Forums/Armchair-GM

Turning a New Leaf

Created by: BeLeafer91
Team: 2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 14, 2016
Published: Jun. 14, 2016
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Florida's moves last season show they want to win now. Bozak and VanReimsdyk bolsters their offense. Bozak can fill the role they hoped Bolland fulfill. They just traded Gudbranson to the Canucks leaving a bit of hole in their defense. Cowen plays a similar game to him.

Barrie and Gardiner play a very similar type of game, like the Eberle of defenceman with Barrie being better. Gardiner offers more size.

Datsyuk is salary dump for Detroit, Jurco and Pulkkinen have been suggested as the price to take the contract. The loss of Datsyuk leaves a big hole down the middle. Kadri is no #1 center but does help fill the void.

There is no ideal solution for the Predators, its a matter of picking their poison. This trade allows them to keep Jimmy Vesey who is ready to play in their top six or top nine right now.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$4,600,000
3$800,000
3$925,000
4$1,900,000
3$950,000
3$950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$800,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Reinhart, Sam
Additional Details:
2016 1st round pick (#8)
BUF
    2016 1st round pick (#1)
    2016 1st round pick (#30 via Pittsburgh)
    TOR
      2017 2nd round pick
      Lukas Jasek
      TOR
        Tyson Barrie
        COL
        1. Gardiner, Jake
        Additional Details:
        Connor Carrick
        Jeremy Bracco
        DET
        1. Greening, Colin
        2. Kadri, Nazem
        3. Michalek, Milan ($2,000,000 retained)
        Additional Details:
        Tony Cameranesi
        TOR
          2016 1st round pick (#17)
          2017 2nd round pick
          NSH
            2016 2nd round pick (#31)
            Nolan Vesey
            (Likely allows them to sign their prospect Jimmy Vesey)
            Dominic Toninato
            J.J. Piccinich
            TOR
            1. Crouse, Lawson
            2. McCann, Jared
            Additional Details:
            2016 1st round pick
            Buyouts
            Retained Salary Transactions
            Buried
            ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
            23$73,000,000$55,220,334$512,000$5,777,500$17,779,666
            Left WingCentreRight Wing
            $2,500,000$2,500,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
            RW
            UFA - 2
            $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
            RW
            UFA - 3
            $5,250,000$5,250,000
            LW, RW
            M-NTC
            UFA - 2
            $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
            RW
            UFA - 2
            $736,666$736,666 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
            RW
            UFA - 2
            $900,000$900,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
            C, LW
            UFA - 2
            $686,667$686,667 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            $950,000$950,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 2
            $575,000$575,000
            C
            UFA - 1
            $900,000$900,000
            RW, LW
            UFA - 1
            $4,500,000$4,500,000
            C, LW
            UFA - 1
            Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
            $1,900,000$1,900,000
            LD
            UFA - 2
            $5,000,000$5,000,000
            LD
            UFA - 6
            $4,150,000$4,150,000
            G
            UFA - 1
            $4,600,000$4,600,000
            RD
            UFA - 4
            $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
            RD
            UFA - 1
            $950,000$950,000
            LD
            UFA - 1
            $925,000$925,000
            LD
            UFA - 1
            $800,000$800,000
            G
            UFA
            $3,000,000$3,000,000
            RD
            M-NTC
            UFA - 1
            $800,000$800,000
            RD
            UFA - 1
            ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
            $5,300,000$5,300,000
            RW
            NMC
            UFA - 4

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
            • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 11:40 a.m.
            No deal for both sides on every trade
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 11:40 a.m.
            leafs1967again
            I find that Buffalo trade pretty decent. Not sure others will agree.

Why is NSH trading a 1st for Nolan Vesey lol. He is terrible. So is the FLA offer - FLA wouldn't touch that.
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 12:05 p.m.
            Ya. Most trades don't make sense. I like Reinhart but that's a significant haul heading back the other way. Also, no team can have more than 3 retained salaries on the books at one time.
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 12:16 p.m.
            Quoting: leafs1967again

Why is NSH trading a 1st for Nolan Vesey lol. He is terrible. So is the FLA offer - FLA wouldn't touch that.

Nashville is having trouble signing their prospect Jimmy Vesey, Nolan's older brother who's actually good. There's rumours that Leafs will sign him and Nashville could cry foul over tampering. So instead of that mess, just trade Nolan Vesey to them for 1st round pick.
            From last season, it appears that Florida is keen on winning now. Bozak and VanRiemsdyk makes them much better up front and they both only have one year left on their contracts but could be resigned. I think all they'd need is a top four UFA defenceman.
            Huberdeau Barkov Jagr
            Bjugstad Trochek VanRiemsdyk
            Jokinen Bozak Smith

Also:
            Detroit is trying to dump Datsyuk's salary, Robidas's 3M cap hit can be written off like the Leafs did last season, Cowen's contract can be bought out at reported (something along the lines of) 650K cap credit this season and 750K cap hit the season after.

Chicago is also trying to dump Bickell's contract, they demoted him to AHL last season. Hence the draft picks.

Not too confident about Edmonton trade, though looking at their lineup I think Hunwick would fit nicely with their young blueline and play more when needed. Yakupov who has underachieved is rumoured to be available but I'm not sure what the Edmonton would want. I figured Kadri after comparing stats.
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 12:30 p.m.
            LongtimeLeafsufferer
            If you have Percy, Harrington, Scrivens, Bickell, Holland and Junco playing for the Leafs......well if the team could finish lower than 30th they would.
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 12:38 p.m.
            Some interesting trades there.

Really don't like the Buffalo trade, Reinhart has been playing wing for Buffalo and we are giving up 3 first rounders including first overall for him plus the 8th? Seems to heavily favour Buffalo..
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 12:46 p.m.
            Quoting: rgtai

Really don't like the Buffalo trade, Reinhart has been playing wing for Buffalo and we are giving up 3 first rounders including first overall for him plus the 8th? Seems to heavily favour Buffalo..

Reinhart is a natural centre, he played wing in Buffalo because they have O'Reilly and Eichel and it was his rookie season. I think Reinhart is pretty good but not sure what the right balance would be. I think the price would be steep as he had strong rookie debut and was the 2nd overall pick.
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 1:28 p.m.
            Quoting: BeLeafer91

Nashville is having trouble signing their prospect Jimmy Vesey, Nolan's older brother who's actually good. There's rumours that Leafs will sign him and Nashville could cry foul over tampering. So instead of that mess, just trade Nolan Vesey to them for 1st round pick.
            From last season, it appears that Florida is keen on winning now. Bozak and VanRiemsdyk makes them much better up front and they both only have one year left on their contracts but could be resigned. I think all they'd need is a top four UFA defenceman.
            Huberdeau Barkov Jagr
            Jokinen Bozak Smith

Also:
            Detroit is trying to dump Datsyuk's salary, Robidas's 3M cap hit can be written off like the Leafs did last season, Cowen's contract can be bought out at reported (something along the lines of) 650K cap credit this season and 750K cap hit the season after.

Chicago is also trying to dump Bickell's contract, they demoted him to AHL last season. Hence the draft picks.

Not too confident about Edmonton trade, though looking at their lineup I think Hunwick would fit nicely with their young blueline and play more when needed. Yakupov who has underachieved is rumoured to be available but I'm not sure what the Edmonton would want. I figured Kadri after comparing stats.

So because the Leafs may have "tapered" Nashville gives us a 1st????
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 1:56 p.m.
            Quoting: Leafaholic

Huberdeau Barkov Jagr
            Jokinen Bozak Smith

Also:

hahaha,..yes, obviously. "Sorry Nashville for speaking with your player and telling him to sign with us...here...accept his no-skill brother as our apology and allow us to take that onerous 1st round pick off your hands."
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 1:56 p.m.
            Quoting: palhal
            If you have Percy, Harrington, Scrivens, Bickell, Holland and Junco playing for the Leafs......well if the team could finish lower than 30th they would.

LOL. This is very true
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 2:56 p.m.

Reinhart is a natural centre, he played wing in Buffalo because they have O'Reilly and Eichel and it was his rookie season. I think Reinhart is pretty good but not sure what the right balance would be. I think the price would be steep as he had strong rookie debut and was the 2nd overall pick.

Reinhart is a center but if I remember correctly there was talk of him being a wing in the NHL when he was drafted. When you are giving 1st overall + for and second overall pick the plus needs to be on the other side. I don't think Reinhart and the player you get at 8 given the drop off in the draft is greater than the number 1 pick that gets you a potential franchise center. In Reinhart's year nobody was putting the franchise tag on him.
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 6:17 p.m.

HAHA, it'd be Reinhart++ for the 1st overall pick. Value on every trade here is way off
            Jun. 14, 2016 at 7:55 p.m.
            After reading this, my eyes hurt.

Seriously, Kadri for Yakupov?

I love Sam Reinhart... But I would walk up one side of him and down the other wearing stilletto heels to get to Auston Matthews.

I see you slipped Poile a roofie to get him to make that trade.
            Jun. 16, 2016 at 12:54 a.m.

Huberdeau Barkov Jagr
            Jokinen Bozak Smith

Also:

Quoting: Juice

Huberdeau Barkov Jagr
            Jokinen Bozak Smith

Also:

hahaha,..yes, obviously. "Sorry Nashville for speaking with your player and telling him to sign with us...here...accept his no-skill brother as our apology and allow us to take that onerous 1st round pick off your hands."

Quoting: LoovTrain
            After reading this, my eyes hurt.

Seriously, Kadri for Yakupov?

I love Sam Reinhart... But I would walk up one side of him and down the other wearing stilletto heels to get to Auston Matthews.

I see you slipped Poile a roofie to get him to make that trade.

There's no ideal option for Predators on Jimmy Vesey. Option A: Let him walk as a UFA. Option B: Trade his rights to Toronto for a draft pick Option C: Acquire his brother at a cost. Nashville is ready compete now not in the future, Jimmy Vesey is ready contribute now. So paying extra to acquire his brother is far better than getting a low draft pick for him. Poile won't be thrilled to make this trade but its better than losing him. Either way any Vesey trade will be dressed up as "hockey deal". Also the Vesey camp will have to be okay with this arrangement so that upon completing the trade Jimmy Vesey doesn't say anything about tampering. This is assuming that the Leafs have talked to him in secret.

Also I made some changes and tweaks.

To create a post please Login or Register
            Question:
            Options:
            Add Option
            Submit Poll