Forums/Armchair-GM

NYR Fans - Thoughts

Created by: SankFeravalli
Team: 2018-19 Colorado Avalanche
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 22, 2019
Published: Jan. 22, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Read carefully - I am certainly NOT suggesting trading Shane Bowers for all three of those players.

The Rangers have spent a lot of time scouting Colorado recently (both the NHL and AHL teams) the Avalanche have been looking for some forward help, and the Rangers have forwards who could be on the move. I think Colorado could have interest in Hayes, Kreider, or Namestnikov. Bowers is a logical player of interest for the Rangers as David Quinn coaches him at BU. I think Colorado’s untouchable future assets are Ottawa’s 1st round pick, Cale Makar, and maybe Martin Kaut. But I think they would be open to moving other picks or prospects if it will help the team long-term - a trade for Hayes or Namestnikov would have to include a contact extension.

What are your thoughts about specifics possible deals between these two clubs?
Trades
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the COL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
28$79,500,000$78,615,595$0$1,527,500$884,405
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$5,571,429$5,571,429
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 5
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,850,000$2,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 3
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$100,000$100K)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,937,500$3,937,500
C, LW
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, C
UFA - 1
$950,000$950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C
UFA - 1
$833,333$833,333
C
RFA - 1
$5,175,000$5,175,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 5
$5,900,000$5,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$3,333,333$3,333,333
G
UFA - 3
$2,150,000$2,150,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 3
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LD
UFA - 2
$728,333$728,333 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$717,500$717,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 22, 2019 at 12:48 a.m.
bigkev
I think Hayes and Namestnikov will end up on Colorado, Kreider won't be moved. I think the Rangers will try to include anything to get that Ottawa pick but it won't happen, Colorado will give their first and two prospects something like that.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 12:52 a.m.
@bigkev97

If I’m the Rangers and Colorado asks for those two (extensions included), I’m asking for COL’s 1st, Bowers, and Nic Meloche. That being said, I don’t think Colorado would want to spend THAT much on an in-season trade. Sakic is notoriously patient so I would be surprised to see such a large deadline deal, plus they have a lot of assets that can improve their forward group next year and beyond - 2018 1st rounder Martin Kaut; Ottawa’s pick in a draft loaded with forwards; Tyson Barrie would could become expendable with Makar coming in, and could fetch a top six forward in a trade; etc.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 12:53 a.m.
Banned
Hayes is the reported word, but I don't know if I buy it.
There are multiple teams looking for centers and I think Colorado is being used as a chip to drive up the price.
It wouldn't surprise me if the actual play is CBJ. They have a huge trading piece in Panarin. That would easily land a great return from NYR.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 12:56 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
Hayes is the reported word, but I don't know if I buy it.
There are multiple teams looking for centers and I think Colorado is being used as a chip to drive up the price.
It wouldn't surprise me if the actual play is CBJ. They have a huge trading piece in Panarin. That would easily land a great return from NYR.

The rumor is also that there’s a good chance Panarin signs with the Rangers this offseason. Why spend assets on a guy you’re going to sign as a UFA anyway when you’re not a contender this year? Add young assets, make a high draft pick, and add Panarin to a group of young talent.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 1:03 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: rtapp326
The rumor is also that there’s a good chance Panarin signs with the Rangers this offseason. Why spend assets on a guy you’re going to sign as a UFA anyway when you’re not a contender this year? Add young assets, make a high draft pick, and add Panarin to a group of young talent.

Because you aren't the only team making an effort to get him. He could sign with the Islanders, NJ, FL.
But if you get a chance at him now, you can make the offer and figure it out. As of right now, I think he signs with the islanders not the rangers if he becomes a Free agent.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 1:53 a.m.
As a rangers fan, I’d rather have Timmins than Bowers but it’s not that huge of a gap for me. I still think kreider makes the most sense for both teams just doubt the rangers trade him right now.
SankFeravalli liked this.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 3:39 a.m.
DanzhastheTouch
As a Ranger fan, I will say Namestnikov, along with Buchnevich for Bowers and Colorado's first in '19. It took a little critical thinking, but the player Colorado grabbed in the Duchene deal, Kamenev, could be the next big piece to build with.

Why not give him a solid pair of players to grow with. Especially since they have relatively low dollar contracts. Both are playoff tested. In Namestnikov's case, he is so defensively sound in his two-way game, that it is like getting three players in the deal.

Although collectively they have 31 points, Buchnevich at 22 has an untapped offensive game. This, with Kamenev seeming like an impressive power forward could be just what the Avalanche need to make their push to the playoffs, without bleeding prospects to do it.

Considering the details, this may be your upcoming trade.
SankFeravalli liked this.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.
Tspky
If I'm the rangers, I start a bidding war between Colorado and Winnipeg for Hayes. Both teams need him. If Sakic and Cheveldayoff start one upping each other i think Makar or Vesalainen could be on the table (obviously this would be with an extension) and in WPG's case taking on Kulikov. But that's just me.

A good deal for the rangers would be Kaut and a conditional pick (if hayes resigns). Pretty fair considering Col has more than enough cap space to resign him and Hayes is in the midst of a career year. They can also pull the "look MacKinnon is only making roughly 6m-- HOW BTW WTF!?!?

I do really want to pry Makar but Hayes would have to have an extension and we'd have to give up probably Namestnikov and DeAngelo or Pionk
Jan. 22, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
NYR will not be offering young pieces for Panarin.
Columbus will not be trading Panarin.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 3:38 p.m.
Quoting: Spanky227
If I'm the rangers, I start a bidding war between Colorado and Winnipeg for Hayes. Both teams need him. If Sakic and Cheveldayoff start one upping each other i think Makar or Vesalainen could be on the table (obviously this would be with an extension) and in WPG's case taking on Kulikov. But that's just me.

A good deal for the rangers would be Kaut and a conditional pick (if hayes resigns). Pretty fair considering Col has more than enough cap space to resign him and Hayes is in the midst of a career year. They can also pull the "look MacKinnon is only making roughly 6m-- HOW BTW WTF!?!?

I do really want to pry Makar but Hayes would have to have an extension and we'd have to give up probably Namestnikov and DeAngelo or Pionk

I don’t think there’s a chance Colorado moves Makar. Certainly not for any one player or combination of players on the Ranger roster. As I said in the description, he should be untouchable. I don’t think there’s anyone available from the Rangers that Colorado would look to trade Kaut for. You can argue that’s Colorado’s window of true contention hasn’t even opened yet. And given Sakic’s history of patience, I don’t see him getting involved in a bidding war for a player that isn’t a necessary add right now.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Tspky
Quoting: rtapp326
I don’t think there’s a chance Colorado moves Makar. Certainly not for any one player or combination of players on the Ranger roster. As I said in the description, he should be untouchable. I don’t think there’s anyone available from the Rangers that Colorado would look to trade Kaut for. You can argue that’s Colorado’s window of true contention hasn’t even opened yet. And given Sakic’s history of patience, I don’t see him getting involved in a bidding war for a player that isn’t a necessary add right now.

agreed, that's why i said if the rangers could get them into a bidding war.. i think Sakic should stay the course, but you can only run down your team so much. If you take a team like the rangers from 2010-2015, it was clear that all the extra playoff games wore them down. While I do not think Hayes would push colorado into cup contention, he would be more of an asset over the next 3-4 years than Makar would, with Makar being the bigger difference after that.
With a lot of their d-core above 27, the best window is the next 3-4 years when thinking about free agents and what not-- that's when MacKinnon is a UFA, and landeskog is only signed for 2 more years before he becomes and RFA. the cap may be hard to balance out, but it's better to put yourself in a good position before your team wears down.
Jan. 22, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
NYR fan here...I want 0 part of Shane Bowers. Interested to hear from COL fans on that. He's already been traded once, COL fans are keen to throw him into hypothetical deals, and his numbers have regressed from his freshman year when they should be taking a slight step up in year 2 NCAA. His upside screams bottom 6 center to me, even if David Quinn becomes his HC once again. Am I right/wrong COL fans?

If a deal for Hayes and Zuccarello came across the table, is Makar still untouchable? What are COL fans' thoughts on Timmins' upside/availability?

I think Hayes would be a perfect 2C for Colorado, plays the right style of game and hitting his peak this year.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 12:40 a.m.
Quoting: Higgins1265
NYR fan here...I want 0 part of Shane Bowers. Interested to hear from COL fans on that. He's already been traded once, COL fans are keen to throw him into hypothetical deals, and his numbers have regressed from his freshman year when they should be taking a slight step up in year 2 NCAA. His upside screams bottom 6 center to me, even if David Quinn becomes his HC once again. Am I right/wrong COL fans?

If a deal for Hayes and Zuccarello came across the table, is Makar still untouchable? What are COL fans' thoughts on Timmins' upside/availability?

I think Hayes would be a perfect 2C for Colorado, plays the right style of game and hitting his peak this year.

On Bowers - keep in mind that he was playing on a much better team last year. His regression isn’t a good sign, but take it with a grain of salt. He should be a guy that at least gets a look in the NHL at the end of the college season. Reuniting him with Quinn ought to make the transition easier, but I agree with you that his upside is probably a 3C, maybe a 2C at his absolute best.
On Makar - yes, he is (or should be) untouchable. His offensive game is apparent to a lot of people, but his defensive game has taken off at UMass as well. He has a very bright future.
On Timmins - he looked like a total steal as a 2017 2nd rounder after his season in SSM and the his performance for Canada at the WJCs. However, a concussion that he suffered at the end of last year has kept him out all season. He’s been rehabbing in Colorado with the big club for most of the season, and recently began practicing with the regular team, though still in a non-contact Jersey. Some team writers speculate that Colorado may give him a game or two in the NHL as soon as he gets healthy, just to see what they have. Trading him now would be a mistake by both teams involved, as the receiving team would get an injured player who would need to get familiar with new doctors and trainers, and Colorado would likely get pennies on the dollar because if the injury risk. I think he still has a bright future as a top-4 damn in the NHL, if he can stay healthy.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll