I don't know if I can. Rielly is valuable for sure if you want to look at the Leafs, but compared to what other guys with Kadri's talents are earning at this stage in his career, this is a steal among steals.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:43 p.m.
TiBo

You're missing the point. Kadri is a number #1 Center on a least half the teams in the NHL. McDavid didn't make the playoffs last year or in his first year! Is McDavid the Cal Ripken/ Andre Dawson of hockey? Great player bad teams...
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
I think you two are confusing Good and Valuable.

Kadri has the 2nd most valuable contract (as of today) in the league (behind Couturier at 4.33 for 4 more years).

I don't count Ellis, Kuch etc as their contracts all expire soon. I mean really, can anyone name a more valuable contract as of today other then Sean Couturier? I don't know if I can. Rielly is valuable for sure if you want to look at the Leafs, but compared to what other guys with Kadri's talents are earning at this stage in his career, this is a steal among steals.

Its hard to say, how many points would Courturier get if he didn't have the linemates he has? How many points was Kadri putting in so far this season? I don't know if I buy the whole, most valuable contract. I think there are a small amount of players who make everyone around them better. Those guys have the best contracts because the value spreads to other players as well. Where so many GM's make mistakes is by giving bigger money to guys that have found chemistry with better players. Like everyone who has played with Tavares before this season. Let's say player A spends a season on Tavares' wing and scores 30 goals, then signs a 4 year 4.5 million dollar deal. Many will say thats a steal of a deal, until that player has to perform without the guy making him look good. I am not saying Kadri is dust without good linemates, but he isn't exactly a guy who will score 30 goals and 60 points without good linemates.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:51 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Its hard to say, how many points would Courturier get if he didn't have the linemates he has? How many points was Kadri putting in so far this season? I don't know if I buy the whole, most valuable contract. I think there are a small amount of players who make everyone around them better. Those guys have the best contracts because the value spreads to other players as well. Where so many GM's make mistakes is by giving bigger money to guys that have found chemistry with better players. Like everyone who has played with Tavares before this season. Let's say player A spends a season on Tavares' wing and scores 30 goals, then signs a 4 year 4.5 million dollar deal. Many will say thats a steal of a deal, until that player has to perform without the guy making him look good. I am not saying Kadri is dust without good linemates, but he isn't exactly a guy who will score 30 goals and 60 points without good linemates.

Dude, he has been playing well with Lindholm and Brown as his line mates this year. He hasn't had the role or ice time to do much else.
Remember, I like Kadri, but he is not good enough to carry a line all by himself AND shut down other teams top lines AND score 30 goals. Just the first two.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:52 p.m.
Banned
You're missing the point. Kadri is a number #1 Center on a least half the teams in the NHL. McDavid didn't make the playoffs last year or in his first year! Is McDavid the Cal Ripken/ Andre Dawson of hockey? Great player bad teams...

He's the number one on less than 10 teams in the NHL and many of those are debateable. Don't get me wrong, I love Kadri but I'm not going over hype him. He's an above average 2C who can play 1C in a pinch. McDavid is a Greek Tragedy. The poor guy is the best player in the League and he has to carry his team everywhere. If the Oilers make the playoffs, he should win every trophy the league has. Jack Adams, goes to McDavid for telling the coach to shut up and just keep rolling him out there 30 mins a game.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 1:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
Dude, he has been playing well with Lindholm and Brown as his line mates this year. He hasn't had the role or ice time to do much else.
Remember, I like Kadri, but he is not good enough to carry a line all by himself AND shut down other teams top lines AND score 30 goals. Just the first two.

I love Kadri. I wouldn't trade him unless it was a deal that was terribly waited in my favour. That being said, settle down on him being an elite centre. He's a great centre and a guy almost every team would be thrilled to have, but its not like he's going to bring in Seth Jones +. I know no one is saying that but he's being a tad over hyped right now.
Oct. 29, 2018 at 2:05 p.m.
TiBo
Who said Kadri was bringing in Seth Jones?
Oct. 29, 2018 at 2:09 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I love Kadri. I wouldn't trade him unless it was a deal that was terribly waited in my favour. That being said, settle down on him being an elite centre. He's a great centre and a guy almost every team would be thrilled to have, but its not like he's going to bring in Seth Jones +. I know no one is saying that but he's being a tad over hyped right now.

I never said he was elite lol. He has been used to shut down other teams top lines since Babs got here, add that to his offence and his contract and you have a hell of a player. I mean he has an outside shot at the Selke (not that he will win it) and his competition proves he is the real 1C on this team, and all I am saying is that he is a 1C. He is not elite by any stretch, but put him with a decent enough line (Kapanen-Kadri-Marner as a shut down line would be unfair for example, and the more likely Kapanen-Kadri-Brown is still a really nice (cheap) and effective shut down line) and have other talent in the lineup to act as a scoring line, and he will show you he is a #1 on any team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll