Forums/Armchair-GM

From an inside source

Created by: Nick628
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2019
Published: Jun. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Hawks are favored to take Byram at 3. This makes a ton of sense. Time to move Gus and Arty. Sign a big free agent winger and give the young guns a shot. Dress 7 dmen. Give Seabs 10 minutes a night or scratch him and bring in a forward. This team looks nice and could make a splash if the young guns step up.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,500,000
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Byram, Bowen
3$950,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Drouin, Jonathan
  2. 2019 2nd round pick (MTL)
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (MTL)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$61,925,020$0$4,765,000$21,074,980
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, C, RW
RFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 3
Byram, Bowen
$950,000$950,000
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:14 a.m.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/443888

I Like your comment about “trashcan” maatta wink

Seriously though, from what I’ve read, it sounds like hawks are going Turcotte at #3. They’re both gonna be excellent players. Really no “bad” choice
Nick628 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:17 a.m.
If you trade Gustafsson who realistically plays D next year. Neither Boqvist or Byram would.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:18 a.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/443888

I Like your comment about “trashcan” maatta wink

Seriously though, from what I’ve read, it sounds like hawks are going Turcotte at #3. They’re both gonna be excellent players. Really no “bad” choice

Oh I’m not a huge fan of this trade Hahahaha. But yea I know a guy who writes for CSN chicago and he said word on the street byram is the man... prayers that it is cause he’s almost NHL ready and he just turned 18 like a week ago or something lol.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:18 a.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
Everything I've heard indicates forward, but Byram is fine too.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:20 a.m.
Quoting: Rusty_Shackelford
If you trade Gustafsson who realistically plays D next year. Neither Boqvist or Byram would.

Word is that Byram is *potentially* NHL ready. Bo signed last year for the strict reason that he has a legit shot of making this team this year.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:21 a.m.
Quoting: CFMan
Everything I've heard indicates forward, but Byram is fine too.

I heard this from a reporter for the hawks. We’ll see. I’m hoping it’s not a forward to be honest.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:25 a.m.
Quoting: Nick628
Oh I’m not a huge fan of this trade Hahahaha. But yea I know a guy who writes for CSN chicago and he said word on the street byram is the man... prayers that it is cause he’s almost NHL ready and he just turned 18 like a week ago or something lol.

Hawks are already loaded at D but I agree, he is the most NHL ready outside of the top 2.

Byram-Boqvist
Beaudin-Jokiharju
Krys-Mitchell

Man hawks have a loaded group of D prospects
Nick628 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:28 a.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
Hawks are already loaded at D but I agree, he is the most NHL ready outside of the top 2.

Byram-Boqvist
Beaudin-Jokiharju
Krys-Mitchell

Man hawks have a loaded group of D prospects

Big problem is Keith and seabs jamming it up. Will be interesting to see what happens with expansion draft. I’m all in on scratching seabs lol. Piss him off and get him to waive his NTC. Byram had Niedermayer numbers. Not saying he will be the next Niedermayer but the stats are the stats. Think you gotta take a potential stud d who’s falling to three because we potentially have the next Crosby vs. Ovi in Hughes and Kakko.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:32 a.m.
Word is that Byram is *potentially* NHL ready. Bo signed last year for the strict reason that he has a legit shot of making this team this year.

No. He signed for the signing bonus. He even said himself he has to get stronger and better in the neutral AND d zone. The Hawks talked to London about possibly switching him to Forward and they're contemplating sending him back to London.

Nowadays I've learned reporters report less than they speculate. Whether it's Turcotte or Byram I don't think there's a wrong choice.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.
No. He signed for the signing bonus. He even said himself he has to get stronger and better in the neutral AND d zone. The Hawks talked to London about possibly switching him to Forward and they're contemplating sending him back to London.

Nowadays I've learned reporters report less than they speculate. Whether it's Turcotte or Byram I don't think there's a wrong choice.

To each their own. Bo has a legit shot at making this team next year.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:41 a.m.
I guess we dont need a 4th line RW. Kane will just double shift for 82 games or more
JackBurton liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:59 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks

Gus has never played any D in his life, he just puts up points and roves around his own zone listlessly until he is confused as to how that little black circular thing got into the netty thing.
Nick628 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:01 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks

I think legitimate is too strong a word. "A small chance" is a much more appropriate way to put it. The chances of a defenseman who hasn't fully grown into his own frame yet playing right off the bat are slim to none.

Though to be fair, he is one of the best I can recall seeing in a long time... Hence, the small chance.
PhillDaThrill and ChiHawk liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:03 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Quoting: PhillDaThrill
I guess we dont need a 4th line RW. Kane will just double shift for 82 games or more

Colliton had him doing a ****load of it anyway last year...

But yeah, come on @Nick628 just finish the thing out, it really wouldn't have been that hard.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:08 a.m.
Quoting: JackBurton
Gus has never played any D in his life, he just puts up points and roves around his own zone listlessly until he is confused as to how that little black circular thing got into the netty thing.

He's not quite that bad. That's David Rundblad level
ChiHawk and JackBurton liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:34 a.m.

C'mon that's crazy talk. Gus in the first 3rd of the season defensively was horrible. Gus in the middle 3rd of the season was bad. The last 3rd he was average on D. Bottom line, there is not one player on the ice in a indianhead sweater that improved so dramatically. If Gus picks up where he left off and improves 1/2 as much as he did last year this season, he will be a legit 1st liner assuming he has a stay at home D guy paired with him.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:37 a.m.

Boqvist is pretty straight forward as well as the head of player development that he's most likely headed back to the Knights. It's the best move for him right now IMO also. Have you watched the guy play? At the Juniors level, while being dynamic with the puck which we expect, he was defensively getting knocked around quite a bit. The kid needs to grow into his frame more and work on his defensive game. It was clear to others and I agree, he's not NHL ready yet.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:41 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
He's not quite that bad. That's David Rundblad level

Hahaha, fair enough. But he isn't too far above Rundblad level...
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:47 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Quoting: ChiHawk
C'mon that's crazy talk. Gus in the first 3rd of the season defensively was horrible. Gus in the middle 3rd of the season was bad. The last 3rd he was average on D. Bottom line, there is not one player on the ice in a indianhead sweater that improved so dramatically. If Gus picks up where he left off and improves 1/2 as much as he did last year this season, he will be a legit 1st liner assuming he has a stay at home D guy paired with him.

Wait, how is it now that our metric for projecting that a guy could be a legitimate 1st liner (and that is the biggest "could" I've ever seen in my life) be someone who was, in your laid-out-three-stages:
1. Defensively horrible
2. Bad
3. Average

Starting at 1 on a scale of 1-10 and maybe rising to a 4 does not somehow extrapolate out to the possibility of reaching 8-9 simply by upward trajectory. Dramatic improvement is not an indication of the ability to make it to the level of an elite defenseman. You either have it, or you don't. I agree with you in just about everything, but Gus is a crap defenseman, and will NEVER even sniff a 1st liner's jock.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:52 a.m.
Wait, how is it now that our metric for projecting that a guy could be a legitimate 1st liner (and that is the biggest "could" I've ever seen in my life) be someone who was, in your laid-out-three-stages:
1. Defensively horrible
2. Bad
3. Average

Starting at 1 on a scale of 1-10 and maybe rising to a 4 does not somehow extrapolate out to the possibility of reaching 8-9 simply by upward trajectory. Dramatic improvement is not an indication of the ability to make it to the level of an elite defenseman. You either have it, or you don't. I agree with you in just about everything, but Gus is a crap defenseman, and will NEVER even sniff a 1st liner's jock.

Disagree with your ratings. More like a scale of 1 to 5. 3 being average and that's about where Gus was at the end of the season, maybe 2.5.

A 1st liner doesn't have to be a defensive d guy. Karlsson is a good example; he's not much more then a 3 defensively BUT he's a 5 offensively.

It's about pairing guys correctly. Why two slow footed defensive shutdown guys should not be on the 1st line together either. Ideally you have a stay at home guy paired with a offensive D guy to transition the zone and play up in the O zone. Same thing with the way Bouchard and Boqvist were paired with the Knights. Boqvist is a nightmare on D....way worse then Gus, but paired correctly he was a breakout talent and people are calling him the next Karlsson.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 2:01 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Disagree with your ratings. More like a scale of 1 to 5. 3 being average and that's about where Gus was at the end of the season, maybe 2.5.

A 1st liner doesn't have to be a defensive d guy. Karlsson is a good example; he's not much more then a 3 defensively BUT he's a 5 offensively.

It's about pairing guys correctly. Why two slow footed defensive shutdown guys should not be on the 1st line together either. Ideally you have a stay at home guy paired with a offensive D guy to transition the zone and play up in the O zone. Same thing with the way Bouchard and Boqvist were paired with the Knights. Boqvist is a nightmare on D....way worse then Gus, but paired correctly he was a breakout talent and people are calling him the next Karlsson.

We can die on our respective hills, and I am totally fine with that. But I disagree with you that Gus was average. At no point did I ever feel that. He was always a free wheeling circus in his own zone. Because he panics, and he doesn't have that split-second instinct that allows him to make the right play without questioning himself or looking over his shoulder. And it will always burn him.

I also think your comparison to Boqvist is a bit unfair. Gus has had 155 NHL games since... Was his first year 2015? Either way, he's had that, and wherever he played before that, to figure his **** out. And I'm not seeing it. Boqvist is a kid playing in a game that is rapidly changing to a speed game. Defenseman take time to develop. as we all know and has been bandied about thousands of times. Let's give him a chance to improve his defensive game in London for another season or two before we really pass judgment on that. Let's just hope you aren't right, and he isn't **** in that department...
Jun. 19, 2019 at 2:04 a.m.
We can die on our respective hills, and I am totally fine with that. But I disagree with you that Gus was average. At no point did I ever feel that. He was always a free wheeling circus in his own zone. Because he panics, and he doesn't have that split-second instinct that allows him to make the right play without questioning himself or looking over his shoulder. And it will always burn him.

I also think your comparison to Boqvist is a bit unfair. Gus has had 155 NHL games since... Was his first year 2015? Either way, he's had that, and wherever he played before that, to figure his **** out. And I'm not seeing it. Boqvist is a kid playing in a game that is rapidly changing to a speed game. Defenseman take time to develop. as we all know and has been bandied about thousands of times. Let's give him a chance to improve his defensive game in London for another season or two before we really pass judgment on that. Let's just hope you aren't right, and he isn't **** in that department...

Wasn't comparing boqvist to Karlsson or Gus in that sense, was comparing the style of play of all 3 D guys. Karlsson and Boqvist both played with shut down guys on there teams, Gus didn't. That's the bigger issue. These offensive D guys (Boqvist and Karlsson also) aren't defensive studs by any means but that doesn't make them less valuable. Grant it, Gus needs to get better defensively but Karlsson and Gus defensively aren't as far apart as people are making it to be. Karlsson paired with Forsling or Dahlstrom would look pretty bad defensively too.
JackBurton liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 2:14 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Wasn't comparing boqvist to Karlsson or Gus in that sense, was comparing the style of play of all 3 D guys. Karlsson and Boqvist both played with shut down guys on there teams, Gus didn't. That's the bigger issue. These offensive D guys (Boqvist and Karlsson also) aren't defensive studs by any means but that doesn't make them less valuable. Grant it, Gus needs to get better defensively but Karlsson and Gus defensively aren't as far apart as people are making it to be. Karlsson paired with Forsling or Dahlstrom would look pretty bad defensively too.

Understood. But I would offer that, regardless of how offensive minded he is, Karlsson still has the defenseman's instinct that Gus lacks a bit of. I guess that means we have to double shift Jokiharju all next year, and he'll have to carry both Maatta and Gus on his back?

Kidding... I hope.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 2:49 a.m.
Quoting: PhillDaThrill

Colliton had him doing a ****load of it anyway last year...

But yeah, come on @Nick628 just finish the thing out, it really wouldn't have been that hard.

2 things:
1) dressing 7 d has become a thing
2) you guys should consider reading the description where I say, “Dress 7 d”. Reading is very hard on this website I see!!!
Jun. 19, 2019 at 2:57 a.m.

This is an awful argument. Please go to hockeyviz.com. Go to Chicago and see who Gus player next to most of the season. Answer is Keith. Keith has become a stable stay at home dmen. While you bring a great argument, Gus played with stable d most of the year. I think a Gus-Murphy pairing is optimal on many fronts. But what do I know. What do we know. Lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll