SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Top 10 best NHL defensemen in order?

Jul. 31, 2019 at 10:58 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: hanson493
only due to injury in EK's case. Look is he the best shut down no. But in terms of FULL ability he grades out as the best to me. Burns defensive game leaves a sour taste in my mouth. again hes not bad but hes not great either. hes slightly above average defensively. Hes way more of an offensive defenseman that can throw a nasty hit than a true 2 way defenseman.

But i'm saying how is he not even top 10?
Jul. 31, 2019 at 12:03 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
But i'm saying how is he not even top 10?

Because i think everyone i listed above him swings the other way. outside of EK and Letang. burns is in the top 20 for me just not necessarily top 10. Sure i am 100% biased toward mcavoy being in there but i mean, pietrangelo is an elite 2 way, mcavoy is FANTASTIC in his own end, he makes up for a lot of charas mistakes when he makes them. Werenski is another elite 2 way dman, his offensive upside is hurt a little with jones being there but he still possesses the ability to put up points. I just am weary to put Burns ahead of these guys when vlasic and karlsson are both better defenders than burns is. IF we are talking about fantasy hockey he is 100% top 10 but real life idk i just think the guys i listed are doing more with less opportunity. I mean think about everyones dpairing partner too. each of the guys i listed is either elevating/carrying their partner or allowing their partner to be more one way or the other. I would argue in burns case vlasics play allows burns to be more aggressive offensively, as charas play sort of hinders mcavoys offensive production.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 12:06 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Because i think everyone i listed above him swings the other way. outside of EK and Letang. burns is in the top 20 for me just not necessarily top 10. Sure i am 100% biased toward mcavoy being in there but i mean, pietrangelo is an elite 2 way, mcavoy is FANTASTIC in his own end, he makes up for a lot of charas mistakes when he makes them. Werenski is another elite 2 way dman, his offensive upside is hurt a little with jones being there but he still possesses the ability to put up points. I just am weary to put Burns ahead of these guys when vlasic and karlsson are both better defenders than burns is. IF we are talking about fantasy hockey he is 100% top 10 but real life idk i just think the guys i listed are doing more with less opportunity. I mean think about everyones dpairing partner too. each of the guys i listed is either elevating/carrying their partner or allowing their partner to be more one way or the other. I would argue in burns case vlasics play allows burns to be more aggressive offensively, as charas play sort of hinders mcavoys offensive production.

Burns just got 80 points though. And we both agreed he's good defensively. Yes, he's not amazing defensively for the NHL, but he's good defensively AND he's arguably the best offensive d-man in the league.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 12:09 p.m.
Burns just got 80 points though. And we both agreed he's good defensively. Yes, he's not amazing defensively for the NHL, but he's good defensively AND he's arguably the best offensive d-man in the league.

I would still rank offensively when healthy: karlsson/hedman, letang, then burns. Assumes 100% health and whatnot. i dont believe burns is the best offensive dman in the league and a said he is slightly above average. He isnt bad by any means but hes is still sort of a liability in his own zone in some cases.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I would still rank offensively when healthy: karlsson/hedman, letang, then burns. Assumes 100% health and whatnot. i dont believe burns is the best offensive dman in the league and a said he is slightly above average. He isnt bad by any means but hes is still sort of a liability in his own zone in some cases.

Yes, he makes lots of bad plays, and also lots of good defensive plays. I said arguably the best offensive d-man in the league, not the best. Also, i think he's better offensively than Letang.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
Yes, he makes lots of bad plays, and also lots of good defensive plays. I said arguably the best offensive d-man in the league, not the best. Also, i think he's better offensively than Letang.

If you gave letang a legit defensive minded partner like burns has, AND letang stayed healthy i think he could put up more points than burns. Part of me rating letang as high as i did is he hasnt had a legit top pairing guy next to him and hes still dominating guys.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 12:15 p.m.
If you gave letang a legit defensive minded partner like burns has, AND letang stayed healthy i think he could put up more points than burns. Part of me rating letang as high as i did is he hasnt had a legit top pairing guy next to him and hes still dominating guys.

Letang has 8 straight and im assuming this will be 9 straight seasons of 24+ minutes of average ice time.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 12:39 p.m.
Black Lives Matter

Letang has 8 straight and im assuming this will be 9 straight seasons of 24+ minutes of average ice time.

But Burns is a consistent 70-ish point guy. Letang sometimes gets around there, but only sometimes.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 3:06 p.m.
Below Market Value
But Burns is a consistent 70-ish point guy. Letang sometimes gets around there, but only sometimes.

Bruh, it's okay if someone doesn't think Burns isn't top 10, I don't think you're gonna convince hanson otherwise.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Bruh, it's okay if someone doesn't think Burns isn't top 10, I don't think you're gonna convince hanson otherwise.

I said hes top 20... just not top 10 to me.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jul. 31, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I said hes top 20... just not top 10 to me.

Agree to disagree?
hanson493 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll