Forums/Armchair-GM

After Hyman and Dermott are healthy

Created by: SammyT_51
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 29, 2019
Published: Sep. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
And Leafs can easily trade Ceci and clear 4.5m under cap which is not necessary.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,496,866$0$0$3,134

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,893,000$10,893,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 30, 2019 at 2:10 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Goulet
Kapanen is possible but highly improbable considering the direction the team is going. He didn't fit well on Matthews line and it remains to be seen how well he does with Tavares.
The return would be better but given how the team walks from all their UFAs, it's hard to imagine trading the younger, better Kapanen over the older Hyman considering their contract situations.

It may very well be a perimeter game they're after and I'm not advocating for or against it. The roster hasn't fit together particularly well the last couple of years but it seems closer to optimal now.

I guess the point I am trying to make, is why move an extremely useful player on a good contract (Keep in mind, a player the Leafs don't have a proven replacement for) just so you can keep 2 more spares in the press box. If it becomes a problem there are likely other options that can be considered but as is the case on this site and in this era of human history in general. You guys don't want to look beyond your 1 idea. There is always more than 1 option and your lack of creativity into find a solution is lacking in a big way.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I guess the point I am trying to make, is why move an extremely useful player on a good contract (Keep in mind, a player the Leafs don't have a proven replacement for) just so you can keep 2 more spares in the press box. If it becomes a problem there are likely other options that can be considered but as is the case on this site and in this era of human history in general. You guys don't want to look beyond your 1 idea. There is always more than 1 option and your lack of creativity into find a solution is lacking in a big way.

A useful player that is, at best, the 5th best winger on the team and more likely now 7th amongst wingers. He doesn't matter anymore and just like Brown, he is expendable because even though his contract is good, it isn't for the Leafs.

I always find you arguing with yourself amusing. Your point is obvious and I understand why fans like guys like Hyman. I'm not knocking him. He tries hard but he doesn't have the skill for the spot he's been playing. When the focus is on the weakest link on the line, the team is not playing to it's strength which is speed and skill.
It just is what it is.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 12:59 p.m.
Banned
A useful player that is, at best, the 5th best winger on the team and more likely now 7th amongst wingers. He doesn't matter anymore and just like Brown, he is expendable because even though his contract is good, it isn't for the Leafs.

I always find you arguing with yourself amusing. Your point is obvious and I understand why fans like guys like Hyman. I'm not knocking him. He tries hard but he doesn't have the skill for the spot he's been playing. When the focus is on the weakest link on the line, the team is not playing to it's strength which is speed and skill.
It just is what it is.

Ennis was supposed to be a skill guy, and he couldn't produce with Matthews. Hyman scored 20 goals, yes empty netters helped but its not like he doesn't put up points. The guy has done all the hard stuff no one else in the lineup has the heart to do and still puts up more than a point every 2 games and scored 20 goals in an injury shortened season. 1 less than Kapanen who gets all the love but hasn't produced as much as Hyman. Is Kapanen more skilled? Sure but do the Leafs really lack in skill?

You really don't understand why I think Hyman is necessary. You act like I am just a lunch pale type of player fan, I am not. I think they have their place and are important to a degree. Hyman on his contract with what he provides is a valuable piece of the puzzle. Moore, Marchment, Petan, whoever, all those guys are cheaper by more than a million but none can do what Hyman does. So taking out the only guy who likes crashing the net and replacing him with small skilled guys isn't a help. Sure chances on the rush are entertaining but that is all you are going to have when you replace the Hymans of the world with the Petan's of the world. Its fair weather fan stuff to think that only fast skilled perimeter players are going to win in all situations.

Remember every year in the playoffs, the refs put away their whistles and that is when small guys really start having trouble finding space, Hyman creates space for his teammates. Until someone else can prove to do the same, Hyman isn't going anywhere. This is why I am in favour of moving Kapanen.

I hope he takes off like a bat out of hell and then trade him for max value. Or keep him until injuries are a problem or something.
Oct. 1, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Ennis was supposed to be a skill guy, and he couldn't produce with Matthews. Hyman scored 20 goals, yes empty netters helped but its not like he doesn't put up points. The guy has done all the hard stuff no one else in the lineup has the heart to do and still puts up more than a point every 2 games and scored 20 goals in an injury shortened season. 1 less than Kapanen who gets all the love but hasn't produced as much as Hyman. Is Kapanen more skilled? Sure but do the Leafs really lack in skill?

You really don't understand why I think Hyman is necessary. You act like I am just a lunch pale type of player fan, I am not. I think they have their place and are important to a degree. Hyman on his contract with what he provides is a valuable piece of the puzzle. Moore, Marchment, Petan, whoever, all those guys are cheaper by more than a million but none can do what Hyman does. So taking out the only guy who likes crashing the net and replacing him with small skilled guys isn't a help. Sure chances on the rush are entertaining but that is all you are going to have when you replace the Hymans of the world with the Petan's of the world. Its fair weather fan stuff to think that only fast skilled perimeter players are going to win in all situations.

Remember every year in the playoffs, the refs put away their whistles and that is when small guys really start having trouble finding space, Hyman creates space for his teammates. Until someone else can prove to do the same, Hyman isn't going anywhere. This is why I am in favour of moving Kapanen.

I hope he takes off like a bat out of hell and then trade him for max value. Or keep him until injuries are a problem or something.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm also not the one making personnel decisions for the Leafs, neither are you. The people that are in control, have been moving out the Hyman's of the world for cheaper skill guys. To me, given the cap situation, I believe it is very likely there are trades coming rather than the alternative but it doesn't matter to me either way.

I too am concerned about the size and physicality of this Leafs group but I also don't believe we've seen the best of what this group can do because prior to this year, it was an incomplete project.

If Hyman misses 15 games and this all offence style is working, it's a coin flip whether he takes the ice again. Babcock wants him back, many others do as well but Dubas has gotten rid of all the players with flaws in their game and I'd be surprised if Hyman lasts the year.

I'd love to see someone grab Hyman's spot and produce career years for the line but until someone has a chance, we don't know who can.

Everyone said Zaitsev and Marleau couldn't be moved. No one wanted to move Kadri or let the free agents walk. Dubas doesn't care what we all think and the approach I take is focusing on what he might do given what he has done. A big winger with hands for that line would be lovely..we know what no hands can do..
Oct. 1, 2019 at 2:22 p.m.
Banned
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm also not the one making personnel decisions for the Leafs, neither are you. The people that are in control, have been moving out the Hyman's of the world for cheaper skill guys. To me, given the cap situation, I believe it is very likely there are trades coming rather than the alternative but it doesn't matter to me either way.

I too am concerned about the size and physicality of this Leafs group but I also don't believe we've seen the best of what this group can do because prior to this year, it was an incomplete project.

If Hyman misses 15 games and this all offence style is working, it's a coin flip whether he takes the ice again. Babcock wants him back, many others do as well but Dubas has gotten rid of all the players with flaws in their game and I'd be surprised if Hyman lasts the year.

I'd love to see someone grab Hyman's spot and produce career years for the line but until someone has a chance, we don't know who can.

Everyone said Zaitsev and Marleau couldn't be moved. No one wanted to move Kadri or let the free agents walk. Dubas doesn't care what we all think and the approach I take is focusing on what he might do given what he has done. A big winger with hands for that line would be lovely..we know what no hands can do..

I hear what you are saying. And if Mikheyev or Korshkov can be those big guys that grind and also have some hands, then I am all in favour of moving Hyman. Currently though, hes something unique on the team and doesn't cost much. I'd keep him and move someone else.
Oct. 2, 2019 at 9:35 a.m.
Official Leafs Fan
I hear what you are saying. And if Mikheyev or Korshkov can be those big guys that grind and also have some hands, then I am all in favour of moving Hyman. Currently though, hes something unique on the team and doesn't cost much. I'd keep him and move someone else.

I think every person in the room and in management sees how awesome Hyman is even when fans that don’t know hockey and just like the fancy moves that Hyman doesn’t do, don’t. Hyman is a beast and would be missed on that top line, don’t believe it? Let’s see is Tavares scores at a 50 pace and Marner 100 Point while Hyman is out, I’ll bet not and I’ll bet their plus minus takes a hit, so don’t worry about these fans saying Hyman is gonna be moved cause the team is much smarter than they
Oct. 2, 2019 at 9:41 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Hackadart
I think every person in the room and in management sees how awesome Hyman is even when fans that don’t know hockey and just like the fancy moves that Hyman doesn’t do, don’t. Hyman is a beast and would be missed on that top line, don’t believe it? Let’s see is Tavares scores at a 50 pace and Marner 100 Point while Hyman is out, I’ll bet not and I’ll bet their plus minus takes a hit, so don’t worry about these fans saying Hyman is gonna be moved cause the team is much smarter than they

I think they'll still be productive but the line will change a bit from where they were really successful. Hyman adds a cycle element and a lot of havoc in front that I just never see from Kapanen. I think what we'll see is Tavares and Marner having a lot more rush chances but they'll also give up more rush chances and they won't have as good possession stats. If Kapanen has a quick start, which is very possible, fans will go nuts when he gets moved down when Hyman returns.

Clearly reality doesn't matter much to many fans because Kapanen gets so much love despite him scoring at a slower pace than Hyman last year and not doing a lot of the special things that Hyman does. Kapanen completely disappeared last season and yet he gets all the love. Hyman scores 20 and he's a bum. This is just a biproduct of the lunacy that is our society these days. Nylander is another example of this, no matter what he does this year he'll get very little respect. If he scores 130 points and wins the art ross, there will be loads of people calling him overrated and riding off Matthews coattails.
Hackadart liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll