Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
UFA - 6
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 15, 2019 at 12:29 p.m.
Banned
Switch Garland to Hayton and add a 1st rounder and you have a deal
Jul. 15, 2019 at 12:31 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Eh.. you know Matthews is gonna be EXPENSIVE!
Jul. 15, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
I will say this. In raw talent Marner & Nylander are very similar. I’d say Willy has better skating, shot & stick handling whereas Mitch has better agility, creativity, vision & puck skills. However, Mitch has the better all round game. Defensively he’s not great but he still finished 14th in Selke last season, much credit owed to Tavares & Hyman.

The main difference between them is their work effort & attitude. Mitch is always playing hard with high intensity. He goes into the corners, races into positions, takes hits & attempts to win battles. When he makes a mistake he shows a willingness to learn.

Willy doesn’t show any discipline. When he doesn’t have the puck, he just floats around & when he has to battle it seems like he so easily gives up on the play. Very similar style to Kessel. Honestly that’s the reason why Marner will make 2-3 million more than Nylander & deservingly so.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
I will say this. In raw talent Marner & Nylander are very similar. I’d say Willy has better skating, shot & stick handling whereas Mitch has better agility, creativity, vision & puck skills. However, Mitch has the better all round game. Defensively he’s not great but he still finished 14th in Selke last season, much credit owed to Tavares & Hyman.

The main difference between them is their work effort & attitude. Mitch is always playing hard with high intensity. He goes into the corners, races into positions, takes hits & attempts to win battles. When he makes a mistake he shows a willingness to learn.

Willy doesn’t show any discipline. When he doesn’t have the puck, he just floats around & when he has to battle it seems like he so easily gives up on the play. Very similar style to Kessel. Honestly that’s the reason why Marner will make 2-3 million more than Nylander & deservingly so.

Nylander creates turnovers better than every other Maple Leaf. I am beginning to think no one pays attention to what happens on the actual ice. People on this site just read what other fans write and assume its correct. It almost never is.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: LoganOllivier
Nylander creates turnovers better than every other Maple Leaf. I am beginning to think no one pays attention to what happens on the actual ice. People on this site just read what other fans write and assume its correct. It almost never is.

I see him play all the time. When Nylander has the puck on his stick, he’s highly impressive & determined. However when he loses the puck or isn’t in a position to make an impact using his skill, this is the continuous effort I see from him:

https://mobile.twitter.com/torontobaghead/status/1121105242916102146

You never see this kind of effort from Marner, turnover or not.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
Kings v5 GM

Nylander is also far better at driving play and creating shots
Jul. 15, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
Banned
I see him play all the time. When Nylander has the puck on his stick, he’s highly impressive & determined. However when he loses the puck or isn’t in a position to make an impact using his skill, this is the continuous effort I see from him:

https://mobile.twitter.com/torontobaghead/status/1121105242916102146

You never see this kind of effort from Marner, turnover or not.

Nylander chases guys down and steals the puck back a lot, no one seems to notice this. Look at his takeaways from the season before last. You guys have all forgotten this and just rag on Nylander because the media does. He's going to score a pile of points this season and everyone is going to completely change their tunes.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Nylander chases guys down and steals the puck back a lot, no one seems to notice this. Look at his takeaways from the season before last. You guys have all forgotten this and just rag on Nylander because the media does. He's going to score a pile of points this season and everyone is going to completely change their tunes.

Yes before last season Nylander played a good all round game, so I am hoping that last season was a fluke and that it won’t happen again.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 1:47 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Jack_
Nylander is also far better at driving play and creating shots

What I don’t understand is: if Nylander is really so much better than Marner, why hasn’t it become a generally accepted idea at this point? It’s true that not everyone looks at advanced metrics in which Nylander dominates, but I almost cannot believe people are that stupid.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.
Banned
What I don’t understand is: if Nylander is really so much better than Marner, why hasn’t it become a generally accepted idea at this point? It’s true that not everyone looks at advanced metrics in which Nylander dominates, but I almost cannot believe people are that stupid.

If there is ever a question of "are people that stupid?" the answer is always "yes, yes they are."
Jul. 15, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
If there is ever a question of "are people that stupid?" the answer is always "yes, yes they are."

But even if there are really stupid people, the majority should still believe that Nylander is the far better player than Marner because the majority of people are not stupid. Yet the only people who I know that claim that Nylander is better than Marner are the ones that use advanced stats.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
Kings v5 GM

The point isnt the tweet but the chart shows that marner is only better at taking more shots (which actually surprised me because it looks like marner rarely shoots) and nylander is a far better play driver

Jul. 15, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
Banned
But even if there are really stupid people, the majority should still believe that Nylander is the far better player than Marner because the majority of people are not stupid. Yet the only people who I know that claim that Nylander is better than Marner are the ones that use advanced stats.

I am not sure I'd say Nylander is better than Marner. They are both top end talents, Marner has been able to put it all together more and he does appear to be the one trying harder as well. However, Nylander tries very hard, he just doesn't look like it. He reminds me of Sundin in that way, he's so fluid that he doesn't look like he's trying hard but its just how he plays. Fluid and relaxed but super good. For every 1 bad thing Nylander does a game (And he can look a little disinterested at times), he does 100 good things that no one seems to notice unless he's piling up the points. Fans are often emotional and if you are using emotions to govern your thoughts, you are a fool and foolish people don't value Nylander.
Jack_ liked this.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:19 p.m.
ChytilMania
You would get a better return for Matthews.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: Jack_
The point isnt the tweet but the chart shows that marner is only better at taking more shots
Quote:
(which actually surprised me because it looks like marner rarely shoots) and nylander is a far better play driver

Thanks for showing me, I actually saw that yesterday. These advanced stats, metrics and analytics serve their purpose but they don’t tell the whole story. What Stephen’s chart shows is that Nylander is better at maintaining possession of the puck in the offensive zone and finding space to generate a shot in a high danger area. There are many players who have better numbers in this facility than Marner, including Dominik Simon and Conor Sheary. However, it hides Marner’s ability to generate scoring chances with efficiency and unpredictability, which is a major part of what makes his game so effective.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
I am not sure I'd say Nylander is better than Marner. They are both top end talents, Marner has been able to put it all together more and he does appear to be the one trying harder as well. However, Nylander tries very hard, he just doesn't look like it. He reminds me of Sundin in that way, he's so fluid that he doesn't look like he's trying hard but its just how he plays. Fluid and relaxed but super good. For every 1 bad thing Nylander does a game (And he can look a little disinterested at times), he does 100 good things that no one seems to notice unless he's piling up the points. Fans are often emotional and if you are using emotions to govern your thoughts, you are a fool and foolish people don't value Nylander.

I agree about the skating point, his talent in this area makes him seem effortless.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
Banned
I agree about the skating point, his talent in this area makes him seem effortless.

What impressed me last year that apparently no one else saw, was the new element that Nylander started to employ in his game. He actually cycles the puck in the offensive zone now. Something most of the other skilled guys in TO don't really do. Matthews is great at when he does it, as is Tavares and Hyman, but Kapanen has no appetite for it, Marner always seems to find the puck and skate it out of the corners. But Nylander last season had a knack for pushing off the boards, making a move and then would take the puck towards the back of the net and get some really nice setups going. I think Nylander with Matthews and a bigger player that can crash the net and create space around the offensive zone is going to have a heyday out there. It could mean an even bigger year for Tavares and Marner as well since they won't always be taking on the best opposition. The Matthews Nylander duo is going to be scary good this year.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll