Forums/Armchair-GM

If Marleau doesnt retire

Created by: blowing_the_zone
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 27, 2019
Published: Apr. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Rasmus Andersson trade could be for Kapanen or Johnsson, whoever Calgary prefers.. depending if they'd even be interested in trading him, or if they could take on the cap hit of Kap or Johnsson. Point being Kap or Johnsson could be a cap casualty and flipped somewhere for a promising rhd that is still an rfa.

The larger point I'm trying to make here is that the leafs are not in Cap hell, but do have a tight year next year. After which upto 14M becomes available when Marleau, Muzzin, Brown and, yes, Hainsey contracts expire.

This roster certaintly has holes, but I'd bet they're still a playoff team, and would be well positioned to reload and take a serious run at the cup the following year with an add of a stud ufa rhd (given all their cap space that year, and the number of available and good RHDs) and the hopeful readiness of a Sandin/Lily 3rd d pairing.

If Marleau does retire, and I think that's a real possibility, then managing the cap next year is even easier and we likely only need to move Brown.

I really do think the leafs are in good shape moving forward. It might just take longer than we want to get to where we want to be...
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,250,000
3$3,250,000
3$9,300,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$2,000,000
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$75,750,532$0$272,500$7,249,468
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,300,000$9,300,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RW
UFA - 3
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$755,833$755,833 (Performance Bonus$57,500$58K)
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 9, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.
Tspky
the thing is, since marleau was over 35 when he signed that contract he doesn't go off the cap even IF he retires-- you'll have to pay someone to take the cap
Apr. 9, 2019 at 2:46 p.m.
Quoting: Spanky227
the thing is, since marleau was over 35 when he signed that contract he doesn't go off the cap even IF he retires-- you'll have to pay someone to take the cap

True. But if he retires his contract can be traded. This has been discussed at length and multiple agms have shown how it can be done.
Spanky227 liked this.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
True. But if he retires his contract can be traded. This has been discussed at length and multiple agms have shown how it can be done.

They've shown it is possible. No ACGM has shown a sensible retired Marleau trade.

Calgary passes. You'd have to trade more than you'd want for Sandin to get Andersson. Calgary scored more goals and allowed fewer goals than the Leafs.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 3:13 p.m.
Quoting: Riley816
They've shown it is possible. No ACGM has shown a sensible retired Marleau trade.

Calgary passes. You'd have to trade more than you'd want for Sandin to get Andersson. Calgary scored more goals and allowed fewer goals than the Leafs.

Fair enough. So maybe a pick or Drusak and/or Hallowell is thrown in with Kap/Johnsson. I doubt very much the leafs will ever part with Sandin unless its for a proven bonfide unicorn RHD.

I've seen a couple Brodie for Kap trades posted by Flames fans. Do you think the Flames would part with Rasmus in a fair trade? Or do you think it would take a big overpayment to get him? Could the Flames even take on the cap of Kap/Johnsson while losing RA?

Also, point taken on how good the Flames are this year, and moving forward. I think they have a real shot at the cup over the next few years.

It's also good to remind us Leaf fans that the Flames didn't make the playoffs last year, and yet, you look really good going into the playoffs this year.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
Fair enough. I doubt very much the Flames(leafs) will ever part with Andersson (Sandin) unless its for a proven bonfide unicorn player.

There is the quote that describes Andersson trade...
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
There is the quote that describes Andersson trade...

Yeah, unicorn hunting is tricky. Once you have one it's hard to give up, unless a sure shot unicorn is coming back your way..
Riley816 liked this.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 3:47 p.m.
Yeah, unicorn hunting is tricky. Once you have one it's hard to give up, unless a sure shot unicorn is coming back your way..

Calgary has one more season of Brodie and Hamonic. Andersson and Valimaki are needed in Calgary.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 4:01 p.m.
Calgary has one more season of Brodie and Hamonic. Andersson and Valimaki are needed in Calgary.

Yep. Calgary is in good shape moving forward, with what looks like a good pipeline in place to succession important current vets that will either start to decline or become too expensive, or both. The Flames and Leafs (i hope) seem to be developing a similiar patient approach to sustained success..

Throw in the Jets and the promising seasons for both the habs and caucks with their young talent and Canadian hickey teams look good moving forward. The Oilers and Sens can't be included in that conversation, but that's ok. We'll always need a couple Canadian duds to satisfy our national inferiority complex compared to the states..
Apr. 9, 2019 at 4:13 p.m.
Yep. Calgary is in good shape moving forward, with what looks like a good pipeline in place to succession important current vets that will either start to decline or become too expensive, or both. The Flames and Leafs (i hope) seem to be developing a similiar patient approach to sustained success..

Throw in the Jets and the promising seasons for both the habs and caucks with their young talent and Canadian hickey teams look good moving forward. The Oilers and Sens can't be included in that conversation, but that's ok. We'll always need a couple Canadian duds to satisfy our national inferiority complex compared to the states..

At least we're not talking Sabres. Sixth straight top 8 draft pick. If they don't re-sign Skinner AND draft in the top 2 another top 8 pick coming up...
Apr. 9, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
At least we're not talking Sabres. Sixth straight top 8 draft pick. If they don't re-sign Skinner AND draft in the top 2 another top 8 pick coming up...

I can't really speak to the sabres, cause I just don't know enough about their program.

But I think you're spot on where you allude to how important effective management is to building ongoing team success. Paniced trades/sigjings show that at very least management is doing something, but sometimes the best course of action is to just develop a plan and then give it the time it needs to bear fruit.. even if that means a team takes a small step back from one season to the next in order to get to where you want to be..
Apr. 9, 2019 at 5:19 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Plenty of agm’s have shown sensible retired marleau trades. He is owed 1.25m after July 1st. It is a very easy trade to a team looking to get to the cap floor and pick up some futures.

Calgary is thin on right wing. If they were able to move Neal they would consider a deal centring around andersson and kappy. I personally would love to see kappy here. Think he would be a great fit. Probably need to be more moving pieces and certainly not a for sure deal. Young RHD that play as well as him are hard to come by.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 5:48 p.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Plenty of agm’s have shown sensible retired marleau trades. He is owed 1.25m after July 1st. It is a very easy trade to a team looking to get to the cap floor and pick up some futures.

Calgary is thin on right wing. If they were able to move Neal they would consider a deal centring around andersson and kappy. I personally would love to see kappy here. Think he would be a great fit. Probably need to be more moving pieces and certainly not a for sure deal. Young RHD that play as well as him are hard to come by.

One team will be close to the cap floor. Ottawa. That's it. More teams ended this year over the cap than were over the floor by less than 12 mil.

Calgary finished 2nd in the NHL in goals for. They don't seem to have a problem scoring...
Apr. 9, 2019 at 5:56 p.m.

Hey, Po. I have a challenge for you, if you're happy to pick it up..

Could you take the premise of this trade idea and flesh it out? i.e. what promising elc rhd's are out there that could be traded for one of Kap/Johnson that would make sense for both teams, while also shedding Z in order to make the cap work?

I feel like I might finally have a handle on the leafs after all these years.. but there's 30 other teams and I'm too slow at learning to pull this request off by my own..
Apr. 9, 2019 at 5:57 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
One team will be close to the cap floor. Ottawa. That's it. More teams ended this year over the cap than were over the floor by less than 12 mil.

Calgary finished 2nd in the NHL in goals for. They don't seem to have a problem scoring...

Lol... kappy is a fairly well rounded player both ways and an excellent penalty killer.

Arizona will need help getting to the cap floor as well. But even once they get there cap space isn’t an issue. If they can take on a contract like marleau’s for futures they certainly would. Columbus may also be well below the cap if their ufa’s walk. They are also left lacking picks. Second and a b prospect for the cheap 1.25m contract should be more than enough.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 6:05 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Hey, Po. I have a challenge for you, if you're happy to pick it up..

Could you take the premise of this trade idea and flesh it out? i.e. what promising elc rhd's are out there that could be traded for one of Kap/Johnson that would make sense for both teams, while also shedding Z in order to make the cap work?

I feel like I might finally have a handle on the leafs after all these years.. but there's 30 other teams and I'm too slow at learning to pull this request off by my own..

Certainly, I already have a short list of players in my mind that fit the bill. I would focus more on kappy that Johnsson. After marleau is gone we get fairly shallow on the left side. Some of them will need add on’s.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Apr. 9, 2019 at 6:10 p.m.
Certainly, I already have a short list of players in my mind that fit the bill. I would focus more on kappy that Johnsson. After marleau is gone we get fairly shallow on the left side. Some of them will need add on’s.

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll