Forums/Armchair-GM

Senators help other teams

Created by: Rangno
Team: 2019-20 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: May 22, 2019
Published: May 22, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The Senators will need to hit the cap floor one way or another they may as well "help" other teams get rid of problem contracts while also gaining picks and prospects in return for there help. I will try and stay as at the cap floor because you know Eugene Melnyk is the owner.

I'm putting this note in after I've done all the moves I'm going to make just to hit the floor. I know I went defensive heavy and I probably would look and see what I could do to boost the forward group maybe get Allen from the Blues as well, but this was just to show what the Senators could possibly do this summer.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$950,000
2$3,750,000
Trades
OTT
  1. Darling, Scott
  2. 2019 3rd round pick (CAR)
CAR
  1. Condon, Mike
Additional Details:
Rumors heavily suggest Darling will be bought out by the Hurricanes this summer. The Senators take advantage of this and offer a cheaper and shorter term buy out option for the Cans.
OTT
  1. Alzner, Karl
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (MTL)
MTL
  1. Ceci, Cody [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Karl Alzner has been a massive disappointment in Montreal the Canadiens move him to the Senators for a player in Cody Ceci that has no intention of signing with the Senators long term. The Canadians get Ceci and hope he can turn his game around (doubtful imo) and the Senators get a NHL veteran for there blue line plus another 2nd to help with the rebuild.
OTT
  1. Beleskey, Matt
  2. Smith, Brendan
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (TBL)
  4. 2019 3rd round pick (NYR)
NYR
  1. Sturtz, Andrew
Additional Details:
The Rangers seem like they may go big game hunting in free agency the Sens get couple picks to take on these deals pretty simple cap dump deal
VGK
  1. 2019 5th round pick (OTT)
Additional Details:
Miller has fallen out of favour with the Knights the Senators come and pick up and NHL d man for next to nothing
OTT
  1. MacDonald, Andrew
  2. Strome, Matthew
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (PHI)
PHI
  1. Harpur, Ben
Additional Details:
Chuck Fletcher makes his first bigger move as Flyer's GM to free up some cap space. The Sens keep building up there defensive back end that is now starting to become packed with NHL vets
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,000,000$62,061,666$0$4,602,500$20,938,334
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
LW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 6
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,937,500$2,937,500
C
UFA - 1
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$747,500$747,500 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
LW
RFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$710,000$710K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$360,000$360K)
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
Logo of the New York Rangers
$4,350,000$4,350,000
LD/RD, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$4,625,000$4,625,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$4,150,000$4,150,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
RW
UFA - 2
$4,650,000$4,650,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 22, 2019 at 2:42 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Only problem with 3 year contracts with ntc fill up your protected list at expansion draft time, so buyouts and asking players to waive but limits your options when it comes to that time. Ottawa’s only chance to be rock solid again is to use draftpicks now and protected spots then to meet the owners statements
May 22, 2019 at 2:48 a.m.
Banned
How Many 2nd Round Draft Picks does it take to rebuild? ANSWER: 9
May 22, 2019 at 2:50 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I would avoid alzner, and find a home for Ryan, and adding miller not to protect him
May 22, 2019 at 2:51 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Babar

Tkachuk and chabot and 9 seconds to fill the rest of the protected list at expansion draft time lol
Babar liked this.
May 22, 2019 at 2:57 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Babar

2nd round picks have roughly a 25% chance of turning into a career NHL player. So, you will probably need more than 9, especially if you want to win.

I like the Alzner trade. He might benefit form a change.
VGK decline.
May 22, 2019 at 2:59 a.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
Only problem with 3 year contracts with ntc fill up your protected list at expansion draft time, so buyouts and asking players to waive but limits your options when it comes to that time. Ottawa’s only chance to be rock solid again is to use draftpicks now and protected spots then to meet the owners statements

NMC have to be protected. Not NTC...
May 22, 2019 at 3:04 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Riley816

Fair enough so a home for Ryan or does he waive, probably same boat they were in last expansion draft lol
May 22, 2019 at 3:15 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: pharrow
2nd round picks have roughly a 25% chance of turning into a career NHL player. So, you will probably need more than 9, especially if you want to win.

VGK decline.

Whole theory we got no body else your going to play and your going to play a lot lol worthy gamble on alzner
May 22, 2019 at 4:33 a.m.
Banned
Whole theory we got no body else your going to play and your going to play a lot lol worthy gamble on alzner

the problem with that is, most 2nd round picks really have no business at the NHL level. They don't have the skill sets or complete games. Some can score occasionally but have no situational awareness to play defense. Others can play defense, but have no ability to score. A lot struggle with skating, aren't fast enough. Some are just injury prone to the point they were probably spent the year or two after they were drafted. There are reasons the number is so low. You'll end up fielding an AHL level team and everyone will be like, where is the rebuild.
May 22, 2019 at 6:35 a.m.
Vegas laughs at that offer for Miller, you will have to offer a 2nd and some juice
May 22, 2019 at 8:59 a.m.
Sports and Tacos

VGK decline.

Love the stat. I am a big advocate for trading picks for established players. Even a player in the top 10 (outside the top 3) have less than 50% in becoming an everyday NHL player. That said, the more picks you have, the better chance you have in landing something good.

And... How????? Alzner is awful and in no way does he belong in the NHL. Ceci, on the other hand, still has value and team flexibility (RFA). And IDK where @Rangno got his information but reports are saying that he wants to (https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/ceci-optimistic-about-staying-with-senators). and I wouldn't mind keeping him under the right contract.
May 22, 2019 at 10:09 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: ThatGuy
Love the stat. I am a big advocate for trading picks for established players. Even a player in the top 10 (outside the top 3) have less than 50% in becoming an everyday NHL player. That said, the more picks you have, the better chance you have in landing something good.

And... How????? Alzner is awful and in no way does he belong in the NHL. Ceci, on the other hand, still has value and team flexibility (RFA). And IDK where @Rangno got his information but reports are saying that he wants to (https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/ceci-optimistic-about-staying-with-senators). and I wouldn't mind keeping him under the right contract.

Alzner was decent in washington. I'm not saying he was the best defenseman in the league but he was servicable. I mean hell they were winning a lot of games with him back there.
Did he sign a big contract, yup. But you can't put that on him, someone overpaid for defense. That's nothing new in the NHL. But I think it wasn't the right fit and now everyone wants to say he sucks and isn't any good etc.. What I'm saying is different environment and different results. Not that he'd be all world and worth that huge cap hit, but he'd be at least serviceable back there.
May 23, 2019 at 9:45 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Alzner was decent in washington. I'm not saying he was the best defenseman in the league but he was servicable. I mean hell they were winning a lot of games with him back there.
Did he sign a big contract, yup. But you can't put that on him, someone overpaid for defense. That's nothing new in the NHL. But I think it wasn't the right fit and now everyone wants to say he sucks and isn't any good etc.. What I'm saying is different environment and different results. Not that he'd be all world and worth that huge cap hit, but he'd be at least serviceable back there.

I'm not sure if you've seen him play recently... He literately cannot keep up with the play... It's not even about the inflated contract. The guy is an AHL player at best.

Seabrook and Phaneuf were both good at one point. Doesn't mean I'd take him on my team now. Asset depreciates over time and the game evolves past them.

If Ottawa were to take a bad contract, I think they would target players who can still have a role in the NHL, preferably on shorter terms contracts.
May 23, 2019 at 10:34 a.m.
Banned
I'm not sure if you've seen him play recently... He literately cannot keep up with the play... It's not even about the inflated contract. The guy is an AHL player at best.

Seabrook and Phaneuf were both good at one point. Doesn't mean I'd take him on my team now. Asset depreciates over time and the game evolves past them.

If Ottawa were to take a bad contract, I think they would target players who can still have a role in the NHL, preferably on shorter terms contracts.

Quoting: Chips_n_beer
Vegas laughs at that offer for Miller, you will have to offer a 2nd and some juice

Quoting: Riley816

Alright let's hope the Sens can make like bandits and get some draft steals.

Some are saying the upcoming draft is super deep in the 2nd round. Quite comparable to the 2003 NHL Entry draft, 1st round only.

2nd Round Picks That Were Pretty Nifty Include:

PATRICE BERGERON
JOE NIEUWENDYK
DUNCAN KEITH
PAUL STASTNY
MIKE CAMMALERI
SHEA WEBER
PATRIK ELIAS
DOUGHT WEIGHT
MIKE FISHER
ILYA BRYZGALOV
MILAN LUCIC
RYAN O'REILLY
JAMES NEAL
PETER BUDAJ
WAYNE SIMMONDS
PK SUBBAN
MARC EDWARD VLASIC
JONATHAN CHEECHOO
DAVID BACKES
FELIX POTVIN
MICHAEL PECA

NIKITA KUCHEROV
May 23, 2019 at 4:42 p.m.
Banned

You are making that judgement based on his play for 1 team. It's like you ignore his play in washington. Like I said. No one is saying he's all world. But how a coach uses you, what you are asked to do, fitting it with your actual skill set, having the right system all goes a long way. There are plenty of players who are misused in their career. They get moved and Boom, they look like much better players.
The point is pretty clear, he's clearly shown that he has some level of talent. He wouldn't have been signed to that huge contract if he didn't. The question is does a change of scene, different system, coach whatever help him bounce back. He's only 30, he clearly has a year or two left in his play if the team can figure out how to use him.
May 23, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
You are making that judgement based on his play for 1 team. It's like you ignore his play in washington. Like I said. No one is saying he's all world. But how a coach uses you, what you are asked to do, fitting it with your actual skill set, having the right system all goes a long way. There are plenty of players who are misused in their career. They get moved and Boom, they look like much better players.
The point is pretty clear, he's clearly shown that he has some level of talent. He wouldn't have been signed to that huge contract if he didn't. The question is does a change of scene, different system, coach whatever help him bounce back. He's only 30, he clearly has a year or two left in his play if the team can figure out how to use him.

Ok, so why not trade for Lucic for what he did in Boston?

Or, Backes for what he did in St Louis?

Or Ladd for what he did in Winnipeg?

Should I go on? Or
May 23, 2019 at 4:55 p.m.
Banned
Ok, so why not trade for Lucic for what he did in Boston?

Or, Backes for what he did in St Louis?

Or Ladd for what he did in Winnipeg?

Should I go on? Or

It's funny that you mention that. Because you have to ask, how important was Backes coming into the line up for boston this playoffs?
Look some contracts are worse than others. The reason you don't take a run at Lucic is because wingers are a dime a dozen. It's the easiest position to find in all of hockey. You don't "need" to take a run at that. On top of it, his contract is a mess. Alzner doesn't come with a NTC, his contract is only a 7 team list. It's worth a lot less, and is shorter.
Like I said, taking a risk on him, getting something for doing it, might not be all that bad.
May 23, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
It's funny that you mention that. Because you have to ask, how important was Backes coming into the line up for boston this playoffs?
Look some contracts are worse than others. The reason you don't take a run at Lucic is because wingers are a dime a dozen. It's the easiest position to find in all of hockey. You don't "need" to take a run at that. On top of it, his contract is a mess. Alzner doesn't come with a NTC, his contract is only a 7 team list. It's worth a lot less, and is shorter.
Like I said, taking a risk on him, getting something for doing it, might not be all that bad.

Don't think we have the same definition of Important... He's been a healthy scratch for like half the games lol

I'd honestly rather just take a run at Ceci and see if he can turn his game around. I mean I don't mind the other trades, but I 100% out on Alzner. And OTT doesn't need any more picks.
May 23, 2019 at 5:12 p.m.
Banned
Don't think we have the same definition of Important... He's been a healthy scratch for like half the games lol

I'd honestly rather just take a run at Ceci and see if he can turn his game around. I mean I don't mind the other trades, but I 100% out on Alzner. And OTT doesn't need any more picks.

you just make things up as you go. Do you even watch the games. Boston has played 17 playoff games, he's played 11. Basically he sat out the first few games and then boston realized they needed him on the ice. Even playing a small roll it has made a big difference because of his style of play.
The point is Alzner could still be a serviceable player, ottawa needs to hit the cap floor, and they get something back for him. It's not all too bad. If he looks good in a limited roll he can then be flipped as an asset. Teams are always looking for defense. There aren't enough of them to go around. So you build him up, put him in good positions and play him to his strengths and flip him out.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll