SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

An intersting 3 way trade between MTL Vancouver and TO

Team: 2018-19 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 6, 2019
Published: Feb. 6, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I may need to add a piece or two to balance this out but this give both TO and Montreal an upgrade on the back end and better balance. Vancouver adds some more decent young players to their roster.
Trades
TOR
  1. Hudon, Charles
  2. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Gardiner signs an 8 year 6 million dollar contract upon arrival
TOR
  1. Tanev, Christopher ($2,225,000 retained)
VAN
  1. Holl, Justin
  2. Hudon, Charles
  3. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$79,500,000$78,411,111$2,550,000$5,400,000$1,088,889

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333
RW
UFA - 1
$787,500$787,500
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
UFA - 1
$10,277,778$10,277,778
RW
UFA - 6
$650,000$650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$2,225,000$2,225,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:12 a.m.
Cjmac84
Just traded gardiner to chicago for seabrook
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:15 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Cjmac84
Just traded gardiner to chicago for seabrook

Because taking on Seabrooks contract makes sense? Nope, never will that happen.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.
Cjmac84
It was a joke lol I know it makes no sense
But still more sense than most trade listed on this site lol
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Cjmac84
It was a joke lol I know it makes no sense
But still more sense than most trade listed on this site lol

Thanks for the awesome feedback on the post.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
Not sure taking on an additional $2m next year while also loosing a guy we have penciled into a roster spot next year at $750k is worth it unless there's a plan for moving zaitsev out.

Tanev at about $2m is certainly worth a Gardiner rental and Rosen...but not sure the logistics makes sense
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:35 a.m.
Habs for 25
Why give a 1st round pick for somebody we can sign in the off-season??
HabsForEver liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:35 a.m.
I don't think MTL will move the 1st pick to get Gardiner, Nurse or Klefbom maybe... Gardiner could be sometimes a #2-3 defense and in the same game a number #7 defense!!
Feb. 6, 2019 at 10:46 a.m.
Montreal won't be trading their first round pick in the first place. Not to mention for someone who they can sign in FA for free.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: BrandonMcD11
Why give a 1st round pick for somebody we can sign in the off-season??

Of season would cost you more money and you'll be bidding against other teams. This would allow you to get him cheaper and without competition.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 11:08 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: HabsForEver
Montreal won't be trading their first round pick in the first place. Not to mention for someone who they can sign in FA for free.

Because Montreal has been so good at attracting FA's?
Feb. 6, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
Vancouver should run to do this deal.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 11:18 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Of season would cost you more money and you'll be bidding against other teams. This would allow you to get him cheaper and without competition.

That makes no sense. Gardiner won't take a discount to sign with the Habs when he can go to FA and get more. The only thing it would get is him in February instead of July. Which Montreal doesn't care about.
1st + Hudon is way far off. Maybe if it was a 6th round pick or something, I could see it.
BrandonMcD11 liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
Sexiest in the world
Canucks say no

We aren't interested in retaining Tanev just to get a late first and some garbage pieces. If u want Tanev you're gonna have to give a lot just like benning has said in the past. He's a valuable player to us and we would much rather have him guiding Hughes into the future.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 11:53 a.m.
Quoting: RC333
Canucks say no

We aren't interested in retaining Tanev just to get a late first and some garbage pieces. If u want Tanev you're gonna have to give a lot just like benning has said in the past. He's a valuable player to us and we would much rather have him guiding Hughes into the future.

This is a legit perspective. However, I think the Canucks need additional assets to contend in the future. Wondering if you would be okay with this deal if they were able to sign someone like Stralman to a two year deal?
Feb. 6, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.
Banned
Canucks say no

You need more high value young players, Vancouver has a good start here but they are far from ready to be contending. They should keep getting players. Tanev is 28 and is leaving his prime, he isn't as valuable as Muzzin and retaining salary will increase your return.
sedin33 liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 12:06 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Quoting: sedin33
This is a legit perspective. However, I think the Canucks need additional assets to contend in the future. Wondering if you would be okay with this deal if they were able to sign someone like Stralman to a two year deal?

If I was able to sign stralman id be interested in trading Tanev but not in this deal. I personally don't think holl or hudon are long-term NHL players. If we got a solid young piece and a 1st/second I would do it but hudon and holl are basically just AHL players
sedin33 liked this.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 12:08 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
You need more high value young players, Vancouver has a good start here but they are far from ready to be contending. They should keep getting players. Tanev is 28 and is leaving his prime, he isn't as valuable as Muzzin and retaining salary will increase your return.

I agree he could be moved, I'm just not a fan of the return. Tanev would make Toronto a champion. Knowing how valuable he'd be to Toronto that would have to give canucks leverage in the trade in regards to requests especially if they're retaining. Plus Tanev is from Ontario he'd obv resign when his contract ends.

Plus again, hudon and holl are AHL to depth pieces
Feb. 6, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
Banned
If I was able to sign stralman id be interested in trading Tanev but not in this deal. I personally don't think holl or hudon are long-term NHL players. If we got a solid young piece and a 1st/second I would do it but hudon and holl are basically just AHL players

You are getting a 1st which is Montreal's first which will be around 17 or so. That isn't bad.

You think you are going to get a Muzzin return for Tanev, that won't be the case. Muzzin doesn't get injured, is better and was had for a 1st and two B prospects. Temper your expectations and try to look beyond loyalty. I get it Tanev is the ultimate team player but he's also not worth near what you want for him. Keeping him won't really hurt you, but it doesn't really help you. You aren't a playoff team and you still have a lot of holes in your lineup. Whether you have Tanev or not, you still need a lot of work on your blueline and really only have 1 great defensive prospect in Hughes. Stock up bro.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
You are getting a 1st which is Montreal's first which will be around 17 or so. That isn't bad.

You think you are going to get a Muzzin return for Tanev, that won't be the case. Muzzin doesn't get injured, is better and was had for a 1st and two B prospects. Temper your expectations and try to look beyond loyalty. I get it Tanev is the ultimate team player but he's also not worth near what you want for him. Keeping him won't really hurt you, but it doesn't really help you. You aren't a playoff team and you still have a lot of holes in your lineup. Whether you have Tanev or not, you still need a lot of work on your blueline and really only have 1 great defensive prospect in Hughes. Stock up bro.

Yea but if u retain Tanev 50% to help out Toronto it'll increase his value. Tanev at 2 million has ridiculous value

Plus like I mentioned I'd rather keep him cuz he is so important to the team. Its up to Toronto to pay up considering they would drastically improve more than the canucks
Feb. 6, 2019 at 12:45 p.m.
Banned
Yea but if u retain Tanev 50% to help out Toronto it'll increase his value. Tanev at 2 million has ridiculous value

Plus like I mentioned I'd rather keep him cuz he is so important to the team. Its up to Toronto to pay up considering they would drastically improve more than the canucks

You are rebuilding, why wouldn't you want to move out older assets and continue to accumulate young players and prospects. You could ask for other pieces, Bracco is really good or Rasanen looks pretty good as well. Tanev helps the Leafs yes but they are already one of the best teams in the League, with Muzzin in the fold they don't NEED to do anything but may want to, so if it isn't a NEED than you don't overpay.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
You are rebuilding, why wouldn't you want to move out older assets and continue to accumulate young players and prospects. You could ask for other pieces, Bracco is really good or Rasanen looks pretty good as well. Tanev helps the Leafs yes but they are already one of the best teams in the League, with Muzzin in the fold they don't NEED to do anything but may want to, so if it isn't a NEED than you don't overpay.

Yea but if we don't move him he'll be the perfect linemates for Hughes and a great leader for him and the other prospects. Canucks are on the verge of becoming good. Its about adding talent now not subtracting it. Tanev is still young too.

Bracco isn't anything special, he wouldn't even crack the canucks top 8 prospects. Leafs fans overrate him and liljegren. But nhl scouts know what they're doing That's why liljegren value has decreased so bad that LA wanted durzi instead even tho they had the choice.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.
Banned
Yea but if we don't move him he'll be the perfect linemates for Hughes and a great leader for him and the other prospects. Canucks are on the verge of becoming good. Its about adding talent now not subtracting it. Tanev is still young too.

Bracco isn't anything special, he wouldn't even crack the canucks top 8 prospects. Leafs fans overrate him and liljegren. But nhl scouts know what they're doing That's why liljegren value has decreased so bad that LA wanted durzi instead even tho they had the choice.

Well most of that is nonsense.

1) Tanev is 29, that isn't still young. 25 is still young. He is already exiting his prime and his best days are behind him. There is actually zero statistical evidence to support the notion many have that a player is still in his prime in his early 30's. That is just false, players playing past 32 is becoming a rarity, players playing past 35 almost never happens anymore.

2) Bracco is currently the best play maker in the entire AHL. Yeah I know its the minors but he's dominating there. He seems to be a guy that just needs a bit more time to progress than other high skill players. He's an elite skater and passer and is very creative, he's also small which caused him to take long to put it all together. Scouts haven't soured on him, in fact I'd wager his stock is rising and personally I don't want to trade him. I feel like TO may move Kapanen at some point if he needs too much money and I think Bracco will be the replacement in the bottom 6. A slick play making forward would be pretty nice for Petterson or Boeser.

3) On Liljegren, LA didn't ask for him, because TO had already said he isn't getting moved. He was the 2nd youngest player in the AHL as a rookie defenceman and showed pretty good adjustments to the north american game and was a serviceable part on a championship team. Due to player movement and injuries, he's been asked to be a top defender on a weaker blueline this year as a 19 year old and hasn't been bad.

If we are just going to say stuff with out any substantiation of facts, this conversation will be about as pointless selling sandboxes to people in the Sarah desert.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 2:04 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Well most of that is nonsense.

1) Tanev is 29, that isn't still young. 25 is still young. He is already exiting his prime and his best days are behind him. There is actually zero statistical evidence to support the notion many have that a player is still in his prime in his early 30's. That is just false, players playing past 32 is becoming a rarity, players playing past 35 almost never happens anymore.

2) Bracco is currently the best play maker in the entire AHL. Yeah I know its the minors but he's dominating there. He seems to be a guy that just needs a bit more time to progress than other high skill players. He's an elite skater and passer and is very creative, he's also small which caused him to take long to put it all together. Scouts haven't soured on him, in fact I'd wager his stock is rising and personally I don't want to trade him. I feel like TO may move Kapanen at some point if he needs too much money and I think Bracco will be the replacement in the bottom 6. A slick play making forward would be pretty nice for Petterson or Boeser.

3) On Liljegren, LA didn't ask for him, because TO had already said he isn't getting moved. He was the 2nd youngest player in the AHL as a rookie defenceman and showed pretty good adjustments to the north american game and was a serviceable part on a championship team. Due to player movement and injuries, he's been asked to be a top defender on a weaker blueline this year as a 19 year old and hasn't been bad.

If we are just going to say stuff with out any substantiation of facts, this conversation will be about as pointless selling sandboxes to people in the Sarah desert.

1) Tanev is 29 which is still young, and if u don't think he's that great why do u want him... probably cuz he's actually amazing. Bracco would be ok if he was included in a pick package
2) His numbers are inflated
3) that's not true, what I said was right

Look buddy I'd rather keep Tanev and have him work with Hughes than see him move to disgusting Toronto and their fan base
Feb. 6, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.
Banned
1) Tanev is 29 which is still young, and if u don't think he's that great why do u want him... probably cuz he's actually amazing. Bracco would be ok if he was included in a pick package
2) His numbers are inflated
3) that's not true, what I said was right

Look buddy I'd rather keep Tanev and have him work with Hughes than see him move to disgusting Toronto and their fan base

Again 29 is not young, I saw an analysis that I don't have time to dig up right now, showing the age of players and the impact they have across the league. The same study was done on forwards and defenceman and what it found was forwards have their biggest impact statistically at or near the age of 24, defenceman was about a year after. Defence seem to stay impactful a year longer but in both cases the impact players in their 30's have drops off a cliff at around 32 and playing past 35 happens in very rare cases. Look at guys like Corey Perry or Ryan Kesler, they are playing still but they are shadows of their former selves. Tanev has 2 seasons, maybe, of being a top 4 defenceman before he will start the inevitable decline that all players eventually face. I do think Tanev is a very good player, which is why I traded for him. That being said, he isn't as good as Muzzin and you are asking for a bigger return for a player that is less valuable.

I have no idea who you are referring to when you say his numbers are inflated.

And your third point is absolutely not correct, Durzi is an overager in the OHL, he could develop into a servicable player but he's not ahead of Liljegren, that is just a joke. No one has said that but you and you clearly don't put much digging into your opinions.
Feb. 6, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
Sexiest in the world
Again 29 is not young, I saw an analysis that I don't have time to dig up right now, showing the age of players and the impact they have across the league. The same study was done on forwards and defenceman and what it found was forwards have their biggest impact statistically at or near the age of 24, defenceman was about a year after. Defence seem to stay impactful a year longer but in both cases the impact players in their 30's have drops off a cliff at around 32 and playing past 35 happens in very rare cases. Look at guys like Corey Perry or Ryan Kesler, they are playing still but they are shadows of their former selves. Tanev has 2 seasons, maybe, of being a top 4 defenceman before he will start the inevitable decline that all players eventually face. I do think Tanev is a very good player, which is why I traded for him. That being said, he isn't as good as Muzzin and you are asking for a bigger return for a player that is less valuable.

And your third point is absolutely not correct, Durzi is an overager in the OHL, he could develop into a servicable player but he's not ahead of Liljegren, that is just a joke. No one has said that but you and you clearly don't put much digging into your opinions.

So let me get this straight again. U wanna trade Tanev retained for a 1st, hudon (overage prospect), and holl (27 year old defenceman)

Liljegren will be a top 4 defenceman, maybe less. Idk what ur saying about durzi he's actually following a normal career path and looks good.

Back to the retained Tanev trade, so a 1st, hudon (24 year old AHLer), and holl (27 year old) makes sense to you?

So we're trading a top 3-4 defenceman on most teams, and we're retaining him, for a 20th-25th first, and two guys that aren't going enough to warrant any potential. They basically are guys that floated in the AHL or depth pieces. They basically suck. Kind of insulting actually. Its like saying give us Gardner 50% retained for a 1st(let's assume it's in the same range) Leivo and Biega. Get outta here

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll