Forums/Armchair-GM

Minimal Trades

Created by: A_Bear_On_Skates
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: May 16, 2019
Published: May 16, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I think the Leafs start the season with no spare parts. There's no way Holl gets claimed after last year, and if he does so what? Anyway, if I understand the cap correctly, having Holl and Mikheyev off the roster for about 5 days to start the season is all it takes to make the Leafs compliant (eg what they did with Moore this year, calling him up for game days only to keep the cap hit down). After that they can do what they like, though TBH I wouldn't be surprised to see them hold out as long as possible before bringing up either player. And if need be they can yo-yo Mikheyev on off days to add to the amount they can spend at the deadline, though they might want to avoid pissing him off.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$9,900,000
3$2,200,000
3$2,200,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Kesler, Ryan
  2. Manson, Josh
  3. 2019 4th round pick (ANA)
Additional Details:
Kesler has recently had what is probably career-ending surgery. While that would help their cap situation by being able to put him on LTIR, they'd still have to pay him... and from what I've heard the Ducks pockets aren't so well padded that they want to be doing that. Leafs take on Kesler's salary, LTIR him.
ANA
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
This is the exchange for helping the Ducks--they take Zaitsev and part with Manson. He's got a history of having great possession #'s relative to his teammates, but had a bad year so it's the perfect time to buy low--whereas Zaitsev plays a style of game I'm guessing the Ducks management won't mind since they employed Randy Carlyle TWICE. On the surface it looks like a fairly even swap. Both players are the same age, same position, close in both salary and term. Points per game and usage are almost identical. The only notable difference before getting into advanced numbers are that Manson has an inch and 25lbs on Zaitsev, which should keep Babs happy too.
TOR
  1. 2019 2nd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
Additional Details:
Babs isn't going to like it... heck, neither do I. I like Brown. But at his contract, he's expendable. Personally, I think he's worth more than a 2nd, he's just never had a chance to succeed any time except his rookie year beside Matthews. After that he's been mostly babysitting defensively poor players or buried on the 4th line. But right now... not going to get much more than that. Too bad.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
20$83,000,000$73,884,699$0$0$9,115,301

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,900,000$9,900,000
RW
UFA - 6
$2,200,000$2,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,200,000$2,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$700,000$700,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,050,000$2,050,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 16, 2019 at 12:13 p.m.
BigDog91
Brown is worth a 4th at most.
Ducks laugh at you and never pick up your call again. Also you do know that with LTIR u need to still be under the cap when season starts. So, for example I will not be able to sign marner till after the season starts. Also he will make more then 10 million.
May 16, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
I’m pretty sure 1. Oilers would not give you a second, and 2. He is probably worth a 4th, or 3rd round pick. If you want to trade him for a pick.
May 16, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
Oilers decline!
May 16, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: BigDog91
Brown is worth a 4th at most.
Ducks laugh at you and never pick up your call again. Also you do know that with LTIR u need to still be under the cap when season starts. So, for example I will not be able to sign marner till after the season starts. Also he will make more then 10 million.

So take a 4th... his salary is now an obstacle. And it doesn't have to be to the Oilers, they just seem like the best fit to me. They desperately need wingers, he's played with McDavid before, he'd get the opportunity to succeed he's just not going to get here, and we know the Oilers have already tried to get him once.

Ducks aren't exactly in a position to laugh.

Actually you don't. This is exactly the same stunt the Leafs pulled with Horton and Lupul a couple years back. Horton we know is eligible for offseason LTIR, and Kesler can be dealt with in the ordinary way on the last day of training camp. https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Marner *may* make more than 10M, but I'm not convinced. Kucherov makes $9.5M. Sure that's in a low tax state, but at the same time:
- Kucherov scores a ton of goals. Marner puts up assists like crazy, but goals get you more $$.
- Kucherov is at least the second-most important part of the Lightning, maybe even most important. Marner has at LEAST Matthews and Tavares ahead of him, maybe even behind Reilly since the Leaf's back end isn't as good as Tampa's.
- Florida has low tax, but in Toronto players can pack away far more in endorsement deals. And it's free of escrow. Not to mention the fact that players are paid in USD, which means more purchasing power in Canada. Monetarily it's a wash.
- Marner is local guy who presumably doesn't want to go anywhere else anyway.
- If at the end of the day they can't come to terms and someone decides to offer sheet, that's four 1st rounders and and extra $9M to spend. Leafs have all the leverage here.
Driedger18 liked this.
May 16, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: Copenhagen
Oilers decline!

ok
May 16, 2019 at 12:56 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: Nhl_oilers
I’m pretty sure 1. Oilers would not give you a second, and 2. He is probably worth a 4th, or 3rd round pick. If you want to trade him for a pick.

I'd take it if that's all they offered. His contract is an obstacle now. I just figure they already tried to get him once and they need wingers in a big way so they're probably the most likely trade partner for Brown.
Nhl_oilers liked this.
May 16, 2019 at 12:57 p.m.
Quoting: A_Bear_On_Skates
I'd take it if that's all they offered. His contract is an obstacle now. I just figure they already tried to get him once and they need wingers in a big way so they're probably the most likely trade partner for Brown.

Ok
A_Bear_On_Skates liked this.
May 16, 2019 at 1:27 p.m.
Only issue I would have is I think Johnsson and Kapanen make a little more but I like the rest. Well done
May 16, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: Driedger18
Only issue I would have is I think Johnsson and Kapanen make a little more but I like the rest. Well done

I wouldn't be shocked, however if they won't sign for roughly 2.2M I think they trade Kapanen instead of Brown. Or maybe in addition to. They just can't afford it IMO... and being a right winger Kappy is more replaceable. Bracco maybe?
May 16, 2019 at 7:25 p.m.
Quoting: A_Bear_On_Skates
I wouldn't be shocked, however, if they won't sign for roughly 2.2M I think they trade Kapanen instead of Brown. Or maybe in addition to. They just can't afford it IMO... and being a right winger Kappy is more replaceable. Bracco maybe?

I think Brown is gone for sure and then just comes down to space and demands. If Kapanen has to go then need to get a d man for sure. I'm on the deal Bracco side not because I don't like him but because we have incredible RW depth and he needs to play top 2 lines or he's not effective. He's got incredible value right now and could possibly, with other assets, net the Leafs a real good d man.
May 17, 2019 at 7:13 a.m.
A Bear On Skates
Quoting: Driedger18
I think Brown is gone for sure and then just comes down to space and demands. If Kapanen has to go then need to get a d man for sure. I'm on the deal Bracco side not because I don't like him but because we have incredible RW depth and he needs to play top 2 lines or he's not effective. He's got incredible value right now and could possibly, with other assets, net the Leafs a real good d man.

I have an idea they'd rather give Bracco another year in the AHL anyway, same as they did with Kappy, Johnsson and Moore. Maybe they bring up Marchment instead it they need a fourth line winger because he's probably better suited to that role. Or Engvall. I think long run though, Bracco ends up on the 3rd line and Kapanen is gone... as long as there's a skill center on the 3rd (Kadri) I feel like Bracco can do some damage. Kapanen has so much speed but too often it looks like he doesn't know what to do with it. Almost like he skates faster than he can think.

Ultimately I think they all could make the Leafs at some point so I hate the idea of losing even one of them. As problems go, it's a good one to have. Extremely interested to see what Dubas does with this this summer.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll