Forums/Armchair-GM

Havent seen a Habs team around OFFSEASON

Created by: We_Want_The_Cup
Team: 2018-19 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 1, 2019
Published: Jan. 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I used to really enjoy posting here, and now, I got some spare time on this fine New Year's Day to give it another whirl.

Let's have some fun!

P.S. Values aren't exact. Habs may need to add depending on the relative values of D's and RW's at the time of the trade, compared to what's available on the open market.
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$69,510,476$0$3,107,500$13,489,524

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$4,800,000$4,800,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$839,166$839,166
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 3
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,166,667$1,166,667
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
C
UFA - 4
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 3
$650,000$650,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 3
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 8
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 8
$748,333$748,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$950,000$950,000
G
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 1, 2019 at 5:05 p.m.
i wouldn't trade Gallagher for anything less than an overpay. He is literally one of the most important players on the team. We need a LHD but not at the cost of Gally.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 5:12 p.m.
GM Game v1 v2
Quoting: F50marco
i wouldn't trade Gallagher for anything less than an overpay. He is literally one of the most important players on the team. We need a LHD but not at the cost of Gally.

I tend to agree, but I also stress the fact that we really, REALLY need a proper LHD for Weber, and moving up bottom pairing D with some puck-moving ability just won't do. I see Brodin as having the ability to take on this role.

I don't know, I like and hate my trade at the same time. I love Gally. But can we really take quality without giving it?
Jan. 1, 2019 at 7:28 p.m.
WentWughes
Can't see in any world where Gallagher is traded. He is the heart and soul of this team. Especially if we are only getting Brodin back. If I had to bet one player that retires a hab, It would be Brendan Gallagher.
We_Want_The_Cup liked this.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 7:29 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: We_Want_The_Cup
I tend to agree, but I also stress the fact that we really, REALLY need a proper LHD for Weber, and moving up bottom pairing D with some puck-moving ability just won't do. I see Brodin as having the ability to take on this role.

I don't know, I like and hate my trade at the same time. I love Gally. But can we really take quality without giving it?

Would rather give up anybody on the Roster over Gallagher (Except KK). We have plenty of valuable pieces if we really wanted to acquire a defense men to play with Weber (Which we don't need as I doubt we are in win-now mode).
Jan. 1, 2019 at 7:38 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
With all that cap, Shirley MB can find a competent LD in UFA (second times a charm), and then you keep Gallagher.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 7:39 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: palhal
With all that cap, Shirley MB can find a competent LD in UFA (second times a charm), and then you keep Gallagher.

Gardiner strikes me as the key guy to go after. Although I am sure MB will be super cautious after the Alzner Fail
Jan. 1, 2019 at 7:44 p.m.
GM Game v1 v2
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Would rather give up anybody on the Roster over Gallagher (Except KK). We have plenty of valuable pieces if we really wanted to acquire a defense men to play with Weber (Which we don't need as I doubt we are in win-now mode).

I can see what you mean, but who would you give that would be fair value? The next name on my mind is probably Tatar. In any case, if we can get Brodin without giving up Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, or KK, I'll be happy.

As for not being win-now, I don't fully agree. Habs management have shown that they are not willing to rebuild, and we're at a place in time where it would no longer make sense. We don't have a bad team, but we also don't have a great one. Our team now reminds me of how the Preds were a few seasons ago. A few power tweaks ("retool") later, and they're now a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Likewise, I think our next step in the retool process is acquiring a D-partner for Weber. We need a top 4 core, and we currently have a top 2. Not in a hurry, but I also wouldn't wait until Weber becomes a dinosaur.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 7:45 p.m.
GM Game v1 v2
Gardiner strikes me as the key guy to go after. Although I am sure MB will be super cautious after the Alzner Fail

Agreed, that's the other plan I had in mind. Given that I'm assuming this happens in offseason, maybe trade negotiations would be if Gardiner's signing negotiations falter? Money isn't all that talks.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
WentWughes
I can see what you mean, but who would you give that would be fair value? The next name on my mind is probably Tatar. In any case, if we can get Brodin without giving up Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, or KK, I'll be happy.

As for not being win-now, I don't fully agree. Habs management have shown that they are not willing to rebuild, and we're at a place in time where it would no longer make sense. We don't have a bad team, but we also don't have a great one. Our team now reminds me of how the Preds were a few seasons ago. A few power tweaks ("retool") later, and they're now a legitimate Stanley Cup contender.

Likewise, I think our next step in the retool process is acquiring a D-partner for Weber. We need a top 4 core, and we currently have a top 2. Not in a hurry, but I also wouldn't wait until Weber becomes a dinosaur.

I'm not talking about Brodin in particular. Career high 25 points doesn't make me think he would be the perfect offensive defensemen to play with Weber. I wouldn't want Brodin unless we are going all out and plan on Brodin being on our 2nd pairing (meaning we would also have to get someone better than Brodin). At the beginning of the year, Bergevin kept saying "We are focusing on youth, but we plan on making the playoffs", you can take that as you'd like, but I doubt we will be trading futures for win-now assets. He said he is always open to "Vanek like trades" examples of this are Vanek + Petry + Shaw + Reilly, so look for a team selling a player low.

I honestly doubt this team will contend for a Cup with Weber in his Prime, because lets be honest, we are so many pieces away from actually being in that spot, that we would have to trade away our entire prospect pool to contend for what? 3-4 years before Price and Weber are regressing? I can't see it. I would rather grow from within and be patient, Molson has said the main goal of the Canadiens is to always be winning, no better way to do that than to build through the draft. MB has to keep doing what he has been doing, and that is trading pieces for Future (Pacioretty, Mason Trade, Jorges trade, Weise trade, Beaulieu, Plekenec). That would be my ideal scenario anyways.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 8:01 p.m.
WentWughes
Agreed, that's the other plan I had in mind. Given that I'm assuming this happens in offseason, maybe trade negotiations would be if Gardiner's signing negotiations falter? Money isn't all that talks.

I can imagine Gardiner is going to want top dollar, I highly doubt the Leafs are going to pay him 7+ that he wants. Unless another team trades for him, chances are he is going to go to FA. Leafs are okay with letting their core players go to free agency (JVR,Bozak) so I can definitely see it happening. Could you imagine us filling our LHD for free in free agency? That would be my idea. Montreal has cap so giving Gardiner 7 mil doesn't seem like the worst idea if he can put up 50 points. We have tons of cap, might as well use it.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
WentWughes
I can imagine Gardiner is going to want top dollar, I highly doubt the Leafs are going to pay him 7+ that he wants. Unless another team trades for him, chances are he is going to go to FA. Leafs are okay with letting their core players go to free agency (JVR,Bozak) so I can definitely see it happening. Could you imagine us filling our LHD for free in free agency? That would be my idea. Montreal has cap so giving Gardiner 7 mil doesn't seem like the worst idea if he can put up 50 points. We have tons of cap, might as well use it.

If we decide to go with MB's idea of trading low. Players we could consider are :

Haydn Fleury (9 points in 77 Career Games), Injury problems, but 21 and was a highly touted prospect, can use a change of scenery.
Nikita Zadorov (5 Points in 34 Games this season) 23, former 16th overall pick, Career high 20 points in a season, but is only 23 and 6"5.
Will Butcher (12 points in 37 games this season) 23, put up 44 points last season, so offensive game is there. might be a little pricey, but he is having a down year which will bring down his value.
Travis Sanheim (12 points in 38 games this season) 22, 22 points in 87 career games, over a PPG in the AHL this year. Flyers are looking to make win now trades, many routes to take, could try and see if they have interest in Benn or Schlemko, if not we could give them Petry and get plenty of other assets with him. Former 17th overall pick
Ivan Provorov (12 point in 38 games this season) Probably going to be super expensive, but having a down year as well, put up 41 points last season as a 20 YO, but would a great long term asset.
Esa Lindell (17 points in 40 games this season) Not sure if the Stars would be interested in moving him, but the owner is dissapointed with the stars not making the playoffs, the GM could make a panic move and try to win now. Lindell is only 24 and has looked great this season. Chances are, will be expensive. r
Ryan Murray (18 Points in 38 games) Former 2nd overall pick who has looked disappointing since being drafted, he is having a breakout season this year, not sure if CBJ would be interested in trading him, but look good for the Habs.

Since we aren't going to trade within the conference, players who we could acquire would be Lindell, Butcher or Zadorov.
Jan. 1, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
WentWughes
Sorry for writing so much, I'm bored AF
Jan. 1, 2019 at 8:28 p.m.

As much as people tend to hate free agency because overpaying is bad, this offseason may be a year where the Habs over pay and it be totally worth it. Jake Gardiner for example. He is a perfect fit for Weber and the Habs have the extra cash to burn anyway. Since the Habs have oodles of cap space, they might as well spend more than they should on a player like Gardiner than trade Gallagher away for Brodin. IMO Habs have had troubles spending up to the cap so if you need to spend an extra 1M more than anyone else on a position of need, so be it. Whats the worst that could happen? We have 78M in cap spent instead of 77M. Oh no......
Jan. 26, 2019 at 11:33 p.m.
Not yet trannycided

Quoting: F50marco
As much as people tend to hate free agency because overpaying is bad, this offseason may be a year where the Habs over pay and it be totally worth it. Jake Gardiner for example. He is a perfect fit for Weber and the Habs have the extra cash to burn anyway. Since the Habs have oodles of cap space, they might as well spend more than they should on a player like Gardiner than trade Gallagher away for Brodin. IMO Habs have had troubles spending up to the cap so if you need to spend an extra 1M more than anyone else on a position of need, so be it. Whats the worst that could happen? We have 78M in cap spent instead of 77M. Oh no......

Oh hey, it's Arad and Marco! How are you guys doing nowadays?
Jan. 29, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
GM Game v1 v2
Quoting: Icegirl
Oh hey, it's Arad and Marco! How are you guys doing nowadays?

Hey Icegirl! Things have been real good, been keeping real busy and hitting some objectives of mine. With a snippet of free time, I thought I'd stop by though smile How are you?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll