Forums/Armchair-GM

Greene trade Devs

Created by: markykins1
Team: 2019-20 Washington Capitals
Initial Creation Date: Jan. 2, 2020
Published: Jan. 3, 2020
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
for playoff cup run to solidify top 4. could be done at TDL. Any adjustments? Don't know how valued Greene is to NJ or in general but think he's a nice one year shut down option.
Trades
WSH
  1. Greene, Andy ($1,250,000 retained)
NJD
  1. Kempný, Michal
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (WSH)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the COL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the WSH
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$72,729,295$1,150,000$632,500$8,770,705
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,700,000$6,700,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$5,166,667$5,166,667
RW
UFA - 5
$3,350,000$3,350,000
LW
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 4
$2,415,000$2,415,000
C
UFA - 4
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$8,000,000$8,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$6,100,000$6,100,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,275,000$1,275,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$2,345,000$2,345,000
RD
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$550,000$550K)
G
UFA - 2
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
LD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RD
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jan. 3, 2020 at 9:51 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
If somebody adds a pick on that deal its Jersey. Kempny is younger and has incredible fit next to Carlson.
Eli liked this.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
twentyeighteen
Quoting: SammyT_51
If somebody adds a pick on that deal its Jersey. Kempny is younger and has incredible fit next to Carlson.

Ok, but would NJ move him? I think his experience and shut down ability would be just what the Caps could use come April. Kemps slow to come back from injury it seems.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:35 a.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:45 a.m.
Quoting: markykins1
Ok, but would NJ move him? I think his experience and shut down ability would be just what the Caps could use come April. Kemps slow to come back from injury it seems.

Kempny's breaking out as a top offensive defenseman this year, league-wide. He's top 30 in even strength points, on either side. Kempny's puck movement could resurrect Subban. Yeah, they'd include Greene, along with Coleman.

edit: to clarify, I'm assuming NJ is out of the playoffs and don't care if Kempny's playing at 80% with whatever he's going through, for the rest of this year. I'm assuming they don't want to sell low and retain on Subban, and would rather have a legit top pair of Kempny and Subban next year to carry them into the playoffs as their forwards keep improving. Since they traded for Subban thinking long term value and not "how did this guy look in his last five games," I think they can see the value of buying low on Kempny. Greene is defensively solid, but doesn't move the puck and is almost a decade older than Kempny, at a 2M higher cap hit. While player value might be Kempny for Greene plus a forward, WSH is going to have to add that 3rd to get some retention and fit under the cap.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 10:47 a.m.
Retain more of Greene, but not giving Coleman, we have no reason. Keep the third too.
tesau315 liked this.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 11:01 a.m.
twentyeighteen
Quoting: Eli
Kempny's breaking out as a top offensive defenseman this year, league-wide. He's top 30 in even strength points, on either side. Kempny's puck movement could resurrect Subban. Yeah, they'd include Greene, along with Coleman.

edit: to clarify, I'm assuming NJ is out of the playoffs and don't care if Kempny's playing at 80% with whatever he's going through, for the rest of this year. I'm assuming they don't want to sell low and retain on Subban, and would rather have a legit top pair of Kempny and Subban next year to carry them into the playoffs as their forwards keep improving. Since they traded for Subban thinking long term value and not "how did this guy look in his last five games," I think they can see the value of buying low on Kempny. Greene is defensively solid, but doesn't move the puck and is almost a decade older than Kempny, at a 2M higher cap hit. While player value might be Kempny for Greene plus a forward, WSH is going to have to add that 3rd to get some retention and fit under the cap.

Plus I try to look ahead to next year. This could be seen as a salary dump also in a sense, especially if Seigs keeps improving and Fehrevary makes the team next year. Would actually rather move Jensen but we have no RHD...
Jan. 3, 2020 at 11:08 a.m.
Who adds what?
Edited Jan. 3, 2020 at 11:17 a.m.
Plus I try to look ahead to next year. This could be seen as a salary dump also in a sense, especially if Seigs keeps improving and Fehrevary makes the team next year. Would actually rather move Jensen but we have no RHD...

I guess, if the cap doesn't keep going up, that could make sense.... to say nothing of Djoos or Johansen winning a spot out of camp.

But with Kempny just five even strength points behind Heman, I mean, I could also see just keeping him, and putting him on LTIR if he's hurt.

edit: I think it's great that Victor HeDDDDman gets autocorrected to He-Man.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 11:18 a.m.
twentyeighteen
I guess, if the cap doesn't keep going up, that could make sense.... to say nothing of Djoos or Johansen winning a spot out of camp.

But with Kempny just five even strength points behind Heman, I mean, I could also see just keeping him, and putting him on LTIR if he's hurt.

Yes I see that. He could rebound as soon as this year.

The D or goaltending or both are just too leaky for a serious Stanley Cup run to me. I think Bmac needs to address this. They also need to cut down on the penalties, that's an obvious problem that I think will improve as they play on this year.
Eli liked this.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 11:39 a.m.
Who adds what?
Yes I see that. He could rebound as soon as this year.

The D or goaltending or both are just too leaky for a serious Stanley Cup run to me. I think Bmac needs to address this. They also need to cut down on the penalties, that's an obvious problem that I think will improve as they play on this year.

That could help. I think fixing the penalty kill already made penalties much less of an issue, but if they can stay tough and not take quite as many penalties, then yeah, that could help, too. It might be something coaching can address, but the team is still top-five in penalties taken, so clearing spots for a couple of nice guys might work out pretty well.

I like Andy Greene's style, but his puck possession numbers are unspectacular and he'd be the Caps' oldest player unless they re-sign Orpik.

There was a Toronto thread yesterday talking about trading Kapanen for a top pairing defenseman. They nixed my suggestion of Gudas, but they also just don't like me. You could try to sell them on Kempny for any one of their half dozen middle six wings. I mean, this year, sure, it's easire to face Kempny with NJ than TOR, but NJ has four legit centers under 24 years old. Next year, they're gonna be good. Might as well just get full value.
Jan. 3, 2020 at 12:09 p.m.
twentyeighteen
That could help. I think fixing the penalty kill already made penalties much less of an issue, but if they can stay tough and not take quite as many penalties, then yeah, that could help, too. It might be something coaching can address, but the team is still top-five in penalties taken, so clearing spots for a couple of nice guys might work out pretty well.

I like Andy Greene's style, but his puck possession numbers are unspectacular and he'd be the Caps' oldest player unless they re-sign Orpik.

There was a Toronto thread yesterday talking about trading Kapanen for a top pairing defenseman. They nixed my suggestion of Gudas, but they also just don't like me. You could try to sell them on Kempny for any one of their half dozen middle six wings. I mean, this year, sure, it's easire to face Kempny with NJ than TOR, but NJ has four legit centers under 24 years old. Next year, they're gonna be good. Might as well just get full value.

Wouldn't mind getting Kap or Johannson but we have essentially a #1 RHD and two #3 RHD's in our starting lineup with no replacement ready and I think they need an RHD, so we have to add etc...
Jan. 3, 2020 at 3:20 p.m.
Who adds what?
Wouldn't mind getting Kap or Johannson but we have essentially a #1 RHD and two #3 RHD's in our starting lineup with no replacement ready and I think they need an RHD, so we have to add etc...

The Leafs? They just re-signed Holl. They're letting Ceci walk. Right side is Barrie, Holl, Liljegren/Schmaltz/Dermott on his offside. Left side stays the same depending on how much Muzzin wants to get paid. If he leaves, it's a little rougher, with Rielly, Dermott, Sandin, Marincin. If Sandin's not ready and Muzzin walks, they might consider Kempny or Djoos over the summer. With LIljegren having a big year in the AHL, and Holl developing in the NHL, they're okay at RHD. Of course, it could be argued that Holl in the top four is not ideal, but Jensen's plus minus is weak this year, and if the Caps don't have cap space to re-sign Gudas the Leafs probably don't either.

I think Gudas and Jensen were both solid in top four roles last year, and are alternating as #4/5 this year just fine. They're not flashy. As Caps fans we're used to seeing "bottom four" defensemen like Niskanen, Shattenkirk, and Green who are #2-3 D on other teams, and show flashes of game-breaking skill. That's not what most teams have on their second pair.
markykins1 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll