Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RD
RFA - 5
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 18, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
EthanBearForVezina
That Montreal deal is horrible. And replace samorukov with a pick in the Vegas deal
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
Interesting. I really think the Oil could feasibly get Haula and/or Eakin (not sure if they get/want both) as Vegas has put them on the trade block and desperately needs to offload capspace.
I agree with removing Samorukov and replacing it with a pick (from an oilers perspective), but Vegas bled lots of prospects lately and need to re-supply teh prospect pool. They've got lots of picks and most likely will ask for players over picks.

I don't think MTL will be getting rid of Tatar. They love him there.
TheDuminator liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:02 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: EthanBearForVezina
That Montreal deal is horrible. And replace samorukov with a pick in the Vegas deal

Can you explain why MTL deal doesn't make sense?
Tatar + 2nd for Klefbom is more than fair...
and Gagner to clean some salary for Reilly & Hudon... will complete your roster at a cheaper cost
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:03 p.m.
Blackhawks would take Klefbom for that price in a heartbeat. Saad, Forsling, Sikura, and a 2nd.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:03 p.m.
exo2769
CHI doesn't want Russell. I saw Justin Lowe's piece. He's ignoring all the years of poor defensive play just because Russell plays on the left side and steps in front of pucks.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:06 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: YvanF
Interesting. I really think the Oil could feasibly get Haula and/or Eakin (not sure if they get/want both) as Vegas has put them on the trade block and desperately needs to offload capspace.
I agree with removing Samorukov and replacing it with a pick (from an oilers perspective), but Vegas bled lots of prospects lately and need to re-supply teh prospect pool. They've got lots of picks and most likely will ask for players over picks.

I don't think MTL will be getting rid of Tatar. They love him there.

Vegas: that's the main reason why I choose Samu... Good Mid-High Prospect... but I can swap it for a 3rd as I need my 2nd for Saad...
MTL: Tatar have skill and speed...and Edm need TOP Winger... And to get the right LHD piece they are looking for, I think the trigger is there.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: Petrock83
Blackhawks would take Klefbom for that price in a heartbeat. Saad, Forsling, Sikura, and a 2nd.

Klef is not available... Not on my roster :-) traded already for Tatar+++
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:09 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: exo2769
CHI doesn't want Russell. I saw Justin Lowe's piece. He's ignoring all the years of poor defensive play just because Russell plays on the left side and steps in front of pucks.

Russel with 72G this year finish in the plus playing on is natural side LHD as a Lefty shooter.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: DomCholette
Russel with 72G this year finish in the plus playing on is natural side LHD as a Lefty shooter.

I'm not trading for anyone with the only reasoning being A.) his +/- was Plus for the year and B.) he's a natural LHD. KR's been terrible and slow for years. ...CHIARELLI signed him...if the 1st two reasons weren't enough...this one should speak for itself. Also, he blocks sooo many pucks is because he's not fast enough to get to them before the offense turns around and snipes one to the net.

***EDIT*** let's put in this way. Seabrook was a stud Dman back in the day. People say he stinks now and he's slow. What did he JUST have a career high in...blocked shots.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: exo2769
I'm not trading for anyone with the only reasoning being A.) his +/- was Plus for the year and B.) he's a natural LHD. KR's been terrible and slow for years. ...CHIARELLI signed him...if the 1st two reasons weren't enough...this one should speak for itself. Also, he blocks sooo many pucks is because he's not fast enough to get to them before the offense turns around and snipes one to the net.

***EDIT*** let's put in this way. Seabrook was a stud Dman back in the day. People say he stinks now and he's slow. What did he JUST have a career high in...blocked shots.

Would you consider Benning instead?
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
exo2769
Would you consider Benning instead?

I would actually prefer Benning over Russell, but I didn't think he played LD and it would have to be a really different type of trade.
TheDuminator liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:24 p.m.
The Oilers defense would get destroyed. Petrovic couldn't lay bottom pairing last year, now he's top 4? I'm all for rebuilding the D, but you gutted it and left it ...
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: Trade97soIcancheerforanotherteam
The Oilers defense would get destroyed. Lottery Pick

They are 2 way of making a good defense: 1) Get a STUD D... but this is VERY EXPENSIVE (ask for Nuge or Drai) 2) Or getting many 2way Top9player (Saad, Haula, Eakin... and even Tatar who surprised me playing in is zone)
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:35 p.m.
and Gagner to clean some salary for Reilly & Hudon... will complete your roster at a cheaper cost

MTL deal doesn't make sense because we need Klefbom more than we need Tatar + 2nd. Klefbom is arguably the most complete dman on this roster. If Tatar is not producing points, he doesn't add any value; same can't be said for Klefbom.

No need for Reilly or Hudon because those are two things we have a lot of: bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing dmen.

I would scrap the whole deal entirely.

Everyone on your d core is playing above their weight class.

Nurse is good but best suited for 2nd pair for now.
Sekera is a 3rd pairing dman at the moment.
Petrovic and Rielly are probably 7th dmen.
Bouchard should be playing in the minors.
YvanF liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: ConnorsCousin
MTL deal doesn't make sense because we need Klefbom more than we need Tatar + 2nd. Klefbom is arguably the most complete dman on this roster. If Tatar is not producing points, he doesn't add any value; same can't be said for Klefbom.

No need for Reilly or Hudon because those are two things we have a lot of: bottom 6 forwards and bottom pairing dmen.

I would scrap the whole deal entirely.

Everyone on your d core is playing above their weight class.

Nurse is good but best suited for 2nd pair for now.
Sekera is a 3rd pairing dman at the moment.
Petrovic and Rielly are probably 7th dmen.
Bouchard should be playing in the minors.

You are not toooo optimistic of the future or at least the next 2 years!
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
NYI, BOS and COL don't have a stud like Josi, doughty, Giordano or Hedmen.
I like the forward acquisitions, but the reason Edmonton has sucked for so long is cause the D can't break up a cycle, isn't mobile enough and can't make a pass. There's no transition game at all. This D-corp will get slaughtered. Doesn't matter how good the 2way forwards are. The forwards don't defend the rush and the center is only 1/3 of breaking the cycle down low. They don't need stud D. They need competent D that can skate and move the puck. Russel is competent D and can skate, but he cannot move the puck. Benning & Larsson are both competent but neither one is a strong puck mover. Pertovic isn't fast enough and can't move the puck. Sekera is better than all of them, but likely belongs in the bottom pairing after the injuries.
TheDuminator liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
HabsFan
NYI, BOS and COL don't have a stud like Josi, doughty, Giordano or Hedmen.
I like the forward acquisitions, but the reason Edmonton has sucked for so long is cause the D can't break up a cycle, isn't mobile enough and can't make a pass. There's no transition game at all. This D-corp will get slaughtered. Doesn't matter how good the 2way forwards are. The forwards don't defend the rush and the center is only 1/3 of breaking the cycle down low. They don't need stud D. They need competent D that can skate and move the puck. Russel is competent D and can skate, but he cannot move the puck. Benning & Larsson are both competent but neither one is a strong puck mover. Pertovic isn't fast enough and can't move the puck. Sekera is better than all of them, but likely belongs in the bottom pairing after the injuries.

Than should I trade Nurse for Tatar & Kulak? (kulak can seriously skate with the puck... but creates alot of turnover)
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
You are not toooo optimistic of the future or at least the next 2 years!

man as a long time Oilers fan, I've learned you can't rush prospects into spots they're not ready for and trading proven NHL talent for futures will get you nowhere.

saw you revised the trade with MTL. Nurse isn't going anywhere. Really, our d core is set.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse--RHD puck moving dman
Sekera-Benning

That is a solid d core.

If you want a LHD from the Oilers, you can have Russell for our 5th rounder back.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 3:57 p.m.
HabsFan
Quoting: ConnorsCousin
man as a long time Oilers fan, I've learned you can't rush prospects into spots they're not ready for and trading proven NHL talent for futures will get you nowhere.

saw you revised the trade with MTL. Nurse isn't going anywhere. Really, our d core is set.

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse--RHD puck moving dman
Sekera-Benning

That is a solid d core.

If you want a LHD from the Oilers, you can have Russell for our 5th rounder back.

Actually what I want... is a great player to play with McDavid and having a great TOP6... not only a Amazing Top2 + 2 OK Top6... and 2 empty seats.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
EthanBearForVezina

You don’t trade nurse or Klefbom no matter until Caleb jones proves he can play top 4 minutes. Not to mention Klefbom is only 25 and Tatar is 28.
TheDuminator liked this.
Apr. 18, 2019 at 4:06 p.m.
Than should I trade Nurse for Tatar & Kulak? (kulak can seriously skate with the puck... but creates alot of turnover)

What? I'm not sure where you got that idea. Edmonton needs to IMPROVE the D, not make it worse. Nurse and Kelfbom are the only guys I would want to keep. But I'd move Klefbom in the right package for a stud D. All the others are expendable...as long as the D is improved through the trade or other trades. I don't know Kulak well, but he sounds like he'd be a 6th/7th guy. If he moves the puck and skates better than Petrovic....then I'd take him over Petrovic. Would Wild consider Spurgeon (extended) for something starting with Yamamoto or Puljujarvi? Would Carolina or Philly want to move some of their D for combination of draft pick or Yamamoto or Puljujarvi? Would Stralman sign on to be our second pairing RD? Miller is supposed to be available in Vegas...is he a fit?
Apr. 18, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
HabsFan
What? I'm not sure where you got that idea. Edmonton needs to IMPROVE the D, not make it worse. Nurse and Kelfbom are the only guys I would want to keep. But I'd move Klefbom in the right package for a stud D. All the others are expendable...as long as the D is improved through the trade or other trades. I don't know Kulak well, but he sounds like he'd be a 6th/7th guy. If he moves the puck and skates better than Petrovic....then I'd take him over Petrovic. Would Wild consider Spurgeon (extended) for something starting with Yamamoto or Puljujarvi? Would Carolina or Philly want to move some of their D for combination of draft pick or Yamamoto or Puljujarvi? Would Stralman sign on to be our second pairing RD? Miller is supposed to be available in Vegas...is he a fit?

Yep but I already have spent all the money I could in above with the other 2 trades... need a great TOP 6 and OK Def
Apr. 18, 2019 at 4:32 p.m.
HabsFan
Yep but I already have spent all the money I could in above with the other 2 trades... need a great TOP 6 and OK Def

OK I have reverse Nurse/Klef for Tatar... still think we need some PUNCH on the top6
Apr. 18, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.

Koskinen is at $4.5MM next year, so you have to go back to the drawing board anyways.
I agree we need wingers in the top 6 and center depth. It was depressing to watch how little offense ad creativity from the other lines. But (personally) a lot of that started with lack of puck moving D. McDavid and Leon can excel regardless cause they're genius. Plus they mostly got the top D......everyone else was stuck with the scrubs........II like Eakin and Haula. Maybe just 1 of them? Or forget Saad. His speed matches with McDavid though. Maybe take a flyer on another Chaisson.... Pirri? Or move Larsson to Toronto see if you can pry Kapanen or Johnsson ?
Apr. 18, 2019 at 5:11 p.m.
HabsFan
Koskinen is at $4.5MM next year, so you have to go back to the drawing board anyways.
I agree we need wingers in the top 6 and center depth. It was depressing to watch how little offense ad creativity from the other lines. But (personally) a lot of that started with lack of puck moving D. McDavid and Leon can excel regardless cause they're genius. Plus they mostly got the top D......everyone else was stuck with the scrubs........II like Eakin and Haula. Maybe just 1 of them? Or forget Saad. His speed matches with McDavid though. Maybe take a flyer on another Chaisson.... Pirri? Or move Larsson to Toronto see if you can pry Kapanen or Johnsson ?

I wouldn't trade Larsson as you mention earlier... WE NEED DEFENSE and he is our best RHD until Bouchard get NHL speeds...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll