Forums/Armchair-GM

Welcome Home Hammer

Created by: ODOG67
Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Nov. 14, 2018
Published: Nov. 14, 2018
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
It all makes sense. And if CAR is as motivated to trade for Nylander, it's gotta be for the big RHD, not Pesce.
Trades
CAR
  1. Bracco, Jeremy
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Rights to Nylander
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$79,500,000$70,533,333$2,550,000$5,400,000$8,966,667

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,050,000$4,050,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Nov. 14, 2018 at 2:32 a.m.
CGY
There is absolutely no way Dougie has the personality to last in Toronto. He couldn’t last in BOS or CGY which are significantly lesser markets than TOR
Nov. 14, 2018 at 5:38 a.m.
Canes laugh at this, I'm sorry. You want a D man who is a god in the offensive zone for RFA? Then you want Gauthier too? No, Nylander doesn't have the valyue of Dougie and the second rounder isn't enough to make up the difference. I love Jeremy Bracco but he doesn't make this trade even close to worth it, minimum your looking at Kadri thrown into this deal too, maybe more (if you take the pick and Bracco out)
Nov. 14, 2018 at 8:08 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Caniac2000
Canes laugh at this, I'm sorry. You want a D man who is a god in the offensive zone for RFA? Then you want Gauthier too? No, Nylander doesn't have the valyue of Dougie and the second rounder isn't enough to make up the difference. I love Jeremy Bracco but he doesn't make this trade even close to worth it, minimum your looking at Kadri thrown into this deal too, maybe more (if you take the pick and Bracco out)

Cane fans want to see Pesce + and they will either be disappointed when they give him up with another player and a pick or it'll be Slavin. Eitherway what's more likely is Nylander signs and ends this madness.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 8:14 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Cane fans want to see Pesce + and they will either be disappointed when they give him up with another player and a pick or it'll be Slavin. Eitherway what's more likely is Nylander signs and ends this madness.

Nylander isn’t signing my guy, unless he gets his $7m, which isn’t gonna happen
Nov. 14, 2018 at 8:18 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: linehan10
Nylander isn’t signing my guy, unless he gets his $7m, which isn’t gonna happen

Listen to what Bob McKenzie said about Nylander signing on Nov 30th. The Leafs are one of the few teams that can actually sign him. A 7 million deal would see this year's cap hit, push close to 10 million and rest of the years being around 6.7. They are all waiting for closer to Nov 30
Nov. 14, 2018 at 7:36 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Listen to what Bob McKenzie said about Nylander signing on Nov 30th. The Leafs are one of the few teams that can actually sign him. A 7 million deal would see this year's cap hit, push close to 10 million and rest of the years being around 6.7. They are all waiting for closer to Nov 30

even if that were to happen, they would still have 39-40 sheets a year committed to four players and a hole in their top 2 D pairings unless you think Dermott is the answer and Hainsey ends up deserving an extension. Nobody seems to be talking about what that right side looks like next year. Gardiner is costing you 7x7 and that forces Rielly to the right side. Not an ideal pairing as theyre both puck rushers who like to jump into the rush.

Even in a perfect world with Nylander agreeing to 7x8, they are cash strapped with gaping holes on the back end going forward.
Nov. 14, 2018 at 7:41 p.m.
Leaf Fan for life
Edited Nov. 14, 2018 at 9:14 p.m.

I give your comment half a star, mainly for spelling. Content, not so much. That RFA can be signed to a seven year deal for approx 7.5 and lead your team in scoring for the next 6 years or so. Hammer is UFA in 2 years after this one. That's not an ideal 1-for-1 scenario and since CAR is a motivated suitor with excellent depth on the back end, it's not exactly a buyer's market and they'll need to out-bid a few teams to land the big fish. If I'm Dubas I'm looking for a big body with skill to add to my talent pool . I realize Gauthier and Hammer is an overpay, so a b-level prospect and a 2nd isnt exactly paying peanuts. The idea of Pesce for Nylander makes me twitch. Not even close for a guy who will end up being a 75-80point top line talent.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 3:53 a.m.
Quoting: ODOG67
I give your comment half a star, mainly for spelling. Content, not so much. That RFA can be signed to a seven year deal for approx 7.5 and lead your team in scoring for the next 6 years or so. Hammer is UFA in 2 years after this one. That's not an ideal 1-for-1 scenario and since CAR is a motivated suitor with excellent depth on the back end, it's not exactly a buyer's market and they'll need to out-bid a few teams to land the big fish. If I'm Dubas I'm looking for a big body with skill to add to my talent pool . I realize Gauthier and Hammer is an overpay, so a b-level prospect and a 2nd isnt exactly paying peanuts. The idea of Pesce for Nylander makes me twitch. Not even close for a guy who will end up being a 75-80point top line talent.

Pesce is stats wise the best shut down d man in the league over the past few years. What’s Toronto’s weakness again? And he has capability to be much more, potentially 30+ point upside. He’s really good and he’s 23. He’s only getting better. Hamilton is an elite talent and your looking at more then Nylander for him. Gauthier was also a 1st round pick and has he capability to be a Nylander calibre player with the shot he has. I realise a 2nd and Bracco isn’t nothing, but it certainly isn’t fair value
Nov. 15, 2018 at 3:56 a.m.

You think slavins moving?????? He’s better then Dougie, send Matthews back dude ???. That’s literally what your asking for it’s not happening. Pesce is worth Nylander straight up, people talk about Nylanders upside but don’t realise Pesce is 23.... it’s not like he’s falling off a cliff... it’s more then fair IMO and Carolina don’t need Nylander, he’s be nice but it’s not a need. Toronto need D, they’re not getting past the 1st round without it
Nov. 15, 2018 at 8:18 a.m.
Banned
You think slavins moving?????? He’s better then Dougie, send Matthews back dude ???. That’s literally what your asking for it’s not happening. Pesce is worth Nylander straight up, people talk about Nylanders upside but don’t realise Pesce is 23.... it’s not like he’s falling off a cliff... it’s more then fair IMO and Carolina don’t need Nylander, he’s be nice but it’s not a need. Toronto need D, they’re not getting past the 1st round without it

You wouldn't pay Pesce 7 million a year but you would Nylander that means he's worth more than Pesce.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:14 a.m.
You wouldn't pay Pesce 7 million a year but you would Nylander that means he's worth more than Pesce.

D men are worth more then wingers, Pesce deserves much more then what he earns, meaning he has value. Your actually such a homer, by that logic, you wouldn't pay Dahlin 7000000 but you would Nylander????
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:16 a.m.
Banned
D men are worth more then wingers, Pesce deserves much more then what he earns, meaning he has value. Your actually such a homer, by that logic, you wouldn't pay Dahlin 7000000 but you would Nylander????

Dahlin is not a defensive defenseman who'll average around 20 points a year. Pesce is not Dahlin, he's a younger version of Chris Tanev, a very good player but he's not worth more than 4 million a year. So if defenceman are worth more than forwards of Nylander's talent level, then why don't they get paid the same?
ODOG67 liked this.
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:38 a.m.
Dahlin is not a defensive defenseman who'll average around 20 points a year. Pesce is not Dahlin, he's a younger version of Chris Tanev, a very good player but he's not worth more than 4 million a year. So if defenceman are worth more than forwards of Nylander's talent level, then why don't they get paid the same?

Because Nylander plays a position where they are at their best much sooner then D men, Pesce and Nylander are incredibly similar in terms of skill and Pesce got 19 points in 60 games, he was injured, he could easily have hit 25 and he's only getting better, and for a product of Auston Matthews, I'd be taking that if I'm Toronto. Pesce is so good and the fact your disrespecting him like this is funny.....
Nov. 15, 2018 at 9:47 a.m.
Banned
Because Nylander plays a position where they are at their best much sooner then D men, Pesce and Nylander are incredibly similar in terms of skill and Pesce got 19 points in 60 games, he was injured, he could easily have hit 25 and he's only getting better, and for a product of Auston Matthews, I'd be taking that if I'm Toronto. Pesce is so good and the fact your disrespecting him like this is funny.....

I'm not saying he isn't good. He's a fine player. A guy that can pair with Rielly and not be a liability. All great things.

Here is the thing though and its where Carolina fans always get silly, Pesce is a defensive defenceman. They just don't make near as much money as two way players or offensive players. This is a fact in this league. So everyone on here keeps saying defence are worth more than Nylander, and that is true when talking about #1 defenceman. Pesce is not a #1 defenceman, on his team he's 3rd on the depth chart at the highest, some may argue he's also behind Faulk because Faulk plays a 2 way game and puts up points.

This isn't a knock on Pesce, its just the reality of the situation. On top of that, the Canes once again are in need of scoring and they need scoring way more than TO needs defence. Toronto has the 2nd best goal differential in the league and are 4th best in GA/G. They are 2nd in the conference and are doing all of this without Nylander and Matthews. If you look at all the chatter out there and all the potential deals, adding Nylander is the biggest addition anyone is going to make. It should just be TO because too many people out here think they are going to get him for a steal, and after the Hall trade, that isn't going to happen.
ODOG67 liked this.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 3:59 a.m.
I'm not saying he isn't good. He's a fine player. A guy that can pair with Rielly and not be a liability. All great things.

Here is the thing though and its where Carolina fans always get silly, Pesce is a defensive defenceman. They just don't make near as much money as two way players or offensive players. This is a fact in this league. So everyone on here keeps saying defence are worth more than Nylander, and that is true when talking about #1 defenceman. Pesce is not a #1 defenceman, on his team he's 3rd on the depth chart at the highest, some may argue he's also behind Faulk because Faulk plays a 2 way game and puts up points.

This isn't a knock on Pesce, its just the reality of the situation. On top of that, the Canes once again are in need of scoring and they need scoring way more than TO needs defence. Toronto has the 2nd best goal differential in the league and are 4th best in GA/G. They are 2nd in the conference and are doing all of this without Nylander and Matthews. If you look at all the chatter out there and all the potential deals, adding Nylander is the biggest addition anyone is going to make. It should just be TO because too many people out here think they are going to get him for a steal, and after the Hall trade, that isn't going to happen.

Kid you clearly don’t watch Pesce. He’s on pace for nearly 40 points and he’s having a great season so far. He’s got insane upside and is worth Nylander hands down. Where Toronto fans lose sight behind their Nylander fandom... you think Pesces gonna stagnate??? He’s 23!!!! He’s gonna get better, it’s literally his birthday yesterday! Toronto fans need a reality check, thinking you can get Dougie and a 1st round pick for Nylander and scraps, nah kid. Get lost.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 4:00 a.m.

Oh and he’s played 1st pair for the past 3 seasons!!!!!
Nov. 16, 2018 at 8:14 a.m.
Banned
Oh and he’s played 1st pair for the past 3 seasons!!!!!

Doesn't matter, Hainsey has played top pair for the past 2 season. Doesn't mean he's a top pair defenceman. There is a huge divide between a what is considered a top pair defenceman and a #1 defenceman. Rielly is a #1 guy Pesce is not even close to that. He isn't a guy who can anchor a pair and turn it up ice and create offence. He's a terrific stay at home guy. That isn't worth as much as offence. The Hall for Larsson trade proved that players like these are not equal.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 9:13 a.m.
Doesn't matter, Hainsey has played top pair for the past 2 season. Doesn't mean he's a top pair defenceman. There is a huge divide between a what is considered a top pair defenceman and a #1 defenceman. Rielly is a #1 guy Pesce is not even close to that. He isn't a guy who can anchor a pair and turn it up ice and create offence. He's a terrific stay at home guy. That isn't worth as much as offence. The Hall for Larsson trade proved that players like these are not equal.

Nylander isn’t Hall! Hall went 1OA because he has elite upside. Hall is much better. Pesce is ELITE and is exactly what Tornoto need to be serious. Honestly are you all that delusional? What I meant when I said he’s played first pair is that he’s above Faulk, so Faulk isn’t better then him, recently he’s been above Hamilton too... is Hamilton a 1D? Slavin is and Slavin is because of Pesces major contributions.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 9:33 a.m.
Banned
Nylander isn’t Hall! Hall went 1OA because he has elite upside. Hall is much better. Pesce is ELITE and is exactly what Tornoto need to be serious. Honestly are you all that delusional? What I meant when I said he’s played first pair is that he’s above Faulk, so Faulk isn’t better then him, recently he’s been above Hamilton too... is Hamilton a 1D? Slavin is and Slavin is because of Pesces major contributions.

Correct, Nylander isn't Hall, no one ever disputes that. What people are saying is that Offence just costs more than Defence because scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in hockey. Nylander creates offence at a top level rate. Pesce doesn't create offence. Pesce is not elite and you really are raising the homer flag by saying that. Toronto is serious, they are the 2nd best offensive team in the league and currently 5th best defensively. How is Carolina's amazing defence playing?

Its getting more and more clear that people just really want the Leafs to be desperate for defensive help because they dream of seeing their team get Nylander for cheap. The reality of the whole situation is that TO is now 1 point out of 1st in the League and they are doing that without two major pieces upfront. Carolina is once again (for the 10th straight year) on the outside looking in. They should be getting more and more desperate. TO on the other hand? They can and should just sit on Nylander because trading him just to make a move because fans want to see the Leafs get screwed out of a really good player is not a good idea.

Pesce is not equal to Nylander so if that is the best you can get from Carolina, you just don't trade him. I'm more than happy seeing the Leafs let the odd goal they shouldn't in but score 3 more goals than their opposition every night.
Nov. 16, 2018 at 9:38 a.m.
Correct, Nylander isn't Hall, no one ever disputes that. What people are saying is that Offence just costs more than Defence because scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in hockey. Nylander creates offence at a top level rate. Pesce doesn't create offence. Pesce is not elite and you really are raising the homer flag by saying that. Toronto is serious, they are the 2nd best offensive team in the league and currently 5th best defensively. How is Carolina's amazing defence playing?

Its getting more and more clear that people just really want the Leafs to be desperate for defensive help because they dream of seeing their team get Nylander for cheap. The reality of the whole situation is that TO is now 1 point out of 1st in the League and they are doing that without two major pieces upfront. Carolina is once again (for the 10th straight year) on the outside looking in. They should be getting more and more desperate. TO on the other hand? They can and should just sit on Nylander because trading him just to make a move because fans want to see the Leafs get screwed out of a really good player is not a good idea.

Pesce is not equal to Nylander so if that is the best you can get from Carolina, you just don't trade him. I'm more than happy seeing the Leafs let the odd goal they shouldn't in but score 3 more goals than their opposition every night.

HHAHAHAHAH, Toronto are 27 in chances against, I don’t even wanna look at shots... Freddy is saving them and they got lit up when sparks played. This shows it. Pesce shuts that down. Pesce is the guy that makes scoring goals hard. Pesce is on a steak of a contract, he could justifiably earn 6+ I get that Nylander is good but he plays the easiest position in hockey. I’m content with carolina shutting teams down. How’s your playoff success looking because you know Defence wins championships.... and Toronto’s is ded
Nov. 16, 2018 at 9:58 a.m.
Banned
HHAHAHAHAH, Toronto are 27 in chances against, I don’t even wanna look at shots... Freddy is saving them and they got lit up when sparks played. This shows it. Pesce shuts that down. Pesce is the guy that makes scoring goals hard. Pesce is on a steak of a contract, he could justifiably earn 6+ I get that Nylander is good but he plays the easiest position in hockey. I’m content with carolina shutting teams down. How’s your playoff success looking because you know Defence wins championships.... and Toronto’s is ded

Every Carolina homer on here.

Defence wins championships and we have the best defence ever. As their team sits outside of the playoffs and can't score......for the 10th season in a row. Perhaps you may want to rethink things bud. Carolina needs scoring. They need it badly and they will miss the playoffs for the 10th year in a row if they don't find it. As for the Leafs chances against, they are 1 point out of 1st in the entire league and their brand of hockey does result with more chances against than other teams allow, but they also score more than almost all other teams so is it that huge of a problem? When you have a 3rd line that can play against any 1st line and you have a reasonable expectation that it won't get roasted (this is the Kadri line which has been the shutdown line for years in TO I'm talking about, not the current 3rd line centred by Lindholm) you can get a tonne of mismatches against teams that have poor depth. At home TO can roll Tavares or Matthews against 3rd liners every night. Who cares if they give up a few more chances than others.

You are clearly among the fans who want to see the Leafs burn, which is fine, own that and be honest about it. Its easier to deal with then when guys on here claim to like the Leafs but are just trolling.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll