Forums/Armchair-GM

Making Room for the Young Guns

Created by: Kongol
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 26, 2019
Published: Feb. 26, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Basically these moves shed some cap, while bringing in stability on the back end in Miller, protection for the superstars with Reaves (Plus he's good to have in the dressing room), another goalie prospect with some NHL experience in Dansk, plus some draft picks.

Mostly, this allows the young Marlies to get their feet wet. Moore has proven he is ready to make this step, and given some ice time and faith, I think the others will as well.

Thoughts? Opinions? Clever criticism?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
3$800,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
2$900,000
3$2,700,000
3$3,300,000
6$10,450,016
Trades
TOR
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (LAK)
  2. 2021 7th round pick (LAK)
TOR
  1. Dansk, Oscar
  2. Miller, Colin
  3. Reaves, Ryan
  4. 2020 2nd round pick (VGK)
VGK
  1. Nylander, William
  2. Zaitsev, Nikita ($1,000,000 retained)
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 4th round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$76,872,349$0$0$6,127,651
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,450,016$10,450,016
RW
UFA - 6
$2,700,000$2,700,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$3,300,000$3,300,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$2,775,000$2,775,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
G
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 26, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
Log off the internet
Yes just what Vegas needs, another $5M or so in cap hit
Feb. 26, 2019 at 7:33 p.m.
Vegas declines capped out
Feb. 26, 2019 at 7:36 p.m.
Quoting: Hedman77
Yes just what Vegas needs, another $5M or so in cap hit

Pffft. McPhee is a smart man, he can flip one or both for other pieces of desired. My job as GM was to better my team in a way that's not out to lunch. Maybe McPhee could arrange a three way trade with said players
Feb. 26, 2019 at 7:40 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Kongol
Dansk is buried in minors so it's not a big deal.
I believe we do need Reaves. He has a year left in which we can sign for a lower salary. When was the last time Connor Brown dropped his gloves to protect Anderson or any of the other superstars on the team? For that matter, when has anyone on the leafs done so? They need a gritty player to energize with hits and provide and protection. Plus Reaves has shown in the playoffs, he can still score a few goals.

Okay Burke... If yah say soo. While we are at it why dont you give Orr and Komisarek a call? The leafs need to fight more, and should pay way too much to do it right?
Who on earth could say after the two games vs Tampa where the Leafs outplayed them both times that grit is what the Leafs need?
Barilko14 liked this.
Feb. 26, 2019 at 7:47 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Okay Burke... If yah say soo. While we are at it why dont you give Orr and Komisarek a call? The leafs need to fight more, and should pay way too much to do it right?
Who on earth could say after the two games vs Tampa where the Leafs outplayed them both times that grit is what the Leafs need?

Orr was a good fighter. Komisarek was a waste of space. Reaves is more skilled than Orr. The Leafs need some grit to be able to hold their own on the playoffs. Going 7 games against a team that can wear them down physically has been their Achilles heel for the last few Playoff rounds.
Feb. 26, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
So you trade your 7th Dman making below league min to bring up a 7th dman making 800k?
Brown should fetch a 2nd, or at least more than that (3rd and 5th at minimum). He also likely goes to EDM.
Kapanen making a bit too much here.
AND YOU GAVE UP NYLANDER?!?!?!?
His contract looks better and better each day and he has been The best Leaf for over a month now, with better play and production than Mitch, JT, and Papi.

Nylander's good play makes him better and easier to trade next August. I don't want him on my team. I'd take Johnsson and Kapanen signed for a combined 7 million over Nylander signed for 7 million if given a choice.
Feb. 26, 2019 at 9:44 p.m.
Did you guys skip the post from @draft_em_sign_em_trade_em ?

It's a difference of opinion....neither one of you are 'right'

Has Nylander been the best leaf? That's highly arguable. He's been very good...but the best? Have you seen Johnsson's stats? Kapanen has been the most consistent Leaf night in and night out, for me..but that doesn't necessarily make him the best.

Matthews has been an absolute beast lately. It's like a light switched off in his head and he's using his massive frame to battle like I've never seen him do before.

Frederick Andersen flat out wins games for the leafs night in and night out while the offence takes its time deciding if they want to play or not.

Nylander is a terrific player. I think his contract will be one we'll be more than happy with moving forward...I wouldn't trade the kid without a major haul coming back in return....but I can appreciate and understand if someone's opinion is that they'd rather split his AAV up between Kapanen and Johnsson and trade him for other assets instead. I personally wouldn't do that...but resorting to name calling and claiming to be 'right' on such a subjective topic is ridiculous, IMO.

Now...as for more of my opinions directed specifically at this ACGM...and any other one looking for the Leafs to add grit....I think we all forget very easily how, just over a year ago...we were begging Babcock to move Komarov lower in the lineup and to replace Matt Martin with Kapanen...and how our team took off as soon as we went with a skilled lineup over a heavy one.

I don't think adding 1 or 2 bottom six wingers with toughness changes the team's dynamic for the better...to me it's going back to the inefficient style of play we had through a lot of last year. In today's NHL, the unicorn's seem to be the power forwards or annoying pests that have top 6 skill. Tom Wilson, Marchand, Max Domi....people who just flat out piss off the opposition..not just because they get in big hits or cheap shots...but as you're chasing them down for revenge they're filling the back of your net.

For me...adding beef like Reaves isn't something I'd consider giving up assets for. On the other hand, I'm also a big fan of having a least 1 d-man that can toss some bodies out from the front of his own net....leafs don't really have that.
Kongol, Random2152, blowing_the_zone and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 26, 2019 at 9:59 p.m.
Quoting: Juice
Did you guys skip the post from @draft_em_sign_em_trade_em ?

It's a difference of opinion....neither one of you are 'right'

Has Nylander been the best leaf? That's highly arguable. He's been very good...but the best? Have you seen Johnsson's stats? Kapanen has been the most consistent Leaf night in and night out, for me..but that doesn't necessarily make him the best.

Matthews has been an absolute beast lately. It's like a light switched off in his head and he's using his massive frame to battle like I've never seen him do before.

Frederick Andersen flat out wins games for the leafs night in and night out while the offence takes its time deciding if they want to play or not.

Nylander is a terrific player. I think his contract will be one we'll be more than happy with moving forward...I wouldn't trade the kid without a major haul coming back in return....but I can appreciate and understand if someone's opinion is that they'd rather split his AAV up between Kapanen and Johnsson and trade him for other assets instead. I personally wouldn't do that...but resorting to name calling and claiming to be 'right' on such a subjective topic is ridiculous, IMO.

Now...as for more of my opinions directed specifically at this ACGM...and any other one looking for the Leafs to add grit....I think we all forget very easily how, just over a year ago...we were begging Babcock to move Komarov lower in the lineup and to replace Matt Martin with Kapanen...and how our team took off as soon as we went with a skilled lineup over a heavy one.

I don't think adding 1 or 2 bottom six wingers with toughness changes the team's dynamic for the better...to me it's going back to the inefficient style of play we had through a lot of last year. In today's NHL, the unicorn's seem to be the power forwards or annoying pests that have top 6 skill. Tom Wilson, Marchand, Max Domi....people who just flat out piss off the opposition..not just because they get in big hits or cheap shots...but as you're chasing them down for revenge they're filling the back of your net.

For me...adding beef like Reaves isn't something I'd consider giving up assets for. On the other hand, I'm also a big fan of having a least 1 d-man that can toss some bodies out from the front of his own net....leafs don't really have that.

Very well spoken, thank you!

Would a better option instead of Reaves be to try and target McNabb and some other assets then perhaps? IF a trade were to come to fruition that is.
Feb. 26, 2019 at 10:19 p.m.

Would a better option instead of Reaves be to try and target McNabb and some other assets then perhaps? IF a trade were to come to fruition that is.

Well, again...it's all opinion...if you like Reaves there's nothing wrong with that and he could very well be a great addition.

McNabb on D would be a good big body but I think the leafs are set on the left side for next year. I'll be keeping an eye on McQuaid with Columbus now to see if he's still capable of playing reliable D defending the rush as well as be a presence in front of the net. And the cap hit doesn't make sense...but I'd even look at a Zach Bogosian as a potential big strong D man for the right side.

Something tells me the leafs are going to end up plugging holes on D with internal replacements next year. But if Dubas is finding it hard to get Kapanen and Johnsson signed on reasonable deals...I still think moving one in a deal for Brett Pesce is their best option. Plan A would be to scrape together a cheap D-core for next year with what we have and then re-load again once Marleau is off the books....but, for me, Pesce is still the option that fits the best with the style the leafs play
Feb. 26, 2019 at 10:23 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Edited Feb. 26, 2019 at 10:34 p.m.

Is it just me or are there a ton of posts missing in this thread? I count 3 of my own (only 1 strike tho) and it looks like a few of yours/ other posters as well. Not sure why my first post got nixed but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Either way it makes re-reading this thread kinda funny. If we go quiet for awhile we know what happened lol.

On the McNabb thing, im not sure that would be a good idea after him taking a run at Mango, although before that I would have agreed with you that he would be a nice piece. Too bad he is left handed.

In terms of getting other assets, I was on record saying that the only Nylander trade I would be happy with (that was considered fair at the time) would be Willy for Matthew Tkachuk 1-for-1 as long as he cam e with a contract extension. <--- (note: this was in the off season, when Willy was seen as more valuable then Tkachuk.) I seriously doubt that even with Willy's play Calgary even entertains a trade.

Outside of massive trades, you are prolly best to look to guys already on our roster or in our system. We had the skyscraper line win the Calder last year (I think the shortest was 6"3') and they are currently transitioning one of the wingers to centre and it is going surprisingly well. On our current roster the answer seems to be Hyman, Brown, Goat, Muzzin, Kadri (more the grit and piss off the other guys side of things) and I think Mango has it in him. Matthews has also been throwing his weight around lately resulting in this beautiful gif:

Also look to the rest of the squad to step up and play heavy as babs likes to say:

Either way I think we should be prioritizing skill over things like grit and toughness, but not be opposed to getting both (like Muzz).
Juice liked this.
Feb. 26, 2019 at 10:34 p.m.
In Pridham we trust
I like Colin Miller, but he's not even close to the calibre of Dman that I would consider moving Nylander for. And the Leafs can't afford a Reaves making that much $$ to play less than 10 minutes a night on their 4th line next year, so he adds nothing to that trade imo.

Big hits happen against every team, no matter their toughness. Wilson was running guys in the finals last year vs Vegas. Having one tough guy playing 8 min a night does nothing to protect teams anymore, if it mattered that much Martin would still be here.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll