Forums/Armchair-GM

Calm Down Oiler Fans

Created by: OilersFan77
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 23, 2019
Published: Jan. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
With the cap going up to 83m next year, we Oiler fans should take a deep breath and realize we're going to have close to 13m in the offseason to retool this thing. I signed Hagelin to play on the 3rd line because he's a fast player who drives possession. I added Silfverberg because he's the best option on the market with respect to our budget and needs. Lucic, believe it or not, is a decent possession player even if he doesn't pass the eye test. So, adding a capable winger to a line with Draisaitl and Lucic should result in a decent balance between defensive responsibility and scoring. Silfverberg is also pretty likely to actually make it to free agency. I added a cheap but reliable backup in McElhinney. Patrick Russell showed well in his brief time this year, he didn't give up much which is all you need from a 4th liner, I'm open to giving him a shot. He also drove possession while here. Yamo has come a long way this year, he's still not scoring but he's close. He's driving possession and making good, confident plays. I think he may be able to handle the top spot next to McDavid and Nuge. He'd be far better than Chiasson who has scored but has also been terrible when it comes to possession. That's a big reason why McDavids line is struggling a little bit defensively this year. Spooner is a wild card, he's had great years and terrible years when it comes to the faceoff dot, but he does drive possession. If he can build some confidence down the stretch and in the minors (where he currently is) then I think he can be a decent 3C. You'll notice that Puljujarvi is signed but not on the roster. He's seen a drastic dip in his possession numbers this year and I attribute that to confidence issues. I think it would be wise to take a step back with his development and let his game take shape away from the spotlight. He was a solid player who drove possession for his first two years, but the inability to find his game offensively and the mounting pressure on him has taken it's toll. I left the D alone because I actually think it's a passable group. Klefbom and Larsson are a solid pair and both players drive possession while playing big minutes. The second pairing is the biggest question mark on the team. Sekera may never be the player he once was, Russell's possession numbers have slid since last year, Benning isn't quite there, and Manning has to find his game before we can assess his place. Nurse, I think, is a sure thing for the second pair but we must choose his partner wisely. The bottom pair should be solid regardless, barring another injury riddled season. Overall, this team just needs a little reworking. We all need to take a deep breath and let whoever takes over patch a couple holes up.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
2$1,000,000
1$800,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
1$2,000,000
3$5,200,000
2$1,250,000
Buyouts
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,000,000$77,236,165$0$730,000$5,763,835

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$230,000$230K)
RW
RFA - 2
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$5,200,000$5,200,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW
UFA - 4
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,150,000$1,150,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$500,000$500K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 23, 2019 at 10:54 p.m.
CGY
If Silfverberg only wants 4 he will stay in sunny SoCal, the Ducks love him. He would get 5-6 in free agency as he is a great two way player who is also still young.
Jan. 23, 2019 at 10:59 p.m.
Yeah, I agree. Silfverberg is going to be looking for closer to $6MM. Hagelin can probably be had for less than $2MM. McElhinney will likely want at least $1MM and he'll likely get it after another solid season (for a non-starter). I think the Oilers would be better suited to try bargain hunting. I like the idea of McElhinnney but for probably at least $1.25MM, maybe more but he's worth it. I think as far as wingers go I think trying to bring back Maroon for $2.5MM is absolutely worth a shot. I'm not sure why you wouldn't try to re-sign Chiasson as well who has been solid at times. I think if you're looking for more depth scoring (which Hagelin clearly doesn't provide and the Oilers desperately need) I think you're better off trying to win over a guy like Richard Panik with some solid term
Jan. 23, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.
MisstheWhalers
Silfverberg is gonna be looking for more than $250K raise so the Oilers will never get him for that. I think the Oilers should just keep their picks and stay away from trying to go after any free agents especially since they don't really have too much cap space, adding a Silfverberg for example isn't gonna make enough of a difference to improve the on ice product very much. Unless they're gonna make a huge trade like moving Draisaitl they won't be much different of a team next season and all the small tweaks and minor free agent adds won't change that. See how Yamamoto and Puljujarvvi develop and let Manning, Benning, Kassian, etc expire and who knows maybe some of them could be flipped next deadline for some picks. Agree with the Spooner thing though, his numbers were good just last season, give him a couple decent wingers and see what happens, they really have nothing else to lose and could pump up his value before next trade deadline.
This mess has been YEARS in the making, unfortunately it isn't gonna be fixed overnight.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 10:20 a.m.
Quoting: ItWasIn
If Silfverberg only wants 4 he will stay in sunny SoCal, the Ducks love him. He would get 5-6 in free agency as he is a great two way player who is also still young.

True, I probably low-balled him. It'd still fit if we tacked another 1-1.5mil on there. The point is to give whoever the 2C is a decent winger. The reason I went lower is because he's having a rough season. He's also a reasonable bet to get traded at the deadline, although he could just go back to the Ducks.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Silfverberg is gonna be looking for more than $250K raise so the Oilers will never get him for that. I think the Oilers should just keep their picks and stay away from trying to go after any free agents especially since they don't really have too much cap space, adding a Silfverberg for example isn't gonna make enough of a difference to improve the on ice product very much. Unless they're gonna make a huge trade like moving Draisaitl they won't be much different of a team next season and all the small tweaks and minor free agent adds won't change that. See how Yamamoto and Puljujarvvi develop and let Manning, Benning, Kassian, etc expire and who knows maybe some of them could be flipped next deadline for some picks. Agree with the Spooner thing though, his numbers were good just last season, give him a couple decent wingers and see what happens, they really have nothing else to lose and could pump up his value before next trade deadline.
This mess has been YEARS in the making, unfortunately it isn't gonna be fixed overnight.

You're probably right, although he's having a bad season and is a likely candidate to be moved at the deadline, he will probably still command something in the 5m range. That would still fit, but going after him in particular wasn't the goal. The goal is to give the 2C a solid winger, could be anyone who fits the 2RW job description and can be had for a reasonable AAV. I think that adding a top 6 winger to make the second line serviceable would go along way for the Oil's results in both ends. They need another line that can eat big minutes. Hitch said that we have "just enough" on the backend (when K-bomb is healthy), I don't think we don't have "just enough" in the top 6 group but I don't think it's too far off. You're certainly right that this isn't going to get fixed over night, but the nice thing is we're a bubble team rather than a basement dweller which is well head of where we were when Chia took over.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Quoting: Lepakage
Yeah, I agree. Silfverberg is going to be looking for closer to $6MM. Hagelin can probably be had for less than $2MM. McElhinney will likely want at least $1MM and he'll likely get it after another solid season (for a non-starter). I think the Oilers would be better suited to try bargain hunting. I like the idea of McElhinnney but for probably at least $1.25MM, maybe more but he's worth it. I think as far as wingers go I think trying to bring back Maroon for $2.5MM is absolutely worth a shot. I'm not sure why you wouldn't try to re-sign Chiasson as well who has been solid at times. I think if you're looking for more depth scoring (which Hagelin clearly doesn't provide and the Oilers desperately need) I think you're better off trying to win over a guy like Richard Panik with some solid term

I mostly agree with you. It doesn't have to be Silfverberg, I was looking for a true top 6 winger and Silfverberg seemed a decent bet to make it to free agency and be available at a decent price given the down year he's having. You're probably right about Hagelin and McElhinney with respect to their likely prices. I wouldn't bring back Chiasson simply because although he's scored this year I don't think it's sustainable based on the underlying numbers. Last thing we need right now is to live on the prayer that he can shoot at 20%+ again next year, especially when his possession numbers aren't very good. It's also worth mentioning that McD and Draisaitl have slightly depressed possession numbers playing with him this year. We need the top line to score but it means nothing if they're also getting lit in their own end. I wouldn't be opposed to Maroon at the right price. I thought about Panik, he certainly provides secondary scoring and has proven he can step up and play with top talent (Kane), but I also think he might resign in Arizona which is why I didn't add him. Definitely a solid option if he becomes available. Hagelin definitely doesn't provide scoring, but my priority was to find players for the bottom six who have good possession track records so we aren't so bad in that respect when the top line isn't out there. A solid third line, in my mind, is one that drives possession because that usually results in more secondary scoring for than against. Solid possession lines help to keep the momentum in our favour meaning that when the top line gets out there they can pick up after a solid shift rather than having to spend time and energy getting the puck back after a poor shift of the team being on its heels. Increasing the efficiency of our transition game should be a priority I think.
Jan. 24, 2019 at 2:33 p.m.
Quoting: OilersFan77
I mostly agree with you. It doesn't have to be Silfverberg, I was looking for a true top 6 winger and Silfverberg seemed a decent bet to make it to free agency and be available at a decent price given the down year he's having. You're probably right about Hagelin and McElhinney with respect to their likely prices. I wouldn't bring back Chiasson simply because although he's scored this year I don't think it's sustainable based on the underlying numbers. Last thing we need right now is to live on the prayer that he can shoot at 20%+ again next year, especially when his possession numbers aren't very good. It's also worth mentioning that McD and Draisaitl have slightly depressed possession numbers playing with him this year. We need the top line to score but it means nothing if they're also getting lit in their own end. I wouldn't be opposed to Maroon at the right price. I thought about Panik, he certainly provides secondary scoring and has proven he can step up and play with top talent (Kane), but I also think he might resign in Arizona which is why I didn't add him. Definitely a solid option if he becomes available. Hagelin definitely doesn't provide scoring, but my priority was to find players for the bottom six who have good possession track records so we aren't so bad in that respect when the top line isn't out there. A solid third line, in my mind, is one that drives possession because that usually results in more secondary scoring for than against. Solid possession lines help to keep the momentum in our favour meaning that when the top line gets out there they can pick up after a solid shift rather than having to spend time and energy getting the puck back after a poor shift of the team being on its heels. Increasing the efficiency of our transition game should be a priority I think.

That's fair regarding Chiasson but I also think the Oilers would be more productive if they split up their centers but loaded up lines prior to commercial breaks and after penalty kills. I think having McDavid, Drais, RNH, and Brodziak as your 4 centers is a great start and my thought is to infuse them with familiar wingers. Chiasson is a low-cost familiar winger that can probably be had for $2MM or less. Maroon probably comes in for a year or 2 at a similar price tag of $2.25MM or less and I think Panik is going to be looking for term and I don't know that he finds it in the desert. AZ honestly doesn't NEED to sign any forwards this offseason (as long as Garland sticks as an NHL forward) they really just need to get healthy. I also think that Panik will be intrigued by playing with a premier center again while signing for more years. He hasn't bought a home in AZ, he's just been renting. That can change but who knows

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll