Forums/Armchair-GM

Cap Motivated Trades ANA NYI

Created by: TML_GM
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 8, 2019
Published: May 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Concept is to target a couple of players that are on good deals with term that fill lineup voids.

Ritchie (1.5Mx2): Age 23, PWF, still developing, decent offense, takes a lot of bad penalties
Mayfeild (1.45Mx4): Age 26, big, shutdown, physical RHD, not much offense

Note on Mayfield, I don't know a lot about him so I am making some assumptions here based on what I have read. Apologies if I am undervaluing him NYI fans.

This comes at the expense of Johnsson and Kapanen, who the Leafs hate to lose but may be forced to move due to the Marner contract. Ritchie essentially slots in as an AJ replacement on the left (downgrade) and Mayfield becomes Reilly's new bigger, stronger, younger Hainsey.

Note - Marner's 10.5 is on a short term deal to reduce the number. Means he can cash in at a younger age. He'll be RFA, but with arb rights.

Of course Marleau could just do us a solid and agree to be moved and retire (or suddenly become allergic to hockey equipment and go on LTIR),
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
4$10,500,000
2$850,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Kesler, Ryan
  2. Ritchie, Nick
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Assumes Kessler is on LTIR. While that takes care of the cap for Anaheim they still need to pay the balance of what his contract is insured for (say 20% if only 80% is insured) and the Leafs could pay that cost instead.
ANA
  1. Johnsson, Andreas [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 4th round pick (TOR)
  3. 2020 7th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
If Johnsson demands/is awarded something north of 3.25M.
NYI
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi [RFA Rights]
  2. 2019 4th round pick (TOR)
  3. 2020 7th round pick (SJS)
TOR
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (NYI)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$77,426,124$0$82,500$5,573,876

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,500,000$10,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the New York Islanders
$1,450,000$1,450,000
RD
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 8, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Marner will be a UFA after this deal.
May 8, 2019 at 2:46 p.m.
Llinder2016
Only if Kesler goes on Ltir is the only way this works and he has to promise he will stay on it haha
May 8, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
Randy Carlyle
I'd do this in a heartbeat as a Ducks fan, but it seems highly improbable; that probably isn't enough to dump Kesler's contract, and getting Johnsson back is too good to be true. If anything, it would be the other way around, with the Ducks taking on whatever cap they can (think Zaitsev packaged with a pick or two).
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 8, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
Islanders Fan
I don't think the Mayfield deal is unreasonable. It's one of the better trades I've seen on here involving the Isles and Leafs. I would like to see the 3rd potentially become a 2nd if JHS reaches a certain number of points though. He's a lottery ticket but I honestly think he is very skilled. Just hasn't gotten a fair shake here.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 8, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I don't like the Ritchie-Johnsson trade from Toronto's point of view. (I can tell because I love it from Anaheim's POV.) Johnsson is a better player already than Ritchie and has a higher upside. I don't see how the modest cap benefit is sufficient to overcome that gap.
May 8, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: Bcarlo25
Marner will be a UFA after this deal.

Whoops, thought I had set that to 3 years... lets just pretend that is a 3. Thanks.
May 8, 2019 at 3:14 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: SDSUFRATMAN
Only if Kesler goes on Ltir is the only way this works and he has to promise he will stay on it haha

Yes, the word is he plans to "retire" (which means stay on LTIR in this case), which is why I added him in. Leafs are just paying the insurance difference and any other associated costs for Anaheim.
May 8, 2019 at 3:15 p.m.
Bcarlo25
Quoting: TML_GM
Whoops, thought I had set that to 3 years... lets just pretend that is a 3. Thanks.

save a little money! for 3 years I think you can bump that down to 9. At most 9.616.
May 8, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: OldNYIfan
I don't like the Ritchie-Johnsson trade from Toronto's point of view. (I can tell because I love it from Anaheim's POV.) Johnsson is a better player already than Ritchie and has a higher upside. I don't see how the modest cap benefit is sufficient to overcome that gap.

I'm not all that hot on it either, however when you consider that Ritchie is younger and plays a traditionally late blooming role as a PWF (think Wilson WSH, Ferlund CGY/CAR, Andersen CBJ), it isn't that horrible a gamble (especially with the 2nd included). I think his presence and physicality takes a lot of pressure off of Kadri to be the sole provider of that element on this team as well. Maybe even keeps him available in the first round next season.

In an ideal world, we would sign everyone and be happy. Unfortunately, the cap is a thing.
May 8, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: Bcarlo25
save a little money! for 3 years I think you can bump that down to 9. At most 9.616.

I always err on the high side on here with Marner, lest I receive a thousand posts saying "Marner will get more". If the shave about a million off it just means they likely carry 3 scratches instead of 2 or try and acquire a slight upgrade on 4C (perhaps an aging vet on a prove it/discount contract like Brassard, Spezza, Kruger).
May 8, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
I'd be weary of acquiring Nick Ritchie. He might be the slowest skater in the league for someone his age. His hands are terrific and he's actually developed as a pretty good passer the last couple of years. But he'll be an absolutely anchor with the way Toronto attacks with speed. Also, Kesler isn't going anywhere. Even if his hip won't allow him to play he still has a full no-move clause and doesn't sound eager to waive it for any reason.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 8, 2019 at 3:28 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: joshelkin
I don't think the Mayfield deal is unreasonable. It's one of the better trades I've seen on here involving the Isles and Leafs. I would like to see the 3rd potentially become a 2nd if JHS reaches a certain number of points though. He's a lottery ticket but I honestly think he is very skilled. Just hasn't gotten a fair shake here.

Thanks, glad to see I'm not completely off-base on value from the other side.

JHS is certainly a lottery ticket, that's why I included him. With the right support he could still turn into something similar to Kap (at least with offensive production), even if the chances are slim. He's not likely to make the Isles and he won't clear waivers so he doesn't add that much value to the trade. I'd be willing to let the 4th become a 3rd if he hit 15 goals or 45 points. Though we don't have the 4th in 2020, so some other shenanigans would be required.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 8, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: RandyC
I'd do this in a heartbeat as a Ducks fan, but it seems highly improbable; that probably isn't enough to dump Kesler's contract, and getting Johnsson back is too good to be true. If anything, it would be the other way around, with the Ducks taking on whatever cap they can (think Zaitsev packaged with a pick or two).

Well this only goes down if Kesler is "retiring" to LTIR, as is the rumor. He lives on the Leafs LTIR instead of the Ducks and they pickup the tab on any insurance related costs for the next 3 years. It is a minimal value add for the Ducks in this case.

I am interested if there is a package involving Zaitsev and Johnsson that could net the Leafs a similar return from the Ducks and potentially free-up that cap space for a Zaitsev upgrade. Something around Zaitsev + Johnsson for Manson + Ritchie as a base to get it started?
May 8, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
Randy Carlyle
Well this only goes down if Kesler is "retiring" to LTIR, as is the rumor. He lives on the Leafs LTIR instead of the Ducks and they pickup the tab on any insurance related costs for the next 3 years. It is a minimal value add for the Ducks in this case.

I am interested if there is a package involving Zaitsev and Johnsson that could net the Leafs a similar return from the Ducks and potentially free-up that cap space for a Zaitsev upgrade. Something around Zaitsev + Johnsson for Manson + Ritchie as a base to get it started?

While I like Zaitsev and think he could be serviceable playing sheltered/ 3rd pairing minutes, his contract makes him a negative value asset at this point; Toronto will need to sweeten the deal by adding more to even get trade talks off the ground. In addition, Manson + Ritchie >> Johnsson, so it would take much more to add Zaitsev to that deal. Think Manson + Ritchie for Zaitsev, Kapanen and Sandin or Liljegren as a starting point.
May 8, 2019 at 3:40 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: TheJoeMan
I'd be weary of acquiring Nick Ritchie. He might be the slowest skater in the league for someone his age. His hands are terrific and he's actually developed as a pretty good passer the last couple of years. But he'll be an absolutely anchor with the way Toronto attacks with speed. Also, Kesler isn't going anywhere. Even if his hip won't allow him to play he still has a full no-move clause and doesn't sound eager to waive it for any reason.

Good to know on Ritchie. I've watched him play and he didn't seem that slow. But then again I am old enough to remember Jason Allison skating around in a Leafs jersey. I like his hands around the net, his board play, and of course his physicality (something the Leafs are completely lacking outside of Kadri). I think he puts up some points on the Leafs PP and helps Matthews play a little more physical when he knows he has some backup on his line (he played more to his size when Hyman was on his LW). Leafs happen to have some great skating coaches on their development team too... they got (or is it goat) Freddy Gauthier to be a mobile NHL option.

With regards to Kesler, if he's "retiring" to LTIR then it doesn't matter where his paycheck is coming from as long as he gets it (ask Horton or Clarkson). He can live in Anaheim and walk around the beach with a cane and still get paid.
May 8, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
While I like Zaitsev and think he could be serviceable playing sheltered/ 3rd pairing minutes, his contract makes him a negative value asset at this point; Toronto will need to sweeten the deal by adding more to even get trade talks off the ground. In addition, Manson + Ritchie >> Johnsson, so it would take much more to add Zaitsev to that deal. Think Manson + Ritchie for Zaitsev, Kapanen and Sandin or Liljegren as a starting point.

I figured as much. Sandin is definitely off the table. He was the steal of the last half of that draft. I would expect him to get a call up half way through the season next year and take Rosen's spot. Liljegren being a RHD (and being expansion draft exempt) holds more value for the Leafs as well, he's playing big minutes on their farm team's Calder Cup run this year too. I'd rather hold on to Zaitsev in this case and try and dump his contract via the expansion draft. He seems to pair well enough with Muzzin. Certainly a big improvement over his pairing with Gardiner. I'm still willing to pull the trigger on the original trade (assuming of course Johnsson contract is going to be over 3.25M and Marner's cap pushes him out.)
May 8, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Randy Carlyle
I figured as much. Sandin is definitely off the table. He was the steal of the last half of that draft. I would expect him to get a call up half way through the season next year and take Rosen's spot. Liljegren being a RHD (and being expansion draft exempt) holds more value for the Leafs as well, he's playing big minutes on their farm team's Calder Cup run this year as well. I'd rather hold on to Zaitsev in this case and try and dump his contract via the expansion draft. He seems to pair well enough with Muzzin. Certainly a big improvement over his pairing with Gardiner. I'm still willing to pull the trigger on the original trade (assuming of course Johsson contract is going to be over 3.25M and Marner's cap pushes him out.)

Rightly so with Sandin, I don't see Dubas deals him for anything other than a top-2 d-man. There's just no point of the Ducks taking on Zaitsev's contract without getting a solid piece in return (and even more if Manson is involved). I'd take your original deal as well, but it seems bizarre to me why Toronto would want to take on Kesler's deal, especially for so little. Even with him on LTIR, I could still see taking much more to move his contract.
May 8, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Rightly so with Sandin, I don't see Dubas deals him for anything other than a top-2 d-man. There's just no point of the Ducks taking on Zaitsev's contract without getting a solid piece in return (and even more if Manson is involved). I'd take your original deal as well, but it seems bizarre to me why Toronto would want to take on Kesler's deal, especially for so little. Even with him on LTIR, I could still see taking much more to move his contract.

Money is meaningless to Toronto. Our hockey team bleeds money and is owned by the two biggest telecom companies in Canada. Both of which own TV networks that show their games and generate a ridiculous amount of advertising revenue . The small amout of Kesler's money they would have to pay is a drop in the ocean to Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment. Since he is on LTIR, the cap hit disappears.
May 8, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
Randy Carlyle
Money is meaningless to Toronto. Our hockey team bleeds money and is owned by the two biggest telecom companies in Canada. Both of which own TV networks that show their games and generate a ridiculous amount of advertising revenue . The small amout of Kesler's money they would have to pay is a drop in the ocean to Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment. Since he is on LTIR, the cap hit disappears.

I'm quite aware of how the cap works and of Toronto's financial situation. It just makes very little sense why they would throw a bone to Anaheim when they can extract a better return. I could easily see it taking Anaheim's late first to move Kesler's contract in reality, not including getting Johnsson in return. In addition, I would think that Dubas and co would prefer to be dumping salary, not taking more on (LTIR or not).
May 8, 2019 at 4:02 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Doubt if the Leafs want to take the chance that at sometime Kelser is ready to play again so disastrous 6.8m contract can't be hidden. And as suggested above, Kesler doesn't waive.
May 8, 2019 at 4:23 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
I'm quite aware of how the cap works and of Toronto's financial situation. It just makes very little sense why they would throw a bone to Anaheim when they can extract a better return. I could easily see it taking Anaheim's late first to move Kesler's contract in reality, not including getting Johnsson in return. In addition, I would think that Dubas and co would prefer to be dumping salary, not taking more on (LTIR or not).

Personally I think you are overvaluing the inclusion of Kesler's contract. As long as the understanding is that he is on LTIR for the next 3 years and he won't return during that span, then throwing him on LTIR holds minimal value. I'm happy to remove him from the deal entirely. I just tossed it in as no-true-cost-to-Toronto incentive for Anaheim, given their less stable finances.
May 8, 2019 at 4:26 p.m.
Armchair GM Addict
Quoting: palhal
Doubt if the Leafs want to take the chance that at sometime Kelser is ready to play again so disastrous 6.8m contract can't be hidden. And as suggested above, Kesler doesn't waive.

I guess he really likes the Anaheim logo on his paychecks. Seems odd that he wouldn't waive if he is essentially retiring. Again, the deal is only made if the agreement is that Kesler is not returning to play. It is all just speculation until he actually makes a decision on his future anyway. I'm happy to exclude him from the trade. It was just added incentive for Anaheim, which doesn't seem to be needed.
May 8, 2019 at 4:56 p.m.
Good to know on Ritchie. I've watched him play and he didn't seem that slow. But then again I am old enough to remember Jason Allison skating around in a Leafs jersey. I like his hands around the net, his board play, and of course his physicality (something the Leafs are completely lacking outside of Kadri). I think he puts up some points on the Leafs PP and helps Matthews play a little more physical when he knows he has some backup on his line (he played more to his size when Hyman was on his LW). Leafs happen to have some great skating coaches on their development team too... they got (or is it goat) Freddy Gauthier to be a mobile NHL option.

With regards to Kesler, if he's "retiring" to LTIR then it doesn't matter where his paycheck is coming from as long as he gets it (ask Horton or Clarkson). He can live in Anaheim and walk around the beach with a cane and still get paid.

Oof Jason Allison, now there was a slow forward yikes. Yeah Rich isn't that slow for sure!

And I agree about Kesler. But just judging on things he's said to the media it sounds like he would not be accommodating at all to moving even just his salary. His tone could change if it's decided he shouldn't play anymore but if I were a betting man I'd say put a squash on anything like that.
May 8, 2019 at 5:14 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
I guess he really likes the Anaheim logo on his paychecks. Seems odd that he wouldn't waive if he is essentially retiring. Again, the deal is only made if the agreement is that Kesler is not returning to play. It is all just speculation until he actually makes a decision on his future anyway. I'm happy to exclude him from the trade. It was just added incentive for Anaheim, which doesn't seem to be needed.

Well there can't be an agreement that he would stay retired. If at sometime he was deemed "fit to play", he's not going to stay retired and lose 6.8m a year. Unfortunately for the Leafs, there are lots of teams with little cap space, and other teams trying to dump cap.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll