SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

This Marner stuff is hilarious

Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 21, 2019
Published: Jun. 21, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I can't get enough of how so many people blow everything out of proportion.

Want a prediction? On Wednesday of next week, Ferris asks a few GM's what they would offer in an offer sheet scenario and no one offers 11+. At that time, he comes back to Dubas and says team A will offer 7 x 10.5 and Dubas says, well we will offer 8 x 10 and that is our final offer. At which time, Marner will sign with TO or he'll get an offer sheet which TO will match.

Either way this whole 11+ nonsense is just comical. Its all speculation and conjecture based on a quote from Bob McKenzie that is taken out of context. He's said that Marner's camp wants to be in the ball park of Matthews. What that means has never been specifically said. MacKenzie also said that the ask was for the dollar amount and not term. What I take away from that is Marner wants north of 10 but knows as a winger, he's going to have to take a longer term to get it.

So what is going to happen? Marner will sign with TO next week and everyone is going to be so disappointed.

Kapanen will be traded and for a fair value and many Leaf fans will lose there minds because somehow he became a superstar last season.

Johnsson I feel may go to arbitration but that isn't certain.

Zaitsev will be traded and it will either be for a small return or be for way more than everyone in the world seems to think.

The reality of the situation is, fan emotion is at an all time high, and its being fueled by lazy reporting from sensational reporters like Kypreos, Friedman and others. They are not reporting facts but rumours and speculating wildly based of a very small amount of information.

Its all a big joke.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$10,500,000
2$3,200,000
2$2,800,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Fasching, Hudson [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Marleau is bought out. Also I just used Fasching as a placeholder, the purpose is Arizona will free up a contract slot by dumping a prospect that they hold no value in and TO sends him to the ECHL.
TOR
  1. Tanev, Christopher ($2,225,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Doesn't have to be Borgman but the 2nd and a younger defenceman should be enough to get Vancouver to retain some salary. They are still rebuilding and a cost controlled top 4 RHD (what a stupid designation) is a good plan of action for the Canucks and has been rumoured to happen.
VAN
  1. Borgman, Andreas
  2. Zaitsev, Nikita
  3. 2020 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,000,000$77,470,532$0$797,500$4,529,468
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$10,500,000$10,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,800,000$2,800,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$2,225,000$2,225,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$775,833$775,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 21, 2019 at 2:51 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Propeller09
It's negotiating and he was clearly trying to send a message to Marner. He knows his relationship with Matthews, and he knows he wants to stay. He will be back with the Leafs. It will be 4 x 10.5 if I had to guess. Which is what he wants.

Dubas is probably hoping someone swoops in with 7 x 11-12 because that's the deal he wants and he would match.

If a team comes in with 5-7 x 13m+ he takes the picks because as good as Marner is - it's hard to win with a winger taking that much cap space. Thus, they would likely be lottery picks.

my main point was the media blowing it out of proportion is because of Dubas and Marner. They both want the fan reaction, but for different reasons. It also allows them both to gauge where they stand.

Those numbers are way overblown. Max deal he'll sign for is 11 x 8 and I highly doubt he'll get that much money. Marner is a winger and that lowers his value, its a fact. So if he wants to get a bigger cap hit, he's going to have to accept a larger term. Matthews being a centre allowed him to get a lower term and for him that deal makes sense. For Marner, if he goes with a shorter deal, there is no proof there will be the cap space in 4 years to give him a bigger deal. A recession can hit and slow the economy and that could mean the cap stalls out. What then? Marner could be in a situation where he doesn't get a raise at all. What if a season is lost during the next CBA renewal? What if Marner blows his knee?

Matthews can reasonably expect his value will rise regardless of the cap, however, Marner being a winger doesn't have as much certainty which is why if he wants top dollar, he's going to have to give a team the cost certainty of a long term deal.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
CAPS
You have it all backwards. He wants a similar deal to Matthews.

5 Years at around 11 mil. Youre gonna be the one sitting and wondering why you were the one so wrong on this not the fans. Get some info right before you try acting like a hero.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I am not sure how anything is perfect. In a perfect world Marner signs an 8 year deal at 9.5. Kapanen and Johnsson sign deals for less than 3 for 3 years and Zaitsev is traded for a 1st and Tanev and somehow the Leafs also get Seth Jones for being nice.

The defence still has holes and the Leafs did lose Bracco to get Marleau off the books. That's a pretty steep price.

My point was you just dis-credited all these rumors as incorrect opinions, and then offered your own opinions. I'm not saying you will be wrong, but Bobby Mac tends to be spot on. Either way I'm just enjoying how interesting this off season is beginning to play out.

A lot of it starts tonight, and a lot of it revolves around the leafs. Should be fun!
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
marner will get paid what he wants. the leafs gave in to nylander. they will have to keep marner. i can see them trading kadri as well. a team like the rangers, which does have a brighter future then the leafs can offer 4 1st rd picks. they will be contender within the next 2 years. the isles could as well. but i dont think he accepts an offer sheet. if he doesn't get 11, i can see the leafs trading him tbh. i just find it hilarious that all year long, leafs fans scream happily that marner is a top 5 winger in the league, but when it comes down to contract numbers he's "smallish" and 10 other wingers are bettter then him. double standards are real

Totally many fans did that. I am not one of them, I've said up and down he's a great player and I want him in the Leafs, I also think he wants to remain in TO. As for "giving in" to Nylander, are there still people who think that happened? He's a 23 year who hasn't yet reached his prime and is signed for 5 more years at under 7 million. Considering Skinner, who's career high is 63 points, just signed for 9 million, I think Nylander's a bargain.

Back to Marner and his contract, he's terrific, and he's going to make over 10 million. I am not sure any team that is up an coming and can afford 11+ would also want to lose 4 1st rounders. That is just too much of a price. Boston has done such a good job of staying competitive because they keep striking it rich with the draft. Losing 4 1st rounders means you are not going to get many replacements if you need to move out some mid range players for cap reasons.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
Those numbers are way overblown. Max deal he'll sign for is 11 x 8 and I highly doubt he'll get that much money. Marner is a winger and that lowers his value, its a fact. So if he wants to get a bigger cap hit, he's going to have to accept a larger term. Matthews being a centre allowed him to get a lower term and for him that deal makes sense. For Marner, if he goes with a shorter deal, there is no proof there will be the cap space in 4 years to give him a bigger deal. A recession can hit and slow the economy and that could mean the cap stalls out. What then? Marner could be in a situation where he doesn't get a raise at all. What if a season is lost during the next CBA renewal? What if Marner blows his knee?

Matthews can reasonably expect his value will rise regardless of the cap, however, Marner being a winger doesn't have as much certainty which is why if he wants top dollar, he's going to have to give a team the cost certainty of a long term deal.

Marner is 10x the player Skinner is and look what he just got. Never topped 63pts and got 7 x 9.

I agree that is his max value, it doesn't mean someone won't offer it. That being said. I don't think he gets an offer because it doesn't really happen. I stand by my 4 x 10.5 (could be as low as 9.75m)

As for the economy - sports are somewhat economy proof because people turn more to entertainment when things are bad.
They pretty much all have insurance policies against injuries & that's why they call it betting on yourself. There is Risk, but there is also a ~12m reward.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DerekMaluish
You have it all backwards. He wants a similar deal to Matthews.

5 Years at around 11 mil. Youre gonna be the one sitting and wondering why you were the one so wrong on this not the fans. Get some info right before you try acting like a hero.

Again Bob McKenzie was the one to originally mention this and what he said was he want a deal in the range of Matthews for a cap hit but not the same term. Obviously he isn't expecting to get the same cap hit for less years. Plus that would make him the highest paid winger in the entire world. He hasn't done anything to deserve that yet. You just want to see the Leafs burn.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.
CAPS
Again Bob McKenzie was the one to originally mention this and what he said was he want a deal in the range of Matthews for a cap hit but not the same term. Obviously he isn't expecting to get the same cap hit for less years. Plus that would make him the highest paid winger in the entire world. He hasn't done anything to deserve that yet. You just want to see the Leafs burn.

Why doesnt he deserve that? And the way people are getting paid he will not be the highest paid winger in the league. the leafs made their mistake giving matthews that much money on that term. Marner is not that far off from matthews, so then he deserves to get paid like matthews with the same term. Not that hard.

And ps. if Bob mentions it... no one else needs too
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:10 p.m.
Totally many fans did that. I am not one of them, I've said up and down he's a great player and I want him in the Leafs, I also think he wants to remain in TO. As for "giving in" to Nylander, are there still people who think that happened? He's a 23 year who hasn't yet reached his prime and is signed for 5 more years at under 7 million. Considering Skinner, who's career high is 63 points, just signed for 9 million, I think Nylander's a bargain.

Back to Marner and his contract, he's terrific, and he's going to make over 10 million. I am not sure any team that is up an coming and can afford 11+ would also want to lose 4 1st rounders. That is just too much of a price. Boston has done such a good job of staying competitive because they keep striking it rich with the draft. Losing 4 1st rounders means you are not going to get many replacements if you need to move out some mid range players for cap reasons.

i agree, but like ive said before, i think he uses offer sheets as leverage. idk exactly what he wants, and what the leafs are giving him, but thye gotta offer him at least 10.5 mill. i still think nylander gets traded this offseason. going forward, if you have 3 players making 10 plus mill, that isn't feasible. nylander takes a good chunk at 7. you can get a decent return for him, after that bonus is paid off
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:12 p.m.
Banned
Why doesnt he deserve that? And the way people are getting paid he will not be the highest paid winger in the league. the leafs made their mistake giving matthews that much money on that term. Marner is not that far off from matthews, so then he deserves to get paid like matthews with the same term. Not that hard.

And ps. if Bob mentions it... no one else needs too

Discussing with you is fruitless, you buy into speculation from idiots like its the truth. No one has said anything about term except dummies on the internet. As for him deserving the same as a centre? That just isn't reality. Centres are worth more, and get paid more and are more valuable. Many teams have had elite wingers but no centres and they just can't ever win anything. Which is why wingers don't get paid the same as centres.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Price_is_the_goat
i agree, but like ive said before, i think he uses offer sheets as leverage. idk exactly what he wants, and what the leafs are giving him, but thye gotta offer him at least 10.5 mill. i still think nylander gets traded this offseason. going forward, if you have 3 players making 10 plus mill, that isn't feasible. nylander takes a good chunk at 7. you can get a decent return for him, after that bonus is paid off

Nylander is a contract that will look better and better as he moves into his prime, trading him is stupid. People who don't see that, don't like him because fans are like sheep, someone personality will say something and public perception will move and then people take that sentiment as truth and follow blindly. Nylander could easily become a point a game player, there are a tonne of signs thats what he'll be. If that is the case, his contract is the best on the Leafs. You don't trade something like that.

As for the offersheet leverage. I agree with you. It will be used as leverage. By who is the real question, if the best offer is a 7 year 10 million dollar offer, then Dubas has the leverage to get a deal more to his liking. If the best offer is a 7 year 11 million dollar deal, then Marner has leverage to squeeze some more money from TO. Either way I think a deal is done next week by Friday.
Price_is_the_goat liked this.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:18 p.m.
CAPS
Discussing with you is fruitless, you buy into speculation from idiots like its the truth. No one has said anything about term except dummies on the internet. As for him deserving the same as a centre? That just isn't reality. Centres are worth more, and get paid more and are more valuable. Many teams have had elite wingers but no centres and they just can't ever win anything. Which is why wingers don't get paid the same as centres.

All the insiders are saying its about term.. if you cant believe the insiders who have been proven to be right time after time, you are insane. And yes I agree centers get paid more than wingers, but you can argue marner is more important than matthews on the team. Plays more minutes plays the pk, is durable....
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.
Banned
All the insiders are saying its about term.. if you cant believe the insiders who have been proven to be right time after time, you are insane. And yes I agree centers get paid more than wingers, but you can argue marner is more important than matthews on the team. Plays more minutes plays the pk, is durable....

I don't know which Insiders you have been listening too, but no one has mentioned term. They keep saying Matthews money. Over and over again, Matthews, Matthews, Matthews. And no one can make an arguement that Marner is more important to the team than Matthews.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
CAPS
I don't know which Insiders you have been listening too, but no one has mentioned term. They keep saying Matthews money. Over and over again, Matthews, Matthews, Matthews. And no one can make an arguement that Marner is more important to the team than Matthews.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1142104969765457920
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:27 p.m.
Banned

Ferris is a ****ty agent, less term should mean way less money.
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
CAPS
Ferris is a ****ty agent, less term should mean way less money.

Not in todays age... if matthews signed for 8 yeasr he would be getting way more...

but im sure ur not gonna trust darren drager anyway cause hes an idiot on the internet... #DreamWorldYouLiveIn
Jun. 21, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Banned
Not in todays age... if matthews signed for 8 yeasr he would be getting way more...

but im sure ur not gonna trust darren drager anyway cause hes an idiot on the internet... #DreamWorldYouLiveIn

I trust Dreger for the most part, he does speculate a bit too much for my tastes sometimes. I believe Ferris is over reaching though. A 5 year 10+ million deal for a winger is too much and I would wager that the offers from other teams will be long term for that pricetag. Which again is why I am predicting a long term deal

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll